The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Let‘s talk about the Trapper

I love the concept and Design of the Trapper. However, he is far to weak compared to the other Killers and not really viable above rank 15. 

Let‘s start with the obvious problems. The Trapper wastes a lot of time collecting traps, carrying them across the map and setting them. The standard capacity of 1 is a far too low. The amount of time it takes to set a trap is a joke compared to how fast they can be disarmed.

Also, once Survivors have realized that they play against the Trapper, they usually don‘t fall for the traps anymore. This may have been different a year ago, but today they just know the good spots. Also, the traps hitbox is far too small. Most of the time, i only catch one or two per game, if at all. Well, catch is an exaggeration. They get trapped but free themselves in under 5 seconds. And this is not an exaggeration. They free themselves almost instantly. 

Considering how hard it is to trap a survivor in the first place, this is all I get? An almost instant escape and the survivor only gets injured? Of course only if he was healthy before. There is no consequence at all for an injured survivor to get caught. 

What the Trapper needs in my opinion is a considerable buff of his base kit. Trapped survivors should not be able to free themselves. Alternatively, survivors could be put in the dying state by the trap. The traps should be harder to see, have a larger trigger radius and disarming them should take longer and be a lot harder, maybe with a hard skill check. Failing the skill check would cause the survivor the be trapped. 

This may sound over the top, but I honestly believe that even all those buffs combined would not make the Trapper OP. His current state is a shame tbh.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Jed
    Jed Member Posts: 254

I could see maybe increasing the number of traps he starts with but not really sure after that. For me playing with trapper is like going fishing. You have good days and you have bad days hehe.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

@Terrortot said:
    I think trapper is extremely viable.  I usually only trap areas i know for a fact ill have to chase through, stops windows and pallets.

It would be nice if traps started active, instead of having to walk everywhere to pick them up and set them somewhere else.

Addons increase disarm/sabotage time enough i think, addonless trapper is poor but addons make up for this.

Yeah his add ons are nice, it's sad barely any of them stack though unlike other Killers. If they do, there's no place where it says if they stack or not.

Buuuut after his buff he is viable. Place traps at big loops, completely making them unusable until disarmed but you can also rearm it.

Also, random traps seem to catch people off guard and work really well.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290

Personally I like Trapper where he's at now although from experience the only thing I'd like to see is his standard capacity increased. Not even starting traps just let me pick up an extra trap or two as I move around the map.

Most of my bad games are usually against an SWF with him where they call out my trap locations or disarm them when I chase someone else. I find that he's in a pretty good spot right now at least in comparison to other killers. I still think Freddy, Pig and Leatherface are the three worst killers at the moment. Although if I had to ask for an over the top buff it would be making his Bloody Coil a lower rarity. That addon is the only reason I'll play him against a 4 man SWF because I know I can punish people for calling out my trap locations but I don't feel like stocking up on them just for when I get into those kind of games.

• Utna
    Utna Member Posts: 186

@Dustin : Agreed, it feels like SWF are the trapper's biggest weakness right now ... not only because they tell themselves the trapp's locations, but because they can easily assign themselves roles and strategy ("you disarm that while I'm being chased and the other guy repair the gens).

My main regret with trapper is his lack of use of his own perk "Unnerving Presence". While we hear the devs saying they're brainstorming for new stuff for the survivors to do during the game, besides just repairing gens, I believe disarming the trapper's traps should be one of those things. Why not adding skillchecks to escaping, sabotaging and disarming trapps ? Add-on like Secondary coil, whose increase the time of those actions would have some use, and combined with unnerving presence, they might lead to new interesting builds.

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

I've had some decent success as Trapper in the 7-10 killer rank. I found that placing the traps in really odd spots got me the most hits. I was just dropping them all over the map at random and doing normal gen stalking.

