Waving / Flailing arms whilst hooked

It appears the game has mixed messages in regards to people moving / flailing their arms whilst hooked. Some believe it to mean "Killer camping" and some believe it to mean "Safe to unhook"

When you witness a survivor waving / flailing their arms whilst hooked, what do you take it to mean?

Waving / Flailing arms whilst hooked 88 votes

Killer is camping
45%
FatelanceGibberishInjiTapeKnotF60_31Trial_By_ScytheKind_LemonTragicSolitudeSkeletalEliteDeadeyeyobudddDreskiSurreallMrPenguinTaigaAhoyWolfRoboMojoMattie_MayhemOGDarootLeafstormGlamourousLeviathan 40 votes
Safe to unhook me
35%
Seiko300GHERBEARRULESDemiurgLeonardo1itaAetherBytesRullisitenoresaxnimesulideDawnMadAwkward_FiendAlightBULLDOGCephalon_LebronBlue_Archer33TotemsCleanserstargazer9TripleStealIlliterateGenocideBeneath_The_Sinkhorrortale_sansSOMENINJANAME 31 votes
Wait, they have a hidden message?
7%
steponmeadirismegswifeyNoOneKnowsNovatonyischillBetrayed_TalionhyperxlcN0_th4nk5 7 votes
I ignore them and do whatever I want
11%
blue4zionDimekAven_FallenJawsIsTheNextKilleranonymous31337zmassaniChurchofPigFobbolupo_grigioRamblinRango 10 votes

Comments

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326
    Killer is camping

It depends, for the longest time it was just something I did because I thought it was goofy looking. Now I do it for when I’m being camped. Personally I wish that the hooked survivor’s aura changed colour when being camped (blue maybe?) with the colour changing in intensity depending on how close the Killer is.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,062
    Killer is camping

It's been used as a "Killer is camping me" signal as far back as beta, I';ve never even heard of somebody using it as a "come get me" signal.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785

Might be why I get to stage two all the time on first hook.....

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,173

I dont care, it does not have any meaning anymore. Whenever I do it because the Killer is camping, they still come and crouch next to me (because maybe this Killer will go away after camping for 1 minute and 40 seconds!).

And others are doing it while the Killer is not camping. Or sometimes when they are camping. It is not reliable anymore, so I do whatever I want.

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826

Joke's on you I always pack kindred lol! It's my favorite perk even in swf, since I can see the killer's direction, if they have insidious, etc. and it's super helpful! If someone is flailing on hook I don't blame them since sitting on a hook for however long they are there with nothing to do is boring, I have done my fair share of dancing on them :)!

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687
    Safe to unhook me

I run Kindred, so I always use it to get attention since randos can be extremely Pepega and need to see a moving Aura sometimes to notice that my hook state's approaching the next phase.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 630
    Safe to unhook me

Ppl actually take it as "killer camping"??? Where I play it means "hey pls unhook me now". Usually it's something along the lines of "hey no one is coming, can one of you pls stop doing gens and come to unhook me pls". If someone starts moving in the hook's direction, I stop waving to signal that someone's coming. At least that's how I think it works in Brazilian servers??? Bc I've seen lots of other ppl do the same thing.

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,285
    Safe to unhook me

I honestly don't know, I usually do it to say: pls I wanna be saved no matter what, especially if I'm pissed

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,285
    Safe to unhook me

Use kindred instead of dead hard, and not only you'll be a better player, but you'll ######### up those campers

• Inji
    Inji Member Posts: 1,096
    Killer is camping

Constantly waving your arms on hook is a signal that the killer is camping. This was the default back in 2016 and was universally accepted as such. However the meaning has slowly been changing over the years due to miscommunication.

So for me its always been "the killer is camping, do gens", but I have been trying to read the situation as is and in what manner the person on hook is waving their arms is trying to tell us. Kinda have to interpreted the intention of the person on hook in the moment and act accordingly.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,366

And just for fun, let's see what the opinion was a year ago!:

Yes, we have learned nothing.

• Idontknowtbh
    Idontknowtbh Member Posts: 467
    Safe to unhook me

I thought I did it as "please come save me" but you just made me realise I do what you do lol. Thanks for helping me understand myself

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Killer is camping

It seems like the majority of people view it as a camping signal.

• RamblinRango
    RamblinRango Member Posts: 389

I always run Kindred so I know when it's safe to unhook or if someone else is coming to save, you'll never look at what their arms are doing again after you run Kindred

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,766

I personally chose what I chose because half the people I play with as survivor it means "killer camping" and the other half it's "SAVE ME NOW". Since I never know what it is I make it easier on myself and just go with my gut feeling on what would be best in the moment. It helps if either I or the person on hook as kindred though because it makes decisions easier.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392
    Safe to unhook me

Tapping quick means come, until someone starts heading my way. Looking like struggling means killer is close for me. I also like to twitch just very very fast occasionally to look like a fish.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649
    Safe to unhook me

Had no idea it could also mean that the killer is camping.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Killer is camping

I would say, at least it hasn't got worse. Still 50% correct. For me, it seems be worth to continue with the intended meaning

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited December 2020

I think it's most logical use it to signify that the killer is camping.

Sometimes doing it to indicate an unhook opportunity can bring the killer back to the hook to protect against a potential rescue.

By 'waving arms' in the presence of a camper, the killer may be inclined to go and check the gens and hunt other survivors.

• Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318
    Safe to unhook me

This is precisely my thought process behind waving my arms on the hook. "Hey! About to reach struggling here! I'm safe to unhook!!"

• SOMENINJANAME
    SOMENINJANAME Member Posts: 294
    Safe to unhook me

Lol, yeah, I used to do it for fun, but now I use it when I'm safe to unhook and there are two survivors crouching around the map.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,703
    edited January 2021
    Killer is camping

My go to is to assume they mean camping.

If they die because they wiggled their arms and yell at me in post game chat, I'll tell them they shouldn't have wiggled their arms.