From Horror to KPOP? What's next.. Fall Guys?

Options
13»

Comments

• Mozzie
    Mozzie Member Posts: 618
    Options

I'm not, this guy keeps harking on it thinking he's making a solid argument and I'm just humoring him lol. Obviously the game is fantasy but if you're going to throw Justin Beiber'eske characters at us and say 'wow look at how scary this next killer is' you have to take the piss out of it. I don't play anymore, just mocking it for the shell of it's former self.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

Lord of the Dance!

• Mozzie
    edited March 2021
    Options

You must be new here! People on these forums are pretty desperate and think just about all the killers are attractive, I'll save you from a certain subreddit. There's simply nothing physically imposing about this guy. They took Leto's Joker (I assume that's what some people think is 'hip') and gave him a Korean twist. Or perhaps was inspired by something of Korean culture that I have no idea and I won't assume that I do. I just know it has no place resting next to Michael Myers on the killer selection screen.

At least if you're going to make a lanky pop star a killer in the game take some inspiration from someone in real life who some might actually find threatening like Watkin Tudor Jones.

• Kolossoni
    Kolossoni Member Posts: 371
    Options

That still doesn't justify why the new killer is getting all the hate especially being "K-POP" (AKA pretty boy look) influenced.

Leatherface, Ghostface, Legion, Pig and Myers are all general human beings with nothing magical about them.

The only difference is that they all hide their mugs in some hideous, grotesque masks that cover their faces.

They could look like models for all we know.

My point is.

Just because the new killer is a pretty boy and doesn't have some Halloween mask like the other human killers doesn't make him unfit for the franchise.

I like his story and motif. He is a ruthless killer.

It's DEAD by daylight

not SCARED by daylight.

• Lambda
    Lambda Member Posts: 105
    Options

Mate, we've departed from super gritty horror exclusive train station YEARS ago, just take a look at the outfits that have came up like the Clown's Mr.Puddles, that cowboy outfit for Jake, and those onesies that came out a few months back.

• Mozzie
    edited March 2021
    Options

You miss my point entirely. If the killer isn't physically threatening on their own why not just have lollipop chainsaw as a killer? There's no reason to not add slenderman and FNAF in the game anymore because the requirements to be considered a killer is not saving your friends from a fire....followed by some more inane backstory.

When your next best option for killer is a K-pop star your horror franchise is in trouble.

• Mozzie
    edited March 2021
    Options

And whose fault is that? As long as players keep saying yes with their time and their wallets you keep inciting these fools to make dumber and dumber things. It's annoying to see a game with a lot of potential be turned into what it is today. It's a shame.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939
    Options

I spit out my drink lol'ing at this

They should have made the Killer Michael Flatley in a leopard print catsuit. It would be terrifying lol

• ChainsawsChickenNBBQ
    ChainsawsChickenNBBQ Member Posts: 68
    Options

I'd have rather had a Michael Jackson Thriller zombie that breakdances after you... Sorry, not a kpop "stan" and don't think those are the player base that's gonna be attracted to the game...

• CryptFriend
    CryptFriend Member Posts: 416
    Options

A-Amanda's pretty.

I mean, I thought she was pretty in the films.

Lots of the killers are remarkably close to regular folks though, and the beauty therein is subjective, I guess.

My main problem with the bright colors on the killer is blending in from a distance--how will I cross the map in the open and surprise survivors whe--oh, wait. Nevermind.

In all seriousness, I think he's fine. I don't like him, but I don't have to. I'll still buy him, of course, but the point still stands.

• Mozzie
    Options

If we were making video games vs real life monsters it'd be a boring bit of content. Clearly there are customers out there that'll chew up this garbage. Those of us that helped build this house for the horror franchises to rest in got seriously catfished. Enjoy those lollipop sticks.

• Kolossoni
    Options

Sure.

And you can go back to being infatuated by grotesque monsters and their mangled faces...

• ZenithZX
    ZenithZX Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2021
    Options

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on this whole thing. People say the guy doesn't look scary, but if you were looking this man in the eye while he mutilated you, the sheer malice coming from him and horror of realizing you are about to die makes him the most terrifying thing to you in that moment.

