Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Let's talk: Camping

I've noticed... quite a few toxic players and their opinions on Camping or other "Bad Strategies". This post is to at least release tensions a little (Or at least explain what it is). I'm not saying camping is bad, I'm simply saying it's flawed in a few ways that are easy to exploit. Yes, in all honesty I DO find camping annoying, but it's not really annoying when you see the strengths and weaknesses once you actually think about it. While you're all saying that "Camping is bad" really aren't taking into account that in a way: Camping is good for the Survivors. Yes, regrettably a camper might be both, the best, and worst thing that could possibly happen.

Before you even comment ANYTHING negative below, hear me out first.

When there is a camper... just ignore the hooked survivor. It's as simple as ignoring a survivor with a EV3 Myers running around. Just do the gens... heal up... all that sh*t. Nonetheless. It's a simple sentence and yet not many people read it.

Anyway... A Camper is someone who... well camps a survivor on the hook. Might be a Wraith or some other killer that's running "Insidious". They mostly do this out of: Insecurity about themselves, aware of a Super-Altruistic survivor nearby, or too nervous to leave the survivor unattended without him/her being unhooked the minute he leaves or turns around.
I'll say that Altruistic survivors are the cause of this believe it or not. It's always annoying to see that one survivor who unhooks that survivor that you took a long time trying to chase, and finally downed them, before you restart the LOOONG chase because you turned around 90 degrees for 2 seconds, because of said Survivor.
(This exact thing happened to me, 3 gens got done by the time that 1 player got downed and then rescued) And yet when they see a camper... Boom, instant noob... despite them for some reason still going for the hooked person... despite the killer next to him. Isn't the point of the game to "Avoid the Killer", not "Go in front of the killer because my friend is on the hook."

****IGNORE THE SURVIVOR ON THE HOOK WHEN THERE IS A CAMPER!!!****
I cannot stress this many times, do NOT go to the hook when there is a camper, you'll either: Do suicide saving someone else or the Camper downs and re-hooks the survivor you just saved, making them die faster. It's that simple people. do not save the survivor in the presence of a camper. Unless if your bringing Borrowed Time, at this instance, go ahead. but if you don't have it: Pretend the survivor isn't there. Poof, no longer there, gen rush or whatever. Their life is not more important than yours.
In honesty, yes, I do camp occasionally. But it's only because I continuously get all 4 survivors on a hook (5 times in a row.) If you want them to stop Camping... Just don't be Altruistic. Simple yes?

Just wanted to help loosen tensions. I'm not sure if this will do much, but hey, it's something. I also may or may not have some errors in this post, Feel free to talk more about this topic, or to ask me... stuff.

Comments

• Toxicity23
    Toxicity23 Member Posts: 387

Exactly!

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    The problem is some people just give up or disconnect when they realize they're getting camped. This just lets the killer start camping someone else.

Also yes survivors shouldn't rush on for saves, bur many will try to save at some point
     It's just human decency to want to try and save that person and let them have a shot at the game. Feels crappy when you have to let them die because the killer is being a toxic scumbag. 
  • BLUE_APE
    BLUE_APE Member Posts: 282

You made points but gen rushing, camping, and looping is still bad game design.
    You can't change that fact. I'm surprised the Devs haven't found a solution yet, this has topic has been going on for a long time, you'd think they would want to do something to stop it.

But just for the record, your not justifide for camping if you were having trouble chasing one survivor (or tea bagging, and flashlight flickering) .
    (unless you have actual proof they were hacking)
    Because then it could just be that you are not the best at hitting survivors who can juke.
    Or the survivor is just better at dodging.
    Just to make sure your aware of that.

Also you don't really get any mean or toxic messages at the end of the match, if you DON'T Camp.
    You have the right to say GG, and not worry about being called a skill less noob.

• Toxicity23

I feel like a dumbass after posting this now.

• azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    BLUE_APE said:

But just for the record, your not justifide for camping if you were having trouble chasing one survivor (or tea bagging, and flashlight flickering) .

