Freddy does not really need a nerf, but mostly changes to how his power works

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781

Freddy is not OP as I have mentioned in the past. However, I will admit that it is kinda lame how he can do so much for doing nothing. I am talking about how survivors fall asleep. The fact that survivors can fall asleep and suffer from Freddy leeching off of them because of it is a bit weird. He gets cooldown for his dream projection, makes it hard to hide as a survivor, and can slow down survivors with his addons for just walking around.

I am pretty sure the devs said they are going to nerf him, but I hope they just change him since they are only looking at the skewed data. I fear that they will gut him, and then forget about him like with Clown in a way.

I think that Freddy should still stay as he is with the abilities he has. He should in fact have both dream pallets and dream snares to use base kit along changing him to compensate assuming they are going to nerf him. Maybe, this is an option that I feel would be better for Freddy to just have base kit.

Freddy becomes a real threat when you are asleep in the dream world and he gets stronger the longer you stay in there (his dream projection and snares). I think that this needs to stay, but I also think that it should be more convenient for survivors to escape the dream world without impeding them from objectives to a certain point. Maybe something like maximizing the number of times they are slowed down for each wake-up action on survivors to encourage more altruism to only two.

Freddy can feel overwhelming to play against as survivor, but he is definitely not impossible like a lot of people say. I myself like to just fail skill checks on a generator every few skill checks to stay asleep, I also will always wake up my teammates and have them wake me up as well. If he comes to where I am, then I loop him without getting hit while my team holds m1. This already makes the Freddy player struggle to hook one person. Without his power, he has nothing except his height to use in a chase which is what I think his upcoming rework (nerfs) should expand upon.

I think that the devs should rework his power to make his power skillful to use in the part where survivors fall asleep. I think that Freddy should be a killer who relies on his power alone to catch survivors, such as hag and trapper. Instead of survivors passively falling asleep, what if he had to smack or use his old ability (the one that made survivors fall asleep) to make survivors fall asleep instead of just passively? Of course, this could be changed to be stronger.

Or what if survivors could still fall asleep passively, but slowly woke up the longer they were in a chase for? This would give Freddy have more of his old hit and run playstyle and still be strong and unique rather than just being a better Wraith and Ghostface with his dream snares and pallets. It would also force Freddy players to play skillfully and maximize the impact of their chases to win and be more fun for survivors. I say more fun for survivors because many people think he is a lame killer to go against, but remember that they are also just playing the game same as you and want to have fun.

I just really hope they do a good job and don't kill him.

Comments

• SOMENINJANAME
    SOMENINJANAME Member Posts: 294

Some good ideas. I understand the kill rate of 76ish % seems overwhelming. However, if they "kill" him by over nerfing him, we could see him become unnecessarily weak. He should always have Dream Pallets and Snares, but like you said, they should make it a little overall easier for Survivors to wake up/stay awake.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

I liked this one idea I saw for Freddy. His snares would become smaller, but more potent. That way you have to a bit more skillful with how you place them.

But I agree with you, Freddy is by no means op.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

The only change he needs is BT should work against him.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

nah, they need to raise his skill floor and give him more depth. It takes too little for a player to translate their efforts into wins compared to other killers. Freddy has the anti-looping power of the clown with a Demogorgon teleport that requires no setup and, as others said, a passively increasing status akin to pre-rework Doc's treatment mode.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

This is similar to what I've been saying as well.

Freddy's issue isn't that he's too strong, it's just how little skill is required. So all we really need to do is raise his skill level requirement to do well.

• BoopMySNOOOOOT
    BoopMySNOOOOOT Member Posts: 13

I would almost rather see him stay the same however I would slow down the sleep timer by another 15 seconds in combination with one change. If you are awake when Freddy hits you it puts you into the dream state but you don't take the health state damage. After, in the dream, you could then be injured. I feel like this is more true to the character as well.

• Yords

It does, but survivors are usually asleep. WIth my changes, it would make it to where survivors would have an easier time staying awake so they could use BT.

