Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Controversial opinion: tunneling and gen rushing are the same thing/idea

Both are used to get the objective done ASAP. Not doing either is considered the respectful thing, while doing them gets the salt rolling. Yet, people complain about the other, not considering their previous actions during the match maaaaybe, miiiiiiiiiiiiggghhht have influenced their actions (just a touch)? Don't think that somethings toxic because someone else is doing it, but is perfectly ok with it if it benefits themself/themselves

Comments

• Endorb
    Endorb Member Posts: 151

If you want to slow the gens down, camping and tunneling isn't that good a method, it's better to go for slugging to draw the other survivors without alleviating the pressure or letting them get into position first, especially if you think they're nearby

• Endorb
    Endorb Member Posts: 151

Tunneling is actually really inefficient. If you focus all your attention to one survivor, then you give up pressure on the other survivors. They can easily lead you away from the gens, and you'll eat a DS if they have it. Choosing to chase and hook the injured survivor in your face instead of the healthy one, or going after the survivor about to be removed instead of the one that'd be on first hook, isn't tunneling, it's just having the ability to prioritize

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617

It is definitely not the same. The killer is able not to tunnel and go for someone else, and that doesn't mean that they are giving up their objective. If a survivor is off gens (aka not genrushing) when the killer does not have pressure on him (aka someone is hooked, people are slugged or the very same survivor is being chased) he is literally giving up his objective. One could argue that he could do bones, which yes, indeed he could! But most of the time he should be on gens.

Survivors' objective is to complete gens, open the gates and leave. Killers' objective is to kill. Downing and hooking people fast, be it tunneling or not, is the equivalent to genrushing. Not solely tunneling.

UNLESS by "genrushing" you mean carrying toolboxes + BNP + etc in which case I would agree, sort of. But I've been called a dirty genrusher solely for sitting on gens while my teammates were being chased and I was like (?) what else am I supposed to do, lol.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

There is no way to pressure gens on a 110/115 killer on half the maps in the game. They are too large and too safe, it’s better to have survivors come to you.

I typically get the first down, hook them, check the nearest 3 gens. Slug anyone at them or check further gens if needed. Get a slug, go back and camp the hook to half or tunnel them if they have been unhooked in the meantime. Once someone is dead I snowball in the 3v1 through slugging; I’m usually running infectious fright.

I have only lost like 2-3 games out of probably like 30-40 over the last week doing this method, and one of them was because of a key.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

The term "gen rush" is really stupid in my opinion. "Oh no guys, we're doing the only objective too fast, let's just stand around and not doing anything for a while". Like what do killers expect? If you aren't applying adequate pressure of course survivors are going to do generators, there's nothing else to do, i'm not going to just stand around at a generator because we've been doing them "too fast". It's up to the killer to apply good pressure.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Because the killer can't really do anything about gen rushing, it is baked into the core of the game with 4 survivors vs 5 gens and it just failed game design, and any perk that helps against it gets nerfed into the ground.

Meanwhile survivors have 4 people, Decisive strike, Borrowed time, Unbreakable, For the people, Soul guard.. etc.. etc.. to deal with tunnelling.

• Victor_hensley
    Victor_hensley Member Posts: 800

The title is pretty accurate judging by how the comments turned out.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Well, depends on how we are looking at tunneling.

If you mean tunnel someone off the hook cause you unhooked in front of me, that is a tactically smart play.

If you mean ignoring the dude on the generator at 80% because I see someone I've already hooked in the distance, then that is not a tactically smart play.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

"Because the killer can't really do anything about gen rushing,"

Not to mention every time we get something that can work against gen rushing. The devs are quick to nerf it.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

This is the main issue DBD has and which urgently needs to be addressed. You know how in other games you can reach the point where all that's left to do is get to 100% complete or you just farm and grind to get better gear to farm and grind to get better gear to farm and...

That's DBD right now. There's nothing really aside from gaining BP to level up all your characters to... gain more BP.