Campers don't need justification. Players can choose to play however they want. 
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

You forget that survivors are forced to save the guy on the hook or lose Benevolence. If you ignore that first guy on the hook and just rush gens you can't pip unless you do 3 gens by yourself and escape unbroken, and even then you still need to have a chase for at least bronze Chaser.

In the past yes, losing to camping is entirely on the survivors. But with emblems, they have to save the guy or they can't pip. Ignoring the save isn't an option anymore.

• Venzhas
    Venzhas Member Posts: 684
    I camp when one survivor is reaaaaally toxic. Like trolling, did all the pallets of the map, teabagging, flashlight af bodyblock and all the bad stuff. I prefer to kill this annoying one and let the 3 others free, just for ruining his game. And i love so much the insults just after :)

But sometimes yeah its annoying playing survivor when the killer camps you for no real reasons. So at least I win some time for my team I guess its all I can do
  • darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

@Venzhas said:
    I camp when one survivor is reaaaaally toxic. Like trolling, did all the pallets of the map, teabagging, flashlight af bodyblock and all the bad stuff. I prefer to kill this annoying one and let the 3 others free, just for ruining his game. And i love so much the insults just after :)

But sometimes yeah its annoying playing survivor when the killer camps you for no real reasons. So at least I win some time for my team I guess its all I can do

Yeah I get there are many people with delicate emotions that get easily triggered just because someone hits the crouch button a few times in front of them, but killers get that camping hate and it is considered toxic because 1) Gens are the only thing left to do now plus the killer and the hooked survivor are doing nothing for a good two minutes 2) benevolence points become non-existent which in turn kills malicious and probably devout points. If they don't get off the hook - you lose out on those points and emblems. So if they get off the hook 60 seconds from now or 6 seconds from now, what's the difference? Someone out there is still doing a gen while the killer is waiting around for hook decay.

That's why camping is often the tool of toxic killers who do not care about pips or points or the inexperienced who are so worried about not sacrificing anyone they never expand their skills.

• Venzhas
    Lol, i dont feel triggered by your low "psychological" explaination. Its not a question of sensitive emotions or whatever, I love playing with my public ; They play normal, I play normal. They play trash, I play trash. Simply as that :) And I already know about the point system, as a rank 1 killer. ^^
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

@darktrix said: So if they get off the hook 60 seconds from now or 6 seconds from now, what's the difference?

Exactly. I don't get why killers won't let someone get saved, all that means is they lose time on the hook and are closer to death. If you camp them then it takes them 2 minutes to die. If you let them get saved, they could be dead in 30 seconds.

• Venzhas
    One word ; Insidious 

:D
  • Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

@BLUE_APE said:
    You can't change that fact. I'm surprised the Devs haven't found a solution yet, this has topic has been going on for a long time, you'd think they would want to do something to stop it.

Because then it could just be that you are not the best at hitting survivors who can juke.

Also you don't really get any mean or toxic messages at the end of the match, if you DON'T Camp.
    You have the right to say GG, and not worry about being called a skill less noob.

Oh look… we found the entitled survivor main. ^^

• azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    edited November 2018

You forget that survivors are forced to save the guy on the hook or lose Benevolence. If you ignore that first guy on the hook and just rush gens you can't pip unless you do 3 gens by yourself and escape unbroken, and even then you still need to have a chase for at least bronze Chaser.

In the past yes, losing to camping is entirely on the survivors. But with emblems, they have to save the guy or they can't pip. Ignoring the save isn't an option anymore.

If victims HAVE to go for the save, a relative viewpoint supposing on you pipping being the end goal, then the killer has more reason to camp because you HAVE to go to that one spot.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Camping is a ridiculously bad strategy.

It only works because the survivors never use their brains because the devs never forced them to use them, so they have no practice :wink:

• BLUE_APE

@Wolf74 said:

@BLUE_APE said:

Oh look… we found the entitled survivor main. ^^

Its truth over oppiounin,
    I'm slowly adjusting to killer, can't wait to get clown. but I haven't gotten any mean messages for playing the game fairly weather I win or loose. funny thing is someone who was being toxic actually apologized after the match.
    besides why be all by your self, when you can be on vc with your friends. And who likes being IT during a game of tag? its fun but your by your self.

