Would Passives work in DBD

oh_salutations
oh_salutations Member Posts: 212
edited March 2021 in Polls

Passives (Perks) are ability's that some games devs use to give a slight buff to a character and show off there personality's as well , some are too strong but some are weak but they all have one stimulatory they cant be activated by the player but are passive though out the game

(I'm focusing on survivors for now)

would DBD benefit from this or no I see the passives as being too weak to be a perk but could have synergy with some of their other perks or relate to their lore

Passives have no debuffs meaning if you wanted to play that character just because of how they looked you dont have to deal with passives that you don't even care about

3 examples

Jeff Johansson (Quiet Artist) When injured and standing still for 5 seconds muffles inured noises by 50% ( Jeff being a quite large and loud character turns people off from playing him especially in his lore describes him as quiet artist the worst ver. or iron will doesn't subtract the usefulness in a chase but gives him a small chance to not be so loud

Jake Park (Solitary Repair) v1 Jakes sabotages 5% faster v2 When you are alone repair 3% percent faster (Jake keeps to himself so I could imagine him wanting to do things on his own and being better at it)

Kate Denson (Beacon Of Hope) When you are close to people they gain a 1% boost to all actions does not stack with other Kates

Would Passives work in DBD 79 votes

Yes passives would work
16%
Zucker_Schock[Deleted User]TaigaFilthyQuentinPurgatoriansad_killer_mainPapa_myersalex9erGannTMThat_One_FriendJaydixSoulpawHigh5YourFace 13 votes
No they won't work
46%
GibberishBlueberryVolantConch1719Mat_SellaOrionDimek[Deleted User]SillierHorizon5WTBaconSneakyPigMainEmealWarcrafter4TatariuGreyBigfootMadLordJack[Deleted User]Yordsherrik666RepostRiposteTripleSteal 37 votes
Somewhere in-between
36%
YaNesteaAdeloomusstang62UistreelGeneralVGlamourousLeviathant6nutDawnMadbjorksnasCornHubmalatrusebm33LittleSageyHex_LlamaBooba_NIGHTMARE_ShenshenKarao_KeRK67FlameGNG 29 votes

Comments

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,476
    edited March 2021
    Somewhere in-between

Id much rather see a new category of perks of really weak / niche passives with a single new slot to use them instead of them being tied to characters

• herrik666
    herrik666 Member Posts: 191
    No they won't work

Having to worry about all the perk combinations adding the passives in top of it would be a nightmare. Also there would probably be a couple meta survivors and there are so many different survivors, it'd be a shame if you woulnd't be able to play your fav survivor because their passive sucks. In top of that, as a killer, having to take care about the current matches is already quite overwhelming, coulnd't even imagine if you added passives to it.

Don't take me wrong, it's a cool idea to have survivors be something else that skins, but way too many problems come with it.

• TumbleElf
    TumbleElf Member Posts: 48
    Somewhere in-between

I think passives for specific survivors would give more of a reason to switch to a new survivor would could mix things up :)

its a good idea imo

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593
    No they won't work

This won't go the way you are thinking.

If there is a Survivor with increased repair speeds, that is the only one you will ever see.

If there is no Survivor with increased repair speeds, everyone will pick the one with increased movement speed.

If there are no Survivor's with increased repair speed or movement speed, no one will care about passives and just pick the Survivor they like most (meaning nothing has changed).

• MildMegamind
    MildMegamind Member Posts: 4
    No they won't work

I think that passives would only work if they were released since the start of the game. Let me elaborate. Passive abilities for survivors would need so much balancing right now that there is literally absolutely no point in trying to add it right now for the devs. I think before they change the fundamentals of the game (like adding passives) they need to fix everything else. I think that it's an alright idea, just a waste of resources for the devs.

• bjorksnas
    Somewhere in-between

Counterpoint, no because if specific survivors had passives that others didn't it can be considered pay to win with paid survivors having abilities regular survivors don't

• FilthyQuentin
    FilthyQuentin Member Posts: 82
    Yes passives would work

Thats already a thing with licensed killers but whatever

• bjorksnas
    Somewhere in-between

Survivors are skins, killers are more complicated

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    No they won't work

I think the problem would be that there would be a few survivors that the majority use all the time and there would be many that wouldn't really be used again.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554
    No they won't work

Deathgarden tried that, and it just made you feel like crap because some runners had better passives (for you), on top of having the same actives as other runners. So while you thought X was cool or related to them, because Y has the powers and passives you prefer you suck it up and play Y, even though you want to be X so bad.

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030
    Somewhere in-between

They wouldn't work the way they hope. With your examples, a team with 4 Jakes on separating on gens would be extremely common, so it would just make some survivors better than others. "No debuff" thing also doesn't make sense, by actively not choosing Jake you are giving up on 3% repair speed.

