How is face camping a hook allowed?

So I've played 4 matches, and so far I've had 4 killers camp my hook! How and why should that be allowed? Fully its a 4v1 game, however whenever I'm a killer I never stop others preventing saves, find it takes the fun out of the match and is a little unfair??? Am I genuinely the only players that finds this a little moody? ๐Ÿ˜‚

ยซ1

Comments

• SammiieK1991
    SammiieK1991 Member Posts: 686

I dunno man maybe it's cos as a killer I don't tend to camp and disallow his or her team to unhook mates and have a little longer match run?, also can't see how that would benefit the killer, by the time that persons 2 gens are fixed so basically wasting their time as well? ๐Ÿค”

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

Because it hasn't been addressed?

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Run kindred, play with friends or rank up. You will find less face campers at higher ranks because it only works on newb survivors.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

It only benefits the killer if the Survivors who aren't hooked let it benefit the killer.

The killer has basically decided to gamble on the survivors being more interested in trying for the unhook than they are doing gens. If the Survivors do gens instead of falling for it, they'll get out and he'll get nothing but a loss and a single kill for his time. If it happens to that killer often enough, he will change tactics, or just be stuck with the potatoes forever

• SammiieK1991

Cheers guys I was just confused... but but again its "what I'd do and others do are 2 different things" lol, thanks for the reassurance. I know there's way to counter it. Like my pal, just had the shut on him, and teabagged one door so he went to other side and escaped then got a salty message from the killer, telling him to basically get a life and called him a Pร—ร—ck.

• Breque
    Breque Member Posts: 427

Cause the devs are to lazy to find an good way of dealing with camping

• AsherFrost

I will never understand why people bother talking ######### after they lost the match. Definitely a sign that the issue is with them, not you.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,710

It's allowed because removing player agency is a terrible idea. They can discourage it sure, but they really cannot remove the player's ability to do something, that's just terrible game design. It's frustrating for sure, but ironically enough, removing the ability to do so entirely would be even less healthy.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Because Player agency matters? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are a new Player and the Killers you are facing are also new. We all go through the Potato stage, and Killers largely grow out of it the second Survivors start punishing them for what is usually a non-productive approach. Does this mean you are going to enjoy that hook a lot at the start and stare into the ugly mug of one of the Killers? Probably. But the game goes on and it does happen less. I can't remember the last time anyone sat point blank and stared at me.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

Because Borrowed Time exists.

And a slew of other perks to juke a face camper

• Jack_TheJolteon
    Jack_TheJolteon Member Posts: 128

If the Killer is camping you on the hook he is completely throwing the game, just because you died from a camping Killer doesn't mean it isn't allowed, don't be an easy target to be downed in 5 seconds, and if the killer is camping do the gens and leave, it's that simple, also comparing how you play to another killer is idiotic considering not every killer will lay like you and compring others to your gameplay is just childish

• JasmineDragon
    JasmineDragon Member Posts: 372

the solution is to make hook proximity slow the sacrifice timer. I am yet to see any explanation as to how this wouldnt instantly fix the problem entirely

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

What were your teammates doing during this?

• JasmineDragon

I mean if its that much of a problem surv proximity could counter the counter but that seems needlessly excessive. I see no world in which any survivor playing against a similarly ranked killer loops that close to a killer without also going down. And either way you really dont want survs dying by taking multiple hook states per hook. Ideally a 4k is 12 hook states, so once again, I don't see this as an issue in any way. The objective in hooking someone should always be to score 1/12 hook states. If we are trying to counteract camping, then a killer trying to kill someone on one hook is being punished by face camping.

As a killer main, who plays 90% killer, I can very confidently say that, if a surv can keep looping a killer in that close proximity to a hooked person, I see no possible negative for game health. The killer needs to be pressuring, they aren't doing that by camping, they should never be rewarded for camping. Its unhealthy practice if a killer wants to score well and its unhealthy for the state of the game

• JasmineDragon

while thats true, there IS still an issue with this at lower ranks (white/yellow) and this would certainly fix that

• AsherFrost

I believe that was attempted once, and all that ended up happening is survivors looping straight to the hook in every chase, sometimes running around it. One of those ideas that sounds great in theory, but is too easy to abuse

• JasmineDragon

I still don't understand how. Wasn't this before the entity blocked vaults? I see no world in which an evenly matched group outloops any modern killer for an extended period.

even then, free hits/downs mean free hook states.

• SammiieK1991

You want any vinegar with that salt or you okay? I was genuinely just interested. Wasn't necessarily mocking how the killer plays. What I'd do and others do are different things pal. Was looking to see if other players have the same issue or not playing survivors.

