The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Died on First Hook on Purpose Stories

People may frown on it but I’ve done it a few times in some messed up cases. Like if everyone is already injured or downed and no gens are done I know it’s a lost cause or if my teammates are being extremely dumb or outright jerks. Had a few teammates before lead the killer right to me to lose him and then he downs me and hooks me. I’m usually done after that. I’m not helping someone who pulls those kind of stunts in a match. You can all burn by the entity for all I care. What is some of your stories of why you died on purpose on first hook?

Comments

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited February 2021

I'll be doingt hat every time I see deathslinger or huntress at least now. funny thing about ghostface though is that his hitboxes do not seem broken, but, I only had one match against him so far and come tot hink he might not even have hit me in it so I would need a match against another one to get a feel.

Edit: I remember one ghostface before that one now, and actually, his hits didn't feel as bs as other kilelrs for some reason. The first ghostface tonight did kill me though he was a lot betetr at finding me and since I'd been gone a while I kept accidentally exposing him I thinkt hey may have changed the radius on his exposure intentionally or unintentionally since even briefly on part of the screen it was happening in split seconds witht he exposed sound and shimmer.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

I never do it, unless it’s down to the last 2 survivors and there is no hope and I want the last guy to get hatch.

The only time I have killed myself or DCd anytime recently is from sandbagging, which tilts me more than any killer ever can.

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516

I also stop caring about a match when it’s a doctor and the map is super small. Just had a match in the swamp and the doctors shock radius pretty much covered the entire map. I was done.

• Animal_Mother
    Animal_Mother Member Posts: 149

What's equally as annoying is when the killer is getting owned and quits, prevents you from pipping, and takes your offering/addons.

• Dragonshensi
  • Playing Deathslinger kinda sucks atm, huntress is total BS though.

Deathslinger both sides get shafted by the hitboxes a lot right now.

• Dragonshensi

I just got downed by the huntress through a window and I was way away from the window and she still got me.

• PGJSF
    PGJSF Member Posts: 369

If it’s 2+ minutes since the trial started, I get hooked and I see no gens done and other survivors running/crouchin/walking around without doing totems or gens, I’ll do it 100% of the times.

Happens more often than you’d think of.

• Dragonshensi

Same here. I’m just about so done with this game honestly. The new update has made everything even worse. Now I just said screw it and my last few games I’ve been running around trying to get the killer on me and being goofy.

• PGJSF
    PGJSF Member Posts: 369

Never played survivor a lot, but when I do I pretend my teammates act as efficiently as the survivors I face when I’m killer. If they don’t, I’ll just die and find another match.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited February 2021

For some reason the matches i most want to suicide on most are the ones i most often escape

like i have literally got hooked back to back from the start and then after that i last all the way until end game and have done 2-3 gens. This has been pretty common too since i have started getting the power moves achievement.

• animalmak
    animalmak Member Posts: 399

My friends and I did it one time because we were playing a Ghostface who was stealth basement camping. He got two people down there and hung out, so I (stupidly lol but I didn't realize) went to rescue and also got caught down there. Last person escaped through hatch because it wasn't like we were escaping the basement anyway if he was just going to stealth upstairs and wait for us to get unhooked. We just didn't feel like stayng in that match longer than necessary and were fine with the depip because it would have happened regardless.

• Dragonshensi

I had that happen with a spirit. She camped the basement and started hooking everyone. I managed a wicked save on two people there after she finally left for a second to get someone running. Eventually though she got everyone and I bled out. I wasn’t going to let her hook me and made her work to find me. Luckily she never did.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 623

When you get smacked by Freddy and your HUD looks like the dashboard of a car starting up with the addons, perks, and status effects. Have fun guys I'mma head out.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

A long time ago I was having a really rough day. Had been playing without any items for the longest time so I brought literally just a basic brown medkit and was the only person that brought anything.. got Franklin’s demise smacked then downed 15 feet away from the window post fast vault at shack and basement hooked.. long story short I clearly needed a break and took it. Dbd wasn’t a good idea.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,735

If its a Ghostface I have to, for the sake of my own mental health.

• Dragonshensi

I also have a rule that if I spawn next to the killer or nearby and get hit in the first five seconds of the match I just give up and let him take me. I’m not playing that match at that point and sadly since this update either me or a teammate is hit in the first few seconds of the match.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

If its my teammates fault I get hooked and they make no effort to save me as well as anyone else's ill let myself die. Mistakes happen but at least try to help resolve your mistake.