I would recommend putting one or two on the outside of the map. So many sneaky survivors hang out on the edge but never see a trap coming out there. I get an outside trap to hit once every other game, which seems pretty decent to me being it's only there for a random extra catch,

• dontTouchMyGens
    dontTouchMyGens Member Posts: 35
    The main problem in my opinion is that the reward of trapping someone does not justify the effort (investment of time) of collecting and setting the traps, especially when taking into account how rare it is to trap someone. If you are not directly nearby, you often cannot capitalize on trapping someone at all. 

And yes, SWF are a problem. Sometimes I feel like my traps are just a source of bloodpoints for the survivors instead of a threat.

I like your idea of adding skillchecks. It is really odd that there are none currently. However, I still think that survivors should not be able to free themselves or at least it should take much longer (as long as self-heal maybe).

Out of curiosity: How many survivors get trapped in your games on average? What’s the estimated success rate of your traps on average?
  • Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869
    I sort of agree with giving skillchecks to disarm bear traps. Seeing as traps are already mostly an inconvenience, having to use skill to actually disarm them would make up nicely for the fact he wastes so much time setting up traps and grabbing them in the first place. It be an interesting add on, at least
  • TheMidnightRidr
    TheMidnightRidr Member Posts: 599
    I’m not quite sure how I would buff him and be able to keep him balanced, but a nice quality of life update to him I think would be if you could set traps where they are rather than pick them up then set them right back down again to set them. Doesn’t sound like much but I think a lot of trapper players would like it. 
  • dontTouchMyGens

I would recommend putting one or two on the outside of the map. So many sneaky survivors hang out on the edge but never see a trap coming out there. I get an outside trap to hit once every other game, which seems pretty decent to me being it's only there for a random extra catch,

Haha, will try that! The only problem I see is that I probably won’t be close enough to benefit.
  • dontTouchMyGens
    amneoss said:

Survivors should get an "overcharge" style skill check when attempting to remove the trap that if failed puts them into the dying state adding a risk to freeing yourself.
    I like this idea very much. 
  • Utna
    Utna Member Posts: 186

@dontTouchMyGens said:
    amneoss said:

Survivors should get an "overcharge" style skill check when attempting to remove the trap that if failed puts them into the dying state adding a risk to freeing yourself.

I like this idea very much. 

I like it too but it sounds too powerfull. Look at it that way: downing people while chasing someone else ? That's the kind of stuff that ends a game real quick. Could be fun as an ultra rare add-on though.

What about that : when trapped, a survivor can try to escape by himself. The base action would be 6/8/10/12 seconds (depending on add-ons), but there has to be a skillcheck (like overcharge). The skillcheck happens only once but at a random time (sometimes at the very begining, sometimes at the end). When the skillcheck is suceed, the survivor free himself in the injured state, but if it fails, he has to start the action again from scratch ... and of course there would be another skillcheck.

• dontTouchMyGens
    I don’t think dying state would be too powerful. How many Survivors get actually trapped during a game while not being chased? 2? 3? 0? Considering that they still can hit the skillcheck to avoid being downed or can get rescued by another Survivor, there would be 1 or maybe 2 dying states inflicted, if at all. That does not sound gamebreaking to me.
  • purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

@dontTouchMyGens said:
    I love the concept and Design of the Trapper. However, he is far to weak compared to the other Killers and not really viable above rank 15. 

Let‘s start with the obvious problems. The Trapper wastes a lot of time collecting traps, carrying them across the map and setting them. The standard capacity of 1 is a far too low. The amount of time it takes to set a trap is a joke compared to how fast they can be disarmed.

Also, once Survivors have realized that they play against the Trapper, they usually don‘t fall for the traps anymore. This may have been different a year ago, but today they just know the good spots. Also, the traps hitbox is far too small. Most of the time, i only catch one or two per game, if at all. Well, catch is an exaggeration. They get trapped but free themselves in under 5 seconds. And this is not an exaggeration. They free themselves almost instantly. 

Considering how hard it is to trap a survivor in the first place, this is all I get? An almost instant escape and the survivor only gets injured? Of course only if he was healthy before. There is no consequence at all for an injured survivor to get caught. 

