The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Your opinion on dribbling.

If you don't know dribbling is a direct counter towards DS that has a killer picking up and rapidly putting back down a DS user stopping the skill check from being able to be used. Only works when near a hook. What are your opinions on this counter because until it's nerf I have and always will dribble.

Comments

• Whispers23
    Whispers23 Member Posts: 111

I hate it when I play killer but I am forced to do it. Unless I am using endurance 3.

• BeanieEnthusiast
    BeanieEnthusiast Member Posts: 213
    It’s not an exploit 😂

I don’t dribble because that just means I’ll have to deal with the DS later. I’d rather just get it over with. 
  • SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089

thing with dribbling is: you can't do it all that far.

The other thing with dribbling: It eats up a lot of time

I will dribble if it was a bad chase, and the hook is only a few steps away. Other then that, I'll slug them, and look for alruism, or gens.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    In the pursuit of becoming a master nba killer i will dribble the distance out of a smug satisfaction that your ds will not be used. 
  • Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    Justicar said:

I consider it exploitative and refuse to do it.

Man up and just get the DS out of the way.

Your wrong and hell no. No free escape for you but if your lucky I might just tunnel your ass out of the game lucky you ds player. 
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@thekiller490490 said:
    If you don't know dribbling is a direct counter towards DS that has a killer picking up and rapidly putting back down a DS user stopping the skill check from being able to be used. Only works when near a hook. What are your opinions on this counter because until it's nerf I have and always will dribble.

Keep going, doesnt look like they will nerf DS

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

It's highly unreliable and costs a lot of time as well. Also, by the standards of some of the people commenting that it's an exploit, by those standards looping is an exploit as well because you're abusing the fact killers have larger hit boxes to negate their speed gains when looping pallets. I wouldn't call either of them exploiting and at least looping is consistently reliable unlike the other.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559

It is not an exploit, a tactic or strat, I dont use it due to how it is situational

• thekiller490490
    thekiller490490 Member Posts: 1,164
    Master said:

@thekiller490490 said:

Keep going, doesnt look like they will nerf DS

It will come... You just need to BELIEVE 
  • thekiller490490
    thekiller490490 Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November 2018
    Justicar said:

I consider it exploitative and refuse to do it.

Man up and just get the DS out of the way.

I see DS as exploitive so I will use an "exploitive" tactic to beat it. I only dribble if I know I will make it to a hook, if not I slug or just get slapped.
  • The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    It wastes time. Shouldn't have to do it.

I've only used DS as a survivor on odd occassions - basically where I hve a string of games vs camping/tunneling killers. You know what? Dribbling is actually really annoying :lol:

Still I don't feel it's exploitive. DS can waste so much time and momentum that you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245

I was dribbled as a survivor for the first time recently. It made me feel just as ######### as decisive strike did the first time I experienced it as the killer.

Do I support it? I won't pick up the obsession if a hook is too far away. I'll leave to let them crawl around a while, and hopefully when I come back they've moved closer to a hook so the dribbling can commence.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited November 2018

Devs say it's not an exploit, so it's not an exploit. I didn't do it back when it wasted DS because it was an exploit, but I may do it now in the 1% of cases where I'm close enough to the hook that it'll be worth it.

Post edited by Orion on
  • AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331

I dribble if it's the last survivor because I'm not risking a DS sprint race to the hatch or exit. Or if I'm like 4 meters from a hook.

• CubeyBlueDice
    CubeyBlueDice Member Posts: 61

I'm okay with dribbling because it would take longer for the killer to hook. This creates a opening for anyone with a flashlight to blind the killer and drop the survivor. It has its ups and downs.

PS I never use DS except a few times when I got the DLC a few years ago but I found it not to my liking.

• Mango_Fett
    Mango_Fett Member Posts: 12

I don't like doing it as killer but sometimes I just have to because I need the hook and can't have four players running around free to do gens.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

its sad that the only counterplay to an perk is an exploid, but as long as there is nothing being done against DS, its fine to stay.

• Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129

A killer should walk right into a DS when it's avoidable? Really?

