Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Options
KayTwoAyy
KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

Thought I'd run a nice game of Speed Limiter Billy last week. Threw in the Glenvale offering just to give myself a smaller map--reduce the time it would take me to find survivors.

With 6 seconds left on the lobby timer, two survivors immediately swapped characters to ones holding keys.

---

I had queued up for killer with the mindset that I didn't care how the match would end. If the survivors gave me a good enough run-around I might have even let them all escape intentionally. I just wanted to practice curves.

But when these survivors key-swapped they threw down the gauntlet. What they did was the equivalent of saying "at least two of us are escaping, and theres nothing you can do about it." ...and I just couldn't let that happen.

SWFs like this are not looking to play ball, and they sure as hell don't care if I have a fun game. So why should I ensure the same for them?

---

The health of this game, and its community, seems to ride on unspoken agreements that players will always keep the opponent's best interest at heart--or at least in mind. But thats just not good enough.

I hope BHVR continues to assess the balancing issues in DBD, and that they do not overlook outliers or niche synergies, just because they are seen so infrequently. It is not too noble a goal to prevent even the most infrequent of circumstances from ruining a players' experience.

Comments

• Idontknowtbh
    Idontknowtbh Member Posts: 467
    Options

I want to have fun! That's why I don't last really long in matches nor red ranks lol

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

Well clearly they wanna be hit, and counting to 15 seconds isnt hard lmao. Easy slug.

• KayTwoAyy
    Options

Call me unorthodox, but I don't use Infectious to slug. Especially not on a Speed Limiter Billy post-WGLF buff.

Just as BBQ lets me know where survivors are in the distance, Infectious lets me know where survivors are nearby. There is a time and place for slugging, and I am often amused by killers who become a slave to the crying sounds of Infectious Fright.

I like the information Infectious provides. Thats all.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

I love it too but a lot of killers can really benefit from the fairly unsafe pallets and small size

• Chchchcheryl
    Options

Absolutely

Keys aren't fun for anyone except the person using the key, unless they have it for its aura reading use!!

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405
    Options

Being super honest, I don't usually care if they're bringing keys. When I started playing dbd I brought them all the time, because I love the ring add on and being able to see the obsession's aura, besides not needing to run DS because of it. But I've learned quickly that keys are taboo's and stop bringing them out to avoid stress.

So unless I have a challeng to kill x amount of survivors or something like that, I let it go, because it can be fun. But if someone does a last second swap, I just disconnect during the offering screen. I think that's just plain disrespectful.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

The keys suck, but the BT isn't bad. And you got a 3K. Also, not a single DS.

• Valkyra
    Valkyra Member Posts: 4
    Options

Tbh I think the game is way more fun if you keep the opponent's experience in mind, I like playing the killer more cinematically and I'd rather take a hit as a survivor than loop you

I wanna win because I deserved to win, using tricks always leaves a bad taste in my mouth

• Dragonivy759
    Dragonivy759 Member Posts: 29
    Options

Speed limiter billy is NOT a one shot down. Yeah, if you didn't have speed limiter and still used infectious, you would be in a really good position if you're good at the game. But it can be countered if you put in calm spirit, which can counter multiple perks and killers.

• KiwiCoattails
    KiwiCoattails Member Posts: 566
    Options

You can also counter Stridor Spirit by bringing Iron Will and No Mither. Doesn’t mean I’m using those perks every single game lol. I virtually never see Calm Spirit being used as it’s too situational.

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 201
    Options

I dunno... Playing killer in red ranks is sweaty but I had a lot of fun with it. There's some decent competition.

People ranks are the worst. Survivors are either toxic douchelords or stealthy cowards who haven't learned how to run a proper chase so you end up playing a 20-minute round of boring AF hide-and-seek with some Blendettes who all run self care, iron will, and spine chill.

• BitingSea
    BitingSea Member Posts: 332
    Options

Everyone's ignoring the fact that you still killed 3! Very nicely done!

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

survivors don't swap to keys last second to be "disrespectful' they do it to avoid franklins.

• realflashboss
    realflashboss Member Posts: 328
    Options

It's a bit of a swine move to swap last second, but then again so is adding lightborn when you see a flashlight or Franklin's when you see lots of items. I've literally watched experienced streamers change their perks to counter which survivors would do if they could see the killer. So i can kinda understand why people might do the last second swap even though it's a bit scummy.

Tbf I rarely if ever see this happen though maybe 1 in 100 games that I'm in does a survivor swap out.

• DrunkenXSMonkey8456
    DrunkenXSMonkey8456 Member Posts: 53
    Options

I've played the game for a long time and know the game almost inside out but I never. Ever. Play enough to get me to red ranks. It just makes the game boring and repetitive as it's the same build every game with sweaty survivors or killers looking to crush your day within the first minute of play.

Like I've always said. It's the people not the perks that need fixing.

• cindlemain
    cindlemain Member Posts: 92
    Options

Had This happen to me when I solo qued the other day. Last second the obvious swf threesome all switched to keys, I was so pissed I couldn't lobby dodge.

I worked gens, got a hex off the board and even ran the killer at one point. Never saw those three. Finally with 2 gens left the killer got me. I run kindred and where are they hanging out in the basement waiting for the hatch to show up. Didn't even try to get me, they just wanted their free escape. And of course their all red ranked.

