When it comes to playing DBD, are you competitive or a chill gamer?

Options

Just generally curious as to who plays DBD competively, and who likes to chill basically. Back when I was a noob I used to be pretty chill with it, but I wanted to aim at becoming better. Once I finally got a little bit better at playing survivor and killer I kinda started taking the game pretty seriously, which in turn kinda lead me to getting tilted a lot and being a tryhard at the game. But ever since I've gotten loads better at both survivor and killer and at not letting my saltiness get the best of me, and realized that playing DBD competively isn't good for your mental health. Which is why I like to run no gen defense/slowdown perks on killers, because running those perks getting very boring after a while. I basically look at all killers, and decide what perks benefit them the most. For example a build I like running on DeathSlinger is Nurses, Monitor, STBFL, and Brutal. I can win with this build on DeathSlinger at times, but will occasionally lose since gen speed and playing a slow killer. But with losing I basically shrug it off because I will accept that I lost, although there is times where the game does mess me over. I don't play to be the best, I just play to have fun. Which will always be the #1 rule of video gaming.

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,756
    Options

Competitive.

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417
    Options

Ehhh it really depends for me. Usually if I'm playing in the morning or afternoon I'm just chilling. If I'm playing in the evening or at night I feel like I play more seriously. Not like hard tunneling or camping but more like sitting up and closer to the tv and focusing if that makes sense lol.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited March 2021
    Options

90 percent of the time, I'm giving it my all and expecting the opponent to do the same. Only a fool goes in expecting your adversary to pull punches, so don't pull any in return.

I'll sometimes get really drunk though and bring out the Railgun Doc.

Shocking people at 35 meters will never cease being funny to me - even though it's useless as hell.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,727
    Options

I'm usually pretty chill, I play the game to enjoy it - I don't get tilted.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I dont care about "losing" or "winning" so I try to be fair in both roles, as Killer not tunneling, no camping, never used old Moris, no Spirit/Freddy and I usually play what the comunity believes are weak Killers because I like their style (which I disagree, I think the comunity is just very bad), as Survivor if we are going very well I will stop to cleanse totems and open boxes and no t-bags.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723
    edited March 2021
    Options

I'm usually chill but switch to competitive after 2 gens have popped. If it's an event, I 2-hook and let everyone go, ALWAYS. If the survivors are running OoO and are making it clear that they're here to ruin my day, I switch to competitive and I usually 4k. Otherwise, I try to be chill unless I get rushed. That's my motto.

(Edit: As a survivor, I'm competitive from the get-go and try to do my best to loop the killer so my team can do gens since I lost trust in solo's a long time ago. I prefer to take the initiative and run the killer. If 3 gets out and I die, I count that as a win, regardless of a pip or not as a survivor. I do the same as killer. 3k-4k as a win.)

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
    Options

I play competitve when practicng for an achievement/daily/rift challenge. Otherwise I'm pretty chill, don't really go all out unless I' against players I know will be toxic.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890
    Options

I'm a bit of both. I don't care about escaping, I play for BPs primarily atm. If I feel like I accomplished enough and had fun, I'm chill.

If I'm the first one and/or get tunneled out of a match, I get a bit aggro not because of the strat, but because I didn't get to do anything lol.

• gemjas
    gemjas Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2021
    Options

Chill. There are so many variables and bugs that can determine a match, that playing 'to win' would infuriate me. Like, sometimes you're just competing against the game itself, lol.

I just whack people with my weapon and have fun. I don't care if I win.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638
    Options

I’m mostly chill unless provoked.

• Viciusaurus
    Viciusaurus Member Posts: 404
    Options

I tried to play competitively, and like you said, it just wasn't good for my mental health (especially post chat). I give myself other goals to work toward in game (cleanse all totems, be team Healer, etc).

I've had to remind myself that dying or escaping doesn't matter as long as I was able to play well, and it's done wonders for me to just be super chill in matches.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,592
    edited March 2021
    Options

As a solo I give my best, same if I'm teaching newbies in a group but prioritize their survival. In a semi-good group I relax more and fill the needed role whatever it is.

