Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why do people judge your skill by rank

Dingo88
Dingo88 Member Posts: 219

As far as I'm concerned rank does not defy how skilled a player is

Comments

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Honestly the only rank I genuinely think does define your skill a bit is being rank 1 (at least for survivor). If somebody consistently stays rank 1 it means they can run the killer for a significant amount of time, do gens, and not farm teammates in the average game. It actually requires a bit of skill to consistently stay rank 1!

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited March 2021

Because generally speaking the game makes it way too easy to rank up currently and the poor rank reset change means it's almost impossible to go down. It needs to be significantly harder.

Someone can be quite bad and still get to rank 1. IE if someone still can't get to rank 1 given that, they are definitely not very good.

The ranking is quite flawed don't get me wrong, but it does mean something.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

Because they are given nothing else to go off of.

At this point rank is more a sign of how much time you play each week, but people need a reason to feel above others or something to blame for their defeat, hence ranks.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

As a Steam player I find going off of people's playtime much more reliable. I have around 1,200 hours and if I get teammates who only have like 100 - 300 hours I will dodge. No other game will match a player that has 1,200 hours with other players who have ~100.

• ProfGameAndTalk
    ProfGameAndTalk Member Posts: 326

I think the ranking system is weird, but I expect ranks 1-3 to be really good at the game. I can work gens all day and my buddy loops the survivor all day. We have lots of fun but black pip most of the time. Yes, that's on the killer for not breaking off the chase but we escape plenty of times and our rank doesn't go up. I'm not salty about that, there's more to the game than being one-dimensional and I think those high ranks do a bit of everything to get the BPs necessary to rise and stay there.

• Dingo88

I still think people need to stop asuming as say a rank 1 killer plays a new killer there not necessarily going to he good with them there is no need to judge if they bad or good at end of game

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

I can see where you are coming from, but I disagree with the method.

You can play 2k hours in this game and be trash, you can play 100 hours and be great at the mechanics. If it works for you, more power to you. I'm a console scrub, so the closest I could get would be comparing achievements, but honestly I just don't bother. Even if I get crap teammates it just means a quick match.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Rank means nothing, DBD requires very little skill when it comes to survivor all you need is knowledge and be efficient and that's where the skill lacks. The biggest skill killer in this game is altruism, the about of people trading straight away or multiple people going for hooks even though kindred is showing someone else has gone is insane. Like seriously if people played smart you wouldn't need to have skill. Near every loop is mirror what the killer does or stand at certain vantage points to safely make the window/pallet. Very few killers actually have full control of loops, but people's lack of knowledge is what hurts them

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405

Hmmmm I guess I have about 60 hours on steam, but I have about a 1k hours on ps4. I'm still not good, but I'm not horrible. I think this method is not really reliable and, since you are on steam, you can always talk to your teammates prior to the match.

Also, I know many people with 1,5k+ hours that don't know how to avoid a basic 3 gen situation or how to counter basic killer strategies.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited March 2021

Only newbs and noobs think rank is important. I stopped judging by rank the first time I got a squad of 20s and they were all using meta perks. Clearly a group that took a long break and came back. It could just be me but since the ruin rework the amount of red survivors has quadrupled and most of them can't even loop. I constantly get red survivors that drop a pallet, I plant a trap right there, then they vault the pallet and step in the trap. "Really? You just saw me plant that. How did you get out of green ranks?"

• Dingo88

I would say playing killer helped me alot to becoming a good survivour as I know how there powers work and what counter plays there are you get some people that have never played killer and dony understand and its usually them that judge

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184