Unpopular opinion: The pip bug is a good thing

gendoss
gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

We've all wanted a revision to rank in a way that would better match people of a similar skill and I think this is a good thing to tide us over until MMR comes out.

After we've had it for a week or so i'm a few pips into rank 2 and I think it's settled to the point to where i'm getting better teammates. A lot of people who were once red rank are now green and purple and it's helping me because I am finally getting people who actually deserve in red rank.

I'm not trying to offend or insult anybody who is in green/purple but this is definitely showing what ranks people should actually be in now.

This isn't perfect however, and there are some downsides I have noticed. People in lower ranks who were in red are now getting matched with the actual lower ranks and it's making much harder to rank up. I'm also constantly getting matched with purples and that may be because there just aren't enough reds to be matched up with especially because there aren't a ton of survivors now.

As I don't think this is perfect it is much better than the previous system and I hope MMR will be much better but I just wanted to make the point on how I actually like this bug.

Comments

• selflessnea
    selflessnea Member Posts: 565

Honestly the only reason I've even noticed the pip bug is due to the fact that it is just taking a bit longer to climb to rank 1. ( I also started at rank 9 because I hadn't played since the previous tome) but I have noticed when ques are decent the survivors/killers i am paired with are much more deserving of the red rank compared to before.

Popular unpopular opinion: if they don't fix it the only people who are going to be mad are the ones who care to get to rank 1 for the achievement

• gendoss

I somewhat disagree. I haven't really seen any green ranks that have done that spectacular and my red rank teammates have been better in general. Yes it's harder to pip up and that's why I like it. I don't think it's fantastic but I feel it's better than what we had.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,375

The only bad thing is that against killers like Huntress and Twins who are hard to build up good chaser emblem against it becomes really hard to safety pip without escaping.

• gendoss

Idk all of my games are in solo Q and I'm almost rank 1.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

I think this one specifically is the visual bug they were talking about.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219
    edited February 2021

And why not? doing all objectives like save unhooks, gens, but not going into a chase (but still wasting the killers time, because he is searching around that gen you´ve been working on) should be punished because you dont like it?

Let me guess: Spirit has no counterplay?

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571

It would be two-fold. It feels awful when your teammates refuse to do much because they're terrified of being chased, so while the killer isn't trying to tunnel, you're the only one they can find (I've been on both ends of this, as the killer and the survivor).

And as killer it's incredibly boring when most of your match is spent looking for people rather than chasing.

Of course, this change would probably need a harsher pip system for killers that tunnel as well since survivor pips would be more dependent upon the killer not just running one guy down most of the game (there's already some anti-camp in the emblem system, hence why I don't mention it).

I think the game is more fun for both sides when a lot of chases are happening.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I've seen this! A friend of mine has this right now and they have to double pip to regular pip, he's a really good survivor honestly probably one of the better ones I know and he's been depipping alot because of this, id even say he's a better survivor than I am and I'm at rank 2 at the moment and he's all the way to 8 now but he can be on top the scoreboard and still depip somehow even doing everything that should be a guarantee rank up he had a perfect game yesterday and still deranked. He loves it but honestly if it's a deal happening all over you're gonna see alot of newbies leave the game because they're getting bullied by rank 1s who don't belong in those lower ranks.

• Kaana
    Kaana Member Posts: 50

I think the only reason why I can't agree to this is because at red ranks all I'm getting is teammates that die within the first 2 minutes of the match either by killing themselves on hook or dcing lol. Otherwise I do quite like this grind to get back to rank 1, feels more satisfactory when I do rise a rank. Besides the matches where I'll get like 28k and just barely safety, those are slightly annoying and confusing. Like got 8k in Objective one game, bronze emblem. Got 3.4k Objective points in the next game and got Iridescent emblem, like what is this lol

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Escapes mean nothing, to be perfectly honest.it makes no sense that a solo player that did everything well gets nothing while a basic, chatty SWF that was barely paying attention all pip.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

The pip bug is terrible.

