The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How the ######### do you turn this ######### ass chat filter off?

Ecstasy
Ecstasy Member Posts: 426
edited March 2021 in General Discussions

I seriously hope this isn't forced on us in the literal murder simulator vidjagame we all play here.

I've got no problems as a toggle for people to utilize--hell I'm all for it--but I genuinely do not appreciate having such absurdity imposed upon me & any communication directed towards me being mangled for petty pretenses. I get that this won't be a big deal to most people (or deal at all)... but why eliminate options where they could (and should) otherwise exist? What does that even serve?

The filter won't even accomplish anything beyond limiting people like me. It's a perfect example of arbitrary order: an imposition of pseudo-standards in lieu of taking meaningful action. Well ######### that #########.

You're not combating toxicity a single iota. Communication is a process of intent & understanding via context. There's a ######### reason why people care about teabagging and clicky-clicky despite so easily (and naïvely) reducing the acts to "jus prest buttan!" It's encoding a message, transmitting across a medium, having it received, and (correctly) interpreted to express that belittlement and taunting. Same happens after blurring "######### you ball biting #########" in parts. Bingo bango. You don't change #########. Language is the means of style and expression. The process of communication itself conveys all the meaning. Not the ######### words.

Would the filter even stop you from telling someone "jus ######### kill urserf", or is it as impotent as I suspect--merely blanking out the obvious inference of "#########" for a message having literally the exact same meaning, intent, and consequences?

If they actually wanted to combat toxicity in this game, they need to take a proactive stance punishing people who use chat to demean & degrade. People need to publicly know the consequences exist, and see examples that prove that the report feature isn't the wild west frontier it it feels like where no one gives a damn unless you use a racial slur. (If even that?)

There are no short cuts. You don't cover up bits of the language that might be abusive when those bits are also casually evocative terms and colorful detail that serves for valuable self-expression. Or at least give me my option. This filter only robs perfectly eloquent adults like myself from a meaningful manifestation of my personality. All for an act of ######### security theater--and that alone is always insulting and objectionable as a logical human being who can recognize make-believe when I see it.

(So someone please tell me I made a big fuss needlessly and there's an off switch somewhere. I'd rather look like a reactive jackass and accept burn after burn than put up with it.)

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

It can't be disabled, no.

• Ecstasy

Typical BHVR solution. Six inches forward. Five inches back.

And now I'm left with an angry inch. A ######### angry inch.

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727

Lmao. Really? So as an example of the chat. You could say:

"I got killed by Freddy just as I got to the hatch XD"

Whereas my dirty mind would end up thinking of other things because what we would see is this?

"I got ****** by Freddy just as I got to the hatch XD"

Lol. Nice job on the censorship.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

To be fair, six inches forward, five inches back is still one inch forward, net. And what a precious little inch he is.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Uh.... hopefully they plan to revise what all is included...

I'd rather have it optional myself. Let people who are bothered by profanity leave it on, and the rest of us leave if off.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

I'm not one to be toxic/care about toxicity but its kinda funny how this only encourages people to say creatively hurtful stuff as opposed to just "eFf u fReBbY". Its probably way worse now that people have to concoct a real insult.

Also this wasn't implemented to prevent people from being mean, its for ratings and so they don't get banned in certain countries. 99% of the reason for the system is so people can't spam the n-word and they just decided to toss in some extras to play it safe.

• Ecstasy

What's crazy is there's just literally no reason it shouldn't/couldn't be optional. Not a single one. I've been trying to play devil's advocate against myself and I got nothing.

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462
    edited March 2021

I've been playing this game since 2019. With 2011 hours on the record. During all this time I have not found anything useful in the game chat. There was no single case when survivors wanted to give me any good advice or say something useful. Instead most of the time someone complained about how could I kill them or advice me to kill myself. That was the times at the beginning of my killer career. At the beginning it wasn't pleasant at all. So I believe it would be much better for the game to remove post game chat at all.

Of course, now after some time, I've grown a thicker skin. I have opened my steam profile for public comments and really enjoying reading new ones. Now I think those comments are supper funny and I am collecting them. But for the benefit of the newer players, I would rather just remove the post game chat.

• Hyraga91
    Hyraga91 Member Posts: 16

It's funny that a team made up of many people, all of them with enough intelligence to develop a video game, cannot implement something as simple as a language filter well.

It seems that they never played an MMO in their youth, it seems that the first time they touched a computer was to program DbD.

