Plaid Flannel became a clutch addon

vacaman
vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
edited January 2021 in General Discussions

I've been learning to play nurse for quite a bit of time now and i was recommended to use this addon "plaid flannel" by experienced nurse players. They said that it was like riding a tricicle to a bicicle, it would be a transition that would come natural. Well, I'm doing very well when i use this addon but when i stop using i don't feel like i have any muscle memory of the blinks and can't hit any of them. It's like the way of playing her is totally different because you just pay attention to the mark, not the time you charge the blink.

Have the people that recommend using this addon actually learned nurse using it? I dont think so, specially since it used to be an ultra rare. Please good nurses, reconsider when you recommend using this addon if you actually never used it to learn her, it's like playing 2 completly different killers.

Comments

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I did use Plaid Flannel to learn Nurse. When you take it off, it's normal that your blinks aren't gonna be spot-on. After all, if you take the training wheels off your bike, you're going to sway a little bit at first until you get used to it, aren't you?

FWIW, I used the add-on for about 20 games before removing it. YMMV depending on how long the trials last and therefore on how often you are able to blink and thus practice.

There's also the issue that the add-on is also often used incorrectly.

The way to do it right is to look slightly above the horizon, charge and immediately blink as soon as the indicator is where you want to blink to. Do not charge, then look around and up and down to adjust the position and to blink only afterward. The first method will give you a more accurate feeling of the charge time and blinking by muscle memory. The second method just becomes a game of putting the indicator where you want by moving around the mouse and it doesn't replicate what actual blinking feels like.

I'd say for your games with the add-on and the first handful without, it may also help if you focus less on the survivors and more on your destination until you get more confident. I.e. you see where the survivor's going, you pick the spot where you want to blink to and try to land as accurately as possible, regardless of what the survivor does meanwhile.

You won't be able to play reactively to survivors until you can land your blinks. So, it's better to focus on the latter without getting too distracted by the former.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I never had an issue memorising blink ranges or learning Nurse in general so I never used the add-on. It was just one of those things that kind of clicked with me. I don't really see any downside to using plaid flannel every game if you're used to it though. It's a brown add-on so you can run it indefinitely and never run out unless you don't spend BP on Nurse. And Nurse isn't add-on dependent in the slightest so it's not like you're hindering yourself with only 1 add-on slot open.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I may get scoffed at for suggesting this but I also wouldn't use shadowborn if you currently are or add ons until you master the nurse at her base level, some people become so reliant on recharge add ons or add ons like pocketwatch that they feel they can't use the nurse unless they have them, same goes for shadowborn people being so used to the FOV being wide on nurse and huntress so much that they can't take it out of their build without being handicapped and that's the last thing you want is to have to backtrack and teach yourself to live without the crutch when you could've started that way.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,949

When learning a new killer I generally try to not use add-ons, because I'm worried I'll get too used to a particular add-on. I always remember having to wean myself off using Shadowborn on all my killers because I got so attached to the FOV and that it made me feel faster - although I've done the same to myself again and now have to wean myself off Brutal Strength!

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I don't think there's anything to scoff at in what you say. The thing is, Shadowborn is just a luxury perk on Nurse, imho. People use it because it's objectively nice to have. But in the end, Nurse does work just as fine without it, so you can invest the slot in something else. All the best Nurses I've ever seen don't use the perk. So, in the long run, I agree one with you the better choice is to not become dependent on it.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I don't think I could ever learn to play without it. Then again I play on Console, so that might be part of it.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Hmmm.... not really sure. Not often enough to be great with her, but I get 4k often enough to be happy playing her. :)

• The_Krapper

I was just curious because I'm sure being a dev you've also tested ideas for reworks with her at some point even if you don't play as her alot , is there anything they've tried with the nurse in the past we've never seen before that you could share with us?

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

A discarded nurse power change was the inspiration for the new clown gas actually. They were going to give nurse a secondary power where she would have a faster cooldown but if she hit a survivor they would gain a health state.