But it could work in other ways, like if they had passives like Jake increases bloodpoints in boldness, Claudette on Alturism etc. Or maybe in other ways that don't have an as big gameplay impact.

• No they won't work

for survivors I think it will hurt the variety as they would also have to be balanced and i just dont think it would be worth it imo

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,169
    No they won't work

There's already so little variety for survivors when it comes to perks

People would figure out whichever 'passive' would be the best overall and then most people would just play that survivor.

pls no

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    No they won't work

With the game's already SWF dominated nature having another way for them to stack even more advantages is just too much.

Also its just kinda too late to fundamentally change the entire survivor role by adding these passives along with the legal nightmare of them having to get reapproval from EVER SINGLE LICENSE HOLDER to do it.

• FilthyQuentin
    FilthyQuentin Member Posts: 82
  • CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864
    Somewhere in-between

Asymmetrical balance is already its own monster, but IDV does it so anything is possible. Since there's way more perk combinations and IDV just has a set skill tree, I'd imagine either the passives would be extremely weak, or a ton of perks would be nerfed. So they'd work, but wouldn't really be noticable.

• Shenshen
    Shenshen Member Posts: 256
    Somewhere in-between

I think passivs in general could work but they need to be mildly because even low percentages can make a huge difference. They also shouldn't make some perks useless. I believe it would work but I can't think about something currently that wouldn't be too game breaking.

• oh_salutations
    oh_salutations Member Posts: 212

I imagined it to be weak like too weak to be a perk but it to also be something that stacks though out your games for example lets just say one character gets over Exhaustion 1 second quicker than normal in that game you would probably save 3-5 seconds being Exhausted but over 50 games or 100 it adds up what was 3-5 is now 300-500 seconds saved

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160
    Somewhere in-between

I think if giving a survivor a passive it should have a requirement, like for it to activate they need to have their 3 teachables equipped. Survivors would have to choose meta loadout or passive boost, can't have both.

• TumbleElf
    TumbleElf Member Posts: 48
    Somewhere in-between

What about pay to win killers? What If some killers had powers the other killer didn’t have?

the passives could be the equivalent of killer powers perhaps

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785
    Yes passives would work

Passive abilities would be neat

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818
    Somewhere in-between

I like the idea of giving survivors something special to differentiate them. What if it was as simple as the survivor getting a boost to one of their own perks, should they choose to have that perk equipped? The devs could decide which perk got the boost, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be one that made the survivor OP. It could transform some of the weaker perks into something actually useful, if you run it on the survivor it belongs to.

• bjorksnas
    Somewhere in-between

So you are saying if there is pay to win you want the devs to double down on it, no thanks

• SneakyPigMain
    SneakyPigMain Member Posts: 35
    No they won't work

Agreed, passives would make other characters forgotten while some just overused.

• t6nut
    t6nut Member Posts: 4
    Somewhere in-between

What if the original perks (teachables) would be buffed on the original characters instead? I mean that would make sense.. Like increase the % or have some extra ability that only the original character can use? Or maybe even a kombo, if you have all 3 then you get some ability or passive unlocked.

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    edited July 2021
    Somewhere in-between

I think is there were any passive it shouldn't come depending on the character but should be choosable as a gameplay passive :

• healer : your healing abilities are x% faster
    • sole survivor : gain X% action speed for each dead teammate
    • evader : after escaping a chase, your scratchmarks disappear for x sec

etc

So depending on your playstyle or your build you could choose a passive that fit. The passive would even be stronger if the game detect you equipped 2 or more perks tied to the passive (ex : you equip Botany K and Self-care + Healer passive = passive is no longer X% but X+5%)

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952
    No they won't work

No, I rather have active abilities for Survivors.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    Yes passives would work

If a hex, or boon totems, gets destroyed it turns into a passive perk, almost the same as the hex but to a much lesser extent. For example

- Devour hope only gets the first perk tier, speed boost when hooking, but not the other 2.

- lullaby only has 2 stacks

- noed has speed boost only, no instadown

Not going to list all hexes but you get my point.

• EvilTurnip690
    EvilTurnip690 Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2021
    Somewhere in-between

The idea is very cool but it would make playing killer less fun as you now have to manage what are essencialy 4 extra perks

you would have to give killers a very strong passive to counter it

• LittleSagey
    LittleSagey Member Posts: 78
    Somewhere in-between

i think if they were negligable like the ones you posted it could work, they cant make any of the passives too strong or else people would gravitate towards the 1 or 2 overpowered passives and youd just see clauds and lauries for example