I love hearing about how killers shouldn't avoid damage/stuns, while there's no one saying survivors, when seeing a trap, should walk straight into it instead of around it or disarming it.

How dare survivors crouch past Hag traps! How dare they run away when I want to hit them? How dare they throw down pallets to avoid a hit! Whaaa! In fact, why should survivors be able to disarm my traps when I can't disarm their decisive strike?!

Okay, here's some basic logic:

1) Survivors do everything they can to counter killer abilities and perks. From bringing Med Kits to improve healing time, to exhaustion perks, to addon's to increase skill-check success zones, to getting notifications when there's a totem or trap around, to running pallet and window loops. That's their job: to survive.

2) Killers do everything they can to counter survivor abilities and perks. This includes Ruin, Unnerving Presence, Sloppy Butcher, A Nurse's Calling, setting traps to end chases, and dribbling a DS user. That's the killer's job: to kill as efficiently as possible.

The alternative to countering a DS without dribbling is to slug everyone. And, if I start running into a majority of games where there are 2-3 DS users in most matches, watching survivors bleed out is exactly what I'm going to do. Then you'll be back on the forums complaining that it's "toxic" to run a slug build, and should be removed from the game. Womp womp.

To the guy who says "just take the hit and get DS out of the way," okay, that's an option sometimes. If the DS user is one of the first I find early in the match, I'll take the hit and get it out of the way before putting him on the hook. If I down him next to an open gate or hatch, I'm going to dribble him, if possible. And then I'll eat up all that yummy, yummy salt in the post-game chat.

Survivors who run DS are as stupid as killers who face camp throughout a match. DS might give you the chance to prolong a chase that you lost, but only once. Likewise, face-campers might ensure a single kill by standing on the hook, but both are able to be countered, and even if they aren't, the player employing those tactics gives up a lot for that maybe/maybe not proposition. With face-campers, they give up the possibility of additional kills, while with DS players, they give up an exhaustion perk, or healing perk, or repair speed perk, or stealth perk, or bloodpoint perk... With only 4 perk slots, you can't bring everything to every match, and giving up something that is of utility throughout the entire match for the chance that you might not be dribbled or slugged is stupid. Particularly so when, most of the time, the killer knows you have the perk from the start of the match (the exception being when a killer runs an obsession perk of their own, then they don't know for certain).

If they bring DS, they deserve whatever counter to it the killer chooses to employ. Simple as that. Don't like it? Don't bring DS. Don't like survivors using borrowed time/hook rushing, don't face-camp.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Im not good at it. Insted I save the obsesion for last and just kill it with Rancor or a yellow Mori. If I dont have one of those with me, then I just leave it on the floor to bleedout, die and root. Better than let it escape.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Its situational and easily hard countered by flashlight or a bodyblock. Its fine.
  • Global
    Global Member Posts: 770

Use a bullshit perk i use a bullshit exploit to counter it. Simple.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Idgaf because i dont run DS and I play Nurse so I literally kill them 1 one blink GG ez ^^

• Wahara
    Wahara Member Posts: 237

I don't think it's an exploit, but I really don't like this "Because the devs said so" card people play.

Like, it is possible for the developers to be completely full of ######### in regards to their own game, just saying.

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874

Isn't it the survivor fault in the first place to get caught in dribbling distance of a hook?
    And that without regarding the fact that just having a single survivor bodyblock a dribbling killer to assure he won't get the hook.

• Spartagone45
    Spartagone45 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2018

I do it when I know they saved it for the end of the game, but I usually use Enduring. So I don't do it most of the time.

• Keene_Kills
    Keene_Kills Member Posts: 649

@Wahara said:
    I don't think it's an exploit, but I really don't like this "Because the devs said so" card people play.

Like, it is possible for the developers to be completely full of ######### in regards to their own game, just saying.

I agree 100%. And that's the very same line that runs through my head whenever somebody posts that SWF should never be touched, as it was "always intended by the devs." We've seen they are fully capable of wrecking their own game from all angles.

