oni op or not?

as a killer main i hate to say this but i feel like he is just a little op. i haven't gotten under 3 survivors in any games with him. Maybe I just have really lucky matches but i am rank 3 but idk i want to hear what other people think. I'm also on console keep that in mind

Comments

• obamagaming99
    obamagaming99 Member Posts: 216
    edited March 2021

yeah i am rank 3 and i can't remember any matches where i have killed only under 3. why would i lie? answer the question and if you don't care then move on. Just asking a question not here for an interrogation

• BitingSea
    BitingSea Member Posts: 332

He's OP given the right circumstance, if you use his absolute best build on a good map like Coal Tower or something small that isn't an indoor, there's little to no stopping him if he even catches a glimpse of you. So something like MNA, Infectious, Ruin and Undying/Tinkerer with Scaled Topknot and Lion's Fang will allow for absurd amounts of snowball that probably should get tweaked (*Cough cough nerf topknot*). The only counter to Oni is hearing him scream, then slowly but surely finding your way over in a locker, alone with your happy thoughts

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

I think he’s pretty OP against solo Q.

There’s no way you can really stop him getting hits on your teammates, especially given the rainbow ranks in solo Q right now.

If you end up being the one he pops his power on there’s usually not too much you can do to stop getting 1 shot unless you are in a really strong area. And if he has good addons that still might not be enough.

It’s like never seeing Myers all game and then eating the tier 3 but 10x worse. Very punishing for mistakes that might not be your own.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

Op only with top knot and lion fang.

Without them not at all, I would say he is just strong, I main oni

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

lmao! he's overrated if anything. His early game is incredibly weak which can be devastating to a killer.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2021

One of their most well balanced and designed killers they've released imo. The only case you can make for Oni being too strong is with topknot, but that's an add on problem, not a power one.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

Actually, Oni is F tier until he gets his power. In the early game, you have NOTHING, no mobility to pressure gens, no ability like Nurse or Slinger to win chases. You are nothing but a basic M1 killer. I have played games against Onis where they didn't get their power before 2-1 gens were left cause my team played so safe dropping pallets left and right, W key across the map, and slamming those gens.

Oni is nothing but a killer who punishes survivors for THEIR mistakes, his not OP he is a punisher.

• CheesyGuy
    CheesyGuy Member Posts: 399

Any killer that has ability to instadown are dangerous and powerful. Oni is one of that killer but for his power he needs to hit the survivor first. A smart survivor can easily dodge and loop him. He is strong but I cant say he is OP. I think that OP killers are those that can both instadown or stop the infinite loops easily just with his-her power.

• VSchmitt
    VSchmitt Member Posts: 571

If you're not greedy and the map is survivor sided with RnG he's going to be an m1 killer for 80% of the match.

Even tho', Oni's weakness is survivor spreading, wich makes the game hard for 99% of the killers since spreading is pressuring multiple gens at once.

Also, Oni's power is not very good in short loops and T-L walls (unless you screw up hard and give him a charged M1).

His FoV is very limited while dashing and even more when charging M1 in wrath mode, so you can use this to make autoaim screw him in corners or low objects.

All in all, Oni is the most balanced killer in dbd (IMO) since he's REALLY strong while in his power (and fking fun) but has a lot of counterplay.

People thinks he is "OP" since they don't face many Onis and don't know what to do when facing a good one.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

He's the kind of killer that can exploit bad survivors very well. Simply being injured will contribute to his power; good survivors will know when and when not to greed. When in his fury, predictable survivors might as well be six feet under; good survivors know where he can and can't use his kanobo strikes effectively.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,243

Not OP in any way. He only does well because survivors feed him completely unnecessary hits early in games.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

What do you mean by "greedy"? Sorry, English isn't my native language, but I would like to understand what it means.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

He's not that strong if your team is composed of people that understand not giving him blood early on is worth more than any god pallet in the map. If you just throw pallets and play safe while your team doesn't slack too much, it's pretty much game.

Also, play STEALTHY when he's in demon mode. Hear a terror radius as he's chasing? Locker. That way infectious won't work. He's Very easy to counter if you have KNOWLEDGE and aren't OVERCONFIDENT. Only an cocky survivor will engage in a chase with an frenzied Oni voluntarily. Just outlast him. He'll be back to overweight, clumsy M1 killer form soon.

Top Knot is OP btw.

• VSchmitt
    VSchmitt Member Posts: 571

Looping pallets for too long giving him an M1 or an M1 through pallet. Just drop early and play it safe.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

Just stop it, he isn't OP and you know he isn't. 9 times out of 10 these posts come from players who got absolutely destroyed by the killer they are mentioning. Oni is strong but it's also just possible the killer was way better than you and your team. No killer is op, some have bs add ons or "unfun" powers but none of them are busted.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

Oni is nowhere near OP. No killer is. Good? Yes. OP? Not really. You probably just get lucky. He is fun though. Those are the killers I love to fight and play. Oni and Nurse are the killers I have so much fun with. They are good but have things you can do. They aren't like Spirit where she's boring but still good.

• GRT_Alkaline
    GRT_Alkaline Member Posts: 226

I wouldn't say he was OP personally.

IMO he is just a massive pain in the arse rather than over powered as i have beat and lost to oni's on a somewhat even ratio.

I haven't played as him though cause i just don't want to buy for him. So i might notice playing as him but i doubt it tbh.

• FearlessHunter
    FearlessHunter Member Posts: 530

Oni is strong but not op. Only reason why he may seem that way is when survivors don't heal and pretty much feed him his power for the whole game.

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

I mean if he has his blood fury ability all the time, he'll be S+ tier just because of how strong it is. I was specifically talking about his ability and not the entire killer in general.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Not if you starve his power by playing pallets safe

• AceOfSpades1773
    AceOfSpades1773 Member Posts: 74

I wouldn't say he's overpowered, just incredibly strong in the right hands. People really seem to underestimate the Oni, and that is what gets them killed.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893

If Oni had topknot built into his base kit then he would be OP he would be Nurse spirit tier if he has topknot

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

I can see that but the problem is how many times its he gonna basically have it all the time? Not often. So when ever that does happen sure he's S but that doesn't happen too often. Even with perks.

• xcross
    xcross Member Posts: 10

Calm down sza, any actual person who is high ranked and is getting as many kills as you do wouldn't even be phased as you clearly are. You could've and should've responded in an easier tone and to answer your question a certain streamer recently theorized that mmr may have been turned on again which could explain it.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

Top knot is OP as well as some of his add-ons.

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

This is true. Those who have mastered his power prove his power is S tier. If you get found there's very little structures that will let you last more than ten seconds. Unless of course it's topknot which is definitely overpowered.

Overall a balanced killer though despite the hate I have towards having to hide and hold m1 to win.