Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

J-Flicks are definitely unintended, but they should be considered a tech

SkelXton
SkelXton Member Posts: 21
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

I have had a chance to read some of the post on the form regarding opinions on this technique, and I decided to create this post to organize my thoughts. I have heard both streamers and players call Jflicks an exploit (most often because they were hit by a blight using the technique) and argue on forms and twitch streams advocating for it's removal.

By definition, J-Flicks are definitely an exploit, but that does not mean it is unfair and needs to be fixed (Blight's hitboxes and the ability to pause the game to stop a rush is WAAAYYY more broken). In this post, my referment to 'Exploit' is to an bug which grants an unfair advantage to a player over another.

Regardless of what some might think, many games have unintended features as a result of a bug and Dead by Daylight is no exception. One prominent example is the tractor tech, which was removed at one point but reimplemented when the developers realized that it increased skill of play for both players, counter-play was available for both sides, and created additional depth to the game. In my opinion, the J-Flick is no different, and fits the same criteria as the listed example, and should be strongly considered as a tech before being patched out.

Here is the evidence for the reasons stated above:

1. Increases the skill ceiling of play for both players: Although some might believe that a J-flick is simply preformed by setting your mouse DPI to 10,000 and throwing your mouse across your house, there is more complexity to it. The action itself is very technical and requires a balance in speed and distance. If preformed poorly, you often will take too short of a turn, bump into a wall, or even make the turn but over flick and miss your target (By moving fast enough, it is possible to do full 360s and beyond). This creates a level of technique similar in complexity to Billy flicks, taking hours to master at different loops and structures.
  2. Counter to what some say, the J-flick is not as uncounterable as one might think. When a blight goes for a J-flick, they ride the wall of the structure in order to make as much distance out of their lunge as possible. If you suspect a J-flick coming (which will usually be attempted on a blight's final rush as they have no reason to not take the risk), you can simply run out from the pallet/window/passage the blight expects you to go and side step the flick. Both console and pc survivors can do this. Keep in mind that a blight can expect this and instead of flicking play the loop safe and take turns wide and catch you out in the open. Compare the depth of that interaction to a chad spirit with stridor phasing after an injured survivor.

J-Flick Dodge (KYF Example): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN2OR0MhM3o

(1v1 Example from Xeno): https://clips.twitch.tv/TriangularHonorableRadishEagleEye-ff8pK7qWlIsrpMsn

Killer Perspective (AscensionWho's Stream): https://clips.twitch.tv/AstuteHedonisticVultureJKanStyle-y70baKfNoWAlomrE

TLDR: It takes both physical and mental skill on both sides to outmaneuver the other, and a blight J-flick has more counter play than a phasing spirit with stridor (Take it how you will, but I don't like spirit xD). Bugs have often been called features by developers, and that is what I am hoping will be the case with the J-Flick.

Now to counter some commonly stated arguments: (I will add to this list as arguments are brought up)

Q1: "J-Flicks can only be preformed on PC, so it is an unfair advantage given to one platform"

A: PC is already at an advantage in many aspects of this game. To state a few: Better FPS and overall performance, Better load times, adding shaders to make survivor blood neon green, the ability to change your resolution to some absurd values to see over tall stuff and delete mind-gameable loops, the ability to use a sound equalizer to make survivor grunts and breathing impossible NOT to hear (should I go on?). This is a problem beyond just a single trick on one killer, or even the game as a whole.

There will always be a gap between the hardware capacity of a controller vs a mouse and keyboard. Period.

As for the J-Flick, the only hinderance for players on consoles being able to preform is the controller hardware itself because it just cannot preform as well as a mouse in the sensitivity department. IMO, Since the developers added crossplay there is no reason to not add Keyboard and Mouse support for console, and it boggles my mind that this is not something the devs see as important.