What the Trapper needs in my opinion is a considerable buff of his base kit. Trapped survivors should not be able to free themselves. Alternatively, survivors could be put in the dying state by the trap. The traps should be harder to see, have a larger trigger radius and disarming them should take longer and be a lot harder, maybe with a hard skill check. Failing the skill check would cause the survivor the be trapped. 

This may sound over the top, but I honestly believe that even all those buffs combined would not make the Trapper OP. His current state is a shame tbh.

What do you guys think?

The trapper has the ability to scare good players during chases even if he did nothing. He's a mind game. You never know if that window or pallet or loop is safe

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Sadly the introduction of SWF has crippled my old, beloved trapper.
    I rarely play him these days =(

• Master

@purebalance said:

@dontTouchMyGens said:

What do you guys think?

The trapper has the ability to scare good players during chases even if he did nothing. He's a mind game. You never know if that window or pallet or loop is safe

If you play SWF, you know and thats the problem

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    "The amount of time it takes to set 1 trap is a joke" .............. have you updated your game recently?
  • M2Fream
    M2Fream Member Posts: 288
    I like what they did with his addons but I think they made him too addon dependent.
    I think attempting to escape a trap should be increasing as you try. 
    10%
    20%
    30%
    And so on.
    Add-ons that decrease escape chance will make it go up by 8, 7 or only 5% each attempt.
    So like 
    8%
    16%
    24%

His base kit should start with 2 traps but lose the ability to hold 2 traps after placing the first one.

Trapper Sack - May hold 1 additional trap
    Trapper bag - Start with and hold 1 additional trap
    Stitched bag - Start with 1 additional trap and hold 2 additional traps
  • MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

@dontTouchMyGens said:

What do you guys think?

I think the trapper is in a very good state atm, especially with the kinda recent new and faster animation. If you're getting looped you could just place a trap around it so they cant loop you anymore. I have a lot of fun playing trapper and I might buy the blight outfit for him just because I enjoy him a lot. I will admit, his addons aren't the greatest. I say a 2 bear trap hold by default would be really nice and maybe add better ultra rare addons?

• dontTouchMyGens
    edited October 2018
    Peanits said:
    Dirty trapper main here. I wouldn't call him weak by any means. He's a 4.6 killer that can instantly end a chase before it starts.

Regarding having to walk across the map to set up traps, you probably shouldn't be doing that. That'll waste a lot of time and make it painful obvious to the survivors when they see you walking across the map. You should typically make one trip around the map and set up each trap somewhere nearby. There's almost always a good trap spot with 16m.

If people are finding your traps and disarming them, I would suggest being a little more clever when hiding them. Instead of putting them in pallets or windows, hide there somewhere else along the loop in some tall grass. People rarely check an entire loop, and even if they do, they're wasting a lot of time.

The only changes I could really get behind are a slightly larger trap hitbox and maybe +1 trap carrying capacity by default. Replacing the RNG struggling with a set time would be nice too.
    Yeah, I agree with the speed. That’s what saves him. But his traps are what makes him special, and I find that he is lacking in that department. The part about walking across the map was an exaggeration, I don’t actually do that. I‘ll try to work on my trap placement, but I definitely feel like I struggle a lot more with him than I do with the other killers.
    Post edited by dontTouchMyGens on
  • dontTouchMyGens
    Bravo0413 said:
    "The amount of time it takes to set 1 trap is a joke" .............. have you updated your game recently?
    Yeah, I know it was buffed. I was referring to the whole process of setting a trap: picking it up, finding a good spot and placing it. 
  • GrannyonAcid
    GrannyonAcid Member Posts: 476

I disagree with people saying that trapper feels weak. I hadn't played him in a very long time. But during this event I decided to finish getting him to T3. So I spent a million BP on him the first day of the event and he has all my offerings on him. Which means I've played him since the event started. Absolutely love him. He hasn't changed at all. I was wondering why people were ranking him as a weaker killer. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm probably at lvl 90 or so on my bloodweb. I don't even have rank 1 BBQ and Chili and I have rank 2 Ruin only. I feel like there's probably no killer in the game that needs Ruin more then Trapper does. So I cannot wait to get rank 3 and use it. BBQ I dunno... I'm not good at using that perk. But I know it's pretty meta. It just didn't exist in the game when I used to play. I usually hook and never even use it to see where survivors are.

