I’m Sick of the Matchmaking

To a certain degree yes I know, rank doesn’t mean anything. However I think honestly it does to an extent. Like a level 1 red rank going against survivors who 9, 15, 8, and 20.( FYI that was my match just now. I’m level 9 and we got destroyed before we could even do a gen. Blight on a small map who could easily find us everywhere. Twitch streamer too) how is this fair? At the very least give me people of rank who have played the game long enough to get one gen done. We are going against level 1 red rank for Christ’s sake and you’re giving me a 15 and 20 teammate? That’s not a match, that’s shooting dead fish in a barrel.

Comments

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

Rank means something. While it's true that you will find skilled players at low ranks and bad players at high ranks, rank is a pretty good indicator of skill. That's because consistently good people will be in the high ranks and consistently bad people will be in the low ranks.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

Yeah people say rank means nothing but my games are considerably harder with purples than greens, and again with reds from purples.

I must say though it is nice to play low ranks occasionally as I have to sweat a bit less and can enjoy chases rather than constantly feel pressured to end chases quickly, slug, or split pressure

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

You can still play trapper in reds, but you need certain perks to make it more simple on you. Right now your best option is to play another decent killer, and as you get more skill you can go back to trapper, because you'll learn a lot more game sense, since trapper is a game sense killer. Especially in red ranks.

• Okaythenn
    Okaythenn Member Posts: 47

But I'm not red ranks though that's my point, i cant even improve my trapper game play because im a rank 12 killer that keeps getting put with red rank survivors, i haven't even been playing a year so i don't have every killer perk going either.

Why do i have to change something when the game keeps putting me with players that are the highest ranking when im only green rank.

Which also means i have no way of improving my play when i don't even have a chance.

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

I started playing back in august, and it was pretty bad for me also. I went against reds constantly at literally rank 20. I got dunked on over and over again, but I rapidly picked up skill level and 1 week later I was already a rank 1 killer. It's about adapting and trying to perform to your best ability. The state of matchmaking is honestly absolutely terrible. I don't think they will ever fix it's consistency, and I think it will be garbage for the rest of the games life. You just have to toughen it out. If you want to play trapper you certainly can, but like I said before. Learn the game better with another killer, and go back to trapper once you have higher game sense.

• RealKamakaze
    RealKamakaze Member Posts: 117

I know what you mean plenty of people have said to me that "You either have an unfair game or no game at all, and an unfair one is better than no game" well to me that's just stupid. You play a game to have fun and enjoy yourself, to get a release from all the stress you have in your life and to escape for a while. So I would simply rather have no game at all because an unfair game isn't fun to play and it just stresses you out even more. I mean they say it's better to have a game rather than no game but there are plenty of other games I can go play. Honestly the DBD team need to fix matchmaking immediately not make a new outfit for Meg. In reality though matchmaking isn't DBD's only issue. I mean for higher rank players (20-15) the game is very killer sided while for lower rank players (14-1) it's very survivor sided. Things need to be nerfed, camping & tunnelling need to be discouraged heavily and Iridescent shards need to be more accessible to people can get more perks, survivors and killers. That's how the game could be more fair.

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252

In my world I am green and the reason why is everyone I play is red or Purple..usually armies of red

• TattooJake
    TattooJake Member Posts: 158

When I first started playing it took me about 75 hrs or so to get to rank 1 cause I played a lot. Anyway 2 times in a week I got match against Oh Tofu and he literally ######### all over the entire team. I was pissed the game was matching me with someone that had over 7k hrs in the game. What a joke.

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516

Yeah you’re just destined to eat dirt at that point.

• DarrellM74
    DarrellM74 Member Posts: 64

Wanna tell me how this is in any way fair? 2 of them I could not hit and the other 2 would simply disappear mid chase, I watched them in a hallway just disappear...######### dbd??

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

Matchmaking works fine! At Rank 13:

First match I play against a 3, 4, 6, 8 team. They obviously stomp me as I'm learning PH (level 36 atm).

Second match I play against a 12, 16, 19, 20. I stomp them, and let the last out the exit gate after I close the hatch.

Third match I play against a 10, 12, 8, 6. Bit better than the first match, but I still get beat down.

Fourth match. I switch to Survivor.

• DarrellM74
    DarrellM74 Member Posts: 64

Just a simple question, are you guys at all companies a part of dbd ######### slow??? You have managed to ######### up matchmaking even worse, I am a 9 survivor, have not had a teammate between 1 and 15 all ######### day, and not a killer worse than a 3. Switch over to killer where I am an 11 and had no less than 3 red ranks every single game. Which one of you simple ######### cant get your head out of your ass and fix this?? You guys are ######### and the game is showing it, do something soon or I for one am done with your bullshit!!

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

My match just now. RIP

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

I think the problem is that the number of killers and survivors changes during the day. If there are too many survivors you would need to wait a very long time to get a suitable ranked killer, so then the matchmaking assigns you a less suitable (more skilled) killer.

Note that this is probably possible with mmr enabled as well. Since the killer is expected to win you will lose only little from your rating.

Solution: play killer when there is a lot more survivors than killers.

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545

Its so ######### bad. I refuse to spend money on this game until its fixed.

Its one of the worst MM systems I have ever seen. In rainbow six siege, you never see a silver vs a team of champions, thats how ridiculous some of these matchmakings are.

