Why does everyone hate the new Ui?

Options

I don't understand it, the new Ui is awesome.

• You can see how wich in game character is injured
  • You can look how many hooks you have and if it's worth to save a teammate or not
  • You can choose how big your ui should be.
  • Yeah the position is a bit weird but not hard to learn.

Comments

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

I don't understand it either. I think it's just a bandwagon thing. People always try to find something to be angry about in dbd.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

You could see #1 even with the old UI. The size of the UI is not important if it weren't as bad as it is. The resizing is also junk because it also shrinks your skill check. Which is a ridiculously stupid oversight. Hook state is nice but it doesn't outweight how bad the new UI is. It's not just about learning the position it's also how cluttered the screen is, in a game that is supposed to be atmospheric and immersive.

• narf
    narf Member Posts: 68
    Options

You have to look in 5 different places and physically move your head to gain the same amount of information you did before when you could just have a quick glance at the bottom right and bottom left of the screen. The information is all over the screen AND even looking at it you can't tell at first glance

the name of the survivor because it's now in an area that is more likely cluttered,

the time they have left on the hook because there's no frame of reference anymore,

how long your exhaustion is going to last because it's literally red on dark red,

the amount of gens left because you gotta put your UI to 70% now so you can use the upper quarter of your monitor,

any survivor info because you have to put everything at 70% so you can see in the left quarter of your monitor,

When in the old UI you could literally just glance at the bottom left to get all of that info except for exhaustion and perk timers. It's bad, we told them it was bad, and they still implemented it. They should feel bad about it.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 432
    Options

Check this thread - https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/225581/a-critical-and-detailed-look-at-the-new-ui-and-why-its-poorly-designed

It sums pretty much everything you need to know about why it's worse than the original HUD.

• Retromind
    Retromind Member Posts: 156
    Options

Because with the old UI just by glancing for a second over a left bottom corner you saw literally everything that is important, everything was packed neatly. Now we have the same information spread around every corner and side of the screen. It's resembles a typical mobile game UI.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

^ This. This. This.

OP isn't the first person to ask why the UI is bad, and this is one of the big reasons. While working on gens, survivors need that information in their peripheral vision, they need to be able to see and understand all the info they need quickly at a glance. It was soooo well done before, the health states and the hook/bleed-out bars were obvious and only required a quick glance to read and it was right there, you didn't have to move your eyes across the screen from the gen progress bar and skillcheck area.

I also really dislike that the survivor names stick out from the edge of the screen. Why?? They're not important info, I don't need them all up in my FOV, they were fine along the bottom. When I make the HUD smaller, the names become unreadable anyway but they're still sticking out from the side of the screen.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Looking everywhere for information is annoying. You can't tell how close to sacrifice a survivor is. Even at max setting the hud is tiny. It just doesn't work. Adding the pictures was a good idea. Adding the hook counters was another good idea. They do not counter the negatives.

• OperationMintyHippo
    Options

No one is complaining about the information it now provides. What's awful about it is that it was all compounded into one neat area in the same corner, but for some reason they thought it would be better to put everything each in its own corner??? It is very inconvenient and not efficient at all. That's what we all hate. Keep the stuff just put it back.

• Rittihilatti
    Rittihilatti Member Posts: 124
    Options

A guy drives his car on the freeway and listening the news in the radio.

• Be careful everyone, one crazy person on the freeway drives his car facing with the traffic.
    • What do you mean one? All of them!
  • sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

Yes they did. A lot of people wanted to buff solo survivors information wise to be closer to swf. And thats what the new ui starts. Yes, the totem counter some requestet isnt there, but a hook counter is.

Take a look around the forum, and you will see a lot of people requested such changes. They might not be aware that the way to do that might take a new ui, but they still requested it.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

I hate how it's all over the screen. The elements themselves aren't bad, at least to me, but I want them in a nice little corner where I quick peek gives me all the info I need, not looking left/right/top/bottom for what I want.

• xSymantha
    xSymantha Member Posts: 58
    Options

Love the information it provides (hook counter, survivor portraits).

But I play on Xbox and on a decently-sized TV screen. I have to squint to see certain information like what is going on in the top right hand corner when you earn bloodpoints for something... some people feel like the UI is intrusive and too big, I feel like certain aspects are a bit too small. While they have scaling, they don't have scaling for the individual pieces of the info on the screen...

Also, I have seen many great designs made by the community that use the Adept drawings of the survivors as the portraits instead of what is currently being used, I feel like it would better suit Dead By Daylight and it's feel.

• sulaiman
    Options

That might not have been what you meant, but it was what you said.