But... He's great. I don't play campy at all. So I don't 4 kill every single game. But I know that I'm doing my job chasing people down. Getting everyone hooked at least twice a piece. He's such a fast killer in movement speed. And while people know where you hide traps now.... They never seem to go out of the way to set them off. Just trap up every pallet and killer shack. Then throw traps in random spots where no one would expect... They go off like crazy. I have times where 3-4 are popping within seconds. Last night I had a four kill game probably within 30 seconds of the game started. Downed 1. Then two stepped into traps at the same time. And got the guy that came to save them all right after. Absolute massacre. I honestly don't know if there's a killer in the game that's as scary as trapper is.

• Steebear
    Steebear Member Posts: 105

The trapper isn't weak...go watch Lefty a while or something. The only barrier is your mentality in this game these days.

• Incarnate
    Incarnate Member Posts: 677

@Peanits said:
    The only changes I could really get behind are a slightly larger trap hitbox and maybe +1 trap carrying capacity by default. Replacing the RNG struggling with a set time would be nice too.

I've already suggested something like this before, and boy did many trapper mains dislike that idea, replacing the RNG for something else. Personally, I'd like it to be more skillbased, where you'd have to solve a puzzle or pass some other tough challenge than just hitting the skill check or keep pressing M1 to maybe get free.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

as a trapper main, i agree on almost everything you say. really. the only thing i do have a problem with, is the traps ability to down an injured survivor, that is (and should stay) an add on.
    that being said, trapper has some huge probelms:
    he is wasting too much time for a setup, which may be disarmed as soon as he leaves the area for a split second, his trap hitboxes are really ######### (like i trap a pallet and the survivor just crouches past my trap. or i trap a window and the survivor just jumps over my trap (i get trapped after vaulting the window btw)), etc.
    i really hope that some devs, who actually play killer, unlike a certain dev in here (sry, but i dont buy that he ever played trapper above rank 12), will see this post, since it has some really good suggestions in it.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    Mister_xD said:

as a trapper main, i agree on almost everything you say. really. the only thing i do have a problem with, is the traps ability to down an injured survivor, that is (and should stay) an add on.
    he is wasting too much time for a setup, which may be disarmed as soon as he leaves the area for a split second, his trap hitboxes are really ######### (like i trap a pallet and the survivor just crouches past my trap. or i trap a window and the survivor just jumps over my trap (i get trapped after vaulting the window btw)), etc.
    i really hope that some devs, who actually play killer, unlike a certain dev in here (sry, but i dont buy that he ever played trapper above rank 12), will see this post, since it has some really good suggestions in it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=934234768

That was before the buff, even. Just because I feel differently than you doesn't mean I'm lying, and trying to suggest so doesn't help anything.
  • dontTouchMyGens
    Dudddd said:
    A killer for forehead players no skills just place traps and “ hope” people step in them, no skills required just a easy killer to play with skills prospective  if you’re bad at the game.
    Please refrain from derailing the thread with such nonsense, thank you. 
  • DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    I think trap collection could be better. Maybe do a locker reload to limit almost pointless map travel. Keep a trap limit but have them accessible when needed. Seems weird he is the only killer that has to retrieve his power before it can be treated as one.
  • dontTouchMyGens
    I think trap collection could be better. Maybe do a locker reload to limit almost pointless map travel. Keep a trap limit but have them accessible when needed. Seems weird he is the only killer that has to retrieve his power before it can be treated as one.
    That would be great. You could really save time  this way.
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

