Unspoken Dbd Rules

I was just thinking about all the little nuanced communications in the game and the sort of etiquette the community has formed.

I just learned about the Pig snoot booping, so I was wondering how many more things like that there are. (i.e. If I kobe off last hook, you HAVE to give me hatch, waving your arms around while hooked to let people know it's safe, etc)

Comments

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

What is pig snoot booping?

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

When she is crouched and the survivors crouch up to her and tap her snoot (nose). It would make for a casual game before I went throught the process of learning nurse. Now I tear through everything that moves, snoots, breaths, stinks, sweats, unhooks, or repairs a gen. ;)

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Your problem is you spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas. All we had was what we could take and defend.

• Fuzzels
    Fuzzels Member Posts: 449

Not really. Some killers will respect a kobe, others dont care. Some pigs like boops, some dont. Also the wave your arms to say its safe is kinda silly.. back in 2016/2017 you waved your arms to signal that a killer was camping, generally with insidious because thats all it was used for. Hooked in a jungle gym, killer insidious right around the corner, you waved to warn people to stay away. Then console players got ahold of the game and decided that waving was to signal its safe. And now its entirely mixed and no one can make up their minds.

• KiwiCoattails
    KiwiCoattails Member Posts: 566

It can mean different things.

If I’m not running Kindred, I wave my arms when nobody is coming to get me. And I see most other survivors doing the same.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

It does not have a meaning anymore. It was originally used for what @hatchking has written, if the Killer is camping, wave your arms. But as you see in OPs post, they thought it means the entire opposite.

And because of that, I wave my arms when I am camped (nothing else to do), but I dont really pay any attention what other are doing, since most of them are not being camped. It has no meaning anymore, so I dont interpret it as camping or not camping.

• KiwiCoattails
    edited March 2021

I interpret it as “nobody is coming to get me” and 9/10 that’s what it means. At least it does in my games lol. If nobody is heading for me and I start waving, somebody normally gets off a gen to get me. So they understand why I’m waving my arms. I also leave my gen if somebody is on a hook and after a while start waving their arms as I’m assuming they’re asking for somebody to get them.

• fray1919
    fray1919 Member Posts: 199

I've never understood this one...if the killer is looking at you and you're waving your arms to signal camping, the camping killer will go "Oh, he's signaling, let me hide and camp." If you're staying still to signal camping, the killer doesn't know if you're signaling or not, and waving your arms when he's (apparently) not around doesn't let the killer know that you're signaling.

It doesn't matter to me, because it's obviously not standard practice one way or another, but I've always found the "wave your arms if you're being camped" to seem backwards.

I usually use my waving to type in Morse Code, but I don't think most people speak it so it's not helpful. :(

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

If I wave my arms three people jump up to come save me so I don't wave my arms anymore.

There's etiquette which usually follows you match to match if you don't teabag, blind killer, do do gens and be altruistic all in a healthy balance but sometimes etiquette is boring. I want the ruthless nurse or huntress after awhile tbh.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

This! I hate when people use it as a, "Come get me off the hook" thing and then are pissed when I don't come save them cuz I'm assuming they're getting camped.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

A number of Pig players like myself (not ALL Pig players, though -- so attempting to boop can be dangerous in certain circumstances) respect the boop, which as stated, is crouching in front of the Pig and pointing. If you're doing it and The Pig you're playing approaches you crouched in return and is growling without ambush attacking, they're likely good to go to boop.

If you're dead to rights and try to boop, that might get you a second chance, or even a hatch or a door. If you play against me and you boop, I'll let you live, no matter how many gens are left, or even if it's the entire team (who I'll farm with). Piggie is one of the only killers who you can get away with this, and when I play, she's the only killer that I tend to have genuinely fun, unexpected moments.

