Hatch Hoverers are the Worst

Dragonshensi
Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

Down to two survivors. Almost got the last gen done. I’m wondering why didn’t the other survivor come with me to finish this last gen as we are almost done. I get downed and see him a ways away, just circling in place. He was waiting for me to die the whole time and not doing anything at all. I died and of course he got hatch. If you a survivor that finds the hatch and just stick to that area for the whole match you are a coward and a detriment to your team. Anyone else have any hatch hoverer stories?

Comments

• DecisiveDwight
    DecisiveDwight Member Posts: 593

Was in a match yesterday against deathslinger me and my friend did nearly all the gens ourselves with the exception of a Elodie who helped us along the way but mostly was getting caught then we find that a Zarina has been chilling opening chests probablylooking for keys. We start the 2nd from last gen and Death slinger comes over following you guessed it Zarina who then runs up to the gen and disappears once the killer chases my friend so she gets her first hook all game, I saved her and killer guns for me I manage to outlast the chase for awhile but he found Elodie hiding by a rock and last books her so she's now dead annoyingly but we push through getting that gen almost done until he finds the gen I lead him off while my friend finishes it then he books me for second time that match but while on hook killer found my friend and Zarina was chilling by the L wall and just was walking around that area instead of saving so I tell my friend to throw her under the bus but she can't make it in time and get hooked I'm now dead and hatch was visible she was say there telling my friend to let her go by dying. Luckily I have a tactic for people like her I told my friend to struggle until the last second and luckily killer had seen hatch before because he went straight there and killed Zarina who tried asking for hatch.

• Dragonshensi

That’s such a beautiful story. Why did she honestly expect your friend to die when she didn’t help out at all. Hatch hoverers tend to become chickens and hide near hatch the minute it spawns. Rest of your team be damned.

• DecisiveDwight
    DecisiveDwight Member Posts: 593

Worst part is she was rank 5 so now I do believe that rank means nothing for ages it felt like that was not true but MMR had really shown me the truth

• Dragonshensi

I would say maybe rank doesn’t mean much for survivor. But rank definitely does for Killer. Those killers have to earn that red rank. Anytime I have faced a red rank killer I never get out alive Or even close

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

Can we have a perk for either side that let's you see people that are staying within 10 meters of the hatch not in a chase and not doing anything useful if they've been there for 15 seconds or more?

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited March 2021
  • sonata93
    sonata93 Member Posts: 418

I had this a couple weeks ago. I was playing solo and got matched with a rank 5 Hillbilly as a rank 12 survivor. Between myself and two of the team we got 4 gens done, did multiple chases, and got hooked multiple times. There was a Claudette who didn't get hooked once, didn't help with gens, and just played stealthily the whole game (only cleansing totems which was the one useful thing she did). She waited for the last other survivor to die on hook and went straight for the hatch as she obviously already knew where it was.

I don't get it! Her score was pretty poor at the end, and had she helped we probably would've made it as a team or at least a three. Escaping isn't the ultimate end game, and some of my best scores have come from rounds where I've not escaped, but met the objectives and been super altruistic.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

I made a suggestion a while back, that hatch shouldn't pre-spawn because of situations like this.

Nothing is more frustrating than doing the work, then dying on first hook because someone wants the hatch. The only reason the killer catches you is because you're the only one progressing the game.

I do hope the new MMR takes escapes into account... the hatch hounds won't survive long.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

I don’t recall having a match like that. But once I had one where it was just me and one other survivor, we had all the gens done I got downed and hooked not sure if it was my first or second.

But anyway my teammate found the hatch and instead of opening a gate and coming to unhook, he just waited there at the hatch until I died. He probably wanted a few extra points.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160

If there's two of us left and I know the other is probably hanging out at the hatch instead of helping out I'll run killer to hatch to down me. Sometimes killer still gives person hatch but most times killer shuts it.

• Shannan2357
    Shannan2357 Member Posts: 20

I was playing survivor yesterday and had safely saved this guy and healed him multiple times and then the killer got me, I was on my first hook and it was just me and him left, he was crouched on the hatch the whole time and wouldn't try to save me even though the killer wasn't anywhere near me. Similar situations has happened multiple times recently to me :(

Also when I was playing killer a few days ago, there was a Nea and Dwight left. I couldn't find Nea anywhere and then seen the hatch and a locker right beside it so I checked it and there she was waiting on Dwight to die. So I hooked her and found Dwight and downed him but carried him to the escape because I felt bad she was just waiting on him to die and wasn't helping him. :)

• Dragonshensi

You know what’s just as bad as hatch hoverers? Survivors who haven’t been hung once, open the exit gate, and leave you on hook.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    edited March 2021

If there are only two survivors left then there is no longer a “team”. It’s down to either him or you. In these situations I’ll try to get the last gen fixed if at all possible, but if there’s more than one then repairing a gen means giving away your position with still no way to escape. In those situations I can understand the strategy behind staying away so I bear no ill will when that happens. Sometimes there are scenarios you aren’t privy to. Maybe he was doing the challenge where he needed to escape through the hatch 3 times.