There's no actually challenging quests and tasks, no variety, no nothing.

The rift was a nice idea, but it boils down to the same with no real reward (especially since you can unlock the tiers with real money, so it's P2Win instead of adding variety to the gameplay).

DBD really needs new modes and new challenges and rewards for these challenges.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited January 2021

Depends on who you tunnel

If you tunnel the weak link whose chases end early - then yes it's the right thing to do strategically as even the worst players can do gens.

If you tunnel somebody who is good at keeping you busy, you're being a dumbass and need to go find somebody weaker.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Most people have probably seen this video. But for anyone who hasn't.

• NotACompPlayer
    NotACompPlayer Member Posts: 193

you dont actively go out of your way to make it easier for the other side to win????toxic bro ######### why are you playing like this

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

A killer tunneling is the equivalent of all four survivors working on one generator at a time, which is less efficient than if they split up and each work on a different gen.

Anyway, if everyone in this game were an NPC or bot or whatever, then sure, we could compare survivors to generators. But I don't think it's healthy for either side to treat the other like they're NPCs. And when survivors get their first gen done, it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. That last gen or two is where the pressure is on because the killer has a smaller area of the map to patrol. But when killers get one survivor out, that can severely swings things in the killer's favor (unless the killer camped and tunneled so hard that the survivors got all five gens done in the meantime).

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited January 2021

I mean if you break it down their both just doing the objective the fastest/efficient way. Get a gen done asap get a kill asap.

Survivors focus gens killers focus kills, that's the game. The double standard for what is "ok" is unfair, yet here we are. Either its ok for both, or its not for both.

It goes both ways, survivors want killers to not focus them out? Ok stop focusing gens. "Oh so we just have to stand around?" I mean not necessarily, go do a totem go find a chest. Otherwise yeah, you need to give the killer time to 12 hook if you want them to 12 hook. Otherwise don't complain when they focus someone out because a 3v1 is easier to deal with and the smart move rather than leaving it as a 4v1.

"oh thats our objective." Yeah and the killers is to kill you before you escape. If you want them to stretch out their objective you need to do the same.

Focus gens, then killers focus friends.

Or we can give you a second objective like totems to take up some time, oh wait survivors didn't like that.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429

I fail to see how this is even controversial.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,475

Of course you have the choice to lose or switch up strategies to get into a better position, I'm more referring to how "fun" killers for survivors to go against (usually its bad ones so they can win) don't get much of a choice to play nice, they usually have to camp, tunnel, slug, 3 gen or use some other strategies survivors dislike just to hold their ground as soon as things go south because their killer simply isn't strong enough to turn back the tide while still playing nice for longer and going for 12 hooks and making sure everyone stays in the match as long as possible.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

This. I will happily go for the unhooker if i can, but if i can't find them I can't exactly afford to just let you go (unless you give me a good reason to, say by ratting out the unhooker xd)

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Survivors even managed to do all 5 gens in 3.5 minutes against Otz.

Do you think Otz is trash ?

• Steah
    Steah Member Posts: 511

I made this thread like 9 months ago and the survivors were seething back than. They seemed to have calmed down a bit

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Killers camp and tunnel and then are surprised gens get done lol.

• SkerpiTwitch
    SkerpiTwitch Member Posts: 327

So is repairing gens fast while injured and ignoring all game mechanics. Tunneling is indeed the same as genrushing.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

If you are playing a killer who can be looped, and is low mobility, why would you ~ever~ start a game off by cutting through like 3-4 safe pallets; creating a dead zone, getting a hook in said dead zone, and then just walk completely away to the other side of the map? Then go chase a survivor through another 3+ safe pallets while the hooked survivor gets away for free?

It makes absolutely no sense and it’s a great way to lose the game if the survivors are even somewhat competent at looping.

And if you have pop? Go pop the gen and give the survivor a massive head start in chase. Ruin / Undying? Yeah it’s dead.

