Does Freddy need balance

kamisen
kamisen Member Posts: 794

I remember the devs talking about Freddy overperforming in terms of kill ratio. Are they going to look at him in terms of balance?

Do you think he should be tweaked, and if so, how?

Comments

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Boring? Yeah

Overpowered? No

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

No he's nowhere near as strong as people make him out to be, he isn't even the strongest killer.

I think there should be a fair trade off however with his terror radius/lullaby. Camping freddys shouldn't be able to ignore BT just by existing and object of obsession shouldn't complete negate any and all mindgames against him via wallhacks.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

Id say minor nerf but nothing major. Id like him knocked down to pyramid head level (which is already pretty close) and have killers put at about that level overall

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,505

I think if he got a longer cooldown on his teleport and less starting snares he would be fine

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,772

In my opinion he does, and this is from someone who mained him since he rework to Pyramid Head's release.

He has too much given to him passively, having to do very little in terms of actual gameplay, which can make it feel very mindless to play and to face.

I hope they give him some small changes to help balance him out instead of absolutely gutting him, though; I may have moved on, but I still have a soft spot for my boi.

• kamisen

That's a very nice way to put it. How would you add skill to his kit?

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Personally id rather they don't touch him because I remember very clearly the Freddy that released. The one that was the weakest killer in the game, got nerfed anyway after release and stayed that way for 2 years before his rework.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

I think the only change is needed is to remove his ability to put to sleep with a simple hit.. it makes clocks worth nothing. And illusory pallets unavoidable.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,442

Against solos? Probably.

Against teams and/or survivors with 1k hours? Every killer is garbage except for nurse.

• Blueberry

No one is disagreeing that his skill requirement is much lower than the other top tier killers, but that wasn't the question.

"1- He can teleport to the main survivor objectives without setting down or activate portals. This also makes half of his power useless in the late game."

Requires a cast time, tells the entire team he's using it and shows the person at the gen he's coming. What's the issue?

"2- His most effective addons are boring % penalties to actions and the ones that could be hun (fake pallets ex:) are gimmicky."

As I said, boring, but not OP

"3- Survivors are passively falling asleep. There is no way for Freddy to accelerate that besides hitting them. There is no way to slow that down, only wake up by going to the other side of the map."

Uhh literally just failing a skill check or clapping a teammate wakes them up. You aren't forced to the other side of the map.

"IMO, he needs change."

Nothing you mentioned points out a need for change.

• e_j2007
    e_j2007 Member Posts: 130

as much as i love playing as freddy, ill admit he's kinda powerful. i could live in a world with a nerfed freddy, but i wouldnt want to

• kamisen

I agree that the timer versus the hit mechanic makes little sense.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

The question was: Does Freddy needs Balance? I gave my answer as to why he needs it. His gameplay is stale, shallow, and effective.

1-Demo is the only one with a similar teleport and also "requires casting time, tells the entire team he's using it, and shows close-by people that the portal is opening" and it's still required to setup. Also, have you read the second sentence? No other killer that loses half of their power upon reaching late game.

2-Freddy has the highest kill rate among all roster and is the 4th in pick rate (behind 2 free-to-play killers). Can you show me official data that corroborates your statement that he is not OP?

3-Oh yes, bc it takes 2 failed skill checks to stay awake for the time it takes to fix a generator. 20% penalty that is equal to 16 seconds penalty while alerting the killer twice. When his best addon applies 8% and his second-best applies 4%. Sure, you seem to have quite the experience playing against him.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,659

No, and this comes from someone who has mained him since the last Winter Solstice event, prior to his rework.

Freddy is not as strong as most people say he is. His add-ons could use some changes, especially those who used to be strong and became useless (I am looking at you, Pill Bottle). But his power is perfectly fine. 

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

In my mind a few small tweaks.

Passive sleep timer paused in terror radius or chase. This can reward players that are awake and it sucks when your looping freddy and not getting hit, just to fall asleep and be subject to snares/pallets. Not to mention if he was in the real world and you knew he was nearby adrenaline would kick in and keep you awake, so it makes sense in terms of realism.

Wake up mechanic, i like the designated alarm clock and wouldnt change that, but i would allow a wake up without any extra immunity at any unhighlighted alarm clock but maybe up the time it takes to like 5 seconds to make sure its not an option during chase.

• Blueberry

"The question was: Does Freddy needs Balance? I gave my answer as to why he needs it. His gameplay is stale, shallow, and effective."

Balance refers to level of strength, weak vs strong, not stale, shallow, boring etc. That would be design.

"1-Demo is the only one with a similar teleport and also "requires casting time, tells the entire team he's using it, and shows close-by people that the portal is opening" and it's still required to setup. Also, have you read the second sentence? No other killer that loses half of their power upon reaching late game."

And Demo is considered by most to be weak. Yes he loses his teleport in end game, that's part of its drawback. What's the issue?

"2-Freddy has the highest kill rate among all roster and is the 4th in pick rate (behind 2 free-to-play killers). Can you show me official data that corroborates your statement that he is not OP?"

Their data is highly flawed by a multitude of factors to being near worthless. Are you gonna tell me Nurse is the weakest killer in the game because she has the lowest kill rate by that same data?

