Why do we all love Blight?

This is something that's been interesting to me for quite some time.

It's the fact that for the most part, pretty much everyone loves Blight. Survivors aren't complaining that he's unfair, broken, boring, etc. Meanwhile, he's beloved on the Killers' side as well, for being a very fun, speedy boi.

Just... how? How did this happen?! How did everyone come to love this drooling hunchback mutant (especially after his PTB state)?

Comments

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 753

I just love his bouncing around and his lore. I want more costumes. He’s so much fun even if I’m complete potato with him. Landing a lethal rush after correctly flicking toward a survivors juke is so rewarding.

also Lerry’s and Hawthorne labs are trash and I hate that I see those maps so often with him. Yet when I play a regular m1 or stealthy killer I tend to get Ormond or the asylum.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

He’s really fun to play.

But he’s not easy to play, so when you get downed by him as survivor you feel like they’ve earned it by playing well or you deserved it because you made a mistake. Likewise when you play him every down is quite satisfying.

I’m never impressed when a snare-spamming Freddy downs me (not hating on Freddy players but it’s not a hard power to use), but if a Blight can calculate his angles well enough to hit me it’s quite cool.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

Blight is extremely strong when played well and extremely punishing when played badly. Nothing about his kit really gives him free value you have to work for it.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264

Zoom zoom baby 🏎

In all seriousness Blight is a really fun

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

Killers like him because he goes fast

Survivors like him because he doesn't go through walls or instadown

• Greatamygdala
    Greatamygdala Member Posts: 292

Why would you hate him? He's the one doing maintenance on the realm's grass growth.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

Much like Clown, he is an honest killer.

But unlike Clown he has mobility to make him useful.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264

Sup bud at first glance slamming into a wall and trying to hit someone seemed a bit taxing, but with enough feed back the power shaped out pretty nice.

• unsafepallet
    unsafepallet Member Posts: 72

I honestly don't like the Blight that much. I haven't played as him but he's just annoying to play against.

Almost every Blight I've played against uses the exact same build, his counterplay is insanely easy, and I just think his design looks weird.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,469

I don't love blight, he's annoying and playing as him is even worse with the garbage FOV

• FrostySeal
    FrostySeal Member Posts: 628

Like the guys over here said, he's a strong but fair killer. As a survivor theres chances for you to counter him in chase and as a killer you have a lot of mobility and using his power can feel very satisfying.

• Avarice00
    Avarice00 Member Posts: 39

I like him because he really fits that trope of there's something moving around in the corn, but it went by so fast the main character didn't see it. In all seriousness, one of the few things that frightens me in this game at this point is hearing blight's bouncing noises and not seeing him.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

I agree, I feel like one of the many things people do is they overuse the power.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

He's a high-skill-cap-low-skill-floor mobility killer with a potentially amazing chase power that scales directly with the Blight players skill. He hard-counters basic, mindless strats like holding W and playing safe, and can even do something about actual genrushing thanks to the best mobility in the game. However, his power isn't super oppressive in a chase so outside of terrible map RNG the survivor can usually do something, at least.

Plus who doesn't want to repeatedly smack their face into a wall from time to time, y'know?

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,815

The only things I dislike about playing against Blight are 1) how predictable the Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer build is / having to constantly deal with that in solos or two-man and 2) him landing lots of BS-feeling hits while rushing because of his high movement speed.

Playing as Blight, there are two things that bug me as well. 1) I will often bounce when I feel I should have slid by something and vice versa, and 2) The first-person camera is annoyingly low.

---

I think the reason he's generally well liked has been well stated by others in this thread. Powerful power, high skill cap, plenty of available counterplay, forgiving due to his high mobility, etc. Especially coming after Pyramid Head and Deathslinger it was such a relief to get a killer that didn't have a braindead, largely uncounterable chase power.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

High skill cap killers are fun. Most people will say the most fun killers to be in a chase against are Nurse, Billy (RIP), and Blight. You have deep mechanical killers who require mechanical counterplay.

It's why killers like Freddy are so hated. With Freddy you simply press and hold a button to do the very powerful thing, and as a survivor your only option is to not run over the snare or play the distance perfectly. It's braindead.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,099

With Blight Developers already tested the ability and it works, that being high mobility with mainly Billy, and didn't try something brand new with him, like with Deathslinger with no mobility but extremelly oppressive chase thanks to his harpoon gun, Pyramid Head with his Torment hooks being basically tunnel ability and the Twins being 1 Killer split into two with their slugging and camping potential.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Cause he has a cute butt

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

I personally find going against him annoying specially since 10/10 of them use ruin+ undying + tinkerer.

• LatexT
    LatexT Member Posts: 111

I hate playing as Blight, however going against him is fun, I agree

• unsafepallet
    unsafepallet Member Posts: 72

Literally just run behind a wall whenever he tries to use his power. I've played against so many red rank Blights and this almost always seems to work.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

I don't love him. Haven't played as or against him to have really solid thoughts on him. His power seemed a bit simple and bland for a character with that more intelligent and dragged out lore. He runs into things really fast. I'm not that fond on how oppressive the high mobility killers can be which typically leads to easy team wipes against solos. He fits into that mold but doesn't feel as cheap as Spirit or as broken as Nurse. I like Oni best in terms of speedy boys since huge mobility isn't always gifted to him.

• Ghost_Face_Main
    Ghost_Face_Main Member Posts: 618

He's the most lore-centric killer in the game. I'm really interested in how his story will play out.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

I love going against blight because it's the only killer I can run from for more than ten seconds before I go down.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

If only all killers could be as cool as Blight...

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i mean, he does provide the comminuty with free drugs...

• Timeman63
    Timeman63 Member Posts: 185

I just had an amazing couple matches playing as Blight. Before I struggled pretty hard with understanding when to use his power and which objects I could bump into to mess with survivors and close in for the kill, and it was about as frustrating as learning how to curve as Billy. But once I got it, things just clicked into place, and it felt great to finally get the hang of a high tier killer. Outsmarting survivors by making them think you'll go for a Lethal Rush on one side of a pallet and instead chaining three of them to move to the other side and whack them, or scaring them into dropping down into a Lethal Rush are so sweet, and every hit feels well earned. That serum he injects into himself might as well be dopamine.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited December 2020

You wont know the limits of the killers power until you test it. If you played huntress testing your range cost you hatchets and time. But sometimes it not about playing optimally its all about slaming your head into the wall till you break the damn skill cap.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

True but I took the time and alot of effort to understand Blight, I admit I might not be the best but I enjoy him nonetheless

• Zarathos

Blights power is reliant on map tile changes I highly recommend regularly testing blights limits when certain maps receive updates or bug fixes with certain collision. I can see him having nursesque problems but they will never be on the same level as I can't blink up this game is unplayable.

• Ravean
    Ravean Member Posts: 98

You´re wrong... I don´t like to play as Sonic

• Zarathos

The problem with being faster then light you only live in darkness sonic meme intensifies.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

I am a survivor who doesn't like Blight, but that mainly comes from his animations and his rigging and not his power.