Also on the topic of physically weak-looking killers, the female Legion members are even smaller than him, yet they can lift up people; pretty sure the lore explains the Entity empowered them to do things they couldn't normally do so physicality is irrelavent.

• Kolossoni
    Options

Exactly.

It's also a great criticism of Korean pop culture always promoting perfect looks but never actually looking into one's intentions and personality.

It's absolutely childish and immature to judge someone by their looks.

Many of the roster in the survivor category seem like they wouldn't survive versing the killers in a single night. Yet they canonically manage.

People need to grow up and see the bigger picture.

• Naptroy
    Naptroy Member Posts: 7
    Options

I personally find him terrifying because of the monster living inside of the smiling, winking K-Pop boy. He makes music out of people screaming. Effing screaming!

• siren_sorceress
    siren_sorceress Member Posts: 321
    Options

A lot of people were very disappointed with elephant costume winning lol. I'm not a fan of the SH bunnies either.

• robotron
    robotron Member Posts: 41
    Options

The problem I have with this character is they made him as a joke killer. People try and compare this to skins and things like that but the skins were made for characters who are made to be scary. That is why its funny in the first place. You have a terrifying character but then have him running around in a small hat but without that skin his main personality is terrifying.

On the other hand, the trickster`s main personality is made for laughs. The way he walks, his clothing, his mori which is a bit animeish and I mean he even winks at you while you are waiting for a match... Even watching him use his ability is funny and I can`t help get the feeling that I am being chased by that Valorant character who throws knives. That to me is why I feel like he is out of place. That and I feel like they are doing this to cash in on Kpop fans and the large Korean player base.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977
    Options

Charles Manson killed people.. Does that mean we should put him in DBD? Bill & Dwight killed people, should they be a Killer then?

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649
    Options

Omg this looks soo bad. I swear if they revealed this in April I would’ve thought it was an April fools joke. What were they thinking? I agree with the people who say they did this to attract kpop fans and Koreans. They’re desperate for new players.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited March 2021
    Options

One of my buds, who is a professional paramedic who regularly does Psych transports put it this way:

"This dude is the most realistic serial killer in the entire cast. Someone hit it out of the park with the design. He needs an idle animation where he is annoyed or irritated but once you start messing with his cosmetics to rotate him he perks up and starts posing. You neeeeeeed to pay attention to him. He has to be the focus, or he’ll die in his head. Without attention, he dies.

He’s the artist, he’s the star. The show does not exist without him. He is the show, the beginning and the end. He is the sun-king."

This guy doesn't play DBD, but he messaged me to ask if I had thoughts on Ji-Woon Hak (he called him by name) because he was so amped about the design, probably because it speaks to him on a very real level because he deals with real world psychos who look totally normal but will say they are going to murder you or bite themselves until they bleed sitting in the ambulance.

• CriticalWeasel
    CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378
    Options

At least this killer doesn’t have breathing problems like all the others.

Boom roasted,

• robotron
    Options

I don`t know, I have worked in drug rehabilitation and have seen some pretty messed up stuff but I would be way more terrified if I had to face a dream demon or even a regular demon. Like you said though, its personal opinion.

As far as people criticizing others hard work, people have a right to critique their work when you put a price tag on it and try to sell it to them.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Options

But I have gotten all of their original content for free with shards. you pay for originals because you like them and don't want to wait to farm shards. If you don't like it, you can get it for free.

• robotron
    Options

The killer`s aren`t free though. You are investing a lot of time saving up shards just to get those characters. But lets say they were free and you didn`t have to spend time getting them. Did you use shards to buy the base game? Because this killer is going to be a new edition to the game if you like it or not and I think that gives the right for people to say if its good or not.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Options

Lol, i actually got the base game for free on the play station plus monthly games several years ago. Got all the original killers with shards and got the licenced killers for a total of $30 during sales. I know some people spend hundreds, but I don't think they should feel so entitled to dictate how the game should be developed since they chose to spend that money (not you specifically, just the community in general)

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Don't really understand how he isn't horror enough for some people.