As killer it depends. I get a sense of the team and that determines what I do. If they're coordinated af I do what I can without blatant tunneling but prolly will lose. If they're chiller I go for hooks, and dc's & boops may lead to pleasant farming.

Always I try to keep in mind we all are supposed to be here for fun and bloodpoints, not crippling mental anguish. Playing killer might not leave you time to remember that.

Don't underestimate the value of the occasional farming session. Very much like fishing, it's good for the sole as well as the soul.

• dnj510
    dnj510 Member Posts: 438
    Options

I'm chill.

If I play competitively, then I'll end up getting more upset. If I play casually, then I won't get mad and I'll just try to laugh and enjoy the trials as much as I can.

At the end of the day, no money is involved so no point in raging over this game.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429
    Options

Chill, this game ain't really worth it to be competitive on.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

A bit of both I guess. Obviously, I try to win. But if the outcome of a match doesn't go my way, that's okay too.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,663
    Options

Totally chill, only playing for the fun, the atmosphere of the game etc. I don’t have the skill to consider myself a competitive gamer..

(don’t ask my partner if I am a chill gamer though, just trust my word)

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379
    Options

Chill. 100% play for fun and not give a ######### about how others play. It's the only way to truly enjoy this game, ALL THE TIME, and not just this game, but this mindset is beneficial for everyday life as well. Stress is a literal killer. So if what you're doing, or how you're reacting results in stress, you should strive to make changes to lessen it. Change the game, and/or your mindset. Read up on emotional intelligence.

I learned a long time ago that raging over a video game (or anything in life) doesn't provide any sort of benefit to me. It's not worth my time or energy to react in ways that provide no benefit. So I can play a toxic as hell game like this and not care one bit about the result or the #########-talking and salty tears that flow my way. It's all dust in the wind for me. Meanwhile, weekly without fail at least 1 or 2 people spam me with hatemail complaining about something I did (or something they think I did), and I simultaneously laugh and feel bad for them having felt it worth their time to write out multiple long messages about something so insignificant but also something that they'll probably lose sleep over, lol.

As for DbD, I could care less about wins or losses. I am perfectly content with little successes:

• as survivor, repairing some gens, getting a save, a good loop or two
    • as killer, making everyone bleed, get a hook or two, maybe a kill

That's all I need for my fun and enjoyment.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

depends on it.

obviously i play to win.

however, i also want to have fun and i absolutely dont mind throwing a game just ti get a couple of good laughs out of it.

also i play without any items / add ons / offerings. the only thing i equip on my characters are perks, so im not someone who goes all in every match in order to ensure victory whenever i can.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

competitively chill.

I wanna win and try my best to do it. but I really just wanna have fun

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019
    Options

both, some rounds i want to run some "unusual" builds and some rounds i just want to win

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

ussually pretty chill. I always play to win ofcourse but i will put my foot off the gaspedal once survivors are struggling hard

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,009
    Options

Hmm, I consider myself to be both. I run meta perks when I play killer (Pop, BBQ, Corrupt, Tinkerer, and STBFL are examples of meta perks I usually run), but I play to have fun. However, my goal as a killer remains. My goal is to get at least a 3k without anyone escaping through the exit gate.

For survivor I always run Dead Hard and most of the time BT. For the other two slots, I usually run one other meta perk (Adrenaline maybe, but I don't usually run that) and one underrated perk, or two underrated perks. For example I run Second Wind, Autodidact, and sometimes I replace BT with Bond. I'm not the best at survivor so DH is a perk that will give me a second chance during a chase so I'm able to have fun.

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405
    Options

I try to chill, at most. But whenever I get a Trapper daily... I know I have to improve my trap placement and all to make people fall for them, so I just use easy mode with the iri stone.

Other than that, I try fun builds, both as killer and survivor, but when I start getting high skilled red ranks player... oh boy, I just switch to another game. I sometimes feel a little bit more competitive, but that's not usual, nor do I want to be competitive.

