When do you show mercy to a survivor and let them live?

Options

I almost never but if there are 4-5 gens left the survivor is my favourite character who doesn't use ds doesn't teabag or any type of bm and they give up and come to me.

Comments

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options
    When someone is in the middle of harvesting a Canker. If they finish before I leave the area, then they are fair game. 
  • Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options
    If the survivor is in my Steam group I'll not only spare then, I will tell them before the match that they're going to face me.

If they're not in my Steam group it comes down to petty nonsense like whether or not I have gotten my BBQ token from the them yet.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,471
    Options

Honestly, if the game was balanced I'd let people go in a lot of circumstances. However, with the game still in the balance state that it is, killers have to get whatever they can take. The devs havn't left any room for kindness.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options
    Blueberry said:

Honestly, if the game was balanced I'd let people go in a lot of circumstances. However, with the game still in the balance state that it is, killers have to get whatever they can take. The devs havn't left any room for kindness.

https://youtu.be/hcjN5BNU9CY
    Let the punishment begin.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Several disconnects/suicides in a row.

• Killigma
    Killigma Member Posts: 372
    Options

If the game has 2 DC, I usually let the remaining two go, or I have gained 3k in less than a few minutes I will let the last Survivor farm and grab the hatch. Otherwise everything else is fair game imo.

• Killigma
    Killigma Member Posts: 372
    edited October 2018
    Options

-A random double post appeared-

• Strider
    Strider Member Posts: 94
    Options

I let survivors go if their teammates abandoned them early in the game. If this happens, I try to let them know I'm not going to hurt them by just standing around them as they do generators and I'll even lead them to the next generator they would need to do.

I also can't care less for hatch stand-offs so I don't bother just standing on the hatch to wait for them to try and risk it. I'll patrol around and catch them if possible but if they get it, so be it.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited October 2018
    Options

There's pity, which happens sometimes, when I'm not feeling sadistic. It's a 3 person game or some such.

But what happens more often is when I respect them. If a certain survivor has ran some good loops without getting an ego and being trollish, and if they are one of the last two alive, i'll let them hatch out. or i'll drop them at the hatch and let them crawl out. At this point I've lost enough double pips because of a 1% hook camping that i didn't deserve, that I just don't care about my rank. But then again I play around rank 5.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If I'm in a really good mood and it's a Feng Min or Shirtless David other than that I might also let the previously mentioned survivors live if they got completely dominated for example 4 or 5 gens are still left

Edit: add cowboy hat Jake to the list because that is one sexy dude
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

Happens a lot in the event. If the survivors help me out, or I get enough hooks, I let them go.

Other than that, misfortune breeds fortune, and chaos.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For this event i was doing a no kill two hook everyone challenge. I was downing death hook survivours to keep pressure off gens while I hunted the remaining survivours who havent been two hooked. This was done to try and slow my climb initially however i find it more enjoyable to get the chases going constsntly which is harder when you start taking people out.

If survivours arent getting vials ill just go back to normal killing but it is a fun way to spend more time practising your chase. 
  • Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    Options

When they are the last one left and i went a bit to hard on them

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331
    Options

After this event and my recent games in the purple ranks, I will never show any kind of mercy. So many survivors recently have just been annoying as all hell. Lots of flashlight bullies, toxic messages for clean 4ks, and everything else everyone knows happens.

Case in point. Last night as Myers, I have 2 dead and 1 on the hook with exit gates powered and open. Little Sammy saves a-lot comes over to try and save the hooked person and gets downed by Tier 3. Hook him and he makes the escape, but of course, I'm waiting for it because I suspect he has deliverance. Boom back to the ground and back on the hook.

Like clockwork, I get some message about "Don't you know how rare that is?!" and some name calling. I provide a simple response "Yup, 4%".

No one lives, not ever the 4%.

• Milkymalk
    Milkymalk Member Posts: 217
    Options

To qualify for mercy, several conditions have to be met:
    1. The match must have been fun for me so far.
    2. No teabagging, flashlight for escapes or at pallets, or endless looping from pallet to pallet or around the same building all the time.
    3. I believe I have made a lot of points.
    4. I have the impression that you are having a bad game or belong in games with worse killers. For example if I would hook you for the third time in the first 5 minutes or so. Then I only slug you and you can get healed.

In short, if I have a fun game, I will try to not ruin yours.

• Soul_Consumption
    Soul_Consumption Member Posts: 68
    Options

I rarely let my prey off. Unless I get like 3 D/Cs and there's still five generators, but that's if I'm feeling nice

• FinLadd
    FinLadd Member Posts: 190
    Options
    Peasant said:
    Blueberry said:

https://youtu.be/hcjN5BNU9CY
    Let the punishment begin.
    Aah megadeth... 
  • apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245
    Options

If I am really just kicking a whole lot of ass, and no one's annoyed me, then I tend to feel some strange sense of guilt. The other night I actually brought a surv to the hatch after downing em and dropped em off.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options
    If they don't annoy me, I generally give out a hatch every 1 in 3 games.
  • SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    Options

I should point out that I am, generally, Ok with flashlights, especially if they find them in trial. It's part of the game.

Using said flashlight to troll me is different though.

