The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What made the "Cursed Legacy" so good, probably even the best chapter?

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I really think this is literally the best DLC for dead by daylight since like Huntress. The huntress is very simple, and one of the strongest killers in the game with counterplay and a very high skill cap. When I say best, I mean a killer with great overall design and gameplay. It all comes down to gameplay.

Same for Oni really, all you do is smack survivors and take their blood to power up whenever it is necessary. The Oni is a great killer and is strong with counterplay as well. He is a little bit more complex, but at his core (a power burst killer) he is still pretty easy and simple.

Why Oni is very fun for both sides:

The Oni is an awesome killer and if anything he relatively weak against good survivors (because of just one design flaw). He encourages fun gameplay for the whole team because his power builds up faster when he hits healthy survivors. So what Oni players do is get the initial hit and farm the rest of the blood from one survivor, or quickly switch to another survivor which is fun for the survivors and satisfying as Oni to see your power bar go up since there is more interaction with both the killer and the survivors. He looks awesome, has good lore, and has a strong power. To prevent him from getting his power, survivors are encouraged to heal their teammates promoting more team play. It becomes very intense when the Oni is in blood fury mode and becomes very intimidating, making him a threat or a challenge which adds to the overall fun.

So we have a killer who looks awesome, is fun to play as or against, has good lore, a power that has a decent skill cap, encourages team play and more interactions with different survivors, and has a strong power.

His one design flaw:

The one design flaw he has is that he relies on the survivors messing up to get his power. Any decent survivor on a loop with a safe pallet that knows dropping it early will severely hurt the Oni can do that. All the survivors have to do to not let him power up is play safe which the Oni can do nothing about. He then just becomes an m1 killer for most of the match, and by the time he gets his power, it will be too late. But that is honestly the only design flaw with his power (minus the bad perks he comes with).

So what made BHVR make this great chapter?:

This chapter definitely stands out among other ones for sure. Look at him and the Legion for example (current Legion). The Legion is a killer who has the power that can keep survivors injured pretty much the whole game, but has no lethality and is a normal m1 killer. He is probably fun for the survivors because they can mess with him and loop him easily, but the killer playing him might not like him. Some survivors may not even like him because of his mending (which isn't even that bad honestly, I don't see why it is so boring) and little interaction when he stabs someone and leaves.

Look at every other killer up to Huntress in terms of fun gameplay and design. How come BHVR did a fantastic job on the cursed legacy chapter and just meh on the others? I am not calling out BHVR, but I mean it is a pretty clear thing to see and a good question. This chapter was my favorite (besides silent hill) and is just really an awesome patch. Did BHVR have more people working on it, did they spend more time and resources on this one, or were they motivated to make something great for the community? I just want to know why this chapter was so much better when compared to other ones.

Comments

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667

I don't think this is even close to the best chapter. Oni's great and all, but...

The map is dull, all of the perks are trash and Yui's never interested me as a character.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

The only thing I'd say was absolutely bad was the damn startup of the game. Every time it loads, all your hear is a loud sound that no matter how high the volume, was always loud as hell. It was worse louder and more earaching then Elodies scream(Well used to be, because now shes a permanent addition to the game!), thank god it's gone, but other then that the chapter was amazing.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

Oni is a fun killer, but every oni I get is either laggy or bad. Very unenjoyable at times, at least for me.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Yui's one of the best original designed survivors

Oni's one of the best original designed killers

The chapter came with a bunch of much needed balance changes. Legion was buffed, Spirit was tweaked and nerfed slightly. Balanced landing was reworked slightly & Kindred was made even better

What a package that chapter update was

• RyRapsYT
    RyRapsYT Member Posts: 299

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. No hate to the cursed legacy it has a great killer and introduced yui with a unique perk. I think that the best chapter is Halloween. I love the Halloween movies and seeing mike Myers in the game and Laurie is cool. I think Myers is the scariest killer in the game

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184
    edited March 2021

I remember kind of rolling my eyes when I saw Oni, but not for any balance reason. But more so because, at the time he struck me as a "sell the solution to a problem". He hard countered the no heal meta, which was nice, but I'm always like "what about all of the other killers?".

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,860

Shattered Bloodline>

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

He's one of the most fun to play for and against, topped with him imo, being by bar the best aesthetically. Brilliant character.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,211

That would be because he's not free. Trapper, Wraith, Hillbilly, Nurse and Huntress are all free, and that is why they are placed there (same for any Killer on the PTB).

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
  • Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357

Well we should probably look at the other content of the chapter as well, not just the killer.

Sanctum of Wrath

- Great work on the main structure, actually pretty balanced building for once

- Doesn't heavily favour a playstyle or a killer

- The strength of tile combinations varies greatly

The perks

Oni's perks are mediocre at best, and Nemesis is pretty much meme-tier

Yui's perks are actually quite strong but hard to use properly since they depend on the killer

Considering that most chapters have something that really stinks, Cursed Legacy is pretty damn strong with it's "pretty good" and "meh" content

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

Oni is not fun for both sides I’m sorry. There’s nothing fun about facing a killer that gets almost a free down on you because your solo Q teammates took a hit or two.

All it takes is slapping on Akito’s Crutch and Topknot, getting a single M1, and farming blood for a bit for borderline free downs on the majority of maps.

