The DS nerf shows how many survivors relied on it too much

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781
edited April 2021 in General Discussions

*Controversial thread warning, comment at your own risk.

This post is not meant to shame anyone btw, not calling anyone out specifically.

So far, I have seen people say things like "DS is useless now and doesn't work against tunneling" which is just plain wrong. Others have said things like "DS is worthless now thx BHVR!" which is also not true.

Let me just remind everyone what tunneling in DBD is. Tunneling is when a killer continues to go after the same survivor rather than switching off to someone else. It seems people are making up very situational moments where they are technically being tunneled but they don't have DS which shouldn't really matter. For example, "What happens if I decide to heal someone but then the killer tricked me into doing that and then tunneled me around a corner?"...

It is definitely still useful, especially in the endgame.

The DS nerf was very justified, the perk was too strong for its own good, and it got value from not even being there as long as there was an obsession.

Post edited by Yords on

Comments

• xcross
    xcross Member Posts: 10

It was essentially old ruin for them. Old ruin showed a lot players had heavily relied on the perk, but ultimately it was still removed. Of course it resurged with undying but the fact still remains that old ruin was light years stronger then the current one. I suspect that the ds change will remain and we will likely see statistical changes such as kill rates.

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417

Agreed. It's really not useless. Last time ds got changed they said the same thing. Trust me you'll still see it in every game about a week from now when everyone chills out and realizes it's not the end of the perk.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

Funny thing is, I never needed it before. The fear of it was enough to not need it. Since the update its become mandatory. Even then its not stopping tunnellers. Just slowing them down a little.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited April 2021

Honestly I feel given that now it ONLY works if you are being legit tunneled they should get rid of the skill check or something at least.

Also killers need to stop taking these changes as an excuse to hard tunnel people because if you keep doing that, you're going to create a really loud uproar and cause some other change to come along that you might not be so happy with; so please behave lol.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Now I know tunnelling is defined as being chased at any point in time after being unhooked. Once all survivors have been hooked once, you are tunnelling for the rest of the game apparently.

• MrGrizzly
    MrGrizzly Member Posts: 143

So just use DS again? It's literally an anti tunnel perk. If there are tunnel problems again, people will bring DS again.

It's a balance that'll come overtime, it's too early to "be balanced" yet.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited April 2021

I think you missed the message there, it has nothing to do with you having the perk or not; or the old DS or the current one.

As for balance I never said anything about that, just that maybe the skill check isn't much needed, which honestly hardly affects balance and is just a thought anyways.

You are jumping the gun a bit.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

I stopped running DS a long time ago because I Feng that it was diverging up for my lack of skill.

I still don't feel the need to run DS. In its current state DS is much healthier for the game and more riskier

• Somna
    Somna Member Posts: 130

I've been loving the DS changes while on survivor. I'm finally not getting cheated out of blood points/emblem for safe hook from an abuser going down early because they're still "safe" with DS and want the free minute, and I haven't seen red rank killer swarming anymore at all. I also don't have the character with it in the first place at the moment, nor spent on it in the shrine, so it's never affected my own personal playstyle directly.

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576

Its like the time ruin got changed. When this happened a lot of survivor mains were making posts saying Killers are noobs that relied on that perk.

Oh how the tables have turned.

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364

never used it. never will. shouldnt even be in the game.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

I’ve had to equip it due to the lack of obsessions. Matches since the update have been dry and boring with killers almost all the time trying to tunnel someone out. That combined with the pallet stun bug has made the game very very very boring since I can’t even work on achievements I want without getting hit through pallet stuns and the killer not getting stunned at all.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

It also shows how some killers rely on tunneling cus the second the nerf drops they change their playstyle.

DS is a poor attempt at trying to solve a big issue with the game, survivors shouldnt be forced to run a perk to fix something that shouldnt be there in the first place.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

More like abuse it, now it's limited to it true purpose.

• MrGrizzly
    MrGrizzly Member Posts: 143

You mentioned "changes" so I'm assuming DS, literally nothing happened to the tunnelling conversations EXCEPT DS.

You are also assuming that killers tunnel even more after these "changes" (So DS got changed, everything has to do with DS if it's changes about tunneling now), that it creates this "big" problem that could create an "uproar" which all could be fixed with DS if it's that big of an issue for you, so this whole "tunnel" - "no tunnel" balance will be fixed eventually.

I never mentioned the skill check thing, but imo it can stay, it's not that hard to hit.

• I dont get the double standards with tunneling. Everyone on here acts like its low skill. Know who tunnels a hell of a lot? Otzdarva. You wont see it in his YT videos but watch his 50 wins streaks on Twitch and he tunnels like mad with no shame. Dowsey another one that gets touted as a great killer here who tunnels at 5 gens.

This isnt aimed at you specifically but why is it we hear that people that tunnel are no good but at the same time players idolise content creators who do hard tunneling at 5 gens?

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

I myself never said anything about skill, i am aware that bad and good killers tunnel.

My point is that tunneling is very unhealthy for the game, whether inexperienced or very experienced.

If the killer has no other option at endgame though i can understand a hard tunnel.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,502