Additionally, it's already proven that the aim ceiling is much higher on K&M than console, so any deathslinger or huntress is going to play at a disadvantage on controller, but that doesn't seem to stop them from playing well does it. Same with Blight. Blight can preform decently well without the use of the J-flick by playing smarter around tiles. However it would be a shame to remove a very interactive feature to simply make a killer weaker on one platform to level a playing field.

The ideal solution to this problem is to add K&M support to console. That would fix all movement related balance issues for console vs PC players. The J-Flick is a minor thing compared to other glaring issues in balance with this game.

Q2: "Because *Insert-DBD-Streamer-Here* said it's needs to be patched, it needs to be patched."

A: Ok? I enjoy streamers and their content as well, but you should make a decision for yourself. It's fine for someone to have their own position, but you should look at both sides yourself to make your own decision. Living your life purely by the ideologies of others is going to make you a sheep of society, and I don't like grass all that much. If after your analysis you still agree with that position, that is completely fine. This post isn't about a right or wrong, is it an exploit or is it not an exploit, but rather a statement advocating that the J-Flick is a healthy unintended feature to the game.

Q3: "Because J-Flicks/bugs are unintended, they shouldn't be in the game."

A: This argument is so pathetic I really don't want to answer it. sigh

Plenty of good things in the world are the result of something unintended (or wrong). Unintended consequences in cooking resulted in many popular foods throughout the world: Potato Chips, Dumplings, etc. Just because something is not your main intention does not mean the result is bad or a failure. Good can come out of folly.

Q4: "What is your definition of a tech vs an exploit?"

A: I would state that a tech is a unintended feature which adds complexity, depth, a level of skill to a game. Now, I understand that some people wouldn't call J-Flicks a tech, but I disagree. The reasons that I stated in the post are a good foundation to my reasoning: Counterplay, Increased Skill Ceiling for players, and increased depth to character or play. The J-flick checks these boxes, while also staying outside the region of being completely busted.

The J-flick does have counterplay, and blight creates a unique and exhilarating chase. It takes a larger mental capacity than a M1 killer but is more fair to both sides than a nurse or spirit (spirits often have more tools to find you than you do to find them). Blight doesn't turn invisible, or teleport through walls.

I don't think that the use of tools outside of the game make something an 'exploit' inherently. There are many examples of exploits which don't require tools (such as crawling under hooks) which are much more game impacting than someone using a struggle macro by use of a turbo button on a third party controller.

It's possible that tech is not the exact word I'm looking for, but bugs have often been called features by developers, and that is what I am hoping will be the case with the J-Flick. We don't know everything about it yet, and it's possible that in the future people will figure out a way to do it more consistently on console (It's possible, but it requires the game to lag and is not consistently reproduceable)

Post edited by SkelXton on

Comments

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531

Especially when it's done without ass ######### your DPI

I've hit a few using my friends (very basic) mouse since mine broke a couple days ago and it feels damn good, just takes much much more violence and a higher base DPI

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Do whatever you want with it, just call a spade a spade.

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

Good question! I would be happy to answer!

I would state that a tech is a unintended feature which adds complexity, depth, a level of skill to a game. Now, I understand that some people wouldn't call J-Flicks a tech, but I disagree. The reasons that I stated in the post are a good foundation to my reasoning: Counterplay, Increased Skill Ceiling for players, and increased depth to character or play. The J-flick checks these boxes, while also staying outside the region of being completely busted.

The J-flick does have counterplay, and blight creates a unique and exhilarating chase. It takes a larger mental capacity than a M1 killer but is more fair to both sides than a nurse or spirit (spirits often have more tools to find you than you do to find them). Blight doesn't turn invisible, or teleport through walls.

I don't think that the use of tools outside of the game make something an 'exploit' inherently. There are many examples of exploits which don't require tools (such as crawling under hooks) which are much more game impacting than someone using a struggle macro by use of a turbo button on a third party controller.

It's possible that tech is not the exact word I'm looking for, but bugs have often been called features by developers, and that is what I am hoping will be the case with the J-Flick. We don't know everything about it yet, and it's possible that in the future people will figure out a way to do it more consistently on console (It's possible, but it requires the game to lag and is not consistently reproduceable)

Did that help?