• katapad
    katapad Member Posts: 55
    Options

Mostly chill. If I'm only on for a single game or to clean out dailies I'll go all out because that's all I'm going to do, but if I'm playing for a couple hours I'm just going to take what I get, memes or otherwise.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

As killer I'm pretty chill, and I like to go against people that are also chill. I still try to win, but I go for 12 hooks (unrealistic AF, I know). However, if I go agasint a squad that tries to bully me then the gloves are coming off. I don't tolerate those kinds of players. 9/10 times they will just slam gens and leave anyway, but at least they learned not to mess with a kille rjsut because they aren't immediately tryharding.

As survivor I'm just even more so in the chill department. Why even bother trying to win, there's just no point, all it takes is one weak teammate and it's over. So I try and get a pip each trial, because that's an actual realistic goal.

Or I try to activate MoM, because we all know that's the true win condition of DbD.

• Minibeasty
    Minibeasty Member Posts: 62
    Options

Chill. I enjoy trying out playing with different perks, I'm also not good enough to play to win all the time. It makes my experience more enjoyable.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

Well

When I have the opportunity being presented to me, I'll slug a whole team at 4 gens if they make it easy (which they usually do). Take that as you will.

I dont think playing to win is competitive though, I'm just doing my (the killer's) job.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Very Competitive.

If I'm playing a video game, I want to get better at it.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,032
    Options

I'm competitive in so far as constantly learning and improving my game. I like to complete the challenges and pip, but mostly it's about trying to score the most BP in a trial, above me team or opponent(s).

However, in terms of winning a game by escaping or getting the 4k I'm more chilled. As a killer, I'm quite content with a 0k if everyone has been hooked twice. If I get a 4k then great, but it's not paramount in my mind. As a survivor, it's normally about being a useful team member.

Basically, I think it's possible to be both, so long as the expectations are for differing aspects of the game.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,580
    Options

Both chill and competitive...

...i Hate it severely, i already have bad Anger issues with this game lol

• Amy095
    Amy095 Member Posts: 96
    Options

When I play killer, I play more competitive.. sometimes I do take pity though. IMO killer is more difficult to learn, as there are so many to choose from! So i play the best I can to get better. As for survivor its chill for me. I die? I just move onto the next game and have fun with it.

• ddubuckyee_user
    ddubuckyee_user Member Posts: 178
    Options

I play to win. At least I don't play games to lose.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    edited March 2021
    Options

As killer: 100% competitive unless I notice my opponents are casual gamers.

As survivor: 100% chill gamer. I don't even bring exhaustion perks. The only meta perk I run is DS but other than that I usually try all kinds of "fun builds". I'm currently toying around with Bloodpact as a solo survivor.

Can be hella fun if I get a smart obsession.

• ImHexyAndINoed
    ImHexyAndINoed Member Posts: 504
    Options

Use to be very competitive, when I didn't get any better thanks to my toxic attitude and lack of improvement I went back to being Chill. Its alot more fun now, I'll run meme builds which are alot of fun, do very strange things like crouch and look up at nothing instead of tbagging(I'm a weirdo I admit my faults) after stunning the Killer. And let people Kill me/Escape under certain circumstances like a one sided game. I prefer being chill it's alot more fun least for me

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536
    Options

I would say I lean towards the competitive side of things, I take games fairly seriously considering it's what I spend most of my day doing and I'm always looking to better myself as a player and play a game as efficiently as possible, while I'm not trying to be a sweaty tryhard, taking the game very seriously and trying my best to win coinsides with my mindset.

• TurtleSushiTV
    TurtleSushiTV Member Posts: 156
    Options

Depends how the Day is going lol. But mostly pretty chill

• SentinelCaptain
    SentinelCaptain Member Posts: 234
    Options

I'm fairly chill, but I'm always going to play to win.

