I dodge all key lobbies.

Options

Hey guys, this is a question for everyone, how do you deal with keys? Personally, I have gotten so tired of seeing them that I just dodge every lobby that I see that has a key in it. I don’t like matches ending so quickly just because they used an item, and I don’t like being forced to tunnel them out of the game. Is there a more efficient way to deal with this?

Comments

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

The best thing you can do is equip franklins. Tunneling someone out of a match because they brought a game mechanic is kinda dumb but it's however you wanna play. I guess you could just try to get the key survivor out first.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

I play normally. If the key works then whatever, at that point either I've lost or they've lost, I couldn't care less. I don't know if I'm really lucky or what, but I've seen multiple survivors escape via the hatch a whopping 2 times in the 2 and a half years I've been playing this game. I've seen a single survivor use a key maybe less than 10 times so I don't get all the fuss surrounding keys, they rarely ever do anything in my games.

• KrazyKatFTW
    KrazyKatFTW Member Posts: 203
    Options

I've started dodging keys as survivor because they usually end up being ######### games because the killer will take it as a cue to play like a dick and/or you get abandoned by your teammates who brought in the key

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Options

I do the same, just dodge you've got enough things to have to worry about playing killer without adding a key on top of it.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,276
    Options

I just throw Franklins on

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

try to get the key user out without tunneling if that makes sense.

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069
    Options

Why should i? Both, bringing a key and tunneling are just game mechanics and valid tactics.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

Why not slap on Frankey's demise?

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,124
    Options

90% of matches don't even make it far enough for the hatch to spawn, so I wouldn't bother.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I bring franklin's and i try to hit the person with the key first, so they don't know I have it until it's too late, then I hook them and go back to where the key was dropped and watch the entity eat it.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I'll always dodge keys. A match with a key will just never be a good match.

DbD is a game of scales. At the start of the game the scales are completly to the survivor side. But everything that happens in the match slowly makes the scales go to the killer.

Injures require healing. Pallets get used, survivors need to be unhooked when gens get done the patrol area of the killer gets smaller etc etc.

And once the scales are tipping towards the killer it's very hard to tip them back. Especially once a survivor dies the progress of survivors tend to grind to a halt.

The thing with keys is that they come on effect usually right as the scales start tipping.

A match with a key has 3 outcomes

1) you destroy the survivors before the key comes into play. And yes you've won but stompfest aren't exactly the most enjoyable matches.

2) the survivors destroy you making the key redundant. Being at the losing side of a stompfest is even less enjoyable.

And 3) you face survivors of your level and right when things start going in your favor the game is over. That's like playing a racing game and the plug being pulled out when there is one more lap left. It's extremly unfun to have a game that could have been good just end in such a anticlimax.

9/10 when survivors escape with a key they really still had a chance to win normally

So yeah it's just not worth it to play against keys. And as long as survivors can escape without doing all the gens it will never be worth it to play against a key. Cause it robs you of what could have been enjoyable matches

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

It depends on which killer I'm on. if I'm on a Killer who can handle it like PH or Slinger, I'll tunnel the key user out of the game. If I'm not, I'll probably dodge.

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030
    Options

I usually tryhard when I see keys, usually with Devour+Undying+Ruin or something similar. I don't dodge keys because I'm better than most other killers those people face (not trying to brag, most killers aren't very good at the game) and I would prefer them wasting the key on me than use it to bully someone else.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Idk, maybe i'm just lucky, but Keys aren't really used on Hatches in my trials until one holding it is the last one left.

I'm not completely happy these Items exist, they feel like miniature versions of the old BNPs.

But at least they're not old BNPs.

I play against these people like any other people, changing my behavior cause they have Keys is against my nature.

• GamerGirlFeng
    GamerGirlFeng Member Posts: 277
    Options

You don't like keys because you don't want the match to end too quickly.. so you make the game end faster by tunneling out a player if you don't back out all together.

Oookay.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

Lol. How does one “bully” with a key? That makes zero sense. How many people actively taunt you with keys?

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030
    Options

Bullying isn't just taunting. 2 survivors getting hatch after 3 gens are complete and making fun of them in the endgame chat is also bullying, which is a very common thing I see.

• swarmofdogs
    swarmofdogs Member Posts: 12
    Options

If I see a key or if the majority of the group has items I equip Franklin's. I've seen people tilt and throw the game because they wanted to retrieve their precious key or purple items badly.

But if you feel better dodging or "tunneling," do what you have to. You don't have to follow anyone's silly made up house rules.

• lupo_grigio
    lupo_grigio Member Posts: 126
    Options

well, i imagine that for a competitive person, it is pretty frustrating to be doing well all game, and lose due to bs

• FreddysMain
    FreddysMain Member Posts: 289
    Options

I only bring a key if I am trying to get the hatch trophy. Seems like never :/

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

I will dodge depending on what killer I'm playing as but for the most part I just try to play around the key by either eliminating the key user before 3 gens are done or use Franklin's. Thankfully most key users also bring a hatch offering so I know where to go if the hatch spawns to shut it down before multiples can escape.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

That has nothing to do with keys. Those kinds of people are going to mock you in chat regardless of what they were carrying. It’s impossible to bully with a key. Flashlight? Maybe, but anything else the idea is absurd.