Similarly, I had a teammate and I remaining and he blatantly refused to unhook me because he found the hatch. I was on my first hook and moved to second hook and I saw the killer going towards him. My teammates was motioning for me to let myself die but I was committed to staying until killer got him. Killer downed him and hooked him then I left myself die. Sweet justice

• Dragonshensi

Lol I do the same thing. I try to stay on as long as possible when coward teammates pull that stuff. The minute these cowards find the hatch they stop doing gens or just helping in general. Though they mostly hide throughout the whole match anyway till everyone else does their job for them. I want them to die with me.

• KlapzCheeks
    KlapzCheeks Member Posts: 171

Was playing against a Freddy who tunneled and camped. The first tunnel DCed and he facecamped the next person. I went in for the save got downed but saved them then hooked and camped. I killed myself on hook then got a message from the Freddy. Theres no use in staying in a game where the killer tunneled someone to DC and your camping. So ######### on hook and make sure they depip just like you.

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

I’m new so I’ve only done it once when I was first hooked and my team were on the other side of the map healing each other then heading to gens. I’m cursed in this game though. 100% the time the killer will come directly to ,y gem at the start of the match lol. It’s actually insane.

• Dragonshensi

what did the what did the Freddy say to you? EZ win I bet lol

• KlapzCheeks
    KlapzCheeks Member Posts: 171

Something along those lines, like a potato could play like that and win.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Honestly if you quit or ######### on first hook because you go down fast, dont like the killer or have a survivor accidentally lead them to you in a chase then please stop playing, its honestly annoying to wait in queues just for some loser to rage quit, you won't get better if you dont try and stick at it, all you do is ruin the game not to mention its kind pathetic to suicide on hook within the first min or at any point in the game

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

There are definitely times intentionally dying on the first hook is a crappy thing to do to the rest of the team. However, the argument that you are always under some obligation to stick around no matter what is flawed.

As a survivor I have one goal. That goal is to escape. If my team isn't working on objectives in an attempt to escape do they have an obligatioin to change how they play to accomodate my goal? Of course not. At the same time if they have no obligation to help me with my goal I have zero obligation to stick around to help them with their goal. If members of my team are intentionally throwing each other under the bus (sometimes it's obvious that's what's happening) do they feel an obligation to be a good team member? Obviously not. So why should I feel an obligation to stick around and be a good team member to them?

The bottom line is intentionally dying on the first hook is not against the rules regardless of the reason. So you can do it for any reason you want to do it. That doesn't mean there aren't times it's a jerk move. Neither does it mean it's always a bad thing.

• GoodBoyKaru

If I'm being perfectly honest I don't care about the game when my own mental health is on the line, so in the nicest possible way no, I don't think I will.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

"Had a few teammates before lead the killer right to me to lose him and then he downs me and hooks me"

how do you know it was on purpose? it's way more likely they simply were running towards the next loop and you were there.

on topic, I almost never suicide on hook. and when I do, it's to give someone hatch.

and if they make no effort towards saving me, I stay on hook as long as possible.

to me, playing the current match > going to the lobby and queueing to the next one

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

I'll do it against iri huntress or slowdown Freddy but only if someone else has already, I don't wanna be the first to throw. So when someone else gets hooked I'm like "c'mon do it, set me free"

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

When I got downed quickly by a Huntress with an Iri Hatchet and an Ebony Mori. (Keep in mind, this was before Mori's were changed. So I was dying anyway). Though I did this once, and... managed to escape. (Only to die shortly after). Actually have escaped against one before, though. Iri Hatchet + Ebony Mori, but I didn't know they had an iri hatchet until the end because they weren't good at huntress at all. I didn't realize they had iri hatchet until they hit me at the exit gate. I still got out though, as did my team.

• dodgeduckdipdive
    dodgeduckdipdive Member Posts: 14

I do this almost every game if I get hooked, which isnt super often. I either hook escape or get rescued before I can finish doing my 3 hook pulls.

• EntitySpawn

If you have mental health just because of a certain killer type you should stop playing the game, why play something that can trigger seems kinda stupid, I'll just have to wait till the devs punish rage quitters, and yeah that applies if you suicide on first hook, some of us want to chill on games and have fun to take our minds of things, you rage quitters arent helping us unwind, just making life more difficult and stressful

• GoodBoyKaru

Now that, is tragic, and I'll be sure to notify someone who actually cares.