That being said, I find DS "dribbling" too taxing to be worth it. Depends on the current state of the particular match and what I feel it necessitates when I down said DS'er... slug, take the DS, etc. This is exactly why I don't feel slugging should've been monkeyed with until after they figured out proper changes to DS.

• Orion

@Wahara said:

The devs are the ones who set the rules of the game, and thus decide what is and isn't an exploit. Saying that your opinion is better or even equal to the devs' is like going up to an author and "explaining" that they're wrong about what they say they wrote.

• Wahara

An exploit is when you take advantage of a game design flaw or something that wasn't intended by the developers to be included in the game to get a leg up. The developers can offer their opinion on whether something is an exploit or not, but they're not automatically right or wrong because they're the developers. Your analogy would fit if we were talking about the lore or something, like say, if I were arguing that Huntress isn't actually old, or that the spirit isn't vengeful. In that context an appeal to authority is acceptable, not here.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073
    Depends on the situation for me. If I spot a hook fairly close but the survivor could potentially get a d-strike off I'll dribble once, maybe twice. Otherwise though I just try and position myself for the survivor to fall a decent distance and recover from the landing after using d-strike. My favorite point being at the top of the double stairs in the main building of the Grim Pantry.
  • iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

It's not a counter to DS and I wish people would quit saying dribbling is a counter because it justifies not giving DS a legit counter. It's situational, sometimes works and almost waste as much time as just eating the DS. Remember, you still have to hook DS boi two more times, it's not going away just because you dribble.

Second, I'll dribble if I am close to a hook and need the BBQ stack. If they are within dribbling distance but still kind of far, I'll leave them slugged or eat the DS if I have enduring. At that point, you're wasting just as much time dribbling as you would just taking the DS (them potentially missing) and hooking them.

DS is a garbage perk and I wish it would be addressed already :/

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Completely fair, killer requires a close hook for it to even work. Ds user can simply avoid hooks to prevent the dribble.
  • Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

Survivor using an exploit (looping) = is fine
    Killer using an exploit (dribbling) = burn that heretic!
    Both actions are exploit by definition, but sanctioned by the Devs.

• Orion

@Wahara said:
    An exploit is when you take advantage of a game design flaw or something that wasn't intended by the developers to be included in the game to get a leg up. The developers can offer their opinion on whether something is an exploit or not, but they're not automatically right or wrong because they're the developers. Your analogy would fit if we were talking about the lore or something, like say, if I were arguing that Huntress isn't actually old, or that the spirit isn't vengeful. In that context an appeal to authority is acceptable, not here.

So you admit an exploit is taking advantage of a game design flaw or something that wasn't intended by the developers. The developers say it's intended (and thus isn't a flaw). How does this contradict what I said?

• Wahara

I swear to God, I don't know why you quote me when you don't read what I say. I already said I don't think dribbling is an exploit. I'm just saying the argument you're using is bad, because video game developers can say lots of stupid things to save face. If you could glitch through walls and they said that was intended all a long, would you believe them?

• Orion
    edited November 2018

@Wahara said:
    I swear to God, I don't know why you quote me when you don't read what I say. I already said I don't think dribbling is an exploit. I'm just saying the argument you're using is bad, because video game developers can say lots of stupid things to save face. If you could glitch through walls and they said that was intended all a long, would you believe them?

I don't know why you post responses to me when you don't read what you're writing. Let's go through this point by point. My argument:

• Exploiting is taking advantage of something that wasn't intended to be in the game.
    • Developers make the game.
    • By virtue of making the game, developers determine what is and isn't intended to be in the game.
    • Ergo, developers have the first, final, and only say in what is and isn't an exploit.

Now here's your argument:

• Exploiting is taking advantage of something that wasn't intended to be in the game.
    • Developers make the game.
    • By virtue of making the game, developers determine what is and isn't intended to be in the game.
    • Ergo, the developers can't say what is and isn't an exploit, and their "opinions" about what they intended to be in the game are equivalent to any random player's.

Can you see the non-sequitur? Because I sure can.