• Dragonshensi
    edited March 2021

It was the last gen and I was like two seconds from finishing. I had saved him from hook and he could have just followed me and finished the gen. Instead he went right to hatch and as a thank you for me saving him he left me

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811

Exactly.

It depends on the situations. With a gen nearly done the best play there is to just finish it, while the other one is getting chased. But if there's no gen being done and you know the other dude is being chased, the best play is to go for the Hatch. There was nothing he could do, because:

• If he decides to unhook you, most likely both will die
    • He can't do gens because the Killer will find him

I will always suicide on hook if there's only me and another Survivor. There's no reason to struggle, and I hate the act of people who don't do the same.

• CountVampyr

And you checked to see if he had a key?

I’m honestly surprised that he chanced going straight to the hatch after being unhooked. Potentially leading the killer straight to it is that last thing I’d consider.

• redsopine00
    redsopine00 Member Posts: 905

I hover with a key and try leading my teammates to it to get as many as we can out with it only times I just leave is devour is in play.

• Dragonshensi

He didn’t have a key. Just went to hatch and hid and hoping I go first basically

• redsopine00

On topic me and a zarina was hovering the hatch indicating to our teammate get over hear before unhooking them against a no using there power camping legion got the nea off hook and me and her got downed ( I traded but he decided to tunnel) then he goes about doing slug for 4K and the zarina picks me up and leads the legion away boom I get nea up we heal up and ngl we waited there with a open gate so timers ticking down and he finally sees us we just hatched in front of him and the zarina gets out the gate.

you said hatch hovering and I was

• CountVampyr

Or maybe he figured that he was going to be tunneled off the hook and wanted to give you a chance to finish the gen. It could’ve gone down like that.

• redsopine00

To clarify I only hatch hover to grab as many as I can and lead others to it

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

Had a killer game where it got down to a Claudette and a Jake remaining with a couple of gens left. The Claudette was a really good looper and we ran around the whole map multiple times before she went down. I hooked her and went looking for the Jake, at which point I discovered that all of the remaining gens were at 0%.

Jake rescued Claudette and then stealthed away to go do nothing again while she got on a gen injured. At that point, just on the principle of the thing, I left Claudette alone and went and killed the Jake.

• Idontknowtbh
    Idontknowtbh Member Posts: 467

Arg, I hate that!

I played against a piggy yesterday who'd been chasing me for last gen with one hit and as soon as they finish, BAM, NOED (I would have been downed anyway). I see one teammate leaving one gate at 99%, I'm on my first hook and oiggybdecides to camp the ######### out of me. This one teammate started running around trying to find the totem. The other two were doing nothing at all. One even tried opening a chest near my hook. Piggy hears her and downs her.

I've already died by the time she hooks the second one to what the other do-nothing reacts by actually trying to find the totem, cleanses it and goes to unhook and I'm watching that like: why didn't you do that for me? I saved you once before and took the killer away from you so they wouldn't hook you again.

• Dragonshensi

I love when you use Kindred and it’s down to two people and you get hooked. You see that other survivor that hasn’t been helping for ages tbagging at the hatch begging me to die. I make sure to stay on hatch as long as I can in hopes he dies too.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,175

I mean I get what you're saying but you did word that in an odd way. I wouldn't go out of my way to fail skill checks on teammates doing gens just because I deem them useless or not deserving. Its a hard situation to assess but everyone can usually tell when they have teammates that don't do very much of anything in terms of getting out, whether thats having the killer chase them, gens, totems, taking a hit for others, etc. I don't go out of my way to hurt other people's games prior to the infamous 1 doable gen left but the other dude is hiding, but if I notice someone doing nothing and killer finds me first, whats the problem with bringing them over to the teammate who is just locker jumping or waiting for the hatch to open? Killer can make his mind up if he wants to stick on the chase with me (which I'm fine with) or switch targets and perhaps go for the other. I'm not forcing him to get the other guy first so I can escape. I have no problem both of us dying, if it happens, it happens.

Its up to the killer anyways.