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

While I completely understand your reasoning and I commend your ability to put your thoughts into words very well, I have to say I am not thrilled at the concept of having to mess with things like DPI/Macros and so on just so unlock a higher skill ceiling on a particular killer. I think of this as the same thing some people do with Spirit where they use really stupid things like Spacial sound (Which makes the game sound horrible) or presumably other ways of manipulating their sound for an advantage. (And this isn't explicity killers who do this, survivors have had a laundry list of similiar things like stretched res and so on)

I think it's unfair and quite an unhealthy thing to have.

It's not the same as say - rebinding the move left/move right command to Q/E for certain killers like Billy, Oni and even Blight because that's really simple and isn't intrusive.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,474
    edited March 2021

"counterplay" you didn't even read the post which in & of itself claimed that the "counterplay" of his "counterplay" has "counterplay"

It doesn't REMOVE counterplay, it adds a more skill based counterplay in which both sides have equal opportunity to outplay each other

and no you don't need to edit anything, I can press the built in DPI button on my mouse to double by sensitivity if I wanted to J flick consistently the technology already existed and even exists on like $10-$15 hardware

and also blight wasn't designed with console in mind, tough its the devs game and if they wanted to do something about bridging the control difference between pc and console they probably would have by now since its been 3.5 years

• SkelXton

Fair enough! The interesting thing about in game sensitivity is that the developer\s locked it in such a way that it almost makes no difference in game. I would just hope that the developers would leave the J-Flick alone, or even make it more accessible to those without a good mouse, and add keyboard and mouse support for console. At the end of the day, it comes down to a matter of opinion and whatever the developers decide to do with it.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Billy flick back when?

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Do you have video evidence of this counterplay?

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

I agree! Balancing is a huge issue with this game, because... it's not balanced. It can't be when you have killers which vanish for a period of time and reappear to hit you (pure guesswork), and a killer who can teleport through walls. On the other hand, coordinated Survivors can gen rush any one of these killers if they are not careful.

Blight is rough on console because the developers didn't optimize him well for the platform. The new patch should address a few of the issues, but mechanically I'd say he is the most fun out of the top 3 to verse. You can see him, and pallets are actually useful (and his biggest counter). He is strong in chase, but not in a "oh, I guess I didn't guess correctly out of 5 options" sort of way. The J-Flick mind games is similar in depth to a moonwalk mindgame any M1 killer (including blight, spirit, or nurse) can accomplish. If you expect it, you can outplay it. The rewarding feeling of dodging a J-Flick is just as good as running behind a killer who is moonwalking past a wall.

• SkelXton

It's a shame they killed that. Very interactive chase, with a high skill ceiling. I can respect a billy who destroys me at loops more than a nurse.

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

I know there is some out there. Let me record something and get back to you. But I've seen it done to AscensionWho

EDIT: Here is a link to an example I created with a friend. Remember, if a blight has rush tokens left, they will probably take the loop safe and not J-flick. On their last rush, it is likely for a blight to go for a J-flick at shack pallet or a safe window in order to reach you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN2OR0MhM3o

Post edited by SkelXton on
  • MasterGrit
    MasterGrit Member Posts: 331
    edited March 2021

Blight get like 1-4 J flick per match in average. I don't know why people hate J flick so much like they get J flick 20 times a match lol

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,410

If you want your exploit to become a feature, then how about we give blight's lunge the hitbox of a basic attack instead of a rectangle the same size as demo's. The "counterplay" of trying to dodge out like you might vs billy doesn't work when blight's hitbox covers almost 180 degrees. As you say this would just "increase the skill ceiling of play" right?

Or we could just fix him to the intended 90 degree cap that is already enough to counter almost any loop in the game.

I'm curious, why does having a higher dpi setting "increase skill ceiling" more than understanding the limitations of blights lunge and correctly anticipating where to bounce to get a hit? Or knowing where it's best to m1 instead of using his power?

