I feel like this game is ruining my mental health...

I think this is the first time and the last time i quit a match as killer and actually saying sorry to the survivors that i cant be arsed to deal with this game anymore and they actually understood where i was coming from between the game on the verge of effecting my mental state or health with the amount of toxic BS i deal with as a killer or survivor or between the fact i play casual and chill to wind then have to go full mega sweaty and the fact matchmaking is just a massive mess that i cant get any were as survivor because im always against rank 1 killers same goes for killer im just done i actually had uninstalled this game i used to enjoy playing this game then it slowly became worse and worse to the point i just wanted to grind out challenges and that just became hopeless to do and with the new killer and survivor coming this month i just wanted to casually chill while doing getting blood points not having to bash my head into my desk

Comments

• Raze_snep
    Raze_snep Member Posts: 4

Not in that sense im not a toxic person when i played this game i always said GGwp,was fun etc etc but lately i feel the game is like making become slightly toxic but this game is just getting to me

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437

yeah i understand, this game can get under your skin in ways other games can't lol. you can always come back to it after a break. take care of yourself first.

• jester20k
    jester20k Member Posts: 827

Play survivor and make some swf friends. It's way more chill. Sure, killers will camp and tunnel, but I find that to be a characteristic of them sucking. Killer is a lot more difficult to chill, even when im doing something dumb, not trying because of a challenge, etc, there is usually someone in that game that picks a fight with me and tries to bully me, it gets your blood going for sure, but just remember it's nothing personal, they're just an idiot that probably has a super terrible real life and needs an outlet. Then I kill them.

• NoPressure22
    NoPressure22 Member Posts: 15

As other people have said, this game has a unique effect that it can do to your mind. Whenever this happens to me, and believe me it does, I try to play another game or if you have been a fan of this game for a while then try watching videos on YouTube. Seeing other people sharing the same experiences on YouTube about dbd may help a little and possibly offer you a personal restart for your brain towards this game.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,112

It's mostly the players that get to you. And I'm not gonna ask you to quit. Just play less, like shorter sessions.

• Raze_snep
    Raze_snep Member Posts: 4

Thanks for all the pats on the backs everyone i have been taking a break from dbd and moved to focus on warframe and destiny 2 and other not so hateful games xD

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

Funny how DBD, a “party game”, can inflict this much of stress to a state of affecting mental health...

Good luck to you. Hope you can recover from it soon.

• YourNightmare
    YourNightmare Member Posts: 164

I guess DbD has this effect on many ppl, even if they are sane. I have many friends that went into huge rage while playing this game.

DbD is frustrating because the gameplay features are broken, nothing feels fair for anyone as it is not fair at all.

It's a low skill high reward game and could be compared to pubstomp whichever side you play on.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

The best thing to do might be to stop playing altogether. Otherwise take breaks. If I start getting tilted I stop playing for the day. If I'm getting really tilted in general it'll be a several week break and I'll switch to some nice single player games, usually a paradox one or hitman. The rift can make it harder to keep away but your health is more important than a crappy recolour on a character you don't play as.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Other people have said it well above, the Moderator in particular. I'm in a video mood on Saturdays so I'm giving you an appropriate one to this game and your situation. Just bear in mind this isn't me being snide or trying to trigger you. In this case I think you KNOW what is best for you, so just do it:

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727

Ah, with me I'm just addicted to it. Averaging around 40 hours per week according to my play history (that's around 5 hours daily).

Luckily, my University has been dealing with the Pandemic terribly and we're not allowed to go back still (even with our local guidelines now saying that we can and should.)

So there's not much else to do...

• Xayrlen
    Xayrlen Member Posts: 329

Then stop playing it, if it's bad for you.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

I have struggled with my mental health for a big part of my life and when I'm having a bad spell a break from games like this is much needed as they can tip you over the edge.

It myn't sound lame but Instead of playing this I usually put some relaxing music on and play Sims 4 and build and decorate houses. For some reason I find it very calming.