That change would have brought her more inline with the text of her being a nurse.

(Sarcasm)

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

Thanks for the answers guys. I just need to git gud. The addon is good for learning but i should have alternated, and try to focus on my timings and less on the marker.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I mean you could just keep it on. Nurses addons aren't that good so you can easilly sacrifice one for the flannel.

Being common means you can have one every match anyway. It's seen as a training wheel addon but if you like it you can use it.

• hatchking
    hatchking Member Posts: 312

I like it

• hatchking
    hatchking Member Posts: 312

No mither self care inner strength second wind

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Plaid Flannel should just be part of the Nurse's base kit and not an add-on.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Am I weird or am I the only nurse player that's use to monitor and abuse fov changes

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

When I was first starting nurse, I threw the first 2 or so games by going to shack and using it to measure blinks.

Like stand at one end if the shack and look straight forward, hold down a blink and then see how far it lands. Test out the second blink by looking at the floor with the first blink and measuring the same way. Next was like "If I want to warp to that barrel how long would I have to hold it?".

• The_Krapper

No not all good nurses play without it but the best ones do !

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
    edited January 2021

Sorry you were given bad advice. When a Dev says plaid flannel is OP you know something isn't right and you found out why.

No, I as a Nurse main, never used plaid flannel in a real match. Learned Nurse by blinking as much as I could. Hammering in that timing. Any body who wants to play Nurse well should do the same. No addon. No chasing without blinking. No hits without blinking. If you M1 you are failing yourself.

What plaid flannel does is it takes your eyes off the target. You may ask, isn't the target where I want to blink? No. Where you want to blink is where the target is going to be after the blink. To do that you need to read your target and their movements. Looking at a candle light won't help you with this.

• alimeria
    alimeria Member Posts: 55

addons = drugs and drugs are bad for you they make you lazy and addicted to using those things and when you don't have them your game rate is slow and disastrous.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I never really used it,to be honest. I think I played maybe 3-4 trials with it and never touched it again. It's a good starting point, but it can very easily lead to exactly the problem you're having.

• TheStabbiNAngeL
    TheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    edited January 2021

It's a bad add on imo,the mark gets in the way of blinking, and causes you to focus on the mark and not the charge ,also because you have the target location, does the target stay in that same spot nope they move everytime.

• DeceptivePastry
    DeceptivePastry Member Posts: 48

I'm still learning nurse. I tried this addon tonight and I hated it. It's just confusing and distracting most of the time. I did much better without it. I would try it out for one game to visualize how far your maximum blink range is and such but I will never use this addon again.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    edited January 2021

I've used this add-on for about 20 matches at the very start, and I think it helped.

My vote goes in favour of plaid flannel.

Some players of the kind, Umbra included afair, comment that using shadowborn is a matter of personal preference/habit rather than an optimal choice for efficiency. Some of them regret getting this habit, too; this perk is a bit ambiguous.

• Mr_K

Records in this game are worthless trash. Because they have nothing to do with the skill of the player but the incompetence of the opposing side.

Rayoxium is a good Nurse though, not the best but very good.

• Malum_Midnight
    Malum_Midnight Member Posts: 366

I use it almost every time I play her since I’m trash with her. It helps train the muscle memory

• Malum_Midnight
    Malum_Midnight Member Posts: 366

I mean just because it doesn’t hey you doesn’t mean it doesn’t help anyone

• Mr_K

I've played it both with and without. Nurse just feels too slow and sluggish without it.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,243

That's why I never recommend Plaid Flannel. I actually find it detrimental to learning Nurse. You'll need the muscle memory eventually. Aspiring Nurses need to learn the blink distances as well as where they should be blinking to. There's a ton of theorycraft that goes into Nurse

• TripleSteal
    edited January 2021
  • TripleSteal

No, why would I?

It's an entirely educational add-on and that's the whole point.