Hatch Rant

KillJiggy
KillJiggy Member Posts: 165
edited October 2018 in General Discussions

I had about 1/3 of my matches yesterday end in a 3k where the last guy got the hatch, wasn't too happy about it. :/ In each match I found the hatch first and just left it because I don't have time to be fighting for it, but still.

Comments

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    KillJiggy said:

I had about 1/3 of my matches yesterday end in a 3k where the last guy got the hatch, wasn't too happy about it. :/

What killer do you play? I'm afraid that the best way to counter the hatch is to have crazy map pressure. I might be able to help you out with some tips, but I will need to know what killer your using.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Hatch has always been survivor sided, what's new. It's a pretty undeserved escape. 2nd to last survivor always DC's or kills himself on the hook instantly to give the last guy the hatch as well. Even if he doesn't they just leave him there to die and wait for hatch.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@KillJiggy said:
    I had about 1/3 of my matches yesterday end in a 3k where the last guy got the hatch, wasn't too happy about it. :/ In each match I found the hatch first and just left it because I don't have time to be fighting for it, but still.

Try slugging the 2nd survivor while searching the last one.

Sure they can always DC, but atm this is the most reliable method if you want to 4k

• KillJiggy
    edited October 2018

I use Huntress and Spirit, and I usually do slug if I really want the 4k, but i had 2 matches where they dc'd last night. I really use all killers but those are my favs. @Peasant

• KillJiggy
    edited October 2018

Yeah it doesn't bother me either, it was just the frequency that it was happening. Honestly if they made it to where 3 gens needed to be completed I'd be content. @ZombieGenesis Id give the last guy the hatch every time.

• Peasant
    edited October 2018
    KillJiggy said:

I use Huntress and Spirit, and I usually do slug if I really want the 4k, but i had 2 matches where they dc'd last night.

I am so glad you said Huntress. Some of my greatest tips are as follows:
    - Find Whispers ASAP the perk is magical on Huntress
    - Nurse's Calling works very well and is highly recommended
    - BBQ & Chili is great as long as you remember to reload hatchets before hooking

As for gameplay tactics:
    - The hatchet throw is slightly below the center of your screen. Practice your aim and suddenly a rather large number of loops become worthless.
    - If folks vault try a quick hatchet. They're locked in the animation so exploit the heck out of this.
    - Try practicing the melee hatchet combo. Your hatchets have a smaller cooldown than your broadaxe so hit them with a hatchet and then go for a lunge. (Try Yew or Haft add-ons for this.)
    - In general, if you find yourself needing to go for melee swipes be sure to use Yew add-ons.
    - If you suspect someone of having Decisive Strike reload hatchets and look around, identify the closest vault or pallet. Once you pick them up if the survivor succeeds the skill check quickly turn ASAP and try to throw at hatchet at the vault. (Enduring is advised for this strategy.)
    - Lastly, make sure that you charge your shots, this will let you throw farther and faster. This is invaluable against more experienced hatchet jukers.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
    Post edited by Peasant on
  • KillJiggy

I'm a very good huntress player (would say rank 1 but not like it matters LOL) @Peasant
    "- If you suspect someone of having Decisive Strike reload hatchets and look around, identify the closest vault or pallet. Once you pick them up if the survivor succeeds the skill check quickly turn ASAP and try to throw at hatchet at the vault. (Enduring is advised for this strategy.)" (this tip is new to me thanks) I do run nurses, and bbq, whispers I only run sometimes.

• KillJiggy

Honestly if there was a perk that let me see the last survivor for 5 seconds after the second to last died/dc'd Id run it even though it is so situational.

• Peasant
    KillJiggy said:

I'm a very good huntress player (would say rank 1 but not like it matters LOL) @Peasant
    "- If you suspect someone of having Decisive Strike reload hatchets and look around, identify the closest vault or pallet. Once you pick them up if the survivor succeeds the skill check quickly turn ASAP and try to throw at hatchet at the vault. (Enduring is advised for this strategy.)" (this tip is new to me thanks) I do run nurses, and bbq, whispers I only run sometimes.

Just remember that you have a giant lullaby that let's people know when to hide long before you show up. Since you said that you have hatch trouble maybe consider swapping something out for Whispers as once you're stuck with just one survivor BBQ and Nurse's Calling can only do so much.
  • KillJiggy

@Peasant said:

Just remember that you have a giant lullaby that let's people know when to hide long before you show up. Since you said that you have hatch trouble maybe consider swapping something out for Whispers as once you're stuck with just one survivor BBQ and Nurse's Calling can only do so much.