@Peanits said:
    Mister_xD said:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=934234768

That was before the buff, even. Just because I feel differently than you doesn't mean I'm lying, and trying to suggest so doesn't help anything.

maybe you'll understand my comment more, if i tell you what my problem with your post was:
    "Dirty trapper main here." unnecessary. "I wouldn't call him weak by any means." welp... at least 90% of the community do. and for a good reason btw. i mean, people rank him below the wraith. THE WRAITH! this is how the community sees him and this is, why so many people ask for buffs. "He's a 4.6 killer that can instantly end a chase before it starts." i didnt rly understand what you ment with "4.6 killer" (i guess the movement speed?) but i agree on that. he can end a chase instantly, IF he happens to have build a good setup around this area. hell, he can wipe out a whole team within 5 seconds just because of the right setup! now im sure trapper sounds incredible strong, but the reality hits him hard. without his traps, he is worse than the wraith. i mean, he is literally the most basic killer in the game, there is nothing special about him at that point. and this is where the problem lies. "Regarding having to walk across the map to set up traps, you probably shouldn't be doing that." agan, worse than wraith if you dont use the traps. also, this is the way you designed him to be! you wanted him to walk around the whole map to get his traps and this is a big critisism point for the trapper. he wastes waaay too much time to get a setup. "That'll waste a lot of time and make it painful obvious to the survivors when they see you walking across the map." true, but again: you designed him that way. "You should typically make one trip around the map and set up each trap somewhere nearby. There's almost always a good trap spot with 16m." and this is where i have the biggest issue with. you suggest, that we play the trapper like a billy, running around the map, chasing the survivors down. but thats not how the trapper is played. trapper is a defense killer, which means that he is good at defending ONE POINT at the map. you cant play WWT (World Wide Trapper), since that wil only weaken his one big strength. trapper is great to loc down 3 near by gens. he should not be hunting outside his defense zone, cause he is weak out there. and this is another reason, why it sucks that we need to travel around the whole map in order to get a single trap. i mean, as trappers we kind of see our traps as our babies (the set ones). we dont want to leave them alone, cause they will be disarmed pretty much asap, cause they are way to easy to find. "If people are finding your traps and disarming them, I would suggest being a little more clever when hiding them." thats easier said than done. i mean, where do you think we place our traps? in the middle of a pallet? of course we place them around the loops, but since survivors know the trap spots by now, they will just run around and start crouching, as soon as they arrive at said spot, looking for a trap. i for an example am always placing my traps at spots where i think survivors will run through when looping me, but this also comes with problems: survivors may not even loop me around that pallet. thats a wasted trap. also, the hit boxes are so super bad, that survivors literally, and now please listen good, since i REALLY want this fixed asap: vault a window and jump over the trap beneath it, without getting trapped. i on the other hand get trapped as soon as i vault the window. pls fix, this is annoying. "Instead of putting them in pallets or windows, hide there somewhere else along the loop in some tall grass. People rarely check an entire loop, and even if they do, they're wasting a lot of time." well, i dont know what kind of survivors you get, but mine always find the traps and still manage to do all the gens in under 10 minutes. this is also where is couldnt beleave that you actually ever played trapper at rank 5 - 1. "The only changes I could really get behind are a slightly larger trap hitbox and maybe +1 trap carrying capacity by default. Replacing the RNG struggling with a set time would be nice too." this is where i agree with you. these changes are necessary, but defenitely not the only things that should happen. e.g. trapper should get a way to reset a trap on the ground without picking it up. he should also get more traps (i'd suggest 10, like the hag), since it would be nice to be able to cover up more space with him. and maybe, just maybe you could add something, in order to make him viable, even without the traps. like a faster movement speed when a trap gets disarmed for X amount of time or something like this.
    also, please bring back the old trap set animation! the new one looks soooo bad!
    another thing would be, that i want to be able to place traps underneath a hook again. i mean, i understand why you disabled that for the hag, but trappers traps never were that good under there, so why did the nerf have to strike him too? also with the "new" multidirectional unhook i dont think this would be OP by any means. just open your eyes and disarm the trap before saving your friend...