• FaceCampBubbaMain
    FaceCampBubbaMain Member Posts: 19
    Options

I sweat real hard as a form of enjoyment, I love the aspect of constantly developing and experimenting with new builds

• Eorpwald
    Eorpwald Member Posts: 46
    Options

I'm pretty relaxed. I'm too altruistic for my own good when playing survivor so usually end up dead on hook once the exit gates are open cause I foolishly went to unhook someone and then the whole team run to a gate teabag for a minute or two then leave so I die.

As killer I usually give last survivor the hatch. I'll down them then carry them to find the hatch so they know I'm letting them have it rather than them just find it an teabag for ages before finally leaving. Usually they're thankful I let them live rather than toxic. That's usually cause I have weeded out the toxic survivor before then even if it does mean I tunnel them to death. I never camp though. I use Devour Hope so there's no need to camp it's counter productive.

• LordBread_
    LordBread_ Member Posts: 7
    Options

I used to be, but now I'm play to chill with friends. Now I go in to be chased by the killer and get his attention to have fun and if I die I die.

Now days I'm chill playing most games cuz of dbd and how angry I used to get, I don't take games seriously anymore which is the only good thing dbd did for me.

• Karao_Ke
    Karao_Ke Member Posts: 1,221
    Options

I'll play to win more often than not but won't hesitate on the chance to meme around and farm every once n awhile.

Now, I will say that playing to win doesn't necessarily mean I'm a sweaty competitor, but rather someone trying to improve their gameplay. I feel like once you become too competitive, that's when you start to get angry when you lose/someone taunts you/trash-talks you. Just enjoy the game for what it is.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210
    Options

Competitive. But i don't like advantages over skill, like 4 stacks of second chance perks or NOED.

Also i'm not bringing items or addons in the trial, most of the time.

• Outlaw64
    Outlaw64 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Neither. I consider myself a hardcore gamer that plays to win but I'm no where near those tournament or good streamer levels of gameplay.

I play the game so much because it's a good game to chill to, but I'm playing to win. I don't think anyone serious wants the survivor on their team who just wants to "chill" that's why you get the post about being matched with bad survivors so much.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

I play chill. I like to improve but fun is at the forefront

• lkalin91
    lkalin91 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Playing this game competitive is kind of pointless imo considering the rng and how much it can be tilted in favor of either side.

I play killers mostly addonless, with various builds because I find it boring to run same meta perks all the time.

However because I don't tryhard as much, I often get stomped on by meta surv perks with items/ map offerings, so I don't play killer that much anymore.

Same with survivor, I prefer running offmeta perks usually without items, or if I bring any it's usually a brown medkit for that one heal I need during the game. Survivor is much easier to play anyways that you can do fine without items and with one or two 2nd chance perks, which are all meta of course.

• bazarama
    bazarama Member Posts: 229
    Options

I don't care enough about hooks pips etc to play competitive.

Unless you are running with sailor Steve or an all black outfit on claudette then you're target one two and three and everyone else can do what they like :)

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Hyper competitive.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628
    Options

I start off with the intention of being chill lol

Depends on how match goes tbh. If I have 3 hooks before first gen popped, I'm going to relax a bit and try to enjoy the rest of the game, and that will probably lead me to giving hatch/letting people escape. But, if I'm dealing with toxic-ish, I may get tilted.

I had a match the other day. I ended up 2 people, had 1 person on hook with 1 gen to go. I wasnt in the mood to slug for the 4k, even though the first 3 gens popped quickly. As I was hooking 2nd guy, one guy was picked up, they finished the gen and left while the 2 were sacrificed. Im okay with 1-2k if it was a fun match.

I'm about to play Scratched Mirror Myers tonight on Lerys so that'll be fun regardless of result lol

• WatchBloodRain
    WatchBloodRain Member Posts: 175
    Options

Chilled, I don't really run any meta perks or try to sweat as a survivor

As a killer I normally let one person live as a basis, i might down a survivor straight off hook but I leave them to be picked up, since I hate being tunnelled im not going to tunnel someone.

Was doing adept pig and this cute little David basically gave up after he didn't get the flash light save so it was 1v1 but I let him do gens and leave, though did cost me the adept. So yeah pretty chilled