• Shadow_Leira
    Shadow_Leira Member Posts: 3
    Options

The highest I've ever gotten in Killer rank is 19 (I'm a survivor main) but if I know I can get 2 people killed then I usually let the other two go.

Unless if I'm Michael, then I try for a 4 man and if I can't get that (a DC for example), then I'll let the last person get the hatch.

• Greater_Cultist
    Greater_Cultist Member Posts: 81
    Options

@ThirdSealOPplzNerf said:
    I almost never but if there are 4-5 gens left the survivor is my favourite character who doesn't use ds doesn't teabag or any type of bm and they give up and come to me.

Nearly never, sometimes I plan on letting them go and then realize I didn't get my BBQ stack or they happen to have DS.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

It depends on the situation. If there were DC at the start and the player is not toxic, I might let one of them get the hatch. Also, if the person was farmed during the match, being unhooked in front of me, I usually try to spare them. And more than once I have spared the last survivor alive, who instead of trying to find the hatch, decides to fix a gen.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Options
    NEVER
  • Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780
    Options

If they have 2 DC's I let them escape.
    If the survivor is meme'ing, and wasn't an #########, I generally let them go too.

And there was this one time this Claudette went to the basement, I saw her with BBQ, and as I was nearing she slowly walked out of the basement and just stood there. So I felt bad and left her. She had a trap on her head anyway. I still killed her later though.

• Wowz261
    Wowz261 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    I only let survivors go if they meet these conditions
    1 - they’re the last survivor in the match
    2 - the hatch is accessible or the exit gates are open
    3 - the survivor was not a jerk( good sport )
    4 - Rare/ I feel bad for them when they lose hope and stop wiggling or just stop midchase
    5 - they don’t blind me or attempt to (While trolling).
    6 - survivor was not a thorn in my side (#3)                 I do not care if they have dicisive strike.
    I also don’t care about being blinded by flashlights as long as the survivor is not trolling.
  • PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

I usually let 1 person go in my pig matches every game out of character principle. I want them to get the feeling of Amanda after playing the game being the only one to survive. But if theres a toxic person in that match trolling me or trolling their own team mates it usually tilts me enough to kill everyone. But there haven't been many toxic people in my matches, its rare enough that I usually allow 1 person to just barely escape.

• sadmuffins13
    sadmuffins13 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    I actually carried a survivor to the hatch because someone quit today .Didnt think they deserved to suffer because of someone else rage quiting .
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

I'm starting to think showing mercy is a horrible thing to do to survivors. It causes mass confusion, and chaos.

So, I start up a trial trying to do my ritual, and maybe get some event hooks.

One DCs almost instantly. I'm like. "C'mon now."
    Me being me, just wanting event hooks, and the ritual done, I'm willing to let them go.
    I see a bright purple Claudette run towards me, and by me towards flowers. I'm like "ok, cool. Go harvest." and just keep going towards a gen.

I hook one. No one rescues her. I even catch a survivor, and they're struggling. SUPER! It's the purple Claudette! Surely she'll be altruistic!
    I carry them to the hooked survivor. Let them wiggle off, then I run away as fast as a trapper can, and go half way across the map. No trap near by.
    Still no rescue. Dead on 1st hook. Dafak?

Down to two.
    I see the Claudette again. I chase her. Carry her to a hook, and let her off.
    And chase her. And lose her.
    I chase her again, and carry her to a generator, and she wiggles off. I run the other way.
    And chase again. I run so fast I can get almost in front of her, and turn around and look at her. Lose her.
    I mean she wants to be chased, it feels like. Decoy training?
    She fails self heal checks, and she runs at me.
    You get the picture right?
    I'm just short of saying
    "No! Wait! I survivor now!"
    I'm trying to give every hint that she should do gens, and that I'm not looking for a sacrifice.
    This goes on most of the trial.
    Eventually she stops running, I hit her twice, and pick her up. She doesn't wiggle. I'm like "Ok, I guess you're done?" Hook. Dead quick.You know the flowers I saw her run towards? Not harvested. I'm well out of event hooks.

Down to one. 4 gens left after all this time. I'm face palming. A lot of the gens are dead.
    Gen pops. Huzzah! Hatch will spawn!
    I go looking for the Hatch. It's easy enough to find. It's open in the middle of the street!
    I find the 4th, Min, ruthlessly maul her, then carry her to the hatch, and drop her. Hatch escape. Sweet mercy.

One of many stories of killer Altruism that just seems to cause mass confusion.

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options

If they play well and know the game I typically let them live after weeding out the weaker survivors as long as they weren't toxic and used clutch perks or hid in lockers.

• CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540
    Options

Show mercy to the survivors? I thought survivors were in the power role?

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited October 2018
    Options

I usually let the last guy go if they did 2 gens and played fair, as long as I got at least 1 hook on them for BBQ stacks. IDK why so many killers complain about the hatch. It's seriously not a big deal to let the last one escape, you will always pip and usually double pip in those games so hatch standoff is just a waste of time. Killers that complain about it are just greedy crybabies.

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    Options
    At first sometimes I did, y'know just to be friendly. After the 50th hate mail they will be slugged for days. If I can slugs them all even better, if in my mori list.. Welp, I hope you don't got stuck in a corner