Kills or Hooks - Which way do you play killer and why?

Options

Lately I've seen a bunch of debate over what counts as a win and what the "correct" way to play killer is. Getting as many hooks as possible or getting a 4k by any means necessary even if that means you only get 4 hooks.

I wanna know what everyone's opinion on this is and why you play the way that you do. For me personally I try to go for more hooks because for me the most rewarding way to play is to get a pip or two at the end of the match. I enjoy the grind of ranking up and doing my best to keep in the red ranks, so I play for points and emblems. Now of course there are time's where I do just go for the 4k by any means necessary, it all depends on how I feel and survivors I play against.

At the end of the day the only right way to play is in a way that you're having fun. So I just want to know how everyone plays and why they play the way they do.

Comments

• tactic
    tactic Member Posts: 356
    Options

I go for both hooks and kills; getting 9 hooks is great but if every survivor lives then that ruins it a bit.

and in contrast, getting a 4K with 4 hooks is boring & emblems will really screw you over

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,619
    Options

Hooks. I rather have multiple Chases and end up on a 8 Hook/0K than having a 4K with 5 Hooks.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Hooks, you get more points and its way more interactive.

• boostedsurvivormain
    Options

Kills. If any survivor escapes through an exit gate, that's a loss for me. Not including hatch escapes though

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I try to focus on hooks, focusing on kills makes me play toxically, so I only do so when I feel it's warranted. Once the gens are done though, I'm killing as much as possible

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

Neither.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,730
    Options

I play for fun, I don't care if I get 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 Kills. Its just fun to run around and hit survivors in the face.

HÆHÆ, You cant run forever Dwight!

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,128
    Options

The debate is from a couple of Steamers. No need to proceed further than that.

• panernaners
    panernaners Member Posts: 243
    Options

Hooks if I want points. kills if I want to win.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

I like going for kills most of the time unless I am going for points. It is just fun and satisfying for me.

• Facture
    Facture Member Posts: 284
    Options

Early game I focus on Hooks, near late game I focus on Kills.

In an ideal world, I would go for 12 hooks every game, because I mainly play Huntress and like to throw hatchets, but I have no problem slugging late game to get a win (personal win is 3k and usually give last survivor hatch or door)

• offwhiteknight
    offwhiteknight Member Posts: 172
    Options

Hooks. I like blood points. At the end of the game, I'm happy as long as I got Ruthless Killer. Brutal is meh. I find I get a lot of 2k-3k Ruthless results and have very good games because I'm very interactive with the survivors. Lots of chases, etc.

• Hex_Husband
    Hex_Husband Member Posts: 119
    Options

Kills. I'm playing a KILLER. Hooks are great and all, but kills tell me more about the progression of my skill than hooking everyone (but having them escape) does.

• ProfGameAndTalk
    ProfGameAndTalk Member Posts: 326
    Options

Early game - Hooks. Hooks grant BP and that's what I'm playing for. Kills are nice, but if I HAVE to rank them then I'm going with hooks.

• ProfGameAndTalk
    ProfGameAndTalk Member Posts: 326
    Options

I feel this so much. I can have fun and feel like I completely outplay the survivors and end up with 0k. The no kills might sting just a little, but having fun is the key and for me getting those hooks are fun.

• robotron
    robotron Member Posts: 41
    Options

I think it's a bit silly. Everyone here would of course like to get as many hooks as possible. I think also saying getting a 4k with less than 8 hooks is not a win is a bit dumb. If I see a chance to end the game I will, if I want to be generous and give the survivors some time, I will. As Otz said, it's troublesome having to rely on survivors to do the right thing and very often they will leave people to die, kill themselves on hook or run themselves at you.

• wildtrapjake
    wildtrapjake Member Posts: 68
    Options

For me a win is any game in which I can walk away from having had fun.

Kills/hooks make no difference to me in the concept of "winning".

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Hooks since points are of most importance to me as opposed to kills

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,597
    Options

I want to go for 12 hooks, but gen rush dictates I slug and 1-hook everyone.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

It varies a lot I use different playstyles and different killers. Mostly I go for hooks but sometimes I'm not in the mood of chasing so I can camp while having a drink. Also depends on the killer I play I mean Nurse is a going for hooks kind of killer while Doctor is amazing at shocking survivors trying to unhook, so he is fun for camping playstyle. Trapper and Hag are fun to use for basement builds. Clown is also a killer for "normal" going for hooks play since he is great at chasing, but so is the Doctor but I don't know I turn into a mad man playing him sometimes.

Yeah I know what some thinks but I used to always go for hooks and never tunnel/camp/slug but I'm pretty burned out on the killer gameplay so yes I can be very lazy and "toxic" sometimes. If I ever get back to normal and my life is more normal again I think i will only go for hooks.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,075
    Options

I guess I aim for kills, because I try to prevent survivors from finishing all the gens before I kill them all.

But usually that results in my 4K games ending with at least 10 hooks anyways. Very rarely do I get 4K games with less than 6 hooks unless survivors are suiciding on first hook.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443
    Options