• amybeth5890
    amybeth5890 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2021

Iโ€™ve been playing this morning and itโ€™s just one camping killer after another. Itโ€™s not just low ranks, everyone Iโ€™m playing with is rank 5 or higher killer. Both PC and console. Itโ€™s like they just want to suck the fun out of the game. I just donโ€™t understand the benefit of being toxic.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687

Face camping sucks. It's happened to me countless times but to some killers, it's a legitimate strategy. Especially when they notice your teammates are altruistic to hell. Other times, the killer only screws himself with a 1k (which is unfortunately the camped person in this case). Honestly I'm never upset when I'm getting face camped if my teammates are ignoring him and me dangling on that fine hook. As long as they're doing gens... I will stay in the struggle phase until I can't no more which is usually when my team gets 2-3 gens done with him camping. They usually finish it pretty quickly after my death. Sometimes randoms aren't complete potatoes. Other times I'm shaking my head because I see all three of their auras racing in for the save. I've been at the receiving end of face camping and it is so so annoying, I feel you. Sucks to have your bout of fun ripped from you in that very second.

I'd advise to play with friends. Had a match the other night with my friends and low and behold a camping Bubba. He had our friend on a hook and was camping. Now in this case, since the teammates aren't randoms, we devised a plan and it worked. It's not impossible to beat out a face camping / camping killer, it just needs a solid plan.

• alecsharks
    alecsharks Member Posts: 10

Killing 1 or 2 survivors Is literally the only thing killers can hope for in such a poorly balanced game.

It's either they camp the hook or they leave and get kited until you get revived. Maybe if the devs didn't do such a piss poor job at balancing they wouldn't feel the need to camp the hook.

• amybeth5890
    amybeth5890 Member Posts: 2

As someone who plays both and has played a game with survivors in the red ranks, while Iโ€™m a rank 13, I feel this. I even understand after I die and I see that they were new to killer or to the character. But when itโ€™s someone experienced with a high rank and perks from multiple killers....how do you actually enjoy the game? Half the fun is the chase man.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Facecamping is removing the facecamped survivor's agency. They have no other option but to hang there and die. So it's still terrible design.

• Jack_TheJolteon
    Jack_TheJolteon Member Posts: 128

How am i being Salty bud? you asked a dumb question so i gave you a smart* answer

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,244

It gets better as you rank up. New survivors don't have perks to defend themselves. New killers don't know how to patrol and find other survivors, so they camp.

The grind is so absolutely absurd for a new player that it takes at least 50 hrs to have basic self defense perks unlocked on a single character.

• UnentitledBunnyMan
    UnentitledBunnyMan Member Posts: 313

If he's face camping as a M1 killer just need 2 survivors for a safe save, 1 guy go fake save and take a hit, another dude go for real save. Running BT will help too. @ low ranks killers tend to face camp because randoms will all swarm to the hooks but dare not save, wasting time doing nothing, make the game a ez win for killer. BT is a perk on the free character Bill.

Just do gens and go for the save when he's near p2. Btw if the hooked one is not good enough which means he will be downed after BT save 20 seconds, I won't bother to go for the save cause he can waste more time for the killer totally 120 seconds for u to do gens. After doing 2 gens if your teammate sucks just go for the hatch.

• UnentitledBunnyMan
    edited March 2021

BTW if it's totally fine for a survivor holding M1 camping gens for 80 seconds what's so wrong for a killer go camp a hook for 120 seconds? Survivors tunnel gens all the time: will u ever go for a 0% gen after u r saved/won a chase rather than go to a 50% gen? The gens pop up so fast it's not fun for the killers too. If u r any good u won't get downed at all sometimes, and there r so many loops, pallets, windows on the map but u just don't know how 2 use them effectively, and u deserve to die because u r not good enough to live. Don't complian about your opponent while u r already lacking opponents who r willing to play with u, git gud. Playing as killer grant a instant lobby 24/7 these days while playing as survivor queue forever

In those old days while everybody was camping, survivors won't rush hooks at all, they just do gens and go for save when hooked is about to be P2, and with the old BT camping killer can't down anyone unless he body block basement stairs and run out BT timer.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,710

Except it's not removing that player's agency at all, there are still a series of choices you could make. You could stay on hook to give your teammates more time. You could have prepared beforehand by bringing in perks such as deliverance and D-Strike, and then put them to use in the match. You could try to signal to your friends to come get you by either using perks like Borrowed time, or just bunching up and making things difficult for the killer. Getting facecamped is not the devs removing your agency. In fact, getting face camped is not something the devs did at all. It's like spawn camping or spawn peeking in online shooter games. They didn't design anything to specifically let players do that, it's a side effect of the game's overall design. And it's a side effect that can only be discouraged, not outright stopped, because in those cases too, it would be removing player agency.

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062

Yep. It's BS that someone is allowed to completely stop another player from being able to play and people call it a "strategy". It's blatant griefing.

• SammiieK1991

Don't understand the whole "gen rush" strategy or where it comes from if I'm honest mate... I mean it its a minute and half to complete, hardly a 30 second thing. By the time a killer has teabagged the poor twat on the hook 3 gens will be fixed would they not? So in theory it doesn't work out a killers favour. The same issue happened today by the time 1 of our survivors died from camping that hook 3 gens were popped and the 4th was half done just as the survivor eventually got caught and so forth, at that point he rage quit. Obviously I creased up laughing at the quit and just thought if you started off teabagging and then tunnelled the second and teabagged again the gens will be done in that time.. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ can't get me nut round how anyone can say it's a gen rush when if you're camping what the hell do you expect?