• EntitySpawn

See you couldn't even care about others so why should anyone care for you. If you need to be pathetic and quit you do you, just shows how much of a child. If you need to be babied because of certain killers or you get out played and you get so upset over it then you need to look at yourself mate, treat how you want to be treated all you're doing is causing issues and I sure do hope devs punish rage quitters.

• I did it consistently a few days ago. All killers rank 1-3 with meta builds but the survivors were anywhere from ranks 10-20. Yeah no I want a fair game and I refuse to play this kind of garbage. So now matchmaking is busted I guess I sit out another update for a month and half until they maybe fix it.

Before you ask how I knew what rank they were in game it was obvious based on cosmetics, killers picked, perks and playstyles and post game it was always proven. It's unfair to give me the most meta sweatlord killers with thousands of hours but at the same time hand me survivors who only just installed the game. The developers should be ashamed.

• GoodBoyKaru

I never said anyone should care about me, nor did I say they need to accomodate me and never play Ghostface again. I don't suicide based on an outplay but, nice try hunny.

And correct, I do need to look at myself, so let me know when the pandemic's over because I was actually planning to get therapy before it all started! I'm glad you've noticed this fine detail my man, maybe you should be a detective with such a keen eye- though on second thought the fact you miss out "you are" in "shows how much of a child you are" means maybe you shouldn't.

Thanks for the entertainment, have a great day.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

I don't suicide on first hook very often. I did yesterday, when Charlotte hooked me in basement, and then went and blocked the stairs.

• Dragonshensi

I’ve only started killing myself on first hook when I get downed in this update. Cause it seems either i or one of my teammates get spawned near the killer cause the killer hits someone in less than five seconds of the match starting. I’m not playing that match cause we are basically already screwed

• Dragonshensi

Cause I was working on a gen and I had a clear view of the survivor and killer. The other survivor had a clear view of me and made a beeline to me. He could have easily lead him away but didn’t. He changed his course to come to me in hopes of me getting downed to save himself.

• skyguys
    skyguys Member Posts: 67

Luckily, I've never been in that situation. Either myself or my other teammate tries to save each other and push objectives. Once one of us gets caught on death hook, the other goes to the hatch and leaves.

• shelobster
    shelobster Member Posts: 272

I only hook suicide so someone can get the hatch or if the killer is a Spirit.

Spirit is just so bloody booooooring. Even Freddy is more interesting.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited February 2021

My first game of the new patch (a month after I'd last played, actually) was vs a ghostface, and it was broken. That said, they were VPNing from Japan to the UK, too, so hard to tell.

• EntitySpawn

Maybe you should try kindergarten if you want to act like a child so much. Just your replies shows you're being pathetic and quitting because it's a ghost face or whatever is stupid, either play the game or dont. Honestly devs should ban players like you. You need a full personality check mate, theres zero need for half of your response and no one should support rage quits.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670

Made up story by a jerk DC’r.

The killer downed me, and it was obviously unfair because I’m SOOOOO amazing, so I DC’d to screw everyone. Totally awesome right?

• Dragonshensi
  • mouse0270
    mouse0270 Member Posts: 849

I basically die on first hook for few reasons:

1. Killer is Doctor, not that he is hard to play, but he gives me a physical headache if I play against him to much... And This game isn't worth actual pain to play
    2. Killer is huntress with Iri Heads, once again, not that its hard, it just hurts me to the core of my soul to see it happen.
    3. I am playing solo and no survivor saves me before stage 2 and the killer isn't camping. If you a group of people don't make an effort to save me in 60 seconds then I really don't want to be playing with them.

Are these good reasons? nope... Do I care? nope...

• Dragonshensi

I don’t mind playing against huntress until recently. I can’t dodge her axes anymore. Had a match where I saw the axe fly by me, no where near me, and still got hit by it. How can I dodge something that I dodged and still got hit with?

• halfmanhalfape
    halfmanhalfape Member Posts: 153

The survivor emblems are broken atm and I deranked to purple ranks, and the teammates are really god awful.

I just suicided on first hook as I saw a Cheryl walking within 5m of my hook, forward, backwards, forward, backwards, while the killer was already off chasing someone else. Not to mention she is only 5m away from the hook, you might as well save at that point.

Get me out of this game right now!

• Dragonshensi

That’s one weird thing about this whole update. All the survivors know the game is ten times harder for them now. But instead of playing it stealth or smart they are being dumber than ever. I can’t tell you how many times I start the match with someone and they immediately start running and vaulting everywhere.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

LUL that probably makes the hits even worse right now, kind of funny