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

Games can be unfun and the YT community really pushes a lot of Toxic attitudes. If you are in your late 20's like me, it can be a pain trying to wind down but you get to eat ######### instead. Hope you can find the light side of this dark game if you ever want to enjoy it again.

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

I can't even... how do you post this and somehow make it sound like the nice guy thing to do? OMEGA LUL

• TrevorLahey93
    TrevorLahey93 Member Posts: 170

No video game is worth messing with your mental health. Stop playing fool, find something else.

• TrevorLahey93
    TrevorLahey93 Member Posts: 170

Only a fool would keep doing something that's hurting their mental health

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,765

This is where we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

If someone is struggling with mental health issues, don't insult them. That's not how you help them and it's how you make literally everything worse.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

There is a word your forgetting... its called addiction, no matter how much you hate it, no matter how much you try to break free, it will come back to trap you, once that happens your reminded your its servant. Its hard to break from something you enjoy but at the same time don't.

You have the right mindset, as someone who struggles with some mental issues, its not funny, its sick. It actually encourages them to hurt themselves more.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,765

rather unfortunately i think it's cause my mental health is through the floor too so i know what you should and shouldn't do most of the time haha

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

Well then I guess you and I have a lot more in common then I thought lol

• PotatoPlayer
    PotatoPlayer Member Posts: 102

I'm sorry you're finding it taxing OP. Ever since I started lurking this forum, I've seen one or two threads like these and it makes me feel bad as a survivor main that killers get bm'd a lot.

I'd offer to play survivor with you, if you ever wanna play on the other side again! I honestly really like playing survivor and find it fun with friends. I play in the yellow ranks and it's not very sweaty, things are relatively normal and I don't expect much in any game. It's nice to have that mentality, plus normal camaderie with SWF.

In between DbD, I play FFXIV, and between survivor queues, I play Tetris 99 and Animal Crossing, I'd agree having other games is healthy. I'd prioritize what makes you feel good, games or not!

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

This game is a good outlet for rage/anger. Once you give way to depression, then I'd say you've got a problem.. boy howdy.

• kyogul
    kyogul Member Posts: 491

People really have poor exposure to other games if they think DBD is the most toxic, let alone amongst the most toxic communities.

This game has no built in voice chat, and be played to pretty much its full extent (especially killer) without needing voice chat in any capacity. On top of that you can disable end game chat to block out any sort of potential toxicity you would get.

Try going to a game like Rainbow Six, or really any other like Valorant where it is detrimental to play pub games without voice chat, and even if you choose not to speak even more detrimental if you choose to mute everyone. The toxicity is like DBD amplified by ten, on top of more prominent sexism and other isms, and is rather unavoidable. I pity women who play FPS games since they are harassed incessantly, and people in general who play FPS games regularly.

DBD has its problems and should be called out accordingly regardless of what other games are like but people really romanticise the communities of other games when in fact many others are worse.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

I can speak from own experience.

I haven't played DBD in almost a year, quit after silent hill dlc I believe.

I was literally addicted to DBD, I would play at least 2-4 hours a day, having over 1700 hours, and it was ruining my mental health.

I was having nightmares of the game, and stress attacks because any minor inconvenience was to much for me.

I haven't played since, but I do love checking the new of dlcs and new content, I would love to try the new trickster, but I know that if I return to DBD I will go back to my old state.

I was getting extremely toxic to people in-game and real life, and having anger attacks smashing tables and walls. With this I say, take a break, see how you feel, if you feel comfortable then go back to DBD, if not, you can always be part of the community in the forums and social media

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826

I get you. I have OCD and sometimes I think that if I don't do something or pack a specific item something bad will happen. It isn't the game's fault, but it certainly doesn't help to have a high stress mindset with a high stress gaming session! I hope you feel better and find a calm game-- I recommend 'Coffee Talk' or some silly game like roblox or minecraft if you just want to relax and laugh a bunch :)!