If camping and tunneling didn’t work, I would stop doing it. It’s really as simple as that.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Undying + Ruin was unhealthy for the game. I know most people who play killer on here like to say how every game is against a sweaty 4men SWF, but that's not how it works. It was too much for solo Q.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Note when most killer talk about genrushing they are complaining at the game. Not at the survivors playing them.

Ofcourse survivors will do gens if there is nothing else to do. (Sensible) people understand that.

That doesn't change the issue that when survivors are optimal, the smallest mistakes a killer makes in the start of a game leads to a loss.

It's a game issue not a players issue

• Yamaoka

You LITERALLY said if a killer loses all gens in 4-5 minutes the player is trash. I therefore asked you if Otz is trash in your opinion since people even did all gens in 3 minutes against him.

I literally applied YOUR logic not mine.

You're embarrassing yourself buddy.

• Yamaoka
    edited January 2021

At this point I'm not even reading your stuff anymore. I applied YOUR (questionable) logic and now you're desperately trying to twist things. Everyone can read it anyone sees what's up so bye.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

I agree

People say that tunnelling one survivor while others are trying to pull your agro is inefficient. But is it? Cause those other survs aren't doing gens while they try to get your attention, and it shows that the person your tunnelling is important to the team. Maybe they have a key, maybe they have a good toolbox, maybe they're the dedicated healer or sabotager, maybe its for personal reasons. Either way, getting that one person killed early makes it really hard for the rest in late game and increases your snowball potential. Lose a few gens now to make your 3 gen easier to protect later

• ProfGameAndTalk
    ProfGameAndTalk Member Posts: 326

Tunneling may be inefficient, but killing that teabagging, flashlight clicking, pointing, waving SOB sure feels REAL good!! haha

• Victor_hensley
    Victor_hensley Member Posts: 800

I think they were asking a rhetorical question, not being literal

• Steah
    Steah Member Posts: 511

Well they are, but not nearly as bad as they were back then

• JimPickens666
    JimPickens666 Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2021

Doing gens is the only objective. Yes it is comparable to tunneling, and hence you see one of the fundamental problems if dbd. The devs cater to survivor and the survivor experience keeps getting worse

Lol im still jailed! Its been like a week. Hey @MandyTalk you gonna ban for me for tagging you? Just curious

• Patiencehero
    Patiencehero Member Posts: 54

Fair assessment.

Follow up point, however - if that's the case, maybe the devs just need to make a decision whether they want team based or solo experience, and change accordingly. Either remove SWF, add the option to opt-out of SWF entirely for Killers, or add voice chat so every lobby is presumed to have the same coordination as SWF. Done deal.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

gen rushing isn't even a thing that exists tho, like it's just doing the objective. tunneling is different because you need to go out of your way to do it. You need to make that decision when you're a killer, as a survivor there is no decision of gen rushing, you just do gens cuz that's all you can do. Killers can choose to play by tunneling or not tunneling

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

U can say the exact same thing in the other direction. Tunneling isn't even a thing that exists though, it's just doing the objective. Gen rushng is different because you need to go out of your way to do it. You need to make that decision when you're a survivor, a as a killer there is no decision of tunneling cuz that's all you can do. A survivor can choose to play by gen rushing or not gen rushing.

If a killer decides to just mindlessly chase whatever happens to be the most vulnerable survivor there's going to be a high chance that they'll be tunneling just like if a survivor just mindlessly does gens. More often than not ppl are asking killers to make the active decision not to go after the most vulnerable survivor to give them a chance.

• amethyst1977
    amethyst1977 Member Posts: 1

Killer main here. tunneling and genrushing arent the same by any means. genrushing is survivors completing their only objective. Tunneling is you being petty and being satisfied with one kill, so you go for one person the whole game. There is no excuse for tunneling unless its teammate induced tunneling. As a killer, your objective isnt to kill one person. Your objective is to stop the survivors from escaping