Is Stream Sniping Fair?

124»

Comments

• ttvbardberd
    ttvbardberd Member Posts: 144

I'd just like to say as well, I've been replying and reiterating my point a lot in this thread, but this is the problem with these forums is that, people aren't willing to change their mindset, and that's okay, but it makes these posts completely pointless and redundant.

Someone please get this thread locked, as so don't think any more constructive discussion is going to come out of this thread.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160
    edited March 2021

Devs have also given killers perks that encourage camping and slugging - Insidious for camping, Knock Out (which they recently buffed) and Deerstalker for slugging. They made the Twins the perfect camp/slug killer. They have challenges to "kill survivors by any means" which includes slugging until bleed out. Those are just few examples of them encouraging and rewarding camping/slugging. Saying survivors have perks that counter camping/slugging means the devs discourage those tactics is like saying the devs discourage survivors from using pallets and flashlights because killers have perks to counter those. They're just counters, they don't mean the devs discourage those tactics.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on
  • ttvbardberd

That's a fair argument, but that still doesn't explain why you get less points for doing them.

• ttvbardberd

Again, didn't even mention what you said I did. Also that's very funny that you posted the exact same comment twice but you went and found a cute little picture of Dr Evil to add to the relatable factor of your comment!

And no, I want the thread locked because clearly both sides disagree with the other, therefore there is no discussion, therefore no outcome of this thread, therefore making it pointless, which the mods will eventually lock this thread for. Lol.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

SWF isn't cheating, voice-communication is. There is no built in voice-com mechanics.

You're using an outside program to gain a significant competitive advantage in this game that artificially boosts the team's performance beyond their capabilities in real operating conditions.

In a normal game you can't tell someone where a totem is. You can't say if someone is coming for a save. You can't say trap right there. Yet any of these small thing early on could be the pivot point for the game snowballing or not.

Voice chat isn't just one of those bits given freely. It's a thousand small changes under the guise of "well I can press m1 and juke just like a normal game" without recognizing the real impact that makes.

You can't wipe out so much of the chaos and uncertainty which defines this game and still argue that you're playing the game as its designed to be played. Survivors are not meant to be coordinating or communicating beyond their their limited perk selection and rudimentary pointing. The difference is ######### monumental.

Truth is, VC is an advantage over normal players (ie, compared to the same team without that crutch) that's about as significant as an aimbot or wallhack in an FPS.

It is cheating de-facto no matter what the developers say until they either include it for real or balance around it in a way that takes account for the massive difference between a game where plays have zero coordination/communication and one where the players have total communication/coordination.

Yet.... voice chat is allowed nevertheless. Same way stream sniping is allowed according to the official rules. Personally, I would call them both cheating and prefer both be eliminated. But to think of one as cheating and the other crossing some line... pure hypocrisy. There's no getting around it. It's simply delusional.

• ttvbardberd

You made a fair argument, but we'll have to agree to disagree. Take my Vote up sir.

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

Thank you. I appreciate you hearing me out even if your position remains the same.

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516

I can agree with that. I’ve been in parties before but we don’t use headsets or anything. We just send psn messages before or after the match. So no real advantage there. It’s just funny people complain about going outside the game to gain an advantage and watching a stream is unfair but then go outside the game and use Discord or VC for their four man SWF and think that’s fair.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

The devs have said that voice comms is not cheating, they also don't ban for stream sniping but there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for that, it's because it's impossible to prove and link the accounts.

To excuse stream sniping some random who may or may not have used comms (which the devs don't see as cheating) does not mean watching them isn't cheating. You're entitled to think what you want but the devs have said 100% that voice comms isn't cheating while haven't given a stance on sniping entirely just that they don't ban, but again like i said, can't prove it 100% so of course they won't ban for it.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160

Because the devs aren't great when it comes to points. You get chased by Victor for a match where your team was able to bust out gens you get 0 BP and drop pip but if it had been Charlotte chasing you during that time you would've maxed out from being chased and gotten points towards your other emblems like you do any normal chase. You get 1 hooked you're up there for 2 minutes at most, you can speed it up and get about 800+/- BP during struggle but if you're slugged it takes 4 minutes to bleed out, you can't speed it up, and you get a handful of BP if you recover to find help. You unsafe unhook someone, while it may hurt your Altruism emblem a little bit you can still get iridescent, you still get decent amount of BP from the unhook - you don't get that much extra BP making it a safe unhook.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Let me see if I get this straight...

Survivors use voice comms not made for the game and this is fine.

But watching a stream a person voluntary puts out there for them to be seen by anyone is not?

Sorcery.