• SteveyHooves
    SteveyHooves Member Posts: 246
    The thing is I find scratch marks around the hook 50% of the time. 25% I run off I find scratch marks leading back to the hook... well the rest i don't know a mix of a lot a things. So survivors are pretty dumb. 
  • Purr
    Purr Member Posts: 83

@BLUE_APE said:

my friend streamed her game got a 3k let the fourth survivor go she was running window vault bamboozle nurse with 1 blink for the laughs never camped or tunneled.. still got extremly negative saltyrage from the survivor
    ive had games as nurse hag and mikey where survivors called me the N word fa**ot and much more simply becuz i outplayed and out mindgamed them and i never hook tunneled or camped in some i even found the unhooked survivor and walked away TWICE!!! and still got raged at

killers do the same thing as well
    dont say people dont do it becuz they do some killers and survivors get salty simply becuz of the fact u beat them plain and simple doesnt matter how fair u played
    i can link so many more pictures of this if need be from both sides

• BLUE_APE

@Purr said:

dont say people dont do it becuz they do some killers and survivors get salty simply becuz of the fact u beat them plain and simple doesnt matter how fair u played

Let me rephrase what I said.

"It can lower the chances of mean/toxic messages"

They just were not as good as your friend, if they didn't do said cheap tactic, then they are just sore loosers. People are going to be salty for loosing, and if they can't accept the fact the loss to someone with more skill, then them....T-O-O B-A-D.

These players are in higher ranks too, I've heard thats where a lot of toxic players comes from. Not all of it, but some.

Your right though, people will be ######### despite loosing fair and square. But then you can report them.
    But you said it your self though.

"It can come from both sides"

I'm sorry for your friend got some sore loosers.
    NOTE to everyone: you can win by playing as any character, so if you think someone is playing nurse or claudette to win...(you might be right) but they are there for us to play as, so just get better at the game. Its a skill based game. and don't be a jerk after the match if everyone played fairly.

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

@thesuicidefox said:

I'm sorry, but that is 100% false. It is not only easy to pip in that situation, but you can also double pip, as I have done several times. For the double pip, you need to do those things, but you don't even need the exit gates to be open to double pip. It sucks that one person is going to depip due to the camper, boo hoo. Every other survivor should be able to get out Scott-Free, if they don't play like idiots (a.k.a. Keystone Cops).

• The_Crusader
    Kaelum said:

@thesuicidefox said:

I'm sorry, but that is 100% false. It is not only easy to pip in that situation, but you can also double pip, as I have done several times. For the double pip, you need to do those things, but you don't even need the exit gates to be open to double pip. It sucks that one person is going to depip due to the camper, boo hoo. Every other survivor should be able to get out Scott-Free, if they don't play like idiots (a.k.a. Keystone Cops).

Double pip?

Nah. I've left someone on the hook due to camping. Got 0 benevolence and 0 evader.

Lets say the 3 of you do a gen each, then you do last 2 gens either solo or with someone.

Means at most all you get to do that game is 2 gens and open a door.

It doesn't work.

They need to stop survivors losing points everytime someone is hooked.
  • Wolf74

Mimimi

• Purr
    Purr Member Posts: 83

@BLUE_APE said:

@Purr said:

Let me rephrase what I said.

"It can lower the chances of mean/toxic messages"

They just were not as good as your friend, if they didn't do said cheap tactic, then they are just sore loosers. People are going to be salty for loosing, and if they can't accept the fact the loss to someone with more skill, then them....T-O-O B-A-D.

These players are in higher ranks too, I've heard thats where a lot of toxic players comes from. Not all of it, but some.

Your right though, people will be ######### despite loosing fair and square. But then you can report them.
    But you said it your self though.