So difficult was it to place an option that is optional for filtering the chat?

So difficult was it to place an option that mutes the chat in general for those who do not want to deal with toxic people at the end of the game?

So difficult is it to program an algorithm that penalizes the player who abuses the "Ctrl" key to make T-bag or who abuses the M2 for the "clicky clicky" of the flashlight?

Sometimes I think that I chose my career badly, I never had to have gotten into mechanized engineering, but I had to have studied video game programming, probably the projects in which I was in charge would be the most balanced and pleasant for people.

Hell, this game came out in 2016 and just now, 5 years later, they put the color blind option for people who suffer from this problem like me.

For a company that is in charge of only 3 videogames, whose main one is DbD, it is painful, really.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229

It's not a bad idea tbh it's just too strict.

Actually I would like there to be a filter for extreme words like the N word and things of that nature; they should be censored because there is no context in which that's fine.

However I said tbag earlier and it censored that *eyeroll*

• mouse0270
    mouse0270 Member Posts: 849

I got filtered for using

picked me up

Censorship is fun https://youtu.be/urUdeCSfMg4

• Chatkovski
    Chatkovski Member Posts: 309

I do not understand this rage. Let's be honest, 99% of the time this chat is useless, or to hear or say nasty things, and/or in a foreign language, or to send a "GG (EZ) WP", nothing very interesting.

Personally, rather than adding any filter, I would have just removed it entirely.

• Ecstasy

That's really unfortunate. I'll admit I do feel somewhat more relaxed in cross-play matches where I know no one can ######### at me for being a bad survivor or bad killer after the match (well occasionally people playing from microsoft whatever mode who show up as 3rd party but can still chat anyhow), though I don't know if I'd want chat gone entirely. (But cross-play I 100% assume exit gate teabagging 'cause of that though)

I also consider chat to be largely negative, and belief its the tipping factor for real abusiveness in this game, where already frustrating matches transform into genuinely taxing & infuriating encounters with downright vile, cruel people over such a trivial thing. However, in my experience, its the intensity of those moments (combined with even more but briefer negativity of "######### you camper!" or "ggez lol!" comments left at that) souring the chat & game itself overall with that feeling of excessive toxicity to the point you want to uninstall.

Thinking back to my most recent chats, the actual majority of my experiences are more neutral (customary ggs) or even downright positive with comments & compliments exchanged after the game. I've ended up with a people on my friends that were the killer when I was survivor, and survivors where I was the killer. I've even received & given apologies for things that might have seemed ######### at the time. (ie "sorry for early tunnel there. obsession challenge" or "got pig mori daily :-/"). Not that those things inherently require apologies, just that I've encountered many situations where something that wasn't so fun in the game at the time had some weight pulled off it by connecting in chat with the other-side to realize they're playing the game for a game too & its all chill for them too. I mean, ideally that sort of understanding would be the great majority instead of that exception it feels good to encounter, but its certainly a good feeling where it does occur.

I set my steam profile to friends only specifically because of this game though too, and that's pretty much a reminder that its not just the chat that's toxic and its how it extends outside the game that really sucks too. Really, I just wish BHVR would get serious about fighting toxicity for real by keeping chat-logs, checking reports, and punishing players that cross the line (more than just black/white bigotry words, actually using reasonable discretion to target the people who make this game feel miserable) with things like blocking them from chat, in game suspensions, even banning if necessary. I hate their duct tape solutions and this absolutely one of them.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2021

Well people in the community asked for it, now we gotta deal with it. Welcome to the future :).

• Ecstasy

a few Anecdotes

Since the virtue of chat keeps coming up, I figure I'd detail some of my own experiences even if I'm kinda hitting a side point to a side point here. [My deal here is more I don't even want to have what other people say to me censored. I want the right to hear what they've got to say as they've really got to say it. I still think they should be punished for crossing the lines--because thats how this community gets better--but covering up that toxicity with stickers doesn't cancel it or the impact out.]

I know my anecdotal experience that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme, but I feel like details some specific encounters might illuminate the sort of environment that can/does also exist out there too.

