Why is 'everyone' so Toxic towards TTVs on the Forums?

Options

It seems like every post I see where someone even mentions they have a twitch, or has TTV in the name (like me, but not about me) seems to get blasted.

I'm not gonna sit here and flex, but as a streamer who actually has played this game since it came out and has over 6000+ hours across platforms, it seems like the forums almost always are toxic towards streamers.

I never see issues like this on Steam discussions, Reddit threads or even Xbox community discussions, it baffles me how horrible some people are in this forum just because someone has twitch in their name.

It also annoys me when people say "Ah Mr. twitch streamer who knows everything about the game", as if everyone who does stream DBD is a wannabe Otz or something. It seems like a lot of the time I can't even have a conversation with someone because someone else just tries to rip me or another streamer for just wanting to talk about a subject, lmao.

Anyone got a theory to this? Let's actually have a conversation, please xD

Comments

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

Probably because they feel they have something to prove to a person with ttv and their audience if they are streaming when they see them in a lobby. "People might be watching me, I have to completely destroy this guy". I guess it's due to the fact that streamers are the only ones you can actually see calling other players foreheads and pepegas. Since they are streaming it for audience. Even though everyone else does it in front of their tv screen.

• ttvbardberd
    ttvbardberd Member Posts: 144
    Options

I don't think the post was condescending at all, it was about how actual toxic/trash players are jumping on the bandwagon of hate towards behaviour just because they're bad at the game, when all evidence shows that the current pip bug is more of a visual bug rather than a mechanical bug.

Also, as I said in the post, this isn't about me. Please refer to the original post and read it through. If you have, then you'd understand that it doesn't really have anything to do with me. I made this post to have a discussion about this issue that I see come up, and only person has made a valid reply so far, lmao.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

Nope, not really. It's a genuine discussion about it. And I said in the previous comment, that this post hasn't got anything to with that post, but for context, read the previous comment.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I can agree to a degree, a lot of streamers do have this sort of "god" complex. But I was a player of this game with over 6000+ hours on multiple platforms before I was a streamer, so I think the streamer title just has a sort of bad association with people on the forums specifically, because I stated I don't see this problem on Reddit or Steam discussions, etc.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

I want to add to the earlier replies, that TTV is a sign for toxity, too. Some use this in their name without streaming only bc they want to have a toxic username.

So others who play against them, start to associate ttv with toxic behaviour. I dont know how it started but there are some toxic streamer.

So most players had atleast one annoying match with a ttv.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I agree to an extent, thank you for actually giving a decent reply too lmao, seems impossible to find one of those when you have ttv in your name lmao.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    Options

I do not see such a trend here or anywhere else.

The few posts related to ttv names that appear here are almost always "I equip moris when I see one" or "I dodge lobbies when I see one" kind of stuff, both being hardly relevant and rather rare.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583
    Options

I've seen loads of TTVs that talk huge amounts of trash and spout ultra nasty commentary during their games.

That's why I love watching SpookNJukes expose those people.

Yes, #NOTALLSTREAMERS, but enough.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I definitely have, and I can see that for sure. It deffo sucks when it's associated to everyone though, sort of comparable to a group of people in the real world doing something awful, and then having that association apply to others in the group when they might not have the same values.

But as a self-proclaimed "Nicest streamer on dbd", it's frustrating to not have a decent conversation with other players. We're on here because we all enjoy the game, so it sucks when other are ######### on to what really just amounts to way of promoting themselves and letting other people know they make content on the game that literally other people in the same place enjoy.

• gusm09
    gusm09 Member Posts: 47
    Options

As a killer if i see a TTV. player, i go really nasty on them, killer traditions i guess.

As a survivor i never have TTV on my name cause i feel like i don't need to advertise my stuff, i'd rather grow normally

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,784
    Options

Although the smaller Twitch streamers are usually (although not always) extremely nice, alot of the big names come off as toxic, which brings in a lot of viewers. Because not everyone watches smaller streamers, many just assume other than very few, all of them are toxic.

But hey that's just my theory.

• KiwiCoattails
    KiwiCoattails Member Posts: 566
    Options

I personally avoid playing with and against TTV players because I’ve had too many bad experiences with them. I can’t resist the urge to go into peoples streams after the match has ended and I was finding myself becoming really annoyed with how much smack the streamer would talk and how they’d twist and straight up lie about certain things. I know not every TTV is like this and some will be genuinely lovely people but I’m just not risking it anymore. Stream if you want, but don’t expect me to play with you.

Me and my friend got into a lobby with Morf and she was being chased pretty much all game by a Tier 1 Myers, so she wasn’t getting a lot of chaser points because he didn’t have a terror radius and she wasn’t being able to fix generators. Fast forward to the end of the match, we all had more points than my friend and his chat were calling her useless and saying she did nothing all game because of her BP, even though she literally was being chased all game lol.