I took a break from the game last month because the undying nerf was coming, and I was ready for it. So I deranked pretty far. Now, I'm in the Green Ranks, and matches go one of five ways:

#1: The Match never even starts, and I lose a pip because the game decided I should lose a pip for the match not loading. That's fun.

#2: I run the killer for 2+ minutes and get camped and/or tunneled because the killer is mad at me for lasting in a chase.

#3: I run the killer for 2+ minutes and my teammates just don't bother to save me. Or worse: They save me with the killer right next to me. Without Borrowed Time. Yep....

#4: I run the killer for 2+ minutes and my teammates don't last 10 seconds in chase against a Huntress who can't hit the broadside of a barn. Then get killed because I can't do 5 gens on my own or while being chased by the killer or unhooking my teammates (who all get downed in short time of each other)

#5: I actually escape because I finally get teammates that, like me, are in a rank they probably don't belong and actually can last in a chase and know how to save. But it's ultimately either an easy game against a low rank killer, or a higher rank killer that we do well against and is actually a fun match.

I get terrible teammates because I didn't play last month, and now can't rank up because matches either don't load and derank me, or I get no survival points because I can't escape while being camped or the killer slugs for the 4K after pretty much wiping the floor with the rest of my team.

• vector
    vector Member Posts: 227
    edited February 2021

what bug? since the last rank reset I was most of time rank 1 today several games ago became rank 2

is it applied to killers? what does the bug do?

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Playing solo que, I have only seen beneficial results from the bug.

• Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696

This is stupid.

If you aren't getting into a chase, 99% of the time you are not doing generators or saving nor wasting the Killer's time.

Your teamates are the ones doing all the work just so you can walk out the exit gate and get your precious pip (Rank means nothing FYI).

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,199

The pip bug should be fixed, but the difficulty in getting to rank 1 shouldn't be. Getting to red ranks is very doable and a lot easier with SWF. I would like the rank 1 status to only apply to survivors that reached it via solo queue only, then limit SWF rank to 4 or 3.

Something similar can be done with killer ranks too so that yeah, there are red ranks, but then there's rank 1 with a crown and bloody gems surrounding it.

Then link it the account to our forum account so we can prove our rank oneness.

• gendoss
    edited February 2021

No.. the point of this point is to show that the ranking system without the bug didn't represent skill. But this bug actually represents it more.

• Moonman157
    Moonman157 Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2021

I disagree that it is a true indication of skill. But having said that, I've noticed a lot less useless urban evaders and hook bombers in my games. Unless I go against an amazing killer or someone ######### up big time, most of my games have had at least two survivors escaping, everyone is playing super efficient.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510

1) I am surprised you are getting matched with enough reds to notice a difference. I still get all colors of the rainbow.

2) I'm doing okay even with the bug as survivor - but to make it even where is the killer de-pip bug?

• jrinkwater
    jrinkwater Member Posts: 314

It's not a good thing because it's something that is bugged and broken. You aren't playing with people that "deserver their rank" now. Because there are far too many players reporting not being able to pip unless they DOUBLE pip or only IF they escape. Which is not a good metric of skill. It's not showing what ranks people SHOULD be in because there are many players who are not having a pip problem. It's actually led to a lot of players in red ranks to simply stop playing because of the consistency of the system (I am speaking for those that care about pips/maintaining rank).

It's very odd that you would call this a "better" system when people are not being rewarded for their efforts. For example, you could do 4 gens / max alturism / max chase / and save a guy from the hook endgame and get hook camped... and depip because you didn't escape. That hardly seems fair? In fact, this system now rewards more passive end-game play. Which is not healthy.

I do see your points and you make some valid ones but the cons do outweigh the pros. It will also be fixed on the next patch (tuesday) so it will be right back to normal assuming it goes correctly.

This bug is not an indication of skill. It's broken in so many ways. Also, some are experiencing the double pip or else dilemma, which isn't even fair. Because they don't even black pip for a decent game. One guy on youtube showed now he CAN'T pip at all. Though anecdotal, all the data matters currently.