In a pretty recent match where I got stomped to hell by rank 1 survivors that I finally just popped the gates after I missed hit after hit and--despite going into end-game with all four injured--all ended up healed while I felt swarmed by loops in a maze. Still had to wait the full timer as two just stuck around. The PC players each respectfully offered GGS and one went out of the way to explain they would've normally left immediately too but were waiting on the console player for that "let x escape first" challenge. Waiting wasn't even a frustration to me at that point, it was still nice knowing that conscious thought was there and it wasn't an overkill/taunting thing just to rub salt in a wound from them.

Hell, awhile back I straight up DC'd as a killer mid-match after a legitimately terrible day (in the matches, but more-so outside the game). I jumped in chat right away to just declare "######### it, I concede, ######### match, shittier day" basically. But instead of the flames & harassment I'd anticipated, the others left silently while one talked with me empathetically just saying they get it and its like that sometimes where you get a bad streak going and its better to just step away for awhile. I'd quit that game knowing I was done for the day already, but I walked away feeling better than I would've because of that interaciton.

For a survivor side example, just a few days ago I got teamed up with this obnoxious 3-man group from console who spent the match bullying the killer in coordination. I was the only one who ended up getting 3rd hooked before the gates popped (actually, that was me being sandbagged too). Still, I related my sympathies to the killer (I brought up their behavior, killer was classy pure GG's only there) and we talked for a bit. He could even tell I wasn't with them, and said he'd only killed me at the end to keep from depping that match. It hadn't bothered me anyhow, but still it was a positive line of communication between survivor and killer who both had mediocre matches. Those sorts of exchanges are actually super common for me, but not a lot to remark on there since it's usually just "ah its cool killer, I get it" or friendly advice and stories run the same course.

Sometimes even the negative interactions can end up positives though. In another killer match I was just a total jerkass. No excuses. It was a lame move on my part tunneling this guy right out of the game (and they ended up deranking) for no reason except I was grumpy at someone else. I'd kept hooking/camping them hoping the obsession (perpetually urban evasion'ing around the swamp) would do the rescue. But nope, so I just iced the guy in frustration. Understandably a bad match for him, and he had some pretty colorful insults afterward. Here's the thing though: he wasn't wrong. While I tried to explain, apologized, and agreed it was BS, it's also just part of the game; so I wasn't particularly torn up about it beyond recognizing it was a dick move on my part. But I could tell it wasn't about the match. When chat cut off, he even friended me on steam to keep reiterating his frustration--and I accepted, because something told me this guy really needed to vent and the insults weren't an issue to me. He kept trying to get a rise out of me--even escalating to some pretty racist stuff--but that only made his fronting all the more obvious. So, I kept listening and calmly chatting from a place of understanding until the conversation cooled. Guy really just needed an outlet for depression & life's frustrations, and I was there, so I did what I could.

Lastly, I'm thinking of a circumstance that really covers both ends of the chat spectrum. The match got me "entity displeased!" since all 4 escaped, but I still had a blast & actually thought everyone else had too. Yet into chat and here comes two of the most stereotypical salty cereal rank 1's ever just going on & on about tunneling them and ggez crap. It totally caught me off-guard. Never once did I even consider "arrg gotta get this guy!!", I just chased whoever I found until hooked or lost. (Hell, they were SWF buddies with the same damn outfit, so I didn't even know which I was chasing most of the time). If anything, I would've thought this other player to shout "tunnelz!!" since I spent far more time chasing them around than either of the others. (And never even saw the 4th player until end game after that very 1st generator). Yet, those other two players were actively defending me against the SWF tossing out every insult in the book because... hell, I don't really know. It was some pretty nasty stuff though. Still--having those other two players backing me up though to reiterate I hadn't done anything wrong & clarifying that it really was the sort of match for them that I'd thought it was did pull a lot of the sting away from that experience.

Really the most upsetting thing is how this otherwise really enjoyable match gets retroactively spoiled with "nah ######### you #########" revealing a current of spite actually flowed the whole instead. Even those rare fun times in this game can get flipped on their heads by the toxic personalities that BHVR lets run rampant across chat. (And a word filter isn't even a placebo for that, just security theater that feels incredibly asinine and restricts my own expression/identity). Those other players did stand up for me though, and independently said they'd both given me props and reported the SWF players (but I'm sure BHVR didn't do a damn thing about it, otherwise the red rank wouldn't also contain the highest number of toxic and mean-spirited players). The ultimate impression was still one of those "I should quit this terrible game" toxicity moments due to the intensity, yet there's a clear silver lining that I can't ignore either. I do like knowing those people exist out there in this game too and it's not all as bad as it usually feels.