"It can come from both sides"

I'm sorry for your friend got some sore loosers.
    NOTE to everyone: you can win by playing as any character, so if you think someone is playing nurse or claudette to win...(you might be right) but they are there for us to play as, so just get better at the game. Its a skill based game. and don't be a jerk after the match if everyone played fairly.

i agree exactly i play for fun and i enjoy my time playing i play fair and do my best to never tunnel or camp its why i never wanna hit red or purple ranks toxicity is not fun and i play a game for fun

• The_Crusader
    Wolf74 said:

Mimimi

Please, tell us what's on your mind?
  • BLUE_APE

@Purr said:

i agree exactly i play for fun and i enjoy my time playing i play fair and do my best to never tunnel or camp its why i never wanna hit red or purple ranks toxicity is not fun and i play a game for fun

Your a causal player too? My prayers have been answered.

• Wolf74

@The_Crusader said:
    Wolf74 said:

Mimimi

Please, tell us what's on your mind?

Stop asking for free unhooks.
    Stop asking killer to play stupid.
    Why is the reward for unhooking so high? Maybe because it is meant to be risky?
    Why are survivor so overconfident? Because the first 2 hooks do not mean anything.
    Just play like EVERY hook "could be" your death!
    You all want killer to play soft, while survivor are playing full tryhard.
    Survivor "just do what is needed to survive", but when killer do what is "needed to kill", survivor ask for punishments.
    Killer are not powerful enough to play according to some knightly codex.
    And btw, killer are demonic psychopath serial killer… they are not meant to be "nice".

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

I find that survivors, for some reason, think that the killer is supposed to get the hook, aka "score" then immediately walk away to allow the survivors to unhook, heal, and try again, where he then tries to get another "point" by hooking.

That's not how the game is played. i don't even think that game would be fun. If you do stupid stuff, i will take advantage of it as the killer. It's that simple. As the OP said, if you have 2 people do gens while 1 unhooks, it's guaranteed you get 2 gens while the unhook/rechase goes on. When you send 2 or even 3 to the hook, you risk losing the game.

• Toxicity23

What have I done.... good lord I did not expect a post as dumb as this... wow. I shouldn't have started this honestly.

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799

What have I done.... good lord I did not expect a post as dumb as this... wow. I shouldn't have started this honestly.

You learned a lesson tho. Now you know the ingredients for salty threads :D
  • Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

@Toxicity23 said:

If you're new to the game, you wouldn't understand. Killers have had it rough for a very, very long time.

• The_Crusader

I find that survivors, for some reason, think that the killer is supposed to get the hook, aka "score" then immediately walk away to allow the survivors to unhook, heal, and try again, where he then tries to get another "point" by hooking.

That's not how the game is played. i don't even think that game would be fun. If you do stupid stuff, i will take advantage of it as the killer. It's that simple. As the OP said, if you have 2 people do gens while 1 unhooks, it's guaranteed you get 2 gens while the unhook/rechase goes on. When you send 2 or even 3 to the hook, you risk losing the game.

Go watch many of the rank 1 streamers. Truetalent, hybridpanda etc this is what they do.

Hook one causing one person to get off a gen and unhook and heal, meanwhile they're already chasing down a fresh hook.

Hookinh one and then sitting there only works in solo games when they cant tell if killer is camping or not. Guess thats why so many killers lobby dodge and cry about swf, because then their camping doesnt work LOL
  • Toxicity23

@Khar said:

@Toxicity23 said:

If you're new to the game, you wouldn't understand. Killers have had it rough for a very, very long time.

No, i've been at this for longer than 5 months now... and boy oh boy they do have it rough.

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475

@Wolf74 said:
    Camping works, because survivor make it work.

You resumed my word from reddit so well.
    It really works cuz survivors allow it by:

• Not doing gens
    • Being over autruistic, like you turn back and BOOM, rescue + BT (you will find it LOL)
    • Making it easy for killer (no loops/pallets/chases). No work, just sit at the hook and wait.
  • Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    as has been said many times, if someone is camping LET THEM CAMP. at that point it is your job to get your team out of the match as quick as possible. 

it's lame, ruins the game, it sucks to have 2/5 players just sitting there watching the clock... but they're only hurting themselves by not getting bloodpoints and letting all the other survivors get out. 