Yeah I guess whispers is the best solution... Thank you :)

• Peasant
    KillJiggy said:

@Peasant said:

Yeah I guess whispers is the best solution... Thank you :)

I'm just trying to help people enjoy Dead by Daylight. Good luck in the fog!
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

@KillJiggy said:
    Yeah it doesn't bother me either, it was just the frequency that it was happening. Honestly if they made it to where 3 gens needed to be completed I'd be content. @ZombieGenesis Id give the last guy the hatch every time.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the hatch as much if this was the case. If i killed 3/4 and all they did was 2 gens, that doesn't deserve a free escape, they did awful. 3 gens though...yeah that might be fair.

• KillJiggy

@Blueberry said:

@KillJiggy said:

Honestly I wouldn't mind the hatch as much if this was the case. If i killed 3/4 and all they did was 2 gens, that doesn't deserve a free escape, they did awful. 3 gens though...yeah that might be fair.

Exactly, I feel I get punished for killing 3 when only 2 gens are done, I feel I get a 4k more frequently when it takes me longer to kill them.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

It's a really stupid mechanic that heavily favors Survivors. They get a free and easy escape for doing basically nothing. There was a really good fix in the PTB for 2.0.0 where the Killer could stomp on the Hatch to close it and the Survivor would have to repair a gen to open it. All it needed to be ready for the live build was for the Survivor's aura to be permanently revealed to the Killer at an unlimited range after a short amount of time (enough to allow them to get a generator done or find the Hatch) in order to prevent the Survivor from getting salty and taking the game hostage and give the Survivor a base Left Behind effect. Unfortunately, the crybabies emerged and whined their asses off until BHVR changed it to where the gates would be powered if the Hatch was closed and then they decided to not put the hatch closing mechanic in the live build and continue working on it.

As for counters, you can use Doctor or Freddy to help you slug. Before you down the last Survivor as Doctor, make sure to put them into Madness 3 so they can scream and reveal their location to you. Even if the Survivor is running Calm Spirit, the Doctor illusions will still appear and give away the Survivor's location. As Freddy, just down them as you normally would and don't get too close so you can see their aura. Hunt for the last Survivor until the slugged Survivor's health bar is almost empty (don't let it get too close to zero in case you down them again, because the bar will continue draining the moment the Survivor hits the ground). When that happens, hook the Survivor that you were just slugging and hope that you can find and kill the last one before they can get the Hatch.

If you end up in a standoff, then you can try to fake the Survivor out or use Unrelenting or Save the Best for Last. Unrelenting and Save the Best for Last (with a good amount of stacks) could work in a standoff because the attack CD might be faster than the Hatch jumping animation. Same thing with the missed attack CD. You can swing at the air in order to trick the Survivor into jumping in and you could grab them. This could also work without Unrelenting, but I'm not sure what the missed attack CD duration is. I've heard of Killers standing on the Hatch, but I'm not sure if hitting the Survivor will still allow them to go through you and jump in. This might sound like an exploit, but remember that the Survivor is choosing to stay at the Hatch and not go finish the gens and that if the Killer leaves, he is no longer protecting the Hatch and the Survivor can gain ground on or lose the Killer and jump in the Hatch.

You can also use certain perks to help you in that search for the last Survivor. BBQ can reveal the aura of the fourth Survivor if they are far enough away, but be wary of them trying to fake you out. Deerstalker can help you find the Survivor that you were slugging. Whispers can help you find both of the Survivors. There might be other perks out there to help you find the Survivors that I'm forgetting about, but these are three really good ones.

• KillJiggy

make sure to put them into Madness 3 so they can scream and reveal their location to you.
    @SnakeSound222 that is a really good tip. thanks

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

Play quite a bit of Huntress myself but I cannot seem to make sense of how to really get good impact out of Whispers. It's just a noise when a survivor is within a distance of you, I assume you just search while you hear it or am I missing something?

• KillJiggy

I mainly use it to tell me when not to look in an area. ie: when its not active. And also to locate the last survivor in the match. @AgentTalon

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

Ahhh I like the idea to think of it more when you don't hear it! That makes so much sense!

• KillJiggy

@AgentTalon said:
    Ahhh I like the idea to think of it more when you don't hear it! That makes so much sense!