The dude looks like an absolute psycho.

I would turn tail and run if i saw this guy in a dark alley

• TalesIsSad
    TalesIsSad Member Posts: 6
    Options

True but like we already have some stuff like that. For example theres: The Legion, Mr Puddles skin and Bunny Feng. This game isn't horror anymore so I wouldn't really mind having more killers like him. Plus he looks like Joker or some Serial killer.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429
    Options

To be fair, DbD never aimed to be (and never strikes as) scary, at all.

I'm fine with what we've got.

There's already a lot of joke cosmetics and stuff, it's not like this is horrendously bad for the game, it's about diversity.

• Lefrongo
    Lefrongo Member Posts: 120
    Options

There's another argument to this take though, even though you can make legion wear bunny suits, clown wearing the elephan suit and more for other survivors and killers is that those are not default clothes given to the players, those are just optional cosmetics people can get.

• XombieRocker
    XombieRocker Member Posts: 324
    Options

He is so boring.

He's just a guy. Just a guy with yellow eyes.

At least Myers and Legion have masks. It makes them somewhat intimidating.

Legion has been dethroned as most visually boring Killer all hail the new king of boring looking Killers!

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576
    Options

Nah after this killer it Will be the most scary killer in horror history

My little pony

• DropdeadPiggy
    DropdeadPiggy Member Posts: 155
    Options

I see you're new here you should've seen the thread a few days ago.

• N0IDEA
    N0IDEA Member Posts: 149
    Options
  • N0IDEA
    Options

Sasaeng, stalkers and usuall ######### life at Korea can and have been themes of a lot of very dark works

Like Perfect Blue. The devs just made the killer the idol, what was a mistake.

• N0IDEA
    Options

I don't see the point. Is "UwU cutie" pop vibes, like every slasher once did with comedy or similar

DBD is build after slasher movies that aren't even terror

• SaintDorks
    SaintDorks Member Posts: 252
    Options

Why does he use a bat? A Mic stand would be better.

• krugerisreal_666
    krugerisreal_666 Member Posts: 6
    Options

watch perfect blue.....that's all I got to say.

• Raja
    Raja Member Posts: 319
    Options

This game is only a horror game for the clown role

The mechanic role it is like triathlon minigame in gta v

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841
    Options

The community: This killer doesn't belong here, he's not scary, KPOP doesn't belong in DBD

Also, the same community: omg i want myers to ######### me, i want him to break me, daddy..

good thing i never take this community seriously

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464
    edited March 2021
    Options

Since when do cowboys 'fit' the horror theme? Deathslinger is also very different. Trickster is the fruit of IRL idol worship pushed to the extreme. He's a more flashy Patrick Bateman that actually managed to stand out from his fellow Vice Presidents and goes a step further and uses his victims' screams for his singles. I suppose Kpop is something people don't associate with horror, but I feel like in a way, the way the people in that industry are basically 'owned' by corporations, we have a very real horror story that simply not often talked about.

I like it. It's different and makes for an interesting take on a narcissistic man gone too far. I also like that the survivor is an absolute scumbag compared to others. This chapter kind of challenges what we see as the norm of the genre to a degree. I can respect that.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Options

The only homophobic thing here is insinuating that anybody will purple hair and stupid clothes a homosexual. Neither the devs nor any sensible person gives 32 shits about whose pants he wants to get in.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited March 2021
    Options

Well, horror is subjective. His story is pretty disturbing, and his aesthetic of the murderous madonna attention ######### is certainly an unexplored trope. Horror isn't just body mutilation and shiny weapons, after all. Horror has a bunch of teens with masks that a preschooler made, a lady with a pig mask, a literal clown (figuratively and physically), a Russian furry who throws axes, and a skinny queen other dimensional monster whose face I'm not going to even try to describe, all of whom you can drop pallets on and T-bag.

DBD is not horror, it's a slasher game. As long as there's violence and disturbing stories, it fits the bill.