Can a mod please explain trickster nerf?

2»

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Reminds me of the time Gearhead was nerfed

And we were never told why

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Not entirely but when majority of people have the same idea why not try it out worse case they revert it example pyramid head

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Why try to pull the poor Moderators into this endless screed? They have nothing to do with game balance or design, and I expect couldn't comment on any insider information they glean anyway.

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894

Because, as history has shown, survivors will keep buying cosmetics and funding the game. If we get ANOTHER Nurse or SPIRIT, they'll lose money because survivors will quit. This killer will pose no threat to survivors so, it's a good addition. (To them)

This is why I haven't purchased anything for this game in years.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

So since the devs don't respond you ask explanations from people that are not related with the developing process? Makes sense

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

Lets all remember what happened with Freddy following the community feedback.

The loudest among us aren't necessarily the most correct among us...

I'd much rather they release him as a slightly weaker killer and just buff him to where he needs to be based on performance of the community (performance and not loudest).

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

I believe you are not supposed to lose movement speed while in main event as per the description. If that's true then PTB version should have been bugged.

With that said though, while some changes are good, they feel insufficient.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Well when they are the only people who respond that can have even the slightest bit of contact with them I see why people try to talk to them

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

I felt they could of gave him like 3-4 buffs to help him out. Longer time before Laceration decay and it decays slower to not force you to always all in on someone, bump his MS up a bit so throwing daggers doesn't make you lose as much ground, Main Event QoL and bug changes, and possibly the bouncing blades as base kit without the damage increase.

We got some QoL and bug changes on Main Event. It's at least something? But ya, I feel he will need more love than this.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443

While I agree with the general statement it doesn't excuse their lack of engagement woth the community over trickster and how blatantly weak he is. Everyone is pretty much unanimous that he needs buffed

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Yeah! I'm actually very excited for the new chapter to release.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

“Everybody” was unanimously in agreement that Spirit was the weakest killer ever released during her PTB, and shortly after her release.

Hardly anybody gives any killer enough time to make reasonable assessments of a new killer in question.

• Hex_Salt
    Hex_Salt Member Posts: 443

But do you think the killer is viable as is in high level play? As in the current state he is in. And how much time is an adequate length of time then? The Trickster is flawed as is and i get PTB is a testing period, but the point im making is the changes the devs are doing is simply inadequate. You said not all streamers are gods at the game and you're right with that. But they play tje game for a living we don't. I'm not saying they are better than us but we have just about every major streamer saying he's not viable as is, with tons of suggestions that right or wrong always get disregarded. The way he's been brought out its as if he hasn't been play tested by devs who actually know what they're doing

• Blindninja
    Blindninja Member Posts: 462
  • TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

The only SIGNIFICANT buff she got was the change to her phasing sound no longer being omnidirectional.

Since then she’s received a number of nerfs, and she is STILL complained about.

Spirit is only one example, even though it’s the best example. DBD history has shown that a PTB isn’t adequate time to determine a killers strength. Its simply for bug testing, and validating or invalidating THE DEVS own concerns about certain gameplay mechanics.

• Yumyumtasty
    Yumyumtasty Member Posts: 172
    edited March 2021

Oh you mean she's been complained about after NUMEROUS nerfs to survivors indirectly pushing her up the ladder? Mapchanges especially to making pallets less safe (gideon being the exception) making her excelt at something she was already good at? Colour me shocked.

The trickster can literally be run around a big rock during his MAIN EVENT ability.

And no, don't tell me to M1 them on a 110% killer, I might as well play something else at that point.

I cannot think of a SINGLE reason to play him over Plague currently, the only places where he excels at getting downs over plague are safe loops with 100% vision like the ones upstairs on gideon but then again you can just play either nurse or huntress there and get the same result. In most situations where this killer can hit you with at best 3 blades the slinger can just reeel you in.

Or just play freddy like most of my games recently and not just be better at combating loops but also have a global teleport to gens every what...30 seconds with a power that slows down the game for you.

Heck freddy would even still be better than the trickster if they made him 110% movement speed.

Heck let's go to a different one, Pyramid head can hit you at all the loops that trickster can hit you at and he also has a secondary power and 115% movement speed.

I'm gonna predict that he's AT LEAST worse than those killers and mind you PH, Plague and Deathslinger are sitting at a crappy winrate of just over 65% while being fairly simple to play. I recon he's gonna sit at 55% or even worse unless they buff him heavily or MMR screws up survivors.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    edited March 2021

Agreed.Trickster has nothing over any killer in the game.

He lacks individuality.Every other killers has SOMETHING going for them.

Post edited by OniWantsYourMacaroni on
  • Yumyumtasty

Well he's probably really good if you want to depip without actively holding yourself back so he's got that going for him?

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

I think you guys are too quick to complain. We saw TONS of complaints about how the twins and blight are weak, but nobody was using them correctly.

Everybody seems to think that the "nerf" to the ricochet blades is going to kill it, but you guys are ignoring a crucial part: they bounce twice. Combine that with the puncture (pass through survivors) add on and you can unload blades at a survivor and possibly hit them up to 3 times with each blade in tight quarters. And then there's my hope for what this means: single bounce knives will be base kit. Now the purple add on adds 1 extra bounce to the base kit ricochet.

