Why are people so pissed with the new ui and animations?

Babawizwiz
Babawizwiz Member Posts: 347
edited February 2021 in General Discussions

3-4 hrs in playing new dbd and i already got used to both ui and animation, sure the status effect timers are way too small and survivors standing up straight seems kinda off, but its not something thats worth bitching and making countless videos on.

Yes hitboxes/ vsync got way worse with this patch, the game is now god pallet simulator, but everything else is good

Comments

• MrsMyers
    MrsMyers Member Posts: 30

You can’t contradict the opinion of the majority

• CheyeneKL
    CheyeneKL Member Posts: 723

I honestly don't really care that much about the UI. I heavily dislike the character portraits and the status bar changes but the rest of it is whatever to me, even if I do 100% prefer the old UI.

For the status bars, it's quite a bit more difficult to tell when someone is close to second hook, dying on hook, or bleeding out. I also dislike that they took away the ability to know when someone was picked up (bar used to flash a red line around it) but I get that it is possibly intended as a killer buff (I used to run around on Hag traps as soon as I knew she was picking someone up, even with Knockout LMAO)

The animations, I'd also be fine with. But as someone who doesn't even 360, I dislike how difficult it feels to even attempt a juke. With how desynced every killer hit is at the moment, though, I don't think the community has even gotten a chance to accurately judge whether the new animations affect gameplay that much. I 100% guarantee that everyone in the community will get used to and be fine with all of the new animations if they figure out that they can still do some of the old movement options. But making the killer miss out of tricky movement used to be a HUGE part of the game and the fact that it seems to be completely gone is not being taken well.

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183

New UI is lazy and unthougthful (like, do you really really need anything written at the top?), bad placement for some things, they didn't touched perks in any way, which makes them look completely out of place.

New animations are as well lazy and unpolished. They are janky, they don't really fit characters or the whole context (they look like they are jogging), they lowered skill ceiling for survivors, making it impossible to 360, or just look at the hatch escape animation when downed? It's just bad... or even better, an animation of escaping with a key... this animation is missing.

When it comes to map reworks... well game is just bad, breakable walls are so bad there and pallets... they feel like they put spawnable spots, but forgot to not make all pallets spawn (not to mention almost all pallets are safe and non mindgameable)

And well, a new tile (greenhouse looks nice), there is just one problem... there is no ######### collision.

And on top of that there is a new skin of demo... i can't even say what it is without getting banned...

So it's not only that the changes are bad, the more important thing, at least in my opinion, is that they are changing stuff for worse, instead of gametesting literally anything. Like really, if they tested anything, they would notice that something is wrong with new changes and it breaks hit perspective, but instead they are like: should we test stuff? Nah, we have PTB. Should we fix stuff from PTB? Nah, we can do it, while its live.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

Getting used to it isn't the problem. Its the fact it is a change that is worse then the old UI, and the new animations just look very bad.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

People aren't necessarily so mad at the devs for the wonky animations or the weird UI, but the fact that there was plenty of feedback from the PTB saying that they either preferred the older animations or UI or that the new animations and UI weren't exactly an improvement and yet they still decided to go against all this feedback and changed it anyways.

That said, I kind of agree with you. The UI is a bit all over the place but I'd say it's easthetically more pleasing and while the animations are a bit strange, it's not the end of the world. It takes some getting used to, but that doesn't mean that all these people that are raising their voices against the devs are wrong. They're not. People gave their feedback and the devs ignored it, so they are concerned with the devs choices.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

For me It gives migraine, when I want to learn something from portairts or if the perks activated. The placement of the Ul is terrible and disgusting. It looks also like a discord which it doesn't fit Dbd at all.

• lambdabr
    lambdabr Member Posts: 19

Old UI: Everything thats useful in the same spot. Information was very clear and a quick glance gave you everything you needed.

New UI: You have to look at the whole screen for information. Plus, no one asked for it.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

Did you not watch any videos or read any posts people made about their grievances? They're incredibly easy to find.

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

There are several problems with what happened:

1) The old UI wasn’t broken. If they did a little make-over to make it look more polished, people would have been happier. The fact that they attempted to rework it when there wasn’t an issue with the current layout made people question BHVR’s judgement.

2) A vast majority of the community did not like the new UI. BHVR said they’ll look into it but come live and nothing really changed. The community was ignored or/and BHVR did the bare minimum to say they took our opinions into account without having to dedicate any more time.

3) They attempted to shut down the voice of the community. Any post regarding the new UI was either ignored, locked or replied with the ridiculous lie, “We can’t bring back the old UI”. This showed BHVR didn’t care and wanted to move on to other objectives. They hoped the fuss would die down and people would get used to the new UI. Only problem was, the new UI was that bad and the patch is come with was so broken, the community was never going to leave this quietly.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

Why repairing something, that wasn't broken? It's not like, the game has other issues that got 10 threads every day. But they don't do anyhting about it other it takes them months.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

I think this is what's going to sort of kill DBD. The fact that they still went through with the UI even after the massive amount of negative feedback is just frustrating as a player. Also I call BS on somehow not being able to revert the UI, it would fix most of this mess.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

1. Most people think they look like garbage.

2. We said in the ptb that we didn't want these changes and they ignored us.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

I hate it because now we cant have costume icons. Its like devs thru a tantrum that we liked other artist work and not theirs and now they are forcing it on us

• bluedusef
    bluedusef Member Posts: 288

Well it is when its a downgrade. sure you got used to the downgrade already, good for you, but sorry for trying to make the game better, i guess we should never complain about anything again.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

The UI is demonstrably worse. It's detestable. Especially as Doctor. I cannot tell madness tiers anymore.