EDIT: I'm ignoring your claim that the developers are lying because that's just you grasping at straws to justify your own arrogant belief that you have any say in what constitutes an exploit.

• Wahara

I didn't say the developers were lying. You cannot even talk to me without muddying what I'm saying. What I am saying is the argument that "the devs said so" is bad because there can be evidence that something wasn't intended even if they say it was. Whether or not something is or isn't an exploit shouldn't be evaluated on the sole basis that the developers say it was an intended feature but the credible likelihood that it was.

• Orion

@Wahara said:
    I didn't say the developers were lying. You cannot even talk to me without muddying what I'm saying. What I am saying is the argument that "the devs said so" is bad because there can be evidence that something wasn't intended even if they say it was. Whether or not something is or isn't an exploit shouldn't be evaluated on the sole basis that the developers say it was an intended feature but the credible likelihood that it was.

Truth doesn't become fiction just because people find it unbelievable. You didn't directly say they were lying, but you did say that your opinion of the credibility of their word is objective evidence that their word is true or false.

• Wahara

"Whether or not something is or isn't an exploit shouldn't be evaluated on the sole basis that the developers say it was an intended feature but the credible likelihood that it was."

Like, this is so God damned ridiculously reasonable, why are you responding with "Truth doesn't become fiction just because people find it unbelievable." hyperbole????

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited November 2018

@Orion @Wahara Have either of you ever heard of Authorial Intent vs. Death of the Author? It's a literary thing but can be applied to any kind of work from books to paintings to video games. Basically, the way it works is this:

If you believe in Authorial Intent, as Orion does, you believe that the author (in this case, the developer/s) has supreme authority over how their work is interpreted by virtue of being its creator. (A literary example might be if there was a character of indescriminate race whose descriptions may have suggested but didn't explicitly mention that they were black. The author insists that the character is white because that's what they intended, therefore the character is white, end of discussion.) Here, Orion is arguing that because the devs designed the game mechanics, they get to determine what is and isn't an exploit based on their own feelings and intentions, and whether or not something appears to be an exploit is irrelevant if the devs say it isn't so.

If you believe in Death of the Author, on the other hand, which is what Wahara seems to be arguing in favour of, you believe that the author more or less relinquishes creative control the moment they release their work to public scrutiny. It now belongs as much to their fans as it does to them, if not more so. Therefore, the author can still have opinions and they can still say what their intentions were, but the fans are free to draw conclusions about the work based on what's actually there. (To expand on the example above, some fans in that scenario might have read the character as black because the author's descriptions, intentional or not, seemed to suggest that that was the case. These fans can therefore reasonably argue that the character could actually have been black, regardless of what the author says, because that's a conclusion that can be drawn from the work itself.) Wahara is arguing that the developers may have their own ideas about what is and isn't an exploit, but the word of the devs is not infallible gospel, and the players can still draw their own conclusions based on their observations of game mechanics, and those conclusions are equally valid.

Apologies and please correct me if I've represented either of your viewpoints inaccurately. I'm just trying to point out that your discussion isn't going anywhere and won't any time soon because you're both working from fundamentally different bases and at the same time thinking the other person is unreasonable because you assume that they must reasonably believe the same as you do with regards to the above. As long as you're both just stating what you believe, you're never going to convince each other of anything, but hopefully this will help to clear up where the discrepencies are.

• Wahara
    edited November 2018

I mean, that wasn't really my reasoning, but I still appreciate it. It's a romantic perspective.

What I put forward was more simple and less eloquent than that. I am saying that whether or not something is is an intended feature of the game, can within a certain degree, be measured. You can typically see evidence whether something was intended or not, and if something is an exploit, you can usually see evidence of that too. Like the example I gave earlier, about phasing through walls. We can reasonably say that's an exploit if it helps the character because no sane video game developer would make walls that you could just phase through (Unless that was the point, you're playing a ghost or something, I don't know)

That's why I judge dribbling not to be an exploit, not because the devs say it isn't, but because it's not completely ludicrous or inconceivable that could have been their intent. It's pretty plausible.