His main event changes are great, small but perfect tweaks without making it too powerful. Its a difficult ability to build up and you have to get lucky or be very strategic with the timing, but its very powerful when used correctly

Now, I think the main reasons people have trouble with trickster is they want to rapid fire their power too much. I can imagine that once those super accurate Huntress mains get used to it, they'll only rapid fire when a survivor is super close, or locked in an animation. Otherwise, in general chasing situations, its going to be a lot of accurate, single fire shots. You just gotta make sure you hit them frequently enough to avoid laceration degradation.

I think he's dope, and if im right about base kit ricochet he will be high B tier at least

• Yumyumtasty
    edited March 2021

Single bounce knives are in fact not basekit and will not be basekit and what you're describing is 2 addons and a ######### ton of situations in which other killers would just down you. Why the heck even "Rapidfire" at a survivor who is super close to me when I can just smack him.

To build up Main event which is underwhelming at best? It's as hard to build up as Tier3 on myers and I ask you which one of those you'd rather take in most tiles on this game.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839
    edited March 2021

I'm hoping that BHVR is being cheeky and not revealing that a single ricochet will be basekit, with his knives needing 6 hits in succession to down instead of 8 until launch. Not a great idea to work everyone up before release, but at least he would feel more viable. If not, well, oof. I really wanted to play Trickster, but it's going to be hard to justify putting time into him if his upper limit for damage over time is woefully below other killers.

Also, I decided to crunch the math real fast:

From the moment Trickster enters aim to the moment he launches out 8 blades takes 3.49 seconds. There is a 1.133 times throw rate modifier after 4 blades, which would drop the time for all 8 blades to about 3.46 seconds, followed by a 1 second cooldown before normal movement again. While moving, he travels at 3.68m/s, but it drops as he fires, hitting 2.68m/s after 30 blades. So, assuming every blade hits in rapid succession, the full process of aiming, firing, and injuring a Survivor, and getting cooldown from Showstopper takes a total of 4.46 seconds.

Huntress takes 3 seconds to fully charge a hatchet, though can be fired at a minimum charge of 1.25 seconds. Obviously, a hit is an injury. After throwing, Huntress has a 2 second cooldown. Huntress is slowed to 3.08m/s while aiming. This means that Huntress takes between 3.25 to 5 seconds to injure a Survivor and recover from her power.

The math works out kind of oddly, looking at it now. Huntress is technically BETTER at quickly securing an injury at the distance that Trickster seems designed for (mid-close), while Trickster IN THEORY would be better at long ranged injuries if he could somehow land all 8 shots during auto-fire. The chances of that are rather slim, given how his blades swap firing position based on which arm is throwing, and the fact that he has recoil (on throwing knives, lel). This is on account of him clearly being designed for closer-ranged engagements. So his design gives him more damage at ranges he is not intended to perform at, while Huntress (who is designed to be completely viable at longer ranges) does more damage faster than Trickster within his designed range. Furthermore, Trickster technically gets buffed for whiffing attacks with a slightly faster firing rate at 4 and 8 blades, though also gets debuffed with severe movement speed loss over time.

Given the math, I simply can't really say what he was designed to do well. He can pressure a low loop with the threat of Lacerates better than Huntress, but Huntress is better at being fatal in the same conditions. He can technically be more fatal than Huntress at long range, but his firing mechanics don't make this likely and probably not viable. His Laceration meter is a whole other can of worms as well, but it's worth mention in the long ranged lethality comparison on account of him needing to hit all 8 shots from range before any Laceration loss occurs.

Post edited by StibbityStabbity on
  • Yumyumtasty

You're just theorycrafting now with no actual gameplay in mind, the situations you're mentioning are happening against people who would lose to perkless M1 hags who only trap the hook.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

Okay, sure, not when close but the point stands about animation lock.

And how can you be sure ricochet knives won't be base kit? Are you on the dev team? Did they email you? Like I said, it was just a possibility. I just think its possible based on the add on change, not probable.

And still, not addressing that people are potentially under utilizing his power?

I think it also has a use for zoning a survivor, which I forgot to mention.

You can pressure panicky survivors off of gens from quite a distance too.

His power is very adaptable for the "don't want to basic attack" situations, like with STBFL and PWYF.

Also, in some situations you don't want to down someone till just the right moment (for instance, when wanting surge to proc on certain gens or when you know the survivor has endurance from BT and you're waiting it out) and this is the only killer that can prep for the down. Hit them with 7 knives while you wait so you can easily down them at the perfect time even from range

I know these are all tiny aspects, but tiny bits of adaptability here and there can add up fast.

If you don't like the killer, then that's okay. But I am of the opinion that most of the hate is due to lack of experience with him. I've seen tons of streams with people just chucking knives constantly and i can tell they are doing themselves a disservice. I think the power has more nuance than its getting credit for

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I am curious to the full patch notes.

The tweets wording made it sound that these were not all the changes