• UnentitledBunnyMan
    UnentitledBunnyMan Member Posts: 313
    Options

I go afk as killer when playing on gedion meat pack plant. Can't Handel those pallets lol

• kyogul
    kyogul Member Posts: 491
    Options

If only I could dodge all lobbies with users using Dead Hard, playing killer would be 100% more enjoyable.

Give me a key lobby any day. Tired of DH and survivor's third chance perks.

• Wrathclaw88
    Wrathclaw88 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Key change the way killer play - same way by me when someone uses OoO - you can play it - no problem, but with this you got my attention to the very end of the game. Its supertoxic - All survivors complained about old good mori - but Keys allows not just one person to leave the game (like the mori) it allows everyone to escape. Its a very bad feeling the key - hatch mechanic. Even if you play like a god as a killer, you may be rewarded with [Bad word].

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

Play normally

At the end of the day it's only a 2 man or more hatch escape that damages me, and I don't let that happen anyway.

Also ever thought maybe a survivor is running a key for the blood amber build? I do it a lot, I never use a key for a hatch escape unless the hatch has already been closed by the killer

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

The funniest lobbies are those where it's 3 toolboxes and a key. Really guys? you feel like you actually need them?

Your options are dodge or franklins. I usually dodge, the game is hard enough without allowing them an early escape. I probably wouldn't be as bothered but if they get down to 1 gen and then 3 jump out I'm looking at ENTITY DISPLEASED and less points. So why bother? why would anyone accept a game where the other side gets a shortcut to victory? it makes no sense.

Sometimes though I'm not bothered. I'll go in with franklins for the sole intention of taking their key for the fun of it.

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516
    Options

Key users are more of detriment to their teammates than the killer. Key users play really selfishly and do not risk their necks much due to desperately wanting to get out with hatch. They won’t go in for the save or work on gens. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had key users screw me over as a teammate.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,924
    Options

Although my focus will be directed more to removing the keyholder earlier, I play mostly as I would any other match.

The keyholder is the most dangerous survivor, due to how much a match can be swerved from a decent outcome to a disaster. Therefore, it's quite possible that anyone who has a key for a match and knows the killer would have seen it would be mentally preparing themself to be targetted moreso. If they don't, then they're either relatively new or ignorant.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,981
    edited March 2021
    Options

Agreed, best you could do is hope you get an AFK or farming killer which is really unlikely :/

Even then, it'd still be difficult to get the other three to go in the hatch. Unless you're SWF.

• PotatoPlayer
    PotatoPlayer Member Posts: 102
    Options

Ngl keys don't help me whatsoever, I somehow never find the hatch with or without em LOL.

I'm rn in the process of prestiging, so I have lots of items and add-ons to burn. That's the only reason why I bring keys (and flashlights) haha. Never get to use em, really.

But from what it looks like, the killer tries to kill me as usual, or knocks it out of my hands, so pretty much what the others say.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

Keys are the only thing capable of making me change my usual build to the Forever Freddy one.

You want the game to end earlier? Sorry, it won't.

• Lascivar
    Lascivar Member Posts: 41
    Options

Cause and effect. Someone bringing a key tells me they want to leave the game early. I'll choose the way they leave.

• akumaks13
    akumaks13 Member Posts: 42
    Options

Franklin? Are there people who still do not leave the key hidden by the map? LOL

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446
    Options

I'll just leave this right here. Keys aren't the end of the world. I just take it as a challenge.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/231375/nurse-is-sick-and-tired#latest

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012
    Options

I am just tunnelling who gets keys and killing him. Easy. When someone took key back, i am tunnelling this survivor too. If they wanna be toxic, i can be toxic too

• FreddysMain
    FreddysMain Member Posts: 289
    Options

I play with my partner and my friend, but when we get an AFK killer i never bring a key or find one :( my friend got lucky and got the trophy. it is one of those things hopefully will get it eventually.

• just_teme
    just_teme Member Posts: 195
    Options

How do long do you have to que???

just curious i see them so often i wonder if you get to even play.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I play the match out to the best of my abilities anyways.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

I did one yesterday with 2 keys. Took franklins but the main goal was to bubba facecamp them out of the game one by one.

It worked. Ironically a survivor who never brought a key got to escape.

You can cry about hard facecamping all you want but what’s the point in playing normally when they have 2 chances to all escape early? There’s no point. It was a meme game from the very beginning. They’re lucky I even accepted the game because a lot of killers would have just dodged

• CrustyCake
    CrustyCake Member Posts: 38
    Options

I try to keep track on who or where the key is.

I wont tunnel off hook, but if I come across the key holder, they are chosen for death. Example: come to a gen; 2 survivors running away; will chose key holder to chase, even if I get a free m1 on the non-key holder.

Once key is on the ground, use it as bait.

Honestly about 50% I am not pay attention to the survivors in the lobby. Usually Reddit mobile, thinking about how to use/change build, or spending BP(I stock pile them 200k + so when I spend them it makes more of a difference)

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

I have been robbed by keys on numerous occasions. 3 survivors should not be escaping with one gen left. Franklin’s also doesn’t help because a smart group will pick it up once they realize what’s up, and then stash it so you can’t knock it out again.

To the OP: I fully support dodging key lobbies. The game isn’t worth playing.

• Typedragonfly0
    Typedragonfly0 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Actually I get them about 1 in 4 games, takes me about a min to get a match, so it only adds like a min every so often, but it’s annoying