One of these options requires game knowledge of tiles, and anticipation of what the survivor will do. The other requires changing a dpi setting and aiming well enough to hit an oversized survivor hitbox with an even more oversized lunge hitbox.

In other words, instead of correctly planning your bounces and anticipating the survivor, you can bounce, and if you guess wrong, probably get a hit anyway. This isn't "increased skill ceiling". It's being given a hit that you didn't deserve to land.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

Considering you need 3 hits, since survivors will always tap E to outplay one of your rushes, I'd say Blight's flick is balanced

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,754

Q1 answer won't happen. When asked about adding m&k support to the consoles, the answer given was "it's too much work". It has been about 5 years this game has been out, roughly 3 on console, and no such support. So no, this answer won't fly.

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

You bring up a lot of good points! Blight's hitbox is quite large, and does need some adjustment. However, there is a healthy balance between the two mediums. Too small, and survivors can run you like a bullfighter. There is definitely a need for adjustment in this department.

The J-flick, as you recognize, does not make up all of blight's strengths. That is true! Often the better play at loops is to patiently bump and predict where the survivor is going. If a blight is playing correctly, they will usually play patiently to wait out dh and only use a flick to style or on a last rush to turn a sharp corner. In the case of the later, it is surprisingly easy to counter more so than a spirit with stridor, or a nurse teleporting on top of you.

J-flicks do require map knowledge. Once you lunge you lose collision and can slide. At some loops, you can get stuck on debris at a loop and fail to connect a hit, or recognize when a survivor reaches a window and hit them when they vault.

It's an additional complexity which adds skillful interaction to the game, and to be frank is much more fair than a killer who blinks through just about anything (but even that has some counterplay, just like Jflicks)

It would be fine with me if they adjusted the game to support the J-Flick, even if they adjusted the hitbox. They did the same thing with the tractors on coldwind farm maps to leave the implementation of the tractor tech in a way which they felt was appropriate.

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

I mean, by definition exploit is an unintended feature, so yes it is an exploit.

However, J-flicks are more harmless than the fatigue cancel bug for nurse, which I did consider to be an exploit which needed to be fixed as it was an unfair advantage. As to counter play, there is counter-play for J-flicks but often players are too lazy to try to learn a new thing and get upset when something changes the looping meta in this game.

As to hardware, mouse DPI is less harmless than a struggle macro imo. If you disagree, that is completely fine since it is your opinion.

Example of J-flick counter-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN2OR0MhM3o

• SkelXton

They have stated this previously. It is a shame, but they can (and have) changed their minds. Remember how they said they would never add color blind mode?

Additionally, they recently asked about this feature in one of their surveys recently, so it isn't completely out there.

Tbh, there really isn't a good excuse as to why they shouldn't add K&M support, so really... that excuse from the developers doesn't fly.

If they still don't add support, I would at least hope some adjustment could be made to somehow incorporate the J-Flick into Bligh's kit in an intentional way rather than patch it out completely. I would be fine with something like that.

• SkelXton

Hey, if they find a way to implement J-Flicks that would be cool! I created this post because people have blown it out of proportion to other more glaring issues with the game.

Yes, that example was in a controlled environment, as it was to simply show the reality of counterplay. I have seen survivors do this in real games to strong blights, and it is possible. It is evident that one would need to know what something is in order to counter it.

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

Blight on controller was not optimized very well. All the developers would need to do is increase the maximum controller sensitivity limit in game. They could support it through natural means if they chose to do so. Or just add M&K support. Or both.

There are much more painful examples of mechanic abuse, such as instant teleport hit hag. Bind teleport to scroll wheel and instant smacks on whoever touched the trap before they can react.

Also, hardware is possible to use on console. There are M&K adapters, they just are not optimized for DBD.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,369

It could probably be considered a tech if it wasn't something that only PC players could do.