Terrible design. That’s why I prefer ghostface to Myers. Myers can be 99% when you haven’t seen him all game. Ghostface can’t.

• Yords
    edited March 2021

Myers is cool and all, but his power is weak and not really well-designed.

• Yords

I honestly think the soundtracks in the game are all great, my favorite one is p head's menu music and Oni's terror radius and chase music.

• Yords

I feel that, but any laggy killer is pretty unfun to go against.

• Yords

For a lot of people, he is. And it isn't always bad in solo queue.

• Kellie
    Kellie Member Posts: 1,328

I feel like its even worse with oni. Since his power relies on survivors being injured, getting hit through stuff like pallets and windows is irritating.

• Yords

I think it is the worst with huntres honestly, the terrible latency with her hatchets are a nightmare

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

wow wow wow wow wow wow...

not well designed? you crazy? it's perfect. fits him to a t

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

Definitely one of the most fun killers to play, beats his family member the Spirit out of the fun factor and counterplay.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

It's definitely one of the best chapters BHVR has made. Perks may be weak but they are very, VERY well designed (Nemesis, Breakout, and AMN are fun perks).

• Yords

I mean it is weak gameplay-wise, it fits his character perfectly. But all I have to do as survivor is break LOS and run into corn to deprive him of his power. Even then he is just an m1 killer.

• Mysterynovus
    Mysterynovus Member Posts: 318

I made Oni my main mostly from the visual design aspect, but getting more into his gameplay, it's just so much fun to be able to bonk people with a club. I'm no deadshot marksman galaxy brain player when it comes to a Demon Dash > Demon Strike combo, but even when I miss, it feels fun to be able to zoom around like a motor vehicle.

• Esperiae
    Esperiae Member Posts: 75

To be honest I feel like the winter season releases feel kinda rushed because they come right after the blight from October. I prefer the Spring releases because it's always something that is very Different. (Saw, Demise of the faithful, Chains of hate, sorta Spark of Madness)

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428
    edited March 2021

I might be in the minority but I find Oni REALLY... like uttterly boring to play against.

Especially because with how one-dimensional his power was designed everyone and their mother brings Infectious Fright and Slugs. One of the most boring actions one could possibly experience in this game and the same playstyle across the majority of Oni players.

You cannot do anything against his one shot in open areas. At least with Hillbilly you can somewhat counter his.

• Rakkyoon
    Rakkyoon Member Posts: 24

Oni is definitely in that same vain as Billy and Demo for me. They're killers that I thoroughly enjoy going against, and very rarely do I ever feel cheated when I get smacked or I get destroyed by them. An Oni in the right hands is absolutely, drop-dead TERRIFYING and is some of the most fun I have playing Survivor. I don't play him very often as killer, I myself am a Blight main, but I can appreciate the simplicity and raw power of his... well... power.

• EvilClimax
    EvilClimax Member Posts: 41

No he didn't? Halloween DLC was the first DLC lmao, what are you on about.

• Ensalada
    Ensalada Member Posts: 7

You seem like trying to compare chapters but only talking about the killer.

I agree with the ONI. I have a LOT of fun when playing Oni. I love to hook a surv and leave it to be unhooked while I down a guy at the other side of the map, no one is safe. And I feel so confident with Oni that I allow survivors to have 3 hooks each before they die.

Killer players often cry about how killers are not scary anymore, there you have Oni.

About design. I think you have to be aware that is not a "season" job problem, because by now every killer would be fixed. I think is more about the fact they are trying to be innovative and try new things, and sometimes that doesnt go as expected. We have the limitation of 3/4 "subpowers" (because of buttons) being freddy the one with the most. Twins were a great addition to the game in terms of new ways to design killers, and maybe in a year we will have a better "dual-killer" thanks to having this camper.

Killers have to be different if we want people to have fun and rotate them. And have different skill cap and success ratio. Overall I am happy even tho I dont use last killer, because we have variety.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,018

While Oni is one of my favorite killers to play, I'll have to agree with others here that the best chapter was Halloween.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Another point for this chapter: it was the patch that nerfed balanced landing.

So, in other words, it was literally the greatest chapter they've ever released 11/10

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,081

To me, Oni is just an updated Myers. Myers is so bad vs strong players even when he is running arguably his strongest perks Bamboozle & IF in Evil within 3 build, he's still struggling. Oni is buffed Myers but I'd say out of highly rated killers, he's easiest of them to escape purely because he is so loud that you can hear his growls across walls/when he vaults making him a very easy m1 killer to loop with strong tiles. His power is strong but it has inherent slowdown, so all the time efficiency that you get from instant downs is counter-acted by the time it takes him to charge his power(Myers has this problem as well) and even than, the power does not last for very long time and single successful time-out completely reset the Oni, often game losing. In term of strength vs super strong teams, not really there but better than half other releases they do. On the flipside, he decimates bad/mediocre surviviors faster than anyone in the killer cast.

Cursed Legacy is more of a chapter for players that used to play Billy, but no longer play him because he sucks, so almost everyone who used to be a billy main is now an Oni main or Bubba main.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I mean,pretty much every killer with a one shot will kill you in an open area.

Short loops and long wall jungle gyms are decent against him in his power

• Grum_P
    Grum_P Member Posts: 79

Seeing Mike Myers in the game

When did we get an Austin Powers chapter? Sh*t have I missed out on playing as fat bastard this whole time?