Any tips to get not angry?

Options
Mineguy
Mineguy Member Posts: 318
edited August 2022 in General Discussions

So I have a big problem with my anger. When one simple thing doesn't work the match is basically ruined for me and I want to improve that. Any tips to get not so easily tilted, angry or toxic?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

Well, Otz did a great video on it:

By in large I don't tell people not to get mad, because that is something that is hard to control. Use Otz's advice, and if you are still angry, channel it into something productive. I call it the difference between "hot" angry and "cold" angry. In short, let that fury go cold and patient, and channel it into resolve to achieve some end and payback your DbD tormentors as your Skills improve.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Try and remember that this game is kind of laden with BS that you literally cannot control. And if you can't control it, it isn't really your fault, especially if you played reasonably well.

I get annoyed when survivors second chance me to death or a killer facecamps-into-noed, but at the same time it's not like I can do a whole lot about it.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Probably best answer. I'd like it to be pinned, but luckily it's aready a first comment.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    Options

Just learn to let go and don't be attached to any outcomes.

Also remind yourself this is just a game losing is fine.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233
    Options

I get angry at the game too sometimes, iv played it since release lol however now it's just the one thing that can tilt me and I'm still far calmer. But what exactly is getting to you? Is it playing killer? Survivor? Certain things in those roles etc? As that will help to find a way around it, but in general try and see it as a joke or try focus on the positives that you have done... like oh I did a good chases, hit was bs but I still done a good run, at least I made progress on my challenge, it was a rough match but they was really good so I couldn't of done better etc.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    edited February 2021
    Options

Remember that you're playing a videogame for fun, and that the outcomes of the game have no impact whatsoever on your daily life. And if it stops becoming fun, it's time to stop playing that game because that's when the game has become an unhealthy addiction.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221
    Options

This has happened to everyone at one point or another, so it's understandable. I might've thrown a controller once or twice in the past..

If you're genuinely frustrated, just take a small break from the game and realize that when you feel better, you'll play better. Being tilted definitely leaves you at a huge disadvantage because instead of playing from strategy, you're playing from anger. Hop onto another game, make yourself a snack, exercise.. you see my point.

The sooner you start taking the game less-serious, the sooner you'll start to see your matches be more enjoyable. I'd recommend running meme-builds on either side just to goof around & have some lighthearted fun.

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

Just shut your brain off during the match, and just play. It can be difficult to not get angry, but once I finally just turned off my brain and played. I stopped getting mad. It can be hard esp if you get dumb teammates or toxic survivors when playing killer. But after a while it becomes a normal occurrence.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

Don't get angry, get even. There are plenty of matches to play after whatever is triggering you and plenty of perks and items to help you exact your revenge.

On a lighter note, killer or survivor also will have this mindset and this frustration so keeping that in mind, try to find the path of least resistance.

• Judderman77
    Judderman77 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2021
    Options

Play for fun and to pass time. Don't play to win.

For survivor you could use Ace with a fun build gifting teammates with things you find. For killer get your 4 BBQ stack then go easy, chase, hit and run. Loads of fun.

• Gay_Police_Dept
    Gay_Police_Dept Member Posts: 743
    Options

Try having worse problems, that might help you realize it's just dumb to get mad at video games.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

This is something I hope we all are working on as humans. I recommend playing both sides, so you can have empathy and understanding of certain tactics and why they may have been used in that moment.

Try to come up with a definition of a win that you can live with. If it is only 4ks, you are bound to be disappointed from time to time. Remembering that these are humans you are verseing may help you not be so tilted.

I also recommend yoga and meditation in your life. It does help balance you, even just 10 minutes a day.

Lastly remember, you are a unique person that has tremendous value in this world. So are your competitors. Relax, breathe, try your best and have fun. It is always the journey, not the destination.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

Watch funny #########, I usually tend to do so

• tomas11403
    tomas11403 Member Posts: 121
    Options

A few things I find that help.

1) Play for a few thousand hours, you'll stop caring as much ;)

2) When something goes wrong, don't just look to blame other things (Hitboxes, teammates, etc.). Look first to ask what you could have done better yourself. Yea, you got 4 outed as perkless Wraith on Haddonfield, it's gonna happen. Does that mean you could not have won? Maybe. But, it doesn't mean that you couldn't have lost by less, and there were things you could improve on, such as decision making and mindgames. Always look for ways that you could have improved, not just flaws in things outside of your control.

3) Stop caring. I know it sounds dumb, but it helps a lot. When you see a baby Dwight in the basement, and two Claudette's self caring in the corner while you're on hook, that is something which I now find funny and adorable rather than frusturating. Accepting that some things are out of your control will allow you to not be as bothered by them, and maybe even find them funny.

4) Take breaks. Play another game, or just the other role (killer/survivor)

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

As someone who has gotten very tilted at this game before the best thing you can do is figure out why you lost.

Was it the map? Maybe they got a great setup on cowshed that you’re poor wraith couldn’t counter.

Was it the survivors? We’re they just really good or we’re they really coordinated?

who were you playing? Were you learning a new killer or were you just having a bad day?

These all help me keep my cool

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670
    Options

If you view each match as a learning experience, and each failure as a stepping stone to more skill, each match as a tiny improvement over the last, (no matter how bad you or your team plays) just find one thing to improve slightly, then, over time, you will be better.

Kudos for looking to grow personally.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited February 2021
    Options

Always keep in mind that this game is just that, a game. It's not important in your life, and when things don't go right it has absolutely no consequences. The whole point is having fun, if you feel you're not having fun it's ok to stop playing, don't try again in the hope of a good match.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,528
    Options

I think remembering that it is just a game is always a good start. Whether you win or lose a match, it won't change your life basically.