If i see your rework, it would not be usable on my screen, because, while i can see the hook counter in this format, on my screen ingame its a lot smaller, and i cant stop the game to see those details. So i doubt your option would have been viable. I am not saying the new hud was nessecary, i just say its not easy to make a new one.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,989
    Options

I only dislike its positioning and how it's spread out. Other than that it's not that bad imho

• sulaiman
    Options

@dezzmont Thanks for your post, i think it is really good. Just a short reminder (not that important, just to complete): there are perks you need to look at to see if they are active, like Spine Chill or Devour hope. There are perks that make you use your perk tile all the time.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Try playing the Nurse and having to pay attention to both your power bar in the bottom for charges, The survivors on the top, the center of the screen for gameplay, and finally your perks in the opposite corner from the survivors if your running whispers or devour hope to see if they are on or not.

This isn't even paying attention to the very top for generators left or looking closely at the screen to find a hiding Claudette.

If you have to manage your power or are using whispers/Devour hope it makes you constantly look around in circles.

• justtrynaplay
    justtrynaplay Member Posts: 81
    Options

I think the new uni is alright I just wish that some things were a bit bigger but that can be solved by scaling it up I don’t understand why people act like having to look all over the screen is so much extra effort it really isn’t

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

If you haven't already please put this in the pinned UI post in the feedback section for the devs to see.

• LARI
    LARI Member Posts: 66
    Options

cuz it was a dumb decision to change it, they could've changed the portraits and keep the UI the same. Adding hook counters made the game easier to follow in terms of info on both sides ( don't like that personally). Old UI did the same job and was easier to follow cuz it had all info in one corner and it was clean. new UI is ######### cuz I have to follow the visual feedback in top of my screen, see whos injured on the left side of my screen etc. On old UI I only had to look down to left corner and there all info was visible, easy to see, clean and the only thing was that I couldn't tell who was injured (I knew someone was but didn't know who)

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

I don't think anyone is complaining about the new information but rather the intrusive and unintuitive way its presented.

I found until I played around with resizing it and changing res, having all the extra crap in the corner of my eye rather than below my eyeline really made me motion sick. But that's just me.

The chief problems are

1 its to busy, the information is so spread out its incredibly unintuitive to scan it all. It used to be all in one place

2 It obstructs field of view, its in the way which is not only annoying but also immersion breaking

3 The info surrounding the screen as it does creates a form of visual claustrophobia which restricts view more than it adds to it, its very poorly mapped out purely from a human eye perspective.

4 Its lost is subdued look, its bright and colourful like somekind of tutorial hud. This makes it look cheaply designed and more like a mobile app hud than a game hud. which feeds into...

5 A lack of aesthetic character in line with the theme of the game, why isn't the hook counter a grisly tally similar to the dbd logo, no its bright red circle of lights that looks like it belongs in a sci fi FPS HUD, its very out of place. Which again is ugly and visually jarring.

6 yes we will all get accustomed to it but that doesn't mean its better, so why settle for getting accustomed to worse when we can ask for better?

The rest has been said and I think the arguments against this HUD are very valid in game and design terms. Its uglier, less functional, poorly implemented and not in line with game aesthetic, making it a real failure and kind of breaking the game imersion for me thus reducing my interest in playing.

If it was customizable to the point I could move items around and position them where I wanted, then a lot of the aesthetic failings would be countered by pragmatism but at the moment its aesthetically unpleasing and functionally worse.

• Another_LegionMain
    Another_LegionMain Member Posts: 399
    Options

A Red timer on Red background. Really? Do you know how [REDACTED] hard it is to see that!?

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Yes the new information is good but they could have added that to the old UI and had the best of both worlds.

I think you are missing the point.

People asked for additional information on the hud, not to explode the hud outwards into all four corners of the map in a really unintuitive manner. Almost any new HUD could have been a better, more intuitive design than this.

We are not against new or change but it has to be an improvment and this really isn't, its a substantial design downgrade that looks really amateurishly implemented.

• sulaiman
    Options

I saw someone integrate the hook counter into the old hud, but to be fair, while it is fine being about half the screen in a picture, ingame i doubt i would have seen the hook counter. Expanding the survivor status to the left side is very fine to me, as it also opens up opportunities to extend the information given on that hud.

• _HN_
    _HN_ Member Posts: 385
    Options

My thought exactly. It looks very... well, amateurish.

It breaks basically ALL the standard rules of UI designs to a point that I'm left wondering "how could that happen"?

• MetaDeth
    MetaDeth Member Posts: 31
    Options

I like it but it's so dark I have to squint to try and see anything.

