Major Totem Change

Totems should not be lit and dull, they should all just be dull. Why do survivors need the alert that a totem is lit?

When RUIN is active, you have an affect icon showing onscreen in your HUD. So then you have to do bones to find it, or live with it.

This also buffs surprise Hexes like haunted ground.

Comments

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,446

It's probably by design to make hex totems easier to be found. I am also not sure if Haunted Ground would actually become stronger as most Survivors seem to ignore normal totems mostly.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670

I was thinking the same thing as I typed it out. Maybe the danger of hitting a surprise effect totem would cause less survivors to do bones than currently.

• JediWithASniper

Hadn’t thought about NOED. You found one more reason that NOED needs to be changed.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

So we by chance have to do 5 totems by luck? Like old Undying? The one that just got nerfed?

Before you start hating me, hear me out. There is an element of strategy in NOT cleansing dull totems, one that was cleverly used by many members of the community before Undying's debut. Say you're playing a game where the killer didn't bring hex totems and, by the time the last gen is finished, you've seen 3 dull totems. Then the exposed notification pops up revealing NOED is active and the 60-second clock for your teammate's death starts ticking. Remember that a totem takes 14 seconds to cleanse.

Scenario A: You ignored the totems. You now have a 60% chance of knowing where the totem is and you can head directly to them, check and cleanse if found.

Scenario B: You cleansed the totems. The only clue you have is that the 2 remaining totems are not close to the ones you destroyed, you still have to find them in less than 46 seconds and if they were not found so far, they are in some nasty hidden spots.

If another team member tries to rescue the best outcome is a hook trade for 60 more seconds and the worst is the killer getting 2 kills. NOT doing bones gives a better average outcome than doing dull totems. Exceptions for that strategy are:

1-You have Detective's Hunch and/or a map and know the location of every single totem.

2-You rule out the killer's 4 perks and confirm he doesn't potentially have NOED.

3-You run Inner Strength and need healing.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Yeah BHVR has been trying to get rid of the RNG of their game for a while now. Trapper's traps, old undying, etc. I feel like randomness in a game like this is just really bad. No other competitive game includes RNG as a main game mechanic and if all totems were unlit it means it's completely random which totem you are doing and that's not challenging.

Last night I literally had a game where my entire team ran around every area of the map multiple times and we didn't find a single totem, lit or unlit. We don't need random totem guessing simulator on top of that.

• JediWithASniper

Well said. What do you say to the flip side of that which is, the threat posed by ignoring totems goes up substantially, and now survivors will cleanse them?

• katapad
    katapad Member Posts: 55

Totems are in a desperate need of a rework regardless. The majority of maps have spawns out in the open, in fixed locations, appearing directly next to generators... etc.

This only applies if you're the only one doing bones. If everyone is keeping an eye out for the totems during the game and does them when there is an opportunity, NOED is useless and hex totems get cleansed. If you're that scared about NOED, run a perk to counter it.

• JediWithASniper

I had a similar game a few days ago, but they are rare. We did find ruin eventually, but we found all the rest later on. Solo survivor btw. The change this makes to the game is that now, cleansing a totem becomes imperative instead of optional.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

Personally i'd like to see all hexes not light totems, and then all hexes to be reworked to be like thrill of the hunt, where it's power depends on how many dull totems are up. This evens out the RNG aspect so that if you can't find the hex it isn't extremely OP, but also means the killer won't lose their hex 20 seconds after the match starts. They could also rework undying to actually be "undying" and make the hex stay in effect at level 1 the entire game or something. Obviously this would require numbers tweaks on some hexes and some reworks to others, but i think it would make hexes a bit healthier.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

Someone had their hex totems cleansed within the first minute of the game too often I bet.

I still think that all totems should stay dull until the effect of the totem activates. Aside from a few trap ones like haunted, retribution, thrill. Stuff like that.

That way you won't have a totem cleansed that had no effect. Or on the off chance that all 5 totems get cleansed before the hex spawns then its a little reward to the survivors that they did all the bones.

• JediWithASniper

I’m a survivor main. Only dabbled with a few killers. I’m trying to improve problems with the game.

1. killers totems get cleansed to quickly
    2. Survivors don’t cleanse totems

They seem like opposite goals, but making lit totems a thing of the past achieves both. Only problem I see is that the killer needs a buff, or an item that lets him see which totems have hexes all the time.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Two words: Devour Hope.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

When I enter a game, I assume NOED is incoming unless I check the killer has 4 different perks. Cleansing 5 totems alone take 70 seconds of team effort along with finding them that tends to be quite time-consuming. In new and reworked maps some totems can be difficult to find even with Detective's Hunch showing its general location and if you fail one NOED activates. It's a trade-off of doing 6 gens instead of 5, not counting the searching time.

I play mostly SQ and killer. I can't count on teammates pulling their weight and when they do, I can't communicate with them. Hex perks tend to be frequent enough that Detective's Hunch is a staple in my builds. Yes, Hexes need rework. No, making all totems dull is not the best approach.