Since that moment, I just decided to stay clear of streamers.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864
    Options

People only talk about ttv unless it's brought up. Like if someone makes a thread about NOED no one's saying "And also ttv people are toxic". You'd have to make a thread, like this one for example, to get people to talk about ttvs

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

I get this, I don't go extra nasty but I'll go out of my way to give the stream a show, ups and downs etc. I like to think I'm actually entertaining them rather than typical survivor gameplay

• ttvbardberd
    Options

That's a fair enough point. It is a shame that they have left a bad taste in your mouth. I wouldn't apply this to all streamers though, maybe DBD streamers specifically.

Literally all of my friends and even other streamers I play with and befriended I've met through twitch though. I'm pretty sure every single on I've encountered has either been funny or friendly enough to befriend. Maybe you just met the wrong streamers, which sucks.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

Sometimes I see people bring up their ttvs to show vods for problems or just to provide some context to their point etc. But you're right, I've seen a lot of ttvs do this.

It just sucks that all streamers are grouped together. A lot of my friends I've actually made through twitch and my community is quite wholesome and we always have a good time in the stream.

Obviously it's a way of free promotion, but the only way to get anywhere as a streamer now is to promote yourself as far and wide as possible. You can't just stream and expect people to know where your channel is, you know?

• ManInaPickle
    ManInaPickle Member Posts: 36
    Options

Get a real job and contribute to society and not just taking handouts from timmy stealing him mom's credit card out of her purse, then people wouldn't ######### on twitchys.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I agree. And it is a shame. I find the majority of streamers are pretty nice and decent. I said in a previous comment that I've made a lot of friends from twitch, practically everyone I play with has come from dbd. So I don't think it's all doom and gloom, but there are definitely people out there who just have a superiority complex.

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 769
    edited February 2021
    Options

Well you got some answers now. Personally I don't pay attention to user names and while there are definitely people in this community (and not only in this forum) who hate streamers just because they are stream I haven't noticed an insane amount of hate directed towards streamers on this forum so that is why I think your behaviour is atleast partly responsible for the reaction you got/get.

Many people tried to discuss with you about the rank in the other post so I'll just keep it short:

BHVR has acknowledged this bug report so BHVR themselves admit that ranking is bugged (and not just visually).

Just to compare:

This is report for a bug that made it look like the perk wasn't working but it was just visual, the Devs addressed that in their acknowledgement of the bug.

In the end it's not my problem if you believe the bug is visual or not (the 4.5.2 hotfix should arrive soon so we should get clarity with the patch notes anyway) but if you tell people that a problem that they have with the game and that they will strongly about isn't legit you will get unpleased reactions.

• KiwiCoattails
    Options

I know it isn’t every streamer but it was getting to the stage where it was more often than not and I just couldn’t be bothered to deal with it anymore. The only time I play with streamers now is if they’re a killer because I can’t see their name until after the game lol. I recently played / survived against Otzdarva which was fun.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I get your point, and I don't disagree. If anything it proves that the TTV is good, if they can evade tunnels or a Mori, it proves that they're probably worth watching.

I disagree with the "grow normally" aspect of your comment though. It's extremely hard to get anywhere when you're a small streamer, unless your collaborate or, self-advertise, it's almost impossible for new people to find your channel, and it's a free-form if promotion at the end of the day. But I respect your opinion.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I wasn't really talking #########, I was just pointing out that it seems like the same toxic people are jumping on the bandwagon of hate that BHVR gets. Yeah they do screw up their game a lot, but no game is perfect. Everything they do is calculated to make the game better, but when bugs spew out, people will take advantage of them, which is what the post was about. A lot of people, including you just don't understand the context of the post, and that's okay, you're just probably on this forum to be a dick rather than actually have a conversation with an actual valid point.

• KiwiCoattails
    Options

How is it not a real job? You sound so bitter lol. It’s the same as people who do YouTube as a career, they’re providing a service and are being paid for it. It’s a form of entertainment. Literally no different than watching a TV series or movie.

Imagine job shaming in 2021. So embarrassing.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

That's not really a valid piece of discussion to the thread lmao.

But as a counter to your point, people can spend their money on whatever they want. Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean other people don't have too.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

As you actually provides actual proof of this being the case, I'll happily retract my statement. I appreciate you making a respectful and informative response that proves my point wrong. The first post you link is the one I've been going off of this entire time.

I will however say that you should have put this comment in the other thread, as it doesn't belong here really.

Thanks either way though.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298
    Options

"Get a real job" is too trash of a statement to be answered by just "ok, boomer"; it's probably on "ok, zoomer" level.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

Playing against Otz is quite fun, especially when you consider how fairly he plays. I've gone up against him about 3 times and it is extremely fun!

As long as you're having fun on the game though, you do whatever you want. That is what it's all about at the end of the day.

• gusm09
    gusm09 Member Posts: 47
    Options

It's good advertising for your channel nonetheless, since at least after a match some players could go out of their way to say nice things in your twitch chat, but you're also leaving a window open for bullying.

I don't use TTV in my name for that reason, plus i haven't streamed in quite a while, haha.