It's easy to say not to get angry though, not a lot angers me and I'm incredibly patient...but others less so. I guess figure out what exact issues make you angry and look at it from there, what is it achieving by you getting angry etc? Probably nothing, you're just upsetting yourself in the long run.

Anger issues though can be difficult beasts to control, there's lots of online assistance for this, if it's a more general problem in your life.

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,525
    Options

Alt+Tab, go to Youtube and watch something fun for 5mins. Resize your Browser window so that you can see how many gens are remaining and open a door if they want to hang around.

As @tomas11403 said, having a lot of hours in the bank makes you very zen about it all!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2021
    Options

Its all the crutches and toxic squads that bug me. I tend to play like an ass for a few games and it helps me cool off. Facecamp bubba for example. You no longer care about winning or losing.

You would be surprised how many toxic squads you come across, the ones that bring OoO and a map offering and the flashlights. They want to play just to ruin the game for other people and to make them dc and when these squads end up disconnecting instead if feels sooooo good. Like I'm doing a service for every other killer out there by punishing these fools.

After you cool off or get bored go back to normal games.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,429
    Options

Play Nurse or Spirit.

• dummer33344
    dummer33344 Member Posts: 131
    Options

That's why I always take lightborn, whenever someone tries to flashlight me, I just start laughing

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

I have some bad anger issues myself and they used to flare up a ton when I played video games. Here's some tips that I use to make sure I don't freak out or get upset.

1. If you find yourself getting mad, look away. Simply seeing something other than the game can help calm you down.

2. Try to get in a more relaxed mindset. The game is just a game, and you need to remember that. You are facing real people, yes, but the stakes are low. If you lose, you don't get a pip. If you win, you get a pip.

3. If someone is intentionally trying to anger you, they are either trying to piss you off for their own enjoyment or because they think it will help them win. Keeping a level head foils their plan AND it will help you play better. What I try to do is imagine that they are inviting me to a friendly challenge. Hold your pride and make a tactical decision, not an emotional one.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890
    Options

This is a great question, and something I struggled with for a while. What helped me were a few different things:

1. If you're finding you're taking things too seriously, play with some perks you never use. That way, if things aren't going the way you expect, it's easier to understand why, and you're also gathering experience with perks you might enjoy later down the road
    2. As an aside to number 1, go completely perkless! Sounds terrible, right? But it's reverse-psychology in a way. When you do great, you can really be proud of your skill without perks. When you die or encounter stupid mistakes, it makes you less angry because you know you're playing with a handicap most people wouldn't do
    3. Force yourself to laugh at some of the absurdities. Yes, they can be tilting and nonsensical. But the randomness of this game is also part of what we enjoy about it. Forced laughter might make you actually start genuinely laughing at it, and that'll help you release tension in your body from anger
  • tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,087
    edited February 2021
    Options

I may need to bookmark this page and come back after every few matches as a refresher...

I have the same major issues with anger (frustration mainly triggers it and this game is a lot of things but FRUSTRATION is probably the best way to describe it).

I have broken so much ######### throwing my little temper tantrums and hurt myself in some cases that quitting would almost certainly be my best option. But again, I'm dum so shrug

I'm a 35 year old man FFS, I shouldn't be getting this cranky about some stupid video game yet here we are...

• KDawg
    KDawg Member Posts: 29
    Options

I would get pretty upset when I got hit as survivor when I didn't think it would connect, or when the killer would seemingly appear out of nowhere. I actually found a screen recording program that had a replay buffer (I'd hit a button and it would record the last 30 sec of gameplay or whatever). Whenever I got angry at something like that, I'd hit to record right after it happened and watch the clip after the match. A lot of the time, I saw things I missed in-game ("Oh... Yeah I guess that hit made sense", or "Oh crap I didn't see the killer turn right there. That's how they appeared there", etc.). Didn't help when I got tunneled or saw a hit that didn't make sense to me, but definitely helped with a good chunk of times

• GraveHunter
    GraveHunter Member Posts: 328
    Options

For killer, I just try to play to get points and nothing more. If I get kills, I'm fine with that. If not, it's okay too. If I get 4 stacks of BBQ, that's a win for me, since I basicly doubled my BP gains from then.

Of course I still get tilted sometimes, especially when i'm chasing a survivor and 3 gens pop right after eachother. For some reason that gets me 75% of the time, because that makes you feel hopeless when it's just the start of the game (like 2-3 minutes in and you already lost 3 gens). But most of the time I still manage to get at least 3 or 4 stacks by the end on my BBQ.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Music helps me remain less angry. Sure, I could get annoyed at dbd but How You Like That just started playing and whilst I'm being facecamped it means I don't need hands on my keyboard doing things so I can just vibe. In tears.

When I'm already angry I just punch things. The wall, the desk, the chair, a pillow I've had to have placed near me specifically for this issue because my family are worried for eveyrone's health, just punch something hard that won't hurt and it calms me down really quick.

Not the best but, it is what it is. Especially with 4.5.0 existing and 4.5.1 making the desync worse.

• En3ermost
    En3ermost Member Posts: 298
    edited February 2021
    Options

As someone who struggles with anger management problems, the best advise is probably to just stop playing when you get angry for the first time. Finish the match and don't start another one because if you get angry again a second time it will be even worse than the first. Or just don't play this game altogether.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but at least that's what I did, and now I'm back after a 3 years break lol.

This discussion has been closed.