The animations are more defensible. I think they're alright mostly. Survivors need to be able to spin and juke more reliably though.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I genuinely get eye strain from the new HUD, first its too small and too dark, I have very poor eyesight and it forces my eyes too much also the info is scattered around the screen, now to obtain the same amount of info I have to move my eyes more times than I needed before and to top it all, nobody asked for an UI change, the game has enough issues for them to tackle one of the few things that didnt have bugs or complains.

The animations some are good (crouching and downed) some are decent (running) and some dont look natural (standing still and hurt) and like with the HUD, not many people asked for new animations.

Add to the mix the PTR feedback was extremely negative, especially about the HUD and they just ignored it, people have a right to be angry when they are asked to try something and give an honest opinion only to see their opinion fall in deaf ears, especially when there was an overwhelming consesus.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

I love the animations, I love the updated FPS, they look smooth as hell. The clarity of the UI, it's really good. I like a lot of the concepts they've added to the HUD, it's what a lot of people have been suggesting over the years and it provides a lot of QoL to a game where sometimes you focus too hard on one thing and don't realize a teammate is on final hook.

What I don't like is the placement of everything, and the size. Prior to the game updating, you had two locations for all of your HUD stuff. Bottom left corner and bottom right corner for both survivor and killer. On the left corner and up the left side just a little bit, you had teammate/player health status, generators and items, and point progression, On the bottom right corner and up the side just a little bit, you had perks, buffs, and debuffs. And all of this was fairly large. Not large enough to be obstructive, but large enough to be able to glance and tell immediately.

The current HUD has all survivors in the top left corner. Generators are in the top center. Point progress is in the top right corner. Perks are on the bottom right corner, debuffs are on the right center, and items are on the bottom left. We went from potentially 2.5 places to glance at the screen to 5 places to glance at, that are all over the screen. Everything is too separated. Maybe they were thinking it would be easier to see, but honestly it's just too much information spread out across the screen.

Nearly every game I play shows information in one or two places, and if there's more, they're usually closely connected to the information bar, no more than an inch away. When they changed the HUD layout, I'm sure they were thinking it would provide more clarity, but in all honesty it just makes things confusing. And the top right corner for me personally is the worst place to put point progression on. I watch videos of people playing the game and I don't even see the points they get. Like that's how out of the way they put that piece of information. It's so small and far away from everything else that it might as well be twelve blocks down the road.

• smart212
    smart212 Member Posts: 136

because new HUD is really tiring. since you are a pc player or console. Your eyes will quickly tired, you must round your eyes to the up to see remaining generator, and then rolling to the left to see how many time survivor been hook and the to the bottom again to see hook. Even the perk that they used is located on the edge of the right of the screen. It's really uncomfortable to play like that.

Are they hiring a good UI/UX engineer and tested the new HUD with a proper game tester ?

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

The changes themselves aren't the only issue. The fact that nearly the entire community was against it and they did it anyway is sticking in people's craws. Add to that the reports of the changes making people physically sick. You can kinda see why people are angry.

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462

New better UI would not be a problem to me. Thing is -- this new ui is much worse. Animations... when injured survivor is running it seams like they have pooped in their pants... or worse... like someone else had pooped in their pants. I just cannot think about anything else when I see it.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

Because the new UI is just bad, or inefficient. New smoother and updated animations sounded nice, but they just look weird atm. The UI literally did not need to be changed and the new animations just need some work.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

I feel the same way. Its very immersion breaking to see something so ridiculous. I get an urge to play and then think or see the new animations and I just can't.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

I am glad you got used to the UI, but how long did it take you to get used to it? how many games? and did it cause you physical discomfort or out right pain at any point? I am not saying you are wrong as everyone's mileage will vary that is true, but for me when it causes such a head ache that i can only play 2 or 3 matches as killer before I can't play anymore there is a problem. Also that problem was not there before the match as I could play 6+ hours straight on either side if I wanted without a problem. lastnight was my third time playing killer and i had to lean in so close so as to make my HEAD move to look at the UI and even then I lost survivors because of that. For some it is rough. with the UI spread out and no way to alter it ourselves and the fact they will not revert back to a previous state for it while FIXING it so that their whole player base would not have an issue, makes me wonder.

I truly AM glad you have no issues anymore but where the UI is concerned, you will find that most games with a UI that is fixed will centralize ALL the UI information rather than put it ALL over the screen unless they make it movable so you can put things right where you want them.

• polak12123
    polak12123 Member Posts: 7

it legit looks like a mobile game all that it needs now is some pop up ads and its complete.

and the movement are u fr? they look like their puppets hanging on strings or like they need to go to the bathroom

it just looks very unfinished and unrealistic