The sooner we stop feeding them by insta-dc'ing, or getting killed trying to save the hooked player, the sooner the no-skill campers move on to another tactic.
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775

@Avariku said:
    as has been said many times, if someone is camping LET THEM CAMP. at that point it is your job to get your team out of the match as quick as possible. 

it's lame, ruins the game, it sucks to have 2/5 players just sitting there watching the clock... but they're only hurting themselves by not getting bloodpoints and letting all the other survivors get out. 

The sooner we stop feeding them by insta-dc'ing, or getting killed trying to save the hooked player, the sooner the no-skill campers move on to another tactic.

It's not entirely that simple.

One tactic is to camp the 1st person hooked to slow down the rest of the game.
    Like you said, it can work. Altruistic survivors feed the camping slowing down gens.
    At the least it's 1 person less to do gens. If the tactic really pans out well, it's 3, 2, or maybe even 1 person doing 5 gens which is a tall order.
    It's especially done to help hinder gen rushing.

Yeah, ideally camping can backfire some. The survivors gen rush in response to a camper.
    This creates a problem, though. 1 gen left, or the gates are open, and someone is hooked. especially if it's done in a few minutes.
    Now the killer isn't camping to slow down the game, they're camping to secure a kill.
    They want what few points they can get.
    Gen rush leaves the survivors with nothing to make the killer want to leave the hook now, and the killer has zero reason to leave the hook. There's no good reason for them to.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Go watch many of the rank 1 streamers. Truetalent, hybridpanda etc this is what they do.

Hook one causing one person to get off a gen and unhook and heal, meanwhile they're already chasing down a fresh hook.

Hookinh one and then sitting there only works in solo games when they cant tell if killer is camping or not. Guess thats why so many killers lobby dodge and cry about swf, because then their camping doesnt work LOL
    Funny that you mention true talent,  yes he claims he tries to be competitive but at the same time he refuses to tunnel and camp which definitely is the best thing to do in certain situations.

Also true talent is very aware of the swf brokenness and he gets genrushed regularly because he plays all killers and not only nurse/Billy. 

He even lobby dodges certain swf, and no its not because he can't camp against them :wink:
  • Avariku
    fair point, but it's still usually better than survivors trying to rescue and getting downed themselves,  then the camper feels his "tactic" is effective and has no incentive to stop. 

I absolutely detest campers and will only ever resort to camping to secure a kill on a toxic player. (people farming their teammates, bodyblockers, or the ones who are blatantly ruining others game.) 

I hate that camping is seen as a "legit" tactic. It's lazy, boring, and ruins the game. 
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775

@Avariku said:
    fair point, but it's still usually better than survivors trying to rescue and getting downed themselves,  then the camper feels his "tactic" is effective and has no incentive to stop. 

I absolutely detest campers and will only ever resort to camping to secure a kill on a toxic player. (people farming their teammates, bodyblockers, or the ones who are blatantly ruining others game.) 

I hate that camping is seen as a "legit" tactic. It's lazy, boring, and ruins the game. 

I hate camping, too, but I recognize when, and why people might want to. That also includes being a dick.

I honestly think it's the pace of the game. It's too easy to gen rush, so the killer is on guard.

But there's also killers with no chill. They want to snarf up everyone ASAP which helps create the need to gen rush.

It's a vicious cycle.

• Avariku
    Agreed. I main killer, but I am for fun so it doesn't stress me out.  With that said, while I don't fret it and aim mostly just to spook the survivors occasionally and keep them on their toes, not worrying about whether or not I "win"... 

it even irks me a bit when I finally spot my first survivor, get mid-chase and hear 3 gens pop all at once...

But even still, camping just sucks any fun out of it to me...  yea, I could get a guaranteed kill, but am I having fun just standing there watching them die??? no... I'm bored and the other survivors are escaping. 

but... thats just me... 

as for the gate camping... the only time I do that is if someone has been left behind and I'm weighing out the options for a potential rescue.

can't stand running around looking for survivors, just to find 3 of them inside a door teabagging and clicking lights. 

like, yea, you won... do you really have to be twats about it? you're not dbd pros, you just beat a very mediocre player.  xD