Why arent they per killer either. I might be a red rank freddy, but if I try to learn a new killer how the ######### am I meant to? Its cod levels of bad, you must keep using the meta killers.

• Dragonshensi

I’ve been rank 15 and such as Killer and I keep getting red rank survivors. It’s downright ridiculous

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited March 2021

It's honestly disgusting and shows the lack of any empathy or care from the developers regarding the games health.

They are basically telling their players that if they are not good at the game- they shouldn't play at all. I mean the better you are, the less matchmaking matters to you, so you better dump thousands and thousands of hours into it then if you want to play AND have fun!

It's why I always encourage people not to play the game when my friends ask about it. It's the #1 problem, and thing I hold against the game and it's devs, and believe there is absolutely NO excuse for the state it's in. None.

I'll defend developers at almost any turn, happily it's a hard job I get that- but when it comes to this one specific thing in DBD right now, if I was a developer, I would be embarrassed, but I guess they have a thicker skin than I do.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

At this point I trust playtime wayy over rank. I'm PC so every time I see another survivor with a similar play time as me they're always my level and it's so great. I don't care if you're red rank if you only have 80 hours I shouldn't be matched with you.

• Dragonshensi

One time I got three red rank survivors and a level 8 and at the time I was a level 15 killer. They of course bullied the crap out of me and played toxic cause I was underleveled. So I played dirty and camped and tunneled. Managed to kill all but one. Still, I shouldn’t be facing these kind of tryhards at such a low rank.

• fray1919
    fray1919 Member Posts: 199

So they were miles better than you.

But you claim you killed three of them.

Because you tried hard.

But they're the "tryhards."

Even though they probably essentially let you kill them.

The levels of cope in your post are just mindboggling.

• Dragonshensi
    edited March 2021

Oh yeah. They just graciously let me kill them after tbagging and blinding me every chance they got. No they kept going for saves right in front of my face and all sorts of tactics. They were a party. The levels of snark in your post is mindboggling. What’s with the douchey comment out of nowhere dude?

• fray1919

I'm not hearing anything that leads to me to believe they weren't horsing around and not caring if you killed them.

Not everyone takes the game as seriously as you did.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

It doesn't get better as you get more experienced either. I can handle red ranks. Green ranks, red ranks, none of them can run me for so long, but it doesn't matter because no matter how short your chases are gen speeds trump all. Gens take 80 charges regardless of whether you have 10 hours or 10,000 hours so as long as everyone contributes their part the game is winnable for survivor.

• Buckoben
    Buckoben Member Posts: 351
  • fray1919
    edited March 2021

Every post. And I completely agree that matchmaking is broken.

This is specific to dragonhensi's rank 15 v red ranks post.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Last night I faced a rank 3 Deathslinger, then in the very next game, a rank 20 Wraith. Slinger was very good, Wraith invisibilty camped and tunneled 🤣

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

I wish there was a slider to choose between balanced matchmaking and faster matchmaking. Dota 2 has something like this if i remember right.

• Buckoben
    Buckoben Member Posts: 351

Alright so you just took an opportunity to be an ass.

FYI Just because you get kills in this game doesn't mean you take it seriously.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2021

My first game on Xbox as killer yesterday was me, rank 10 killer, vs 3 rank 20 and 1 rank 19 survivors. I don't mean high rankers deranking to troll the killers, they literally barely had any perks over tier 1 and a couple only had 2 perks and default clothing.

Hardly fair on new players, frustrating for them and boring for me. It's weird though because this is only happening on Xbox for me, Ps5 is giving me normal matches.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

I have been playing late at night recently (3 am+) but the matchmaking has been awful.. facing 15-20 survivor(s) as a rank 1 killer, or vice-versa as a survivor.

• e_j2007
    e_j2007 Member Posts: 130

i was playing the other day, and im rank 10 and i played against a survivor team that was all red ranks and of course i got gen rushed and looped into a loss in like 5 minutes. and this happens almost all the time. I always go against purple and red ranks and barley green ranks(the ranks that im in) now BHVR, please tell me why this is fair.

• Dragonshensi

Well how about this. I was in the match and you weren’t? So I think I know what happened.

• zappyboltz
    zappyboltz Member Posts: 4

It is incredibly unfair. Can't get match as survivor, go play killer. Rank 13 against all red. 3 gens in first minute of game and I've found 1/person. every match. And to top it off, cross play theyre usually PC players who can strafe projectiles and 360 like cake and then gloat about it and tbag and click you. Its like bhvr wants go cause mental health problems.

• undoredo
    undoredo Member Posts: 92

Even so it's like "darn it's 4pm can't play dbd anymore"

Good idea but it's still limiting :(

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

Matchmaking in this game is ROUGH. I've been learning Trickster and it's the only killer I play right now, and so I'm a solidly purple killer. & I swear, I played a match against three rank 1 players, and then I played against three rank 19 players. It's like the game is allergic to putting people of similar levels in a match.

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545
    edited May 2021

Behaviour logic.

Bring in tonnes of resident evil fans that will stay for a week, because this games matchmaking is trash #########.

The game also has a ridiculous grind. New people joining are going to be overwhelmed by how many bloodpoints it takes to build killers up. It honestly wouldnt surprise me if the game knows the % of what perks are used most by each survivor / killer and makes them take longer on the bloodweb.

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 753

The grind is the worst and you rank up so quickly on killer which is so bad because you reach a point in green/purple where you HAVE to have some gen regression perks to compete.