Keys need reworked badly

• Zamblot
    Zamblot Member Posts: 270
    Options

Honestly as a survivor I was so happy when Moris were nerfed but even I was pretty pissed that they didn't bring keys down a couple of notches. I don't know why they even exist as they remove endgame tension, end the game early or just result in a facecamp. It just isn't a good mechanic and they should really be reworked, I'm not sure what it would take to balance them but man, they are one of the 'fun for nobody' aspects in this game. The only way I can remotely see them being fun is bringing one so a killer tunnels you so you get to be chased half the time but even that is unreliable and you may as well just bring a green key

• Zamblot
    Options

Slugging is considered toxic because it's so damn boring. I get there is a time and a place where you should slug but those killers who literally just go out for slugs make the game so incredibly dull as you lie on the ground for 2 minutes waiting for your useless SoloQ teammates to grab you and literally having nothing else to do.

• Chchchcheryl
    Options

Oh no how dare you do nothing but hold m1 (whilst you recover), that simply can't compare in boredom to any other part of survivor gameplay, oh wait hmm, how funny...

Fucking please being slugged is no more boring than doing a gen. Survivors just dont like it because it means they are losing.

Fyi I play both survivor and killer I'm not biased just using my brain

• Morfedel
    Morfedel Member Posts: 230
    Options

Plus the piper offerings plus the hatch offering, yeah anyone pulls that kind of crap on me and switches items or characters at the six second mark I disconnect during the map load, no disconnect penalty, and I’m not gonna let people play those kind of ######### games with me.

• Zamblot
    Options

I play both, you obviously don't. Do you seriously think the only thing to do is a gen, and yes, even then while gens are boring the skill checks are better than literally ######### all. Gens are shorter, you have to worry about killer pressure and will get forced off into chases (the best part of the game for survivors), you can't try and take hits for teammates or aggro, try for a flash save etc... the list goes on. You literally can't do anything about your situation when being slugged until a teammate helps so yes, it is far more boring.

Fyi, I play survivor and killer I'm not biased, just using my brain

• Chchchcheryl
    Options

Lmao holding m1 is the most boring thing to do in this game. The only fun part of survivor is chase interaction. Idk why you're assuming I dont play both because you don't like my opinion. Also wow the occasional skill check that must be so exciting for you. But funnily enough, I'm not talking about when you move off a gen, I'm talking about actually doing a gen, boring, more boring than being slugged because more than likely you're directly in the action trying for a pickup.

If you seriously think slugging is bad you have some thinking to do.

Fucking trying to be facetious at me, the nerve.

• KayTwoAyy
    Options

This.

DBD is a HUGE grind--I will gladly use perks that help chip away at the grind.

WGLF has been a staple in my survivor builds for the past 3 years, and I always have BBQ in my killer builds for the bloodpoint boost. I don't play half the killer roster, simply because I leveled them to 50 and they don't have BBQ, and I don't expect to play them until I prestiege and find BBQ in my bloodweb.

I want bloodpoints. Simple as that.

• romones848484
    romones848484 Member Posts: 18
    Options

How is it not an op perk? It does two things,guess what if a survivor wants to brink a token building perk that's all those perks do is stack that's it

• MrsMcpatches
    MrsMcpatches Member Posts: 12
    Options

The key swap is mostly to try to counteract Franklin's, because that perk is the worst, especially since your item disappears. Also, there is a great chance that you are going to get tunnelled and camped to death if you have one because most killers react that way to keys. I play mostly solo queue so I do bring keys as personal insurance, because if I'm the last one left, 99% of the time, I'm not getting a gate open and now with that new perk that blocks the gates, I'm not getting out at all unless I can find the hatch and have a key to get through it.

Also, you killed 3 of them, what are you complaining about? The keys didn't save both of the ones carrying them or anyone else. Only one escaped. I'd say you won that match.

• TheeclumsyNinja
    TheeclumsyNinja Member Posts: 283
    Options

I just lobby dodge if they switch last second, especially late at night when search times are 5+ minutes.

Come into the match honestly or keep waiting

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

This is where there's no point playing nice. I've done padded jaws Trapper and still been tbagged and had keys used against me.

These people cry about sweat builds but then pull out all the stops against the bad builds or low-mid tier killers. Shame they have the devs wrapped around their little finger and no doubt more killers will be receiving nerfs to satisfy them soon.

• GamerGirlFeng
    GamerGirlFeng Member Posts: 277
    Options

Is this a boast?

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Options

Well the point of the speed limiter is to put you at a competitive disadvantage, so I don't know what you expected. The keys are definitely a bit sweaty, but you really can't blame them for running BT. Camping is never fun.

All of this points to the issue of DBD being in the limbo of competitive and for fun. I am, probably like you, bored with running the same meta perk builds every time (survivor and killer), and so it's nice to have a game of mad grit demo now and then. I wish we had a non-competitive mode for goofs who just want to goof off.

• iplaybothsides
    iplaybothsides Member Posts: 33
    Options

They're role is to escape, your role is to kill. You can't be mad that they wanted to escape just because your original plan was to just practice. Looks like you got a 3k out of it anyway (I assume forth guy got hatch) so clearly playing speed limiter billy vs 2 keys wasn't to big of an issue.

I agree keys are bs and should be nerfed, but the only personal responsible for ensuring you have a fun game is you.