honestly, there are reasons why i almost exclusively play billy at red ranks, even though my heart beats for evan only, and thats because evan is just not a viable killer up there. he is very map dependent (give me a single DLC map that is actually good for him. indoor maps = hell. big maps = hell and city maps are always hell, so matter who you play.) the only maps i could actually think are good for hime would be small maps, where the basement almost exclusively spawns in the killer shack (my favourite is the wreckers yard map from autohaven wreckers). the smaller the map, the better your trappy boi becomes. but since the most maps are pretty big, thats bad news for our evan... also decent survivors will just disarm your whole setup within seconds, and i wont even start talking about SWF groups. Trapper is literally the most affected killer against a SWF group.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

What do you guys think?
    I don't consider Trapper to be weak. I find him rather strong in the right hands. This of course is just my opinion :) 

I like how he can shut loops and infinites down and end chases early with a well placed trap. If he needed ANY kind of buff at all, maybe give him an extra trap to start with.
  • Incarnate

When it comes to balancing, they shouldn't be considering the skill of the players, as it would played differently in different hands, plus the fact that skill has nothing to with the balance of the actual killer.

I think he should be reworked so that his traps would get utilized better, instead traps just lying around why not actually have him be able to not just trap the ground, but also trap various other interactables like:

• Chests
    • Lockers
    • Windows
    • Pallets (both non-activated and activated)

...in the sense of boobytrapping these, where they would become harder to spot, but also potentially not be able to spot them at all unless you run small game, like if he had boobytrapped a locker, so you'd only know when you interacted with it. If they could also be used on pallets that haven't been activated and that have been, that could quite easily surprise the victims, and more over prevent them from actually using them without becoming trapped. See this would make him a lot stronger, and he'd even be a killer I'd consider to play if he was capable of this.

• purebalance

@Master said:

@purebalance said:

@dontTouchMyGens said:

What do you guys think?

Not entirely true. They'd have to have seen it. I've seen Tru3 trap plenty of SWF during chases. When it's not a chase vs SWF you have a point. However in the panic of a chase if you recently put one down, they're getting trapped after that vault or in the loop.

• purebalance

@Dudddd said:
    A killer for forehead players no skills just place traps and “ hope” people step in them, no skills required just a easy killer to play with skills prospective  if you’re bad at the game.

You're playing against bad trappers then. Good trappers trap you in chases not randomly. Just like a good Wraith will push you away from windows before uncloaking.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

I think he should have more traps at the start, and then nerf his extra trap addons. I think he would be in a good place then.

• Chrona
    Chrona Member Posts: 245

I like your idea of adding skillchecks. It is really odd that there are none currently. However, I still think that survivors should not be able to free themselves or at least it should take much longer (as long as self-heal maybe).
    The reason that there isn't a skillcheck or such is because an escape attemp takes like 3 seconds.  On the other hand, its a random chance as to if they escape or not.  I've had several situations where I was caught in a trap, and they hit me and left to chase another, and 2 full minutes later I was still trying to get out of the trap.  No addons.
  • DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    I personally think the trapper would be more fun to play if his traps spawned in armed. Would take a lot of stress off of the player imo. 
  • Master

@purebalance said:

@Master said:

@purebalance said:

@dontTouchMyGens said:

What do you guys think?

Not entirely true. They'd have to have seen it. I've seen Tru3 trap plenty of SWF during chases. When it's not a chase vs SWF you have a point. However in the panic of a chase if you recently put one down, they're getting trapped after that vault or in the loop.

True is a perfect example. I still remember one game where he versed a coordinated SWF and every of his traps got poped and he got kinda mad :wink:

Ofc it always depends on the SWF you verse and there are even SWF that dont communciate at all.

