Stop trying to Kobe before a save

Options

Had to cross the map to save someone from the basement on Hawkins. The survivor tried the old kobe right before I unhooked them (first phase) which forced them into the second phase.

I shook my head right in front of them and left them on the hook

If you force yourself into the second phase uneccessarily then you're damaging everyone's chance of survival. My consequent action is too but having my hand forced to teach a lesson is valuable

Comments

• TattooJake
    TattooJake Member Posts: 158
    Options

That’s really idiotic on their part. The only time to do that is if your hook timer is nowhere close to second phase.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,100
    Options

It used to aggravate me when I saw someone hooked try to jump off when I get near them. If they don't succeed, I just spam the unhook animation a bit to annoy them back and then unhook them. If they succeed, I won't run across the map to rescue them the next time they're hooked.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Yeah really scummy and if they manage to kobe you are denied unhook points. Too selfish imo.

• SpookyPumpkinPiez
    SpookyPumpkinPiez Member Posts: 278
    Options

You left them there to die because they tried to escape off hook? Interesting

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    edited February 2021
    Options

Both are wrong. I dont think it actually teaches them anything not saving them but it only frustrates them and kinda screws you over in the game honestly

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I noticed a very large amount of people does this. Did some streamer started this trend? I wouldn't be surprised. It is even more common than few years back. I don't remember this being a problem.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

if someone does this to me i stand there till they go second phase or someone else walks up.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited February 2021
    Options

Yeah that's dumb, but I wouldn't leave them to die either that's worse.

They might have done it by accident maybe thinking they could do it safely or something; but you did something for intentionally negligible reasons.

At the same time, I still don't blame you entirely either haha.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

First off you should have unhooked them, they dont learn anything by staying on hook, they learn by dying instantly on 2nd hook. You didnt include rank info so might have been a newer player

As for why someome would do this i can come up with a couple reasons.

1. The timer was going to go to 2nd stage anyways, they may have also just misjudged the timer and thought that incorrectly.

2. Going for the achievement for self unhooks, and misjudged the timer. Running slippery meat is a waste of a perk slot and i dont have deliverance, so the best way to go for this is right before a rescue.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited February 2021
    Options

maybe they were close to the second phase already, and a habit is to just give it a go if they think you won't reach them in time to avoid being insta dead the next time they're hooked if they can help it. since if the attempt were to fail you'd get them down and either way they expected to be on death hook already the next time, but were they to hit the three pointer they would not be. think outside yourself sometimes

• dnj510
    dnj510 Member Posts: 438
    Options

Going off what you've said, it's situational. The player on hook may be compelled to try and kobe off of the hook if they knew there was no chance they would get saved before 2nd phase, even if someone was on the way to unhook. Happened to me plenty of times where, for example, I was 3 seconds away from struggle and the other survivor was 5 seconds away from saving me.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,349
    Options

Thought this was going to be about trying to kobe when you still have like 40 seconds until second phase, I can agree with you on this, you shouldn't be taking needless risks like this person did.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

yeah you leaving them is just as bad, they shouldn't do that but chances are they tried to kobe because they were a second from second phase anyway.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977
    Options

What? This is a clear case of them thinking they had a little more time. I always attempt to Kobe right before a survivor unhooks me. It's extra points if you do in the survival cat.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options
  • BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

you know we can see if others are seconds away from second phase right?

and those hooked players can also see if someone is coming for them....

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

yeah but seeing as the bar isn't as consistent as seeing how close the entities claws are to being ready.

yeah and if they are going into second anyway its worth a try

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

It's interesting to read all the different opinions on this subject. A while ago I made a poll about this and the opinions were divided too. I hate when someone I'm going to save tries to unhook themeselves in front of me. I'm coming to help them, so why are they trying to unhook themselves, while I'm right there? So they get points and not me. Then, if they succeed in unhooking on their own, they still want me to heal them. I'm sorry, but you were hooked, I took time of what I was doing before to save you and you steal my points away? That is not fair.

So, sometimes I do get the urge to just leave them on the hook to die, to teach them a lesson. Most times, I save them, for the good of the team and for points, of course. But if you unhooked yourself in front of me, don't expect me to go running the next time you are hooked and almost dead. Choices have consequences. You wanted to be selfish, I will be selfish too.

• The_Nightmare
    The_Nightmare Member Posts: 65
    Options

I was thinking that same thing they gotta learn somehow but then on the flip side of the coin, just leaving him there is just adding to his mindset of trying to kobe lol

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

That's pretty dumb gameplay though. Making another survivor stop what they're doing, run acrosse the map, just so you can kobe in their face. Just so you can get an achievement?

I used to get much more annoyed at the kobe in front of my face things. Now it's just whatever to me, but also your line of reasoning is dumb and selfish. I would suggest paying the shards to get Adam and deliverance.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

This is the one time I'd leave them and do a gen nearby. I'll save them later if there's a chance.

• Xayrlen
    Xayrlen Member Posts: 329
    Options

"Oh, boo-hoo, I've been denied my 1k, and instead of healing on the spot, I'd rather be left with 3 survivors than let that criminal be on a lose!"

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 994
    Options

I just think it's funny and laugh. They asserted dominance on me by kobe'ing in my face.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

"If you force yourself into the second phase uneccessarily then you're damaging everyone's chance of survival." If you're leaving them on the hook to die rather then unhook them so you have an additional player for a little bit longer then you don't care about the teams survival either. You'd rather think you're teaching some random a lesson on trying to unhook themselves (you're not, they're just going to think randoms are useless and leave others to die on hook) than just unhook them so they can maybe help the team further.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

I can see your point but i have more important things to get than adam and deliverance. If its timed right (not puttimg yourself in 2nd stage) the kobe in your face still allows the person who came in to get the heal and then you can jump on a gen together to make up the time. I will also clarify i only try it while there are still 4 survivors, and the person coming just finished their gen.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options

If they go into second state then they are incredibly dumb. Though I see no problems with someone attempting the kobe if you know you won't go second state.

I think it's kinda petty if someone chooses not to save a survivor becuase they tried to kobe before the unhook.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Well they can’t can they?

They put themselves into second stage for no good reason.