• KiwiCoattails
    KiwiCoattails Member Posts: 566

*Googles what a j-flick is*

• SkelXton

It already does though. Aim is a large factor in a lot of the ranged killers. Regardless, this is a matter of opinion at this point, however seeing that the game is crossplay enabled, M&K should be de facto.

• SkelXton

See Q1 but I do hope someone finds a consistent way to pull these kind of flicks off on console.

• Zenro
    Zenro Member Posts: 319

Blight is horrible on console and needs to be better. Its ridiculous and should be more like pc movement. But besides all that you mentioned consistent counterplay. Honestly i dont think any killer should have consistent counterplay. If the counterplay is consistent then the killer is probably garbage and can be beaten "consistently". I would much rather have skillful counterplay that may only work based on the survivor and killers skill not based on the limitations of the killers kit.

• 1nsignia
    1nsignia Member Posts: 306

Yeah I that's what I don't get. It started out saying it was overpowered, as if one flick would win the game for them. Then everyone posted videos of tutorials of people getting flicks. Belaive it or not the videos will show the gameplay when they're in a custom or a bad team to help you understand. Because if they tried against a good team, it wouldn't be possible let me tell you. There are people who no how to counter with experience against it, not just piggy backing saying that they've encountered heaps of them and they lost to them. Look for a casual game of a person using this, you'll see how easy it is to counter.

All I want is for the dev's to optimize him for console as they are at a disadvantage. Bit remove a fun mechanic because you can't do it, that's childish. Instead try to get it as a feature. No make sure that it becomes a feature. Even if it takes a long time.

Smae can be said about nurse saying she has no counter play. You can't expect yourself a average survivor to achieve the Same skill as a killer who has dedicated their time into that killer for more. But it's not always the survs fault. She's versed more surfs than you have nurses. Put that into thought. She's had more experience than you had. So blame the lack of nurses for survs lack of counter towards her. But this isn't nurse.

The same thing said about nurse can be said about blight. You need to verse more of them to understand how he works and to counter him.

• SkelXton

huh, still that has less of a counter than a blight turning around.

• SkelXton
    edited March 2021

Sure, logically if only one party can do it then yeah it is unfair. But, rather than just delete a interesting unintended mechanic that increases the skill ceiling for both survivor and killer, add a feature to the game that allows players to use mouse and keyboard controls on console.

Boom! Problem solved! Everyone is happy.

It just sucks that they are so stubborn about some things, but stubborn does not mean that they won't do it. I mean, they added color blind mode out of the blue after someone said they would never add it. If they programmed their game in such a drastic way for console so that mouse and keyboard support was difficult to implement, that is their fault, and not the reason they should ignore a glaring issue.

They added crossplay. They. Have. No. Excuse. Anymore.

It's not too difficult to add mouse and keyboard support to a game which supports controller on the PC.

Additionally, J-Flicks are such a tiny thing. It is completely possible to play blight on console better than someone on PC, even if they can J-Flick, by playing with good bump logic. Flicks are not the end all be all of blight, but they certainty are not something to be discarded because of inaccessibility.

How do you expect a company to improve and reform if you buy into the stuff they say? " It's to hard "? " More Skins "! It's just lazy, and doesn't encourage improvement from a game you enjoy.

• JPLongstreet

Tried that with Hag on Xbox1x. Because of the frame rate drop whenever she teleports (.3 to .5 sec freeze) insta hits with her are darn near impossible. It's one of the primary reasons she is so little played.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Having consistent counterplay means having counterplay that doesn't revolve around the killer screwing up or getting breathtakingly unlucky. Blight at small loops, Huntress/Billy/Oni at maze tiles, Trapper and avoiding grass, etc.

• JPLongstreet

I agree with you it's better to get such a tech available on all platforms rather than squelsh it on PC. There's the hang up though, and yes it's all at the devs doorstop.

Say more time passes, and neither m&k support comes nor are any adjustments made to handle this flick. With it in the limelight now more PCrs will attempt it and some will master it. Is it now fair to continue to allow this tech or any other that is absolutely not possible on console?