Lastly buddy it's "get good" .... ๐Ÿ‘

• UnentitledBunnyMan

Like I said low ranks when fighting against random potato heads. When survivors r a bit decent camping hook = losing game of course, but sometimes a killer is too weak and he can't secure his 1 kill without camping. Anyway if anyone camp hook but he is using a killer who can't instant down the Savior then he is an idiot. If I was ghost face camping the hook I will hide near and use the stalk power, he standing in front of hook shows he is a total noob.

• UnentitledBunnyMan

I never said gen rush. Gens r survivors' object, and I'm totally fine with survivor doing gens. I'm not fine when survivor calls a killer camper/tunneller, because survivors do tunnelling and camping all the time. Sometimes a killer has to camp for a 1 kill and sometimes it's a winning strategy for example baiting basement: faking go for another survivor but instantly go defend the basement hook and down the savior, get another hook before they can leave basement or trade a hook @ least. Just don't ######### about it when survivors are always doing the same thing

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

You are reaching so very, very hard with those examples. Mostly because they are so innaccurate as to be outright false.

The only "build" that counters facecamping is Slippery Meat, DS, UB, SG and 4 massive luck offerrings. Otherwise, your only choice is to hang there and do nothing. Facecamping someone removes all their options completely unfairly.

• sesawyer3127
    sesawyer3127 Member Posts: 342

Its just lazy game play to camp,,,killers hook and sit there,,,where is the fun in that? But if thats the way you have to win good on you.

• PotatoPlayer
    PotatoPlayer Member Posts: 102

I agree that player agency has a lot to do with it. Especially for new killers, they gotta start somewhere, and that's why facecamping is a tip in the tutorial.

As a survivor main with Kindred 100% of the time, I empathize big time for facecamped people. I saw it maybe one every 5 games at yellow ranks, and am proxy camped every 4 games. It sucks, but as a survivor main, our only agency (ESPECIALLY if you're facecamped on first hook and no one rescues you, so you can't use your perks lol) is to decide whether we should stay or not, until a teammate comes for us (or not).

In choosing to struggle or suicide, we quicken or delay our next game in which our circumstances are different. And more often than not for me, they ARE different, so it encourages me to dwell on a sucky game with a facecamper and move on.

• SammiieK1991

But how can someone camp a gen? The whole purpose of the game is to fix the gens. I don't get the whole "oh well it's the same as survivors camping the gens" instead of camping that poor sod on the hook, why not go and patrol and round the gens for the ones "camping" them. Cant hold up one person on the hook then complain 3 gens at a time then are being fixed ๐Ÿ˜‚ of course noones gonna go for that save if you're standing there. Why would you put a risk on your game to be sand bagged for a save. You're just gonna be bait and slug the one that was on the hook and the person that saved them ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

• UnentitledBunnyMan

If survivor can't camp gens because gens are his object then killers can't camp hooks because hooks are his object. I go find a gen, I kick it, just like u unhook a survivor, then after I leave or not even leave very far, the camping gen survivor come back to my gen and tunnel it again. Tunneling means forcing on 1 object while ignoring other objects, which is exactly a survivor always doing: camp near a 50% gen and after killer leave immediately go tunnel it again. If survivors thinks killers should go for a 0 hooked rather than a 2 hooked survivor then by same logic survivors should go do 0% gens after a killer kick a 50% gen.

• Lascivar
    Lascivar Member Posts: 41

While your typing leaves a lot to be desired, you actually somewhat make a reasonable point.

Survivors will often return to a generator that's already progressing, because it's faster to get that objective done. In this same sense, killers often return to an injured (or even freshly unhooked injured) survivor because it's faster to get their own objective done as well.

Each team has their objectives, how they go about it is up to them. People can and should play by their own rules that make the game enjoyable for themselves.

• SammiieK1991

Again I don't get the "survivor camping gens" how can you camp a gen just sit there and stare at it? ๐Ÿ˜ณ

• SammiieK1991

Also I usually go for a save take a hit and put on a hook (fair enough at your own risk part of the game after all ain't it?) And half the time the one that's been saved, runs off to self heal goes back on the gen i stopped working on and none of them come back for me ๐Ÿ˜‚ exactly the same with the hatch at the end. If I'm the last 2 survivors and I'm hooked, bastards don't come back for the save, they wait for me to die and chip down the hatch. I'm glad half the killers have that common sense now to find the hatch at the start and lock it most of the time now. Do it properly, grow some balls get your team and chip for the EG. I'm survivor main, but you gotta give the killer a good time as well and make it fair both sides.

• UnentitledBunnyMan

By staying near the half done gen when killer is preassuring it and after killer leave immediately go tunnel the camped gen

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060

How is repairing generators allowed?

• SammiieK1991

It's not apparently ๐Ÿ™„ if we started fixing gens then we're gen camping ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ so we're only allowed for be camped on a hook or chased, gen fixing not allowed ๐Ÿ˜‚