Yeah :) I just use it to know not to waste time looking somewhere lol

• Soul_Consumption
    Soul_Consumption Member Posts: 68

@Master said:

@KillJiggy said:

Sure they can always DC, but atm this is the most reliable method if you want to 4k

This
    most reliable
    Unless you have whispers, then slug and hunt

• Soul_Consumption
    Soul_Consumption Member Posts: 68

@AgentTalon said:
    Play quite a bit of Huntress myself but I cannot seem to make sense of how to really get good impact out of Whispers. It's just a noise when a survivor is within a distance of you, I assume you just search while you hear it or am I missing something?

You should move in and out of whispers to create a perimeter, or range that the survivor may be in, then you search that area. Kind of like pinpointing your prey.
    It kind of helps to know your distances from looking around. An example of this would be a nurse's blink, which can go up to 20 meters, without addons.
    I can't recall how far whispers triggers. think it's 32 or 36 meters, but that's almost two full nurse blinks. So what you would do is go into KYF and use the nurse to blink fully twice without addons. observe the range you can get to and record it in your mind. recall what the range is for whispers and look around based on what the perk is telling you. Try to manipulate that range to corner a survivor or bring them more out into the open.

I'm sorry if that's confusing, but we could try and test this in KYF if you really wanted to

Hope that helps
    See you in the fog

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I don't even care about it anymore. I used to do stand offs back in a day when I started playing. Now I'll just go around kicking gens and breaking pallets if any left for some extra bp while looking for a survivor and staying away from the hatch so that they don't urban evade me for an hour. I wouldn't mind them changing how the hatch works, since I don't think survivor deserves to escape with 2 gens done while he was hiding entire game. But that's not gonna happen since the devs want to keep the majority of their player base happy regardless of the game balance.

• KillJiggy

@HellDescent said:
    I don't even care about it anymore. I used to do stand offs back in a day when I started playing. Now I'll just go around kicking gens and breaking pallets if any left for some extra bp while looking for a survivor and staying away from the hatch so that they don't urban evade me for an hour. I wouldn't mind them changing how the hatch works, since I don't think survivor deserves to escape with 2 gens done while he was hiding entire game. But that's not gonna happen since the devs want to keep the majority of their player base happy regardless of the game balance.

This is me. Are you actually me. Hello.

• Michiko
    Michiko Member Posts: 623
    If I know theres a survivor that did Gens (I've caught them in the middle of doing gens before chasing) I don't mind giving them hatch. Its the survivors who do nothing I don't like getting hatch. I feel like hatch should be point dependent, meaning if you have a certain amount of repair points depending on "X" survivors that are dead, then the hatch will open. Therefore, it'll force survivors to actually do sh**. 
  • DwightNot
    DwightNot Member Posts: 1

It is a very easy fix: First of all, make the hatch appear @ 2 gens instead of 3. 2nd of all: Make it un-openable without a key, but it would still appear even with a full group @ 2 gens. I'm a genius, i know, you don't need to tell me.

• KillJiggy

@Michiko i like that idea, minimum number of points to open the hatch, I also think that 3 gens need to be done instead of two, however @DwightNot I am fine with it opening for the last survivor, heck I actually think if three gens are done and the second to last survivor dies it should just show the survivor where the hatch is.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Soul_Consumption said:

@Master said:

@KillJiggy said:

This
    most reliable
    Unless you have whispers, then slug and hunt

even with whispers, its the better strategy if you want that 4k

• HuN7r3sS
    HuN7r3sS Member Posts: 211
    I usually get 3k or 4k with Huntress using my odd build of Ruin, Overcharge, Deerstalker, and Haunted Grounds with the use of Monto's machine hatchet build to rapid fire with a 2nd and 3rd hatchet if the first doesn't land
  • redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    If you have iridescent heads run them with infantry belt and try not to use them on a healthy unless you time your throw correctly to take out a unhooker that's going for a save and put on a black ward to save them
  • KillJiggy

@HuN7r3sS said:
    I usually get 3k or 4k with Huntress using my odd build of Ruin, Overcharge, Deerstalker, and Haunted Grounds with the use of Monto's machine hatchet build to rapid fire with a 2nd and 3rd hatchet if the first doesn't land

I run BBQ, Whispers, M&A, and Nurses. Although I think I'm going to use Pop Goes the Weasel instead of M&A now. And sometimes I take off Whispers for Blood Warden.