The Dark Times

Options
Killing_Time
Killing_Time Member Posts: 894
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

Let's talk about a time from long ago... The Dark Times. Now, I haven't been around since the inception of this game, but I think I came around just before Myers was released. Back then, it was near impossible to hit a survive at the pallet (because pallet vortex), self care was so fast they could heal during chase, flashlights were insane, bnp had 3 gens go off in under a minute, sprint burst was just stupid lol and many other things. I was forced to learn Nurse and Billy during these times. How was your experience?

Comments

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,278
    Options

Well considering it used to be five times before a window would be blocked by the entity, let's just say chases use to be much longer than they should've been

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

I could've sworn a good chunk of those existed before the dark times and patched before the dark times or within the dark times. I guess it depends on where you decide to date the Dark times, which is debatable.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,616
    Options

I first started playing at the very end of the Dark Times, I think.

Roughly May of 2018, iircl

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,222
    Options

This was way before my time, as I first started playing during the last Winter Solstice event, and back then then things were not as bad as the Dark Times, but they weren't perfect either (I am talking to you, Old Legion). However, I have watched plenty of videos and heard the stories.

I am going to say something crazy here, but if it was possible I would like to "return" to the old versions of DBD to experience it for myself. I don't know why, but I would love to.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,481
    Options

OP mentions starting in Oct 2016, and everything I mentioned in the list was relevant at that time.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,907
    Options

Whenever somebody says “The Dark Times” I think back to the Legion release and all of their complete and utter BS. That was when everybody immediately DC’ed against a Legion and everyone was having a terrible time.

I hate that phase of DBD. December 2018-April 2019 was so painful.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited March 2021
    Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one that looks back on the time around The Last Breath and Halloween as "The Dark Times".

Hell, that entire Winter was miserable.

There was even a several weeks where an exploit allowed you to have multiple copies of a perk - so killer's doubled up on their "machine gun build" and would run two copies of STBFL and Unrelenting so they could just down survivors with 2 swift sings.

Devs were on Winter break and refused to put anybody on it while the bug flourished it was terrible

Let's not forget that hooks were permanently gone once saboed. Which made slugging meta as it was really the only way to get a kill. And until Nurse dropped, Billy was the only viable killer at red ranks.

Survivor cues were upwards to 15 to 20 minutes because nobody wanted to play a killer before the machine gun build came out.

• Murph
    Murph Member Posts: 43
    Options

Remember when killers could equip others' powers? Myers with the chainsaw was... something.

Things got better after Freddy was released IMO

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

well there was the issue of oceans of pallets, double pallet double window jungle gyms, stacking exhaustion perks with no universal cooldown as well as full cooldown while running, base gen speed being shorter, base heal speed being shorter, and overall survivors having much better tiles / windows to work with such as wrenched shop with 4 open windows, bus with double window double pallet, cow tree that was just 2 windows in a circle with no entity blocker and blood lust, 3 second killer vault time, its a wonder this game didn't die out right then and there

and although things seemed a little bad for survivors in all that you have to remember that it took 3 months before nurse was added so killers had to deal with this for 3 months before they got their biggest way to fight back

• FrenziedRoach
    Options

While these things are true - there's a reason the survivors had to wait as long as 20 minutes to get a match back then

Just sayin.... while the survivors had their own issues to deal with, the killer's did indeed have it much much worse.

• Killing_Time
    Options

Nurse was created to bypass most of the crazy stuff. I don't remember ever hitting a survivor through a window or pallet back then

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

The game launched in such a state that 5 years on a lot of things they do now is playing catch up due to all the original issues. Shame that after progressing for so long map design now seems to be regressing.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Darkest Moonlight offering + Ninja Claudettes. Those were the dark times.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

It was ages ago so it's hard to remember it but I don't think it was as bad as it seems since almost nobody was good at the game so only minimal amount of people actually abused all of the OP stuff properly.

Back than a lot of people camped pallets hard, never looped and did unhooks infront of the killer because they didn't know grabs existed etc. It was, different from what we have today.

• Killing_Time
    Options

Dude we're talking about pallet vacuum times. Remember when windows used to suck the survivor in to vault? Shack had 2 open windows, double pallet jungle gyms, crotus penn had like a million open windows, no bloodlust, like man it was a nightmare lol.

• Moonman157
    Moonman157 Member Posts: 102
    Options

Questions for veterans/DBD historians who have played since the beginning:

When did survivors start looping? Like around what month/year did it start becoming a common play style for survivors?

Were there individual players who discovered looping, or did it kind of just grow organically throughout the community?

• Killing_Time
    Options

Good question. Looping was already a thing when I came around

• FrenziedRoach
    Options

There's actually a reason for that. If memory serves, the pallets used to do their collision check right at the start of the animation. The hit check was also further out from the pallet.

It was also possible for the killer to get stuck IN the pallet back then. The established protocol at the time was for survivors to cross the pallet repeatedly until the killer could get a grab would free them from the pallet - then the killer would let them go in exchange for getting them unstuck

Looping showed up early actually. However, it was much easier to do as the game had places were the survivor was truly safe if they paid even half-attention to what was going on (old ironworks loop, the old-school combine with the extra large haybail, ect).

We didn't have window blockers back then, and you could also do a fast vault from any angle and from even standing still. And many buildings used to have all their windows open (Like Wretched Shop - you used to get all the windows open on that one, which made catching anybody next to impossible as they could fast vault from standing still back then)

Killer shack also used to have second window if I remember right - right across from the one we see now. You think the killer shack is hard now? LOL

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302
    Options

The most annoying thing that nobody remembers? Legitimate hatch standoffs or survivors having to attempt to get 2 done by themselves when the whole team DC’d / died at 5 gens left. At least old left behind was actually kinda beast.

• Killing_Time
    Options

It was actually good balance to have hatch appear only when a certain number of gens were done in my opinion. I hate the free escape chance of the whole team dying at 5 gens.

• Killing_Time
    Options

You should've seen when all the hooks were taken down and all you had were basement hooks. Nightmares

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,395
    Options

Double window shack. Immediate loss.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,105
    Options

I would do then what I am doing now, which is play solo survivor. Even with all the QoL changes killers have received, I have come to the realization that it's just not for me. I play games for fun and sweating my butt off against red rank swfs is not my idea of fun.

• En3ermost
    En3ermost Member Posts: 298
    edited March 2021
    Options

Damn, I still remember playing Myers with the infamous "Machine Gun Build" back in 2016... Very different times...

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

You forgot everyone had OG DS and those vacuum pallets were everywhere and doubled up.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options
  • Jareth
    Jareth Member Posts: 105
    Options

Fun times back in that first winter. Killers could equip other killers equipment, like chainsaw myers. They could also equip survivor perks, so good luck trying to get away from a killer with bond.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

It was pretty easy when you could equip multi sprint bursts and exhaustion didn't exist.