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894

He's going to be buried as usual. The already made blocks & pill bottle useless. I'm certain his other add-ons will get the same.

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

I just want them to make his abilities require at least a small amount of skill.

Also get more fun add-on design instead of 'gens go slower wooo'.

• Yords

True, to compensate he should definitely make it easier for survivors to wake up which encourages altruism. Altruism is also how you used to beat old Freddy easily, so it would bring back the old Freddy feeling of "Where are my teammates?". It would also make it seem more like you are in "Freddy's world" and he is powerful there and you don't know what's real.

I think that making survivors work together to make it easier for them also sounds more fun than how he works now.

• What Freddy needs is changes to make his power less spammable. So you have to actually think about when and where to use them. Also the undying nerf will help as well. Lastly, I get that his hitbox is smaller than most killers but it makes timing things MUCH harder against him and makes lag even more noticeable; so if they could try and do something about this it would help a lot.

I think that alone would bring his kill rate down in the less skilled areas where it's proving a problem, and not mess with his ability to perform well at higher level play.

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,045

Agreed 2000%.

I miss the hell out of old Freddy. Bringing back some aspects of him would be awesome. I really wish snares weren't a thing as well, they're soooo boring to use.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

His sleep effect is too fast imo. I felt like when I played a game against him that I may as well have been asleep the entire time since id regain it before I could do half a gen (atleast felt that way). His teleport to gens feels a bit too fast as well.

• TauNkosi
    TauNkosi Member Posts: 282

I hate his teleportation. It's essentially free map pressure. It's annoying when he hooks a survivor all the way on the other side of the map, sees you working on a gen with BBQ and teleports to that gen with almost no effort. I think there should be a range or limit to how far he can teleport/what gens he can teleport to.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

He already has a cooldown on teleporting though this would cripple him so no this idea should not be implemented

• Yords

But if we changed the way he has to keep survivors asleep, it would reward him for doing it allowing to use his teleportation which would force Freddy players to rely on skill to get the most out of his power. A range to it doesn't seem like the best idea.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

I mean it wouldn't hurt him that much, he already has insane map pressure, chase slowdown, and addons that help with slowing the game down. He has everything a killer needs.

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,026

I get it that lot of people dont like Friedrich Krüger, but he is by far not OP. He is viable at red ranks, but there are a lot of killers which are better than him imo (e.g. Oni, Billy, Nurse). He is easier to control compared to other killers, but u cant play him braindead. If he was that OP, u would see much more Freds @rank 1. I face him only in 1 of 10 matches. You have to be careful with these kill rates... A lot of people are disconnecting or suiciding on first hook against Fredderico, cuz they are "bored". I guess that u see a lot of Freddys in low and middle ranks, thats why so many people dislike poor Fred :( Tbh I miss the old Fritz, too, even if he was much weaker. I dont know if another number nerf would help. Maybe he gets the Billy and Nurse treatment :/

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

He's is fine. Buff the others and don't take the easy way out by watering one down when he is as he should be. It's horror gaming sooo people should be on edge. Freddy can do that well where others cannot. BRING BACK THE TERROR that flaps in the night.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

his teleporting gets weaker as the game goes on and it isn't instant. I hide from it a lot. Have to play according to the killer and perks you face.

• HexSmolPP
    HexSmolPP Member Posts: 62

Freddy isn't OP? Oof, you must be trash with him then. Because every Killer I know can 4K without perks on Freddy... It's that simple, hell I did it all the way down to red rank with Freddy and no perks to just prove a point.

• Yords

I could send you some gameplay of me playing him some time if you think I am "trash". Either I am really bad with him, or you are really bad against him if you think that he is OP which is what I think you are implying. I doubt you went all the way from low to high ranks with him using no perks as well.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

Something I'd like to see tested is having both snares and pallets at once, and skillfully having to choose which 10 things you're trapping.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    edited February 2021

I don't see any issue with freddy other than bad teammates refusing to adapt their play styles. Aside from not hugging the same loops over and over, survivors still have the tools to deal with him like every other killer.