"3-Oh yes, bc it takes 2 failed skill checks to stay awake for the time it takes to fix a generator. 20% penalty that is equal to 16 seconds penalty while alerting the killer twice. When his best addon applies 8% and his second-best applies 4%. Sure, you seem to have quite the experience playing against him."

Do you realize how unequal the objective times are between each side? They have the time. Also, being asleep really isn't that big of a deal which is why most ignore it. The penalty is also 8%, not 10. I probably have a lot more experience than you think I do.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

@Blueberry

Balance and design are intertwined and if you want to keep those black and white, then there is no purpose in this discussion. Freddy was redesigned and reworked bc he was previously ineffective/unfun to play as or against.

1-The issue is that Freddy's new kit does a lot for him passively and effectively and I stand by this point. Also, look at the design gap that was left with his rework. All of his perks are supposed to build into this powerful late-game unstoppable monster only for him to lose his mobility?

2- Quantitative data is objective, the knowledge one extrapolates from it is not, just like the Nurse fallacy you tried to pull out. I'll try to illustrate the adequate logical negative for you. The opposite of the statement "IF a killer has high kill rate AND high pick rate THEN they are an effective killer" is "IF a killer is not effective THEN they do have low kill rates OR low pick rates". Guess what? One of the two free killers that I mentioned that are more popular than Freddy is Nurse, which still holds my statement as true.

3- "If they fail a Skill Check, the Generator will explode and lose 10 % of the maximum Repair progress. In addition, during 3 seconds, no further progression will register." Official source - https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Generators#Skill_Checks. Yes, you seem to have a lot of experience.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

I'm not a fan of his power because it's just pumping everything on steroids; he doesn't have a niche.

EG, clown can shut down loops well, spirit is mindgame city, hag is a literal hackerman, huntress has range, and bubba has instadown capacity. Freddy has map pressure with his gen teleport, slowdown with slowdown addons, anti-loop capacities with the blood pools, and even pretty decent camping potential since the lullaby overrides borrowed time. He feels relatively unfun to play just because of that lack of nuance.

In other words, it's not fun spamming 20 blood puddles to slow them to 0% movement speed. It feels like you're trying to brute force your way to the end.

• Baxe
    Baxe Member Posts: 23

just some adjustment that dont make it a pure hell to deal with him as solo survivor

• TomBomb
    TomBomb Member Posts: 14

I think he needs a few tweaks for sure. Nothing major but he just feels very boring to play as and against

• Timo__R
    Timo__R Member Posts: 21

He is overpowered, even the Devs know that and they barely know what is going on

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
  • pandorayr
    pandorayr Member Posts: 603

Reduction to the movement speed when replace false pallets or traps.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    edited March 2021

The problem with minor nerfs to Freddie is that it doesn't change the core problem with him. He's a measuring stick for survivors. There's a certain amount of efficiency a team of survivors need to have to win against him regardless of how good Freddie is. As much as people say it takes no skill to win as Freddie, the truth is that it takes no skill to defeat him either. Nerfing him just lowers the amount of efficiency on the survivor's side required to beat Freddie. Worst case it's just another nerf that makes him annoying to play so only a select few still play him but his strength is still there.

• spiritsLeftball
    spiritsLeftball Member Posts: 173

Freddy is the one that ruined undying ruin (no pun intended) for all the other killers.

the problem actually lies with the people who play as Freddy as they are generally just psychos.

• Blueberry

If you say they barely know what's going on then that would lean you to believe they are wrong in this circumstance as well.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

He's far from overpowered but he'd definitely be better off with some nerfs and buffs in the right areas to make him at least somewhat interesting to play because right now he's the most basic cookie-cutter killer in the game and not enjoyable in the slightest because everything he does just works with no limitations of any kind, and requires no thought or planning ahead, which makes him a very boring killer.

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 234

I'd be fine with some skill check based way to work around his dream snares, if he drops one at both exit gates you're kinda screwed, especially if the hatch has already been closed.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
  • Shirtless_Myers
    Shirtless_Myers Member Posts: 372

I would say that Freddy is OP, but a SWF can still beat him out by pure efficiency with their objectives and coordination through coms.

What really should happen is some buffs and changes for solo queue because right now any killer will seem overly strong when the skill level is all over the place and nobody can coordinate properly.

SWF > Killer >> Solo queue

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited March 2021

No one said he just needs brains instead.

Surprised.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

Yes I think minor touch would be appropriate, deleting the killer from the game.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,311

I don't care either way, I just hope he gets nerfed so I don't have to see him as much as I currently do.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Overperforming is a huge understatement. With the hatch available, he kills a mind-blowing 3 out of 4 every game at red ranks. The gates are almost never done.

Heavy nerfs desperately needed, he should really lose the teleporting to gens because it's unfair, no sleeping on a very short timer. Setting snares should slow him down to do it. He is the only killer with no cooldowns, it's like a bug they conveniently refused to fix to give him an unfair advantage.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

Imo they just need to get rid of passive sleep build up.

• Kazim
    Kazim Member Posts: 229

Freddy is a very strong killer because it is very easy to use for anyone, when I go against a freddy he is one of the few killers that as a survivor I fear, swf are very strong teams and to make a very strong killer weaker I don't know I'm getting tired to be a killer with so many nerfs to the killers one of these days there will be one less main killer in the queques.