And the UI is too small. I have it at 100% and it's still too small.

I can't tell how much time someone has left on hook.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    Options

The position is better than the old one imo. The bottom part of the screen is important for gameplay. If they push everything to the top, it wouldnt distract from gameplay.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options
    1. I could tell before. If you are someone who couldn't, how would you track a squad of the same characters now?
    2. Must be nice for survivors. The way you put it sounds like you don't know your own hook state. Which is 🤨.
    3. You can choose how big your skill check should be. Between 100 and 70.
    4. If the last gen pops I like to check if anyone had adrenaline. Right now I look towards the bottom left then have to look up. Because of how they design the icons, I have to focus on them to distinguish it from the current background. Where as before a quick glance gave me all the information I needed without taking away from the game play.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,829
    Options

the fact that it clutters the entire screen, and if you make the UI smaller its almost impossible to read anything

also, changing the UI size will make skill-checks smaller too... its stupid as hell

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    edited February 2021
    Options

It isn't the end of the world, but it is pretty annoying how all of the information that we used to be able to find in one corner of our screen is now all over the place for no reason. It just looks weird and is inefficient when you want to find out what is going on. There was also quite literally, absolutely no reason to change something that didn't need to be changed.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2021
    Options

Clearly not something to be proud of, but I have spent about 20k hours of my life playing computer games. It's the first time I got motion sickness from a game.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

TL:DR

It's a little more information, that part is good but it's all over the place. They could have just kept everything where it was and it would have been perfectly fine.

• v4lor
    v4lor Member Posts: 74
    Options

The fundamental function of UI in a game is to display information to the player in a concise way, and the new one fails at that core principal.

The elements themselves I don't find terrible, but that's subjective. However, the failure to keep the information concise is objectively impaired. Instead of a quick glance to one area of the screen to see gen progress, teammate status, and item status, I have to scan every area of the screen for that information. Bottom-left for my item charges, top-left for character portraits, top-center for gen progress... It's just all this unnecessary scanning around different part of the screen that used to be all in one place.

Again, I do like the visual design of the individual elements... but scattering them all over the screen is the main offense.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

It's objectively poor game design.

It is best to place as much information as possible in one location of the screen so players can absorb information quickly and with less eye movement. It helps players focus more on the game and less on gathering basic information.

The placement, size, and animations are worse and either too small or too easy to miss.

It takes up to much of the screen so you actually have less of the game you can actually see.

These are only a few of the issues with the new HUD.

• pejii
    pejii Member Posts: 79
    edited February 2021
    Options

great question, here is my take and hates about the new UI:

1- I hate the colors in the new UI, its too distracting. the gray/white solid color UI was just perfect.

2- the location of information is terrible:

2A- the killer power/item charges is too far to the left and down, I have to look way off the screen for the info that I need, today I did a ton of early T3 on myers because the info was just too bad.

2B- the location of the survivor's info is too bad where it is, today I was the last one alive in a match and I was just doing my gen while another player was on his 1st hook, I was just doing gen, killer came and started the chase with me, the other player went into struggle phase and I was like.... why no one else is going for the rescue? I didn't realise that we two were the last survivors untill I got hooked.

2C- the location of info about gens left and hatch is also bad, the old location was way better.

2D- the hook count on killer side is just terrible, not welcomed this way at all, if they don't want to give killers counts on per person's hook, better not give them any info at all, whoever plays a killer probably can count to 3 already anyway.

the suggestion that karaoke had few posts ago is a lot better if all they wanted to do was give more info to the players, just add those dots/bars to the old UI, the on UI was great the way it was, the scalability is welcomed to the old UI aswell.

to be honest, whoever designed the new UI was for sure an app developer, playing with the new UI feels like playing a mobile game now.

• honk137
    honk137 Member Posts: 9
    Options

I feel the restriction of view was intentional. Have things blocking the corners of your vision creat the need to look around more, which adds more of a horror element. Which let's remember this game is supposed to be scary. Having to divide your attention to different corners of the screen for the ui is also adding to a horror aspect back into the game. This is just my opinion but I think the ui makes the game feel fresher and actually a little scarier

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited February 2021
    Options

We are mad about the positions of important info what's new doesn't matter in terms of the basics this UI is just bad.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649
    Options

Can you maybe use the search function in this forum before making this post? There are already hundreds of posts explaining why the UI is terrible.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

I agree with your first 2 points but the question is why couldn't they have just kept the old layout with those 2 changes?

Who knows maybe they'll release a survey asking about how we feel about the UI and hide the results without changing anything. Maybe they'll make a minimal change to the current UI and just say "Ok you got what you want, we're done".