And yeah, growing on twitch is difficult, specially if you want to dedicate to playing a popular game like Dead by Daylight, i've been there, sometimes you spend so much time talking to yourself. But i guess it's just part of the grind, most big streamers right now must've been there at some point.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    Options

TTV are rarely good players at heart, they will do the FL spam and other things to make their games more fun to watch. They also like to be in swf and coordinate annoying things because again it makes it more fun for the viewers. They can be good people but lets be honest your not going be like that in game if you want your content to be fun to watch.

im not saying all are like that but they are just annoying and as others have said a lot of them have a pretty big ego and think that their opinion matters more when in reality someone could have like 20k hours and know more about the game but the streamer will brush them off because they are someone they have never even heard of.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

is a bit scummy lmao, especially when you consider how hard it is to get a job at the minute with COVID. I'm a student and have applied for a lot of jobs, and Twitch streaming has actually provided me with a real income as I can't get a job irl right now. I can actually afford to pay my rent and not be homeless because of it, which is f*cking amazing.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,808
    Options

Most likely because they are usually full of themselves.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

That's a fair enough point. I can understand how a lot of people would get really frustrated and annoyed with the trolling and bullying, especially when you have a small amount of viewers etc.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

Thanks for this comment. I made the most because I genuinely wanted to know. I literally only recently made this dbd forums account, and I only did that because I'm on the forums quite a lot reading some of the stuff people say. I didn't realize putting ttv in my username would cause so much of an outrage in forum posts though.

As too the ttvs are rarely ever good, I'll also agree. I've made a lot of friends on twitch, but barely any of them are good. That's not me saying that I'm better than them, more just our skill levels are different. But you're right, a lot of streamers do usually only care about making content, etc. Sometimes that seems to be the thing that overtakes the gameplay. Seems kind of boring to me though.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    Options

Honestly if people are using TTV against you on the forums and you mentioned nothing about streaming just brush them off, eventually people will back off you when you have enough time on here. Like i'll be honest it does look like free advertising but once your account is no longer 'new' you'll be more respectable as long as your not posting rubbish like some trolls do.

• ttvbardberd
    Options

I did notice that. It does seem like people on the forums have a superiority complex based on their amount of posts. You could be playing the game for years but just because you made an account recently, no one will take you seriously.

Thanks for the advice thought I appreciate it.

I won't sit here and say it's not a form of free self-promotion as well, I mean that's the idea of it. At least I'll admit it though, lmao.

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985
    edited February 2021
    Options

This is the only publication about the ttv of this month that I have seen and it is the first complaint, but every time I see a ttv in my lobby, it is a free game for me.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,971
    Options

You've played DBD for 4+ years and are only just now asking why people are toxic to TTVs? You've "never seen" TTV toxicity anywhere else?

What else does it take OP four years to notice?

Judging from some of the other responses, your problem isn't your TTV handle.

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417
    Options

I like ttv players in my lobbies because I like going to watch the vod and seeing myself after the match in a different perspective and seeing their reactions to how I played. Not that I treat them any different from other players. Sometimes they will say some "toxic" things about me but usually it's just those heat of the moment things and I understand that so I'll drop a gg in their chat and they'll give me a gg back and we'll talk about the match a bit and sometimes I'll drop a follow if I like their vibe. Idk about other people but I usually have enjoyable experiences with them :p

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,195
    Options

It's because of the attitude you come off with, you act like you're above everyone else and have a better opinion because you stream and have played since release , I have 9,753 hours in this game and played since release but even I'll admit scenarios when I'm wrong or when someone is a better player than I am and might have more knowledge than me about specific things, my hours don't mean ######### except I've been loyal to the game for longer than I probably should've. Honestly there are more TTV in their name players who are rude and condescending than those who are nice.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    edited February 2021
    Options

"im not gonna sit here and flex"

2 seconds later

*starts flexing

But also

why do people dislike ttv

My theory, they think because they are ttv that means they need to advertise their name everywhere, "flex" all the time right after saying they aren't going to flex but also act the victim when people call them out for advertising everywhere and flexing all the time (bonus points if they are really mediocre at the game while flexing like having 4 second chases as survivor or running on 5 gen chases as killer without actually catching the surviovr)

• CyperX
    CyperX Member Posts: 103
    Options

Pretty new to the game but I do notice everytime there is ttv I either back out before match starts or sometimes give it a go depending on my mood or killer I am using. If im doing a challenge with killer and see TTV and a row of flashlights ...il most def backout before it starts then to ever rage quit which I haven't yet.TTV mess around alot , body block, unhook right on your face , flashlights , loops , just stupid taunts but again...it's fun when they get owned

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

This is a weird way of promoting your twitch channel.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

If I play killer I don't want anyone recording my gameplay so it's good to tunnel the TTV survivor. It's not toxic they should understand this. I mean they have the right to record me same as any person on the streets can use their smartphone and film me but if they do I walk away because same thing I don't want to be on camera.

This discussion has been closed.