Btw, good survivors dont panic in a chase^^

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Dudddd said:
    Dudddd said:
    Please refrain from derailing the thread with such nonsense, thank you. 
    Please refrain yourself from replying to me since you cant handle opinions . Assuming you’re a trapper main who thought skills existed with your favorite killer, try playing nurse on console i’ll consider you a skilled killer. 
    https://m.youtube.com/user/MrDemonKing21

Nurse Main on PS4. Trapper is by no means a “forehead” Killer. He requires careful planning of where to set your traps, when to set them (make sure nobody is around to watch you plant them), quick thinking (place a trap while mid chase at a loop to shut it down, while keeping track of your prey mind you), as well as many other things to keep track of. 

To play Trapper effectively at high rank requires more brain power than Nurse. Nurse you have to plan ahead only during the chase, Trapper you have to plan before, during, and after chases. He also requires you know Survivors running paths to an extreme degree, in order to “push” them toward areas you have traps set. This is either to actually trap them, or cut off all possible escape routes. Which is my favorite as I love to do this and as soon as they go the way I want them to, I often laugh and say “Well, now what genius?” 

If you think you can just “set traps” and hope on blind luck, you’re in for a world of hurt. 
  • ofchickens
    ofchickens Member Posts: 2

I hit Rank 1 with Trapper this last season, so I don't think he is a bad killer but he does have some issues with time and gen rushing. The new trap setting speed and the update to his add-ons has helped him a lot though! He is pretty dependent on using good add ons, the bags and setting tools are always good.

The most important thing with trapper is knowing where to set your traps, and it's usually wrong to put them near generators. I always put traps where I anticipate survivors are going to go in a chase. Smart survivors will never just walk into a trap near a generator, they will usually only step on them while you are chasing them, and that's when you need to save time too. You can also just block windows or pallets that are "infinite", which is very useful even if they can see the trap.

I feel that it's better to get traps in good spots early than to just chasing someone asap. I will sometimes set a trap in the middle of a chase to block a jungle gym or the killer shack window because those are so important.

Some of the older and really large maps are very difficult for him. The game and lery's have almost no grass for traps which is annoying too. I usually do very well on Bedham preschool, and the updated swamp maps.

My perk setup is usually: Hex: Ruin, BBQ, Nurse's Calling, Enduring / Brutal Strength / Monitor & Abuse.

I pretty much use Hex: Ruin 100% of the time so that I can set a few traps early on. If I have a spare trap, I will put it right in front of the totem so you get an alert when someone disables it.

Nurse's Calling is great because even if they escape a trap before you get them, you usually see them healing nearby.

BBQ is better on other killers, but it's still very helpful to save time finding ppl.

Monitor & Abuse is probably not popular on him, but I find it can save a lot of time at the start of a chase since they start running when you're closer. It also makes ppl think they are safe to heal outside your terror radius, but you can still see them with Nurse's Calling.

I think a good change might be to just spawn more traps near generators, or somehow improve how you acquire traps in general.

• Incarnate

@SovererignKing said:
    To play Trapper effectively at high rank requires more brain power than Nurse. Nurse you have to plan ahead only during the chase, Trapper you have to plan before, during, and after chases. He also requires you know Survivors running paths to an extreme degree, in order to “push” them toward areas you have traps set. This is either to actually trap them, or cut off all possible escape routes. Which is my favorite as I love to do this and as soon as they go the way I want them to, I often laugh and say “Well, now what genius?” 

If you think you can just “set traps” and hope on blind luck, you’re in for a world of hurt. 

I just have to say this, if you need that much for him to be viable at high ranks, then its quite obvious he actually needs a rework. Why? Think about it, Nurse has the highest skill cap in the game, but also the strongest power in the game, but requires less skill than trapper at high ranks. Obviously, any killer that isn't that viable at high ranks will require even more skill to be viable at higher ranks. It's the same with the trapper, does it make the trapper viable as is at high ranks? Certainly not, it's the player behind who's making it viable.
    So to make it equally viable the trapper should require equal skill and have an equally strong power as the nurse to be considered equally viable.