• gendoss

I'm not saying it shouldn't be fixed. I'm just saying it's a nice little thing before MMR comes out.

• jrinkwater
    jrinkwater Member Posts: 314

I mean personally I don't find anything nice about a small patch breaking something so massively for many players. I'm not knocking you, of course. As you have your own interests in what you want from the game. I do believe the current system to rank needs a major rework so I'm sure we agree on that

• Nossy
    Nossy Member Posts: 118

I think the 2 are linked in a way^^

I play mainly killers at rank 1 and since the rank reset, I'm use to play against sweaty sfw (since I play mostly at night, I almost never face rainbow team/full soloq) and mix of sfw and solo q and since patch/rank reset, I find my games are sweatier than usual, even against 4 solos, I faced way more 2k-4k+ hours people with tournament level skill or close and solo q that actually know looping and being efficient on gens.

Maybe the secret MMR is linked to emblem system for surv being bugged (I had it with killer too but its gone now since 4.5.1).

Anyways, would it be secret MMR or natural selection made by the bug, almost all my matches are against good players and I saw way less boosted red ranks survivors as I used to.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

Yes, and the emblem bug. If you don't escape you don't even get an emblem... which makes ranking up even harder (impossible for me). I finished the survivor side of the rift tonight, and thankfully most of my matches were against 1s and 2s. I feel bad playing against low rank killers, I try to not "bully" them, but it still feels bad.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

I've been kinda wondering this too.

I dont know, I didn't play for last two months basically and deranked from purps to the 13 line, so its hard for me to tell, but even then it's like I'm getting wonderfully fair matches compared to the stuff I'd been experiencing as a rank 8-10 going against rank 1s on the reg.

Survivor has been "harder" but not like artificially with the one on one ######### me any more than it use to, I think its just been better balanced now and I'm seeing lesser performances from less skilled team players so not as easy to tip the match into a solo blowout with everyone knowing the maps perfectly and gens gens gnes.

I've had way more fun games on both sides too.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

That's the problem. At the moment escapes mean everything. It's hard to pip when 25% of your potential points are taken away.

• rydiafan
    rydiafan Member Posts: 22

#1 Yeah, that's an elitist attitude.

#2 They wouldn't be multiple color ranks below you if it weren't for a bug.

• rydiafan

The bug encourages people to play like selfish rats and hide in the corner self-caring, because only survival matters. Why do gens and unhook people when dying erases all my progress?

• gendoss

You don't understand what my point is. Some people shouldn't be in red rank to begin with. You might be new to the game but the ranking system is terrible. It's bad for the newer players who were in red rank too because it will start matching them with killers who have 1,000+ hours and that's just not fair. The ranking system should work and with this new bug it works even better.

• rydiafan

It isn't working "even better" because despite your condescending attitude, those people SHOULD be in red rank, because they earned their way there. A bug screwing people out of pips they rightfully earned isn't a good thing just because you think you're better than everyone else.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

I've said it before.

I deranked down to rank 10 thanks to the bug. And I thank it greatly. Now I am not fighting against sweaty try hards every match like I would in Red ranks.

• sulaiman

Thats a thing of opinion, i find chases boring, because they are very static in the sense that they are the same every game. I get a thrill from not being found (or juking the killer) but not from running around in circles.

• sulaiman

Thats simply not true. There might be people that play that way, but i dont. there are games where i am the only one doing gens, and a killer searching for you around a gen is wasting time as well.

• Chrisko
    Chrisko Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2021

I agree with you. I do gens and loop the killer then eventually get caught (bloodlust or desync) and am either tunneled to death, farmed on the hook or not saved at all (I run kindred btw). I am out of the match early while the other survivors are hiding behind a rock or looking for mushrooms (crouching).

In order to pip, you need to stay in the game and without SUPPORT from the other survivors, it is difficult to do that. There is a difference between BEING CARRIED by teammates and DISTRIBUTING the LOAD so we can stay in the game long enough to gain emblem points.

Add into that the weird changes from the patch with turning, juking and desync and it is a sh$t show.