• Seanzu

"Not made for this game"

dude, there's literally a "Survive With Friends" mode, any developer thinking players wouldn't be in communications with their friends while using this mode is absolutely delusional.

• EvanSnowWolf

You keep using the word "cheat" over and over and over again. Cheating is when you break the rules. Can you please show me in the BHVR rules for this game where it says streamsniping is against the rules?

• Seanzu

People keep implying that talking to your friends is cheating or against the rules, can you please show me where in the BHVR rules for this game it says using comms is against the rules?

• EvanSnowWolf

It doesn't. But I'm not claiming it is. I've done SWF with comms. And I don't think it is cheating. Likewise, I don't think streamsniping is cheating. I don't do it personally, largely because I don't want the headache of trying to keep track of two feeds at once with all that noise. God knows I don't wanna hear this person thank all their subs, follows, and donations while I am trying to play.

However, it is disingenuous to say that comms is NOT cheating but streamsniping IS, unless you can cite me something from BHVR, which I am really very certain YOU CAN'T.

• Seanzu
    edited March 2021

Nah it's definitely cheating regardless of whether it's written down as such or not, you honestly truly believe that seeing exactly where a survivor is, going to them, and removing them from the game isn't cheating?

BHVR have said they won't ban for stream sniping because it's too hard to prove, twitch, and almost every other game in existence bans for it however.

It's just pure delusion to say it's not cheating.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/581290/#Comment_581290 Here's a post by peanits about stream sniping and why they don't ban for it, from reading it, you can however report someone for griefing if it's a common thing, you just can't report them for sniping, seems like they'd ban for it if they had a way of proving it, lmao.

• EvanSnowWolf

"Seems like" is not a rule. It's you guessing.

If your argument is "you are getting information you are not supposed to have", well that is what comms do.

• Seanzu

Except the devs enable voice comms by putting in a team game mode, they don't enable stream sniping in the slightest.

• EvanSnowWolf

Bullcrap. There is no enabled voice comms in this game. I defy you to show me the setting in any menu,

You can't.

Your argument is "Well, they knew what would happen" or some similar nonsense.

Just because a game has an INVITE button doesn't mean you have automatically preapproved all third party applications.

The Peanits post YOU yourself linked to says flat out Streamsniping is not an offense at all. Your claim that it is cheating is 100% invalid by your own linked post.

Until you can cite a post that DIRECTLY says it is, you're wrong.

• Seanzu

Dude you're so mad people don't like cheating in this game idk what your problem is.

The post was "Is Stream sniping fair" which it is not, but of course killer mains have to come in with the "Yea but whataboutism" and start talking about voice comms.

Is stream sniping fair, no? Is it considered by the developers cheating? no, is it still cheating? yea.

It's something out of the devs control so they don't see it as cheating, there's nothing they can do about it so obviously won't define it, however you can report for griefing if you think something repeatedly like that is happening to you.

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437

I don’t get how this is even a question, it’s obviously not fair and loser behavior.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245

Using an outside program - you mean like the OFFICIAL DBD Discord? The one that DBD has set up for players to use to play together?

So if the company that has created the game...utilizes a tool for their players to use...to play their game... how exactly is that cheating if it is supported by the game company? If DBD did not condone such actions - wouldn't they not...they themselves...offer voice channels for their players? I mean the Official DBD Discord server has multiple SWF voice channels for players. So while a few salty killer mains think that it is cheating - the official stance is that using comms is not cheating - I'll go by what DBD/BHVR considers cheating and not some bruised ego player(s).

As far as stream sniping - No I don't think BHVR should get involved - the streamers can handle banning people on their own since it is their channel. FYI I am a killer main and couldn't care less if I am against a SWF or a SWF on comms - then again I don't have ego issues and like a challenge (which is why I play the game).

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,522

Look on the bright side Streamers, when the Killer is in your stream you've doubled your audience.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

This, i have never streamsniped while playing killer, if a survivor TTV is in my lobby i'll check if their live, it's basically a diet SWF while not giving the killer a excuse for why they lost

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060

if you don't wanna risk getting stream sniped then don't advertise your stream.

People put TTV in their name so people know they are live streaming the game. I do not consider it cheating cause the twitch player literally tells people "yo I am streaming check me out"

• Gay Myers (Luzi)
    Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,427

After going through the thread and having to remove some comments, the thread will be closed as it's just a back and forth of the same comments and it has escalated quite a few times. Please remain civil and respectful when commenting, you can be such even if you are disagreeing with each other. Resorting to attacks or making assumptions about someone are not okay.

This discussion has been closed.