Personally I think the trapper needs a rework to make him more viable, as I've outlined above.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

A lot of these "trapper mains" that think he's fine are hard to take seriously when you don't even play at high ranks. At rank 1 he is quite weak. Being stuck in a trap needs more reliability. It's not rewarding enough for how hard it is to get people into them and the time they waste. Traps should spawn into the map already armed in their spot and his addon to make traps re arm themselves after some time should be in his base kit. As others have mentioned as well, their hit boxes are quite a bit too low as well.

• dontTouchMyGens

I hit Rank 1 with Trapper this last season, so I don't think he is a bad killer but he does have some issues with time and gen rushing. The new trap setting speed and the update to his add-ons has helped him a lot though! He is pretty dependent on using good add ons, the bags and setting tools are always good.

The most important thing with trapper is knowing where to set your traps, and it's usually wrong to put them near generators. I always put traps where I anticipate survivors are going to go in a chase. Smart survivors will never just walk into a trap near a generator, they will usually only step on them while you are chasing them, and that's when you need to save time too. You can also just block windows or pallets that are "infinite", which is very useful even if they can see the trap.

I feel that it's better to get traps in good spots early than to just chasing someone asap. I will sometimes set a trap in the middle of a chase to block a jungle gym or the killer shack window because those are so important.

Some of the older and really large maps are very difficult for him. The game and lery's have almost no grass for traps which is annoying too. I usually do very well on Bedham preschool, and the updated swamp maps.

My perk setup is usually: Hex: Ruin, BBQ, Nurse's Calling, Enduring / Brutal Strength / Monitor & Abuse.

I pretty much use Hex: Ruin 100% of the time so that I can set a few traps early on. If I have a spare trap, I will put it right in front of the totem so you get an alert when someone disables it.

Nurse's Calling is great because even if they escape a trap before you get them, you usually see them healing nearby.

BBQ is better on other killers, but it's still very helpful to save time finding ppl.

Monitor & Abuse is probably not popular on him, but I find it can save a lot of time at the start of a chase since they start running when you're closer. It also makes ppl think they are safe to heal outside your terror radius, but you can still see them with Nurse's Calling.

I think a good change might be to just spawn more traps near generators, or somehow improve how you acquire traps in general.

Great input, thanks!
  • dontTouchMyGens
    edited October 2018
    So I actually had some good games with the Trapper yesterday. My realizations: 

Yamaoka estate is a great map for the Trapper. Lots of foliage to hide the traps, not too big.

Honing Stones are an awesome add-on! I actually felt powerful running these. Too bad they are very rare. I see how these might be OP in his basekit if you happen to have a game where people actually step into your traps. If they don‘t you’re screwed. The problem is that you cannot make his ability work by yourself, you depend on the survivor‘s mistakes to some degree.

However, the difference between basekit and Honing Stone is jarring. I don’t think that an addon should make such a difference. Now I don’t say that HS should be nerfed, mind you. The basekit should be buffed in a way that the Trapper can actually benefit from trapping survivors. IMO this should be done by increasing the time required to get out of the trap. The skill check suggestion above is really good.

Also, there should be consequences for an injured survivor to run into a trap. One suggestion could be to decrease the health state by one in general: from healthy to injured and from injured to dying. If this is considered too harsh, a bleed out timer could be added like the one from borrowed time, giving the survivor the chance to escape and heal. Another option would be that an already injured survivor requires an increased time to escape.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Dud rank 1 Trappers are scary. They put traps in the most devious places. And the whole game can shift if just 1 person steps in a trap at the right time.

• SolidestBaker35
    SolidestBaker35 Member Posts: 15
    Jed said:

I could see maybe increasing the number of traps he starts with but not really sure after that. For me playing with trapper is like going fishing. You have good days and you have bad days hehe.

True but you already got add ons to carry more traps lol