Killer Hook Counter

Options

I like most people don't enjoy the new UI and HUD. On the other hand, I do think that the killer hook counter is really beneficial for newer killers because it gives them a sense of progression during the game that they wouldn't get otherwise. Before this, they wouldn't get any sense of progression during the game until the end. Survivors have had a sense of progression from the very beginning through the generator counter. So even though it isn't useful for any info on the killer's side, I think it is necessary to give the sense of progression for new killers.

I want to know what other people think of this. 

Comments

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

I can see it have a psychological benefit for the killer in the way survivors likely get relief from seeing the gen counter go down but ultimately, in my opinion, it serves no real purpose other than cluttering up the screen.

• tactic
    tactic Member Posts: 356
    Options

I didn’t really think of that but you’re right. When I first started I got really frustrated whenever a survivor was I hooked because it felt like losing progress.

Still though, it’s a bit pointless for us who do understand killer, maybe it should be toggle-able?

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

That would be fine and all but the complains come from killers getting near useless hook counter (even if it's designed for new killers) while survivors got very usefull hook stages widgets.

Killers just wanted to get the same information that was given to survivors. And the worst part is that the most likely reason why killers can't get the hook widgets is beacuse it MIGHT cause slightly more tunneling.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

If that's true, it gives a false sense of progression. Progression or how it's messured, PIPs, isn't determined on the survivor's hook stages but on how many hooks the killer gets in a match. Regardless if a survivor is hooked three times or kills themselves on first hook the hook counter result is the same three points.

Outside of new players it is a worthless widget taking up valuable screen real estate.

• Spacehedgehog
    Spacehedgehog Member Posts: 44
    Options

I understand where you are coming from with the pips but the developers have said it before that the pip system is basically broken and shouldn't be the way you measure your success. Since the devs have not given us any win condition yet for the game I think that for new killers the counter could be used as a win condition helping them have a meaning of purpose.

• Spacehedgehog
    Options

Yes for advanced killers the counter is basically useless and yes it should be toggleable but the devs have said before that they do not plan to add UI and HUD customisation even though it would be amazing for them to do it. So I feel like it is necessary to grip on the literal only positives of the UI changes.

• Spacehedgehog
    Options

At lower levels tunnelling and camping is a massive problems and it is normally just a death sentence for the survivor. I feel like if the widgets were there are lower levels there would be a lot more tunnelling it wouldn't just be a small amount. I would agree for it to be togglable so that veteran killers don't have the screen clutter but the devs have already said that they do not plan to do that. Honestly we know the devs don't want to add the survivor hook widgets to killer so might as well just start counting the hooks yourself.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    edited February 2021
    Options

I like the hook counter, but I don't think it goes far enough. If someone goes to stage 2 or dies on hook, it adds additional marks on the hook counter. This is good for knowing how many hooks are needed on the rest of the survivors, but doesn't allow you to keep up with your number of hook actions. My suggestion? Make a mark created by a hook action in blue. That way the bar will show both types of info

• Spacehedgehog
    Options

You mean like blue when the survivor doesn't get unhooked and moves on the the next stage and then red for when you hook the survivor? I feel like that would be either too complicated to explain and get useful info from and honestly if they have time to change that they might as well just add the hook counter that the survivors have.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Jyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515
    Options

It's definitely been helpful during Killer Rift challenges, I'll give you that.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    Options

I still maintain that there isnt a good reason killers don't get the same hook info as survivors. It really wouldn't change tunneling at all since that's been the main excuse why killers don't have it. Some killers tunneled before any info and those same ones are doing it now and would still do it with the info changed. Not having that info isn't skill based at all and just an annoyance

• Spacehedgehog
    Options

Yes previous killers will tunnel if they already tunnel but when a new killer joins and they meet a lovely swf that have all de ranked with ds and object of obsession they might see the hook counter and go for the person with the most hooks to get them out of the game that behaviour then gets transferred to other games and we have a new tunnelling killer. We know that the devs won't ever allow the same hook info for killers and survivors so killers might as well start counting the hook stages in your head.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited February 2021
    Options

It is pretty annoying, imagine if survivors were not told how many gens were done because they didn't want them focusing their objective too hard xD

"But being tunneled is unfun and we don't want to promote it" if someone is going to tunnel they are going to do it anyways. I mean remembering one person and just going after them is not that hard. You can't tunnel multiple people at once, or you are not tunneling.

All seeing how many times everyone was hooked would do is tell you what target you should prioritize if you run into both of them.

So honestly what it feels like the devs are saying is not "We don't want you to tunnel" it's "We actually don't want you to know what survivors you can kill" which seems silly imo.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

The way I see it, the sense of progression for me does not come from how many pips are on that little wheel but rather from seeing the first skull icon on the HUD.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

I find it pointless and potentially demoralizing.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    edited February 2021
    Options

In swf groups, especially those with perks like object of obsession killers really should tunnel. Some perks should not be allowed on swf games honestly since perks like OoO make it so that the entire team knows where you are. Tunneling sucks and is very annoying but it only makes sense to wreck teams who are cheating essentially (since the game itself isn't intended to have group chat).

It makes sense to want to and use group chat with friends but how some perks work they just aren't meant to be used that way

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Options

Its hard to explain what it would look like. Like, the inverse color works too, but there would be one color to represent hook actions and one to represent hook states but I don't know how to describe it better. I'll have to make some concept art or something