A lot of new players don't know about it -- here's a Claudette that was the final survivor (and who I was ready to let go) who didn't quite understand what I wanted her to do, lol. 🤣

• Ni7rogen
    Ni7rogen Member Posts: 80

The rules can vary a lot and it's really annoying, waving your arms while hooked can be consideres you're being camped or be free to be picked, dropping your items being the last survivor and being in a chase is a signal for mercy, sometimes just crouching and facing up, it is funny, some Pig likes snoot booping, which I include myself, if the killer moves swiftly their camera and swings his weapon while being carried and you're wiggling, asks to stop wiggling because they're giving you the hatch.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

That's not what it's supposed to mean. I see waving i don't go until I decide I need to take the heat and try to save.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967
  • KiwiCoattails

It might not have originally meant that, but that’s what it means now. So I just rolled with the changes.

• Mistercookie
    Mistercookie Member Posts: 147

The absolute rule would be to give back some teabags when a fellow survivor teabags you to say hi or thank you.

Absolute.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I had a Killer slugged me for 4min because I tried to save a teammate by sabo hook (only 2 survivors left with 2 Gen). Killer told me I was toxic.

I had survivors told me a was toxic just because I play a normal game as Spirit (no slug no camp to tunnel). I asked back what did I do but there was no answer.

• thrawn3054

That's absolutely not what it means. People using it wrong doesn't change the actual meaning.

• KiwiCoattails

I mean, it does. If more people are now using it to signal that nobody is going for the save, it is what it is. I rarely see anybody using it to warn about the killer camping. 👀

• thrawn3054
  • KiwiCoattails

Well I haven’t had to worry about that yet and I haven’t seen a person go into struggle who were waving their arms as somebody got the save.

• malatruse
    malatruse Member Posts: 784

Along with all the game mechanics and vocabulary you have to learn for this game, there are all sorts of unspoken meanings behind gestures and actions. Clicking a flashlight a few times usually means the survivor wants you to follow them, for instance.

• fray1919
    fray1919 Member Posts: 199

I'm sorry you're playing an old game. I hope someone invents a time machine to go back to 2017 when your knowledge was useful. The rest of us communicate just fine.

• Tank
    Tank Member Posts: 63

The Kobe doesn't mean anything, you're never entitled to an escape or a hook/kill of you're Killer. I will personally give you a small head start either out of amusement or because I'm dumbfounded, but I'm still closing the hatch and killing you if I find it first.

There is only two actual unspoken rules. The first and most important, which is very rarely followed by either side, is that you have to treat the opponent kindly and without feelings of anger or hate. As if you're playing a video game with each other.

And the second is that if you're being picked up as the last Survivor alive and the Killer is not moving at all or if you're body blocked by a Killer with an instant down (Bubba, Angry Oni, etc) and he's not just killing you, then he's (probably) trying to start a very limited conversation or activity with you. At that point if you escape the shoulder and/or do puppy eyes, then he'll likely play with you for a bit and farm some points together. Maybe give you the hatch, but that's an in the moment decision between you two.

• dirtsmell
    dirtsmell Member Posts: 46
  • HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

T bagging fellow Survivors can mean Hello or Thank You.

If you really want to say thanks to a Killer after a match, you drop your item in front of them 'giving' it to them.

Nodding your head is more often BM than t bagging.

While Killers can easily show they want to farm (EX: hitting a gen, letting themselves get stunned), Survivors almost never get their point across doing the same.

A Trapper or Hag standing still mid chase is sometimes more scary than Spirit doing the same (just me? idk lol).

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 234

Love doing this as The Pig, but is it considered rude to play normally afterwards? Like if I can get at least 2 or 3 Survivors to boop, then I start playing seriously.

• chargernick85

I never played serious after until I learned nurse. My heart will never heal from that and every survivor I play better bring there A game because I have never played this tryhard until now. I have never been able to slug and watch for 4 minutes and now i'll grab a piece of cheesecake and smile at you crawl. Mmm GOOD.

• SentinelCaptain

Well I meant more as in actually putting an effort into the match and not playing for the meme after I get it out of the way.

• chargernick85

Oh I see. Honestly I always followed to survivors lead on it. I never went looking to do it was more when 1 or 2 survivors had died, or dc/suicides. Not right at beginning of game never did that. if they do it at beginning you should play normally (well the rules say always play normally).