• Grimmy_Bluues
    Grimmy_Bluues Member Posts: 354

While some unintended things in games can be good, this does not appear to be one of those things.

K&M already has an advantage over console, so it's kind of a bad idea to give PC players even more of an advantage with exploits like this.

I don't know how people can think Blight hitting completely around corners is fair, it literally makes him similar to Nurse where you are basically helpless if they're good. At most, Blight should be able to turn 90 degrees, maybe even 110 or so if you want to be generous. However, this is just my opinion.

Blight is already really good, plus he's getting his POV adjusted which will make him even better, so he really doesn't need to be able to do this.

• 1nsignia
    edited March 2021

That's just stupid. Thats the equivalent of someone getting chocalate, and then you throwing it on the floor because you can't have some. When instead you can ask for some.

So instead of removing this feature, make it base kit. Give console better fps through the choice of graphic slides and higher sensitivity. Boom everyone has it.

Edit: autocorrect exists

• voorheesgt
    voorheesgt Member Posts: 827

^^^^^ this EXACTLY!

If having an advanced mouse with more range settings gives you the ability to do things someone using a joystick can't accomplish eventually with just talent, it's an exploit.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896
    edited March 2021

Just walk away from the loop if you know he's gonna j flick. Not that hard to understand. Plus if a blight knows how to j-flick you already are gonna lose because not all blights can do that and if they can that probably means that they're better than the average blight in every way. I'm talking 90% of their hits are in power and they know how to use power around ~90% of the loops in the game.

Post edited by Brimp on
  • Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Nice lie. I have been using it ever since I started this entire discussion with my "since when can blight 180 hit" post.

I would say 70% of my attacks are J flicks because survivors keep trying to hide behind rocks or trees when I attack.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

They did increase the sensitivity and blight is still locked at 30 degrees for lunge. They really need to fix him on console.

• Profezia
    Profezia Member Posts: 673

You're acting as if the counterplay it's removing takes so much skill and practice to pull off.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896

Not gonna lie, I think it's bad if most of your hits are j flicks unless you do them purely for practice/fun since getting into that habit especially now since it's becoming more publicized is gonna rob you of a lot of hits when someone knows about it. Now if all the survivors loop is the cars on badham/autohaven then yeah it would usually result in a j flick.

• 1nsignia

Well maybe In the future they'll put it in, we don't know. Sure they're are slow at implementing stuff but they getit in the long run. They did this with higher sense for console last year. Plus they'll need optimise the console versions from the graphic overhauls.

I just don't like the idea of removing a new fun and skillful mechanic because its inaccessible to others when you can urge the dev's to add it to his base kit.

• 1nsignia

Well that's the survivors fault for believing a rock or tree would save them.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited March 2021

devs locked his turning, players on pc are overcoming that with sources outside the game that other platforms can't replicate.

The counterplay isn't counterplay and regardless this makes it incredibly dumb to try to juke or make a blight who is good at this miss, the skill ceiling doesn't get raised since in the first place this isn't that hard to pull off if you have the tools to do so and like spirit you can easily get used to J-flicks especially with the amount of chances you have to use it.

This is dumb and needs to be addressed, if you are arguing for this you should instead be arguing for blights lunge out of lethal rush to be changed so it is similar to this while also being available on all platforms.

If the devs do not won't that for him then too bad this should be addressed as it is an unfair exploit only available to one platform and turns an otherwise fun and skillful killer into an easier one that is unfun to verse, yes using a macro or whatever to do those otherwise impossible hits makes him easier once you get used to it in other words it lowers his skill ceiling.

What makes blight hard and skillful is both landing the lethal rush hits and setting them up, lets all be honest it isn't that hard to learn how to effectively J-flick. J-flicks open up many, many, MANY hits that are otherwise impossible which in turn reduces the amount of situations where you need to set up a hit as well as makes landing those hits easier which in turn lowers his skill ceiling. This simply should be addressed and at best Blight should have his lethal lunged tuned.