• Orion

@Fibijean said:
    @Orion @Wahara Have either of you ever heard of Authorial Intent vs. Death of the Author? It's a literary thing but can be applied to any kind of work from books to paintings to video games. Basically, the way it works is this:

If you believe in Authorial Intent, as Orion does, you believe that the author (in this case, the developer/s) has supreme authority over how their work is interpreted by virtue of being its creator. (A literary example might be if there was a character of indescriminate race whose descriptions may have suggested but didn't explicitly mention that they were black. The author insists that the character is white because that's what they intended, therefore the character is white, end of discussion.) Here, Orion is arguing that because the devs designed the game mechanics, they get to determine what is and isn't an exploit based on their own feelings and intentions, and whether or not something appears to be an exploit is irrelevant if the devs say it isn't so.

If you believe in Death of the Author, on the other hand, which is what Wahara seems to be arguing in favour of, you believe that the author more or less relinquishes creative control the moment they release their work to public scrutiny. It now belongs as much to their fans as it does to them, if not more so. Therefore, the author can still have opinions and they can still say what their intentions were, but the fans are free to draw conclusions about the work based on what's actually there. (To expand on the example above, some fans in that scenario might have read the character as black because the author's descriptions, intentional or not, seemed to suggest that that was the case. These fans can therefore reasonably argue that the character could actually have been black, regardless of what the author says, because that's a conclusion that can be drawn from the work itself.) Wahara is arguing that the developers may have their own ideas about what is and isn't an exploit, but the word of the devs is not infallible gospel, and the players can still draw their own conclusions based on their observations of game mechanics, and those conclusions are equally valid.

Apologies and please correct me if I've represented either of your viewpoints inaccurately. I'm just trying to point out that your discussion isn't going anywhere and won't any time soon because you're both working from fundamentally different bases and at the same time thinking the other person is unreasonable because you assume that they must reasonably believe the same as you do with regards to the above. As long as you're both just stating what you believe, you're never going to convince each other of anything, but hopefully this will help to clear up where the discrepencies are.

Yes, I have, and "Death of the Author" is an absurd concept. The person who designed/wrote it knows what they intend and what they don't. They know what is true and what isn't. To argue that your opinion of an author's work trumps the author's own would be like arguing with reality that gravity should work backwards. It's not your work; it's not your decision.

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

Devs: looping was not intended, camping was intended.

Surv player: looping is needed to survive, camping is cancer!

"Authorial intend" -> Devs are right

"Death of the author" -> survivor are right

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited November 2018

@Wahara In other words, the fact that the devs say something is so is less important than one's interpretation based on the evidence present in the work itself. I would encourage @Orion to consider the possibility that whether or not the author intended to do or say something, what matters is what emerges in their work because that's what they actually did or said. If someone wrote a book where they said "the cat was black" and then afterwards they told everyone "actually, I intended for the cat to be brown all along", well... that's what the author said, sure, but fans could be forgiven for holding the author's actions, that is, what they actually wrote about the cat, in higher regard than whatever they claimed after the fact.

But as I said, as long as the bases are so firmly divided, there's not much point in taking the discussion much further other than just agreeing to disagree.

• friendlykillermain
    friendlykillermain Member Posts: 3,162

dribbling is fine and most of the time it might not even work

• Orion

@Fibijean said:
    @Wahara In other words, the fact that the devs say something is so is less important than one's interpretation based on the evidence present in the work itself. I would encourage @Orion to consider the possibility that whether or not the author intended to do or say something, what matters is what emerges in their work because that's what they actually did or said. If someone wrote a book where they said "the cat was black" and then afterwards they told everyone "actually, I intended for the cat to be brown all along", well... that's what the author said, sure, but fans could be forgiven for holding the author's actions, that is, what they actually wrote about the cat, in higher regard than whatever they claimed after the fact.

Except we're not talking about a writer not expressing himself properly (god knows I've made plenty of mistakes there); we're talking about whether something that can be done in a game was intended or not; i.e.: whether or not it's an exploit. There is no "they just didn't explain it properly"; there's just intended mechanics and bugs.