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

You are talking about the survivor rulebook for killers.

• SentinelCaptain

Yeah, I would always try to get boop first, then once most of them had, I would go away for a bit then start actively playing the match, but if nobody would then I'd play normal from the getgo.

• Volfgang57
    Volfgang57 Member Posts: 369

In addition to the "stop wiggling" thing, if you've already given up and the killer notices you're not wiggling sometimes they will stop and "shimmy" side to side, basically telling you to wiggle. If they do this and stay still and let you stun them you should stay and follow them. Most times they'll let you escape in some fashion (the hatch or allowing you to open the door)

Had a game a couple days ago where a Killer was doing this to a Claudette that was the last person alive (I was spectating) and the Killer kept downing them, picking them up, and carrying them a super long distance, passing numerous hooks and such, obviously trying to give them the hatch. The Claudette must've been new though because they escaped 4 times and kept running away, and the killer kept downing them. Poor Claudette never got the hint that the Killer was trying to take them somewhere specific and to just wait, so eventually the Killer stopped trying and the next down, hooked them immediately

• Pat00tSack
    Pat00tSack Member Posts: 72

Welp everything I know is a lie

• FattiePoobum
    FattiePoobum Member Posts: 293

For me

lf the opposite side is stuck because of a bug.

Try and help them free themselves if you can and let them go.

• Volfgang57

I had a person get stuck in a closet once and tried to help them get out. Some weird thing happened when I hit them as they went into the closet and they got pushed to the backside of the closet, but that was against a wall, so the got trapped in between the wall and closet. I could open the closet and see them, but because it was "empty" I couldn't grab them. Tried to quickly finish the game and they were a good sport and hung out the whole time, so at the very end I tried smacking them to get them out but never could. Had to kill them with the end game collapse and I apologized because I know how much that sucks, but they were cool with it

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,211

How is anyone supposed to know it means "I'm being camped"? That's incredibly unintuitive.

• MaviKus
    MaviKus Member Posts: 38

the arm flailing on hook. does that mean, "come get me" or "don't come get me the killer is nearby"?

• Volfgang57

Used to be "Don't come" like several years ago, but the universal meaning has been lost a long time ago, so it doesn't really mean anything anymore

• MaviKus
    MaviKus Member Posts: 38

thanks, I started playing dbd last June or July and there seemed to be mixed interpretations so I never flailed my arms myself to avoid confusion. a former friend of mine said he does this out of boredom, guess some people do that too

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,757

This second part absolutely. If I'm soloing and my team gets wreaked with several gens to go and I did decent but am now alone, I will attempt to negotiate.

I don't run if near the killer, and if healthy they nearly always give me a smack. I don't move. Now they will either pop me again, or not move either. If I'm carrying anything it's gently placed down for an offering, and the killer decides what to do.

Now I might go for a short trip to a hook, a longer fieldtrip to the hatch maybe on a shoulder maybe together, or be allowed to open a door and leave.

I give them one bow and yeet on out. This happens many more times than I have a right to even pray for.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

Through the grapevine. Lol. That's how I learned about it.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited March 2021

Okay folks, calm down. i think the OP understands there are no rules.

However, there are little memes this community has developed that even some of the most hardcore among us dip in. I for one am a sucker for a pig snoot boop.

It's fallen out of favor, but occasionally you'll find an OG who still does this. In the first year of this game, there was something Admiral Bahroo used to do, and that was what he called the "Basement Lottery"

The idea is to take the last survivor into the basement if there's a chest left unopened in it. You smack the chest repeatedly till the survivor you're carrying takes the hint and wiggles off. Survivor then gets to open the chest for free to decide their fate.

if it's anything but a flashlight, smack the survivor down and put them on a basement hook. If its' a flashlight, bob your head up and down and let them blind you, then go help them find the hatch as they just won the lottery.

I've both won and lost this lottery in the past as a survivor, but I could never find a survivor who understood my intention when I've tried this myself - so I kinda gave up after awhile.

• Amy095
    Amy095 Member Posts: 96

Can we burn this thread along with the survivor handbook that all killers must follow?

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