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 512

I would like to see a change to his dream pallets, and build upon that idea of manipulating the tilesets. The reason nobody uses dream pallets is because they literally do nothing to awake survivors, and even then they don't help in loops with real pallets in them until they have been used up. Also, after you hook a survivor they instantly wake up so they will never fall for any fake pallets you placed near them.

Imagine if they expanded what you could change. Make windows disappear, or fake windows that make the survivor stumble if they try to jump through it (since they are trying to jump over basically thin air).

Make breakable walls appear that aren't actually there but the sleeping survivor has to treat as a real wall? Make real pallets disappear to sleeping survivors etc. so many things they could do to make it more thematic and interesting.

• Yords

Exactly, dream windows and breakable walls would be cool. However, I feel like that would be too powerful.

• Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696

Add a small cooldown for placing snares, pallets are fine

Remove passive sleep, bring back beam to place Survivor in sleep (hit is fine too)

Allow BT to work based on Killer radius to hook, not status effects

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

what i don't like in Freddy is when he hit someone then he put someone to sleep, imagine you're already injured now you're in dream where dream pallet or snare could trap you and put you in dying state.

Also I like to can use every alarm in map not only specific alarm to escape from dream world, this would make Freddy balanced i think

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

I brought this up before as well. The sleep timer kinda sucks, and rewards the Killer for just being there. Having to land a hit and actively hunt Survivors in order to put them to sleep would be a far better solution that any other nerfs. I personally don't like Freddys playstyle, though, as his powers feel a bit unfocused. He's a chase trapper with incredible map control, but it feels a bit disjointed. Still, I think he could keep all that for the sake of it and just ditch the sleep timer. If a player REALLY wanted people to fall asleep automatically, Freddy would still have two addons that do just that.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited February 2021

I think some of the reason at least some enjoy him is that there is so much 'micromanagement' already for killers and you even have to keep track of 4 other players' perks often on top of your own and they probably enjoy the lack of sweat. I enjoy doctor for the lack of sweat. I found freddy a boring playstyle for me, but, for how laid back and fun the doctor can be I enjoyed him so I imagine others probably enjoy freddyf or similar reasons and might not put themselves int he queue as killers if theyw ere forced into sweatier playstyles. Which as we see can become a problem unless their stimulus check became dependent on filling the need for killers in the queue... which I wouldn't put past the future in my country at this point with the brave new world we have to look forward to. That's a joke, but, one I wouldn't be surprised to come true in some way at some point int he future lmao. "equity of queues" "do your part for the peoples' queue" "give others a chance to oppress you in video games and stop hogging all of the fun or it will negatively impact your 'credit' rating" and such drivel

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

I hope they rework a lot of things about him and the way his mechanics work. Constantly falling asleep is just oppressive. After a while it's not even worthwhile to wake up anymore. That's bs

I don't really have much sympathy for Freddy though so I don't care if they end up going too heavy handed on him lol

He's an extremely easy to play, oppressive killer and I don't like it

• Yords
  • CheyeneKL
    CheyeneKL Member Posts: 723

BT does NOT work against Freddy because the way he works is antithetical to how BT works. BT does not work if you are oblivious (which you are while you are in the dream world).

Against a NORMAL camping killer, you go in for the BT save while healthy, tank a hit, and then either go down with the second smack (unless you have dead hard) or get lucky with a timely body block from the unhooked person. But since a hit from Freddy makes you oblivious, you do not give the unhooked survivor the endurance effect from BT so THAT'S why BT doesn't really work against Freddy.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,147

The fact I get point for sleep survivors is stupid cause I didn't even hit them yet.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,147

They took it away cause it has 7 second to fall asleep. Killers and survivors were frustrated by how he non-existent until you sleep and had to missed skill check.