Does BBQ and Chili need a nerf?

NVerde
NVerde Member Posts: 264

It's on literally every killer lately. Seems to be a little unfair as it makes sense to be working on a generator a distance away when someone is downed and hooked but then they go right for you - any advice for a fairly newbie survivor to counter this?

Comments

• ARatherStrangeKiller
    ARatherStrangeKiller Member Posts: 101

Lockers hide your aura, so if you suspect the killer has BBQ, try hopping into the nearest one, just make sure you're actually in it before the person is hooked though because it takes a second for the aura immunity to kick in. Alternatively, if you think the killer is going to beeline toward you out in the open, try running in one direction then double back once BBQ ends.

• DawnMad
    DawnMad Member Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2021

I use it on all of my killers, not because it is the best information perk but because it gives me double bloodpoints for no effort. If it didn't have the bloodpoint bonus I would instantly swap it for Discordance or Thrilling, those two are much more reliable information perks than BBQ.

• Baby_Victor
    Baby_Victor Member Posts: 486

Yeah. You can kind of hide aura behind generator if you know which direction the killer is.

you can hide in locker

you can hide aura with a perk

you can move in one direction during a few seconds you know killer can see you, and then move the opposite...

also, people feel that a killer that can see a survivor is more willing to leave the hook, promoting a more healthy game since they are not camping hook

lastly, killers mostly want that sweet extra BP. Put that BP bonus part on any perk, even Hangman’s Trick and ‘that’ would be the perk you see every killer running too.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571
    edited April 2021

You can bring Distortion, sit on the opposite side of a gen, or hop in a locker when they pick someone up and count to 4 (5 for safety) after they hook to exit.

However I would advise against trying to hide from it if you're not on your last hook because if the killer doesn't see anyone on BBQ they may not leave the hook (the lack of auras could imply the survivors are near the hook). It only activates beyond 40 meters from the hook so they're giving your team a pretty good chance to save if they go towards your aura.

Running Kindred and faking running one direction, count to 4, and then walk another direction if you see them walking towards you is also a pretty good strategy if you want to hide but still want the killer to leave the hook.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Would you rather have the killer camp? Because BBQ benefits survivors as much as it benefits killers. Since the killer goes for a fresh target instead of sticking around.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Hide behind the gen

Hop in a locker

Be within 40 meters

Mind game by going one way then the other after 4 seconds

• notlonely
    notlonely Member Posts: 391

/s Stunning! The points you gave made complete sense and have no counterplay at all or bring no benefits to overall gameplay. This super OP perk definitely needs a nerf 😡

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Sluzzy alt account spotted

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

Run kindred. Minus the blood points, it is the survivor equivalent to BBQ. You can see which direction the killer is heading.

• NVerde

I will try the locker trick - literally as I said EVERY killer I've seen lately is using it so I will assume they have it

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

BBQ is definitely one of those perks that has great counterplay that's reliable. As other people said, the best option is to just hide in a locker for 4 seconds to hide your aura during the duration of BBQ. But you also won't be revealed if you're within (I believe it's 42 meters?) Of the killer, which is just above your normal 32 meter terror radius- and definitely possible if you know how to stealth.

But tbh, I'd mostly just suggest for you to bite the bullet and learn to run. Don't get me wrong, stealth tactics are important and you should learn them as Survivor, but being proficient in chases that way you can pull aggro for your teammates is super important for Survivor, and can make a difference to how many people get out.

• NVerde

I am definitely trying to practice my running. Trouble I'm having is killers who just want to tunnel and camp. Just had a game with a Ghostface basement camper. Don't see the point of playing like that, it's not fun for anyone and I can't practice escaping in chases.

• NVerde

I hid in locker when he hooked someone in the basement but I went to rescue the basement hooker and just got downed and hooked myself, then instadowned off the hook so it was over pretty quick, no chance to practice

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I'd recommend Kindred if you're still new. It's an absolute godsend for countering campers in solo queue. The amount of info you get from that perk is fantastic.

• Woot1234
    Woot1234 Member Posts: 139

Just because a perk is highly used does not guarantee it's OP. Kindred and bond are two aura perks that are super common in single queue but I doubt many people sincerely believe they need nerfs.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,213

BBQ isn't a strong perk. You can counter it by getting in a locker or being close to the killer.

It's always run by killers because it has a 100% Bloodpoint multiplier attached, IF killers hook each survivor once, which makes it an anti-camp, anti-tunnel perk. It's one of the healthiest perks in the game.

• NVerde

I have used it. Though in this case I kind of suspected he was being camped - but when I see that happen I basically don't care to play the game from that point onward anyway, if someone wants to play like that it's up to them but I don't find just going and fixing generators while they camp to be any fun. I'd rather just get killed and find another game with someone who wants to play the full experience

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

The reason every killer is running it currently is likely due to the DLC -- everyone needs BP for leveling up their new survivor and killer (plus adding their perks onto the characters they actually do play), so BP are in demand, and nothing gets them faster than a round with BBQ.

The bloodweb is such a massive grind, running BBQ when playing killer (or WGLF as a survivor) almost becomes mandatory if you want to see any real progress.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Put the bp bonus to any other perk, even monstrous shrine and you will see that perk instead.

These both scenarios have nothing to do with bbq in any way or am I missing something?

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited April 2021

OP clearly asked for advice on how to deal with BBQ. Please don't assume the worst. 😕

• How_Hamhaesque
    How_Hamhaesque Member Posts: 39

If they're tunneling and camping they only at most get BBQ's bloodpoint benefits since by the time whoever they're tunneling/camping is dead the info from the 4 second aura reveal has long since lost its use.

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

BBQ is one of the weaker Tracking perks. Only reason it's the most used Killer perk is because of the BP gains.

As mentioned here, there are many many counters.

And if you're being camped and tunneled(as mentioned), then BBQ is not even doing anything for the killer.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

Killers only use it for the bloodpoints. Thrilling is a better perk than BBQ by all measures but doesn't get used because it doesn't have the bloodpoints bonus.

As for counters. Use the generator to hide your aura and put it between you and the hooked survivor or just jump into a locker once you see them pick up a survivor.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

A long time ago I just assumed every killer had bbq and these days I probably see it 90 times in 100 matches give it take. It’s a bummer that there isn’t much perk variety in the long-standing/current meta but in regards to bloodpoints bbq is unrivalled.

• Obviously lockers were mentioned as counter play.. get it before they hook and count to 4.
    • You can also get in a locker during the 4 seconds to intentionally show your aura to make the killer think you messed up and then just leave
    • Some people like to move one way and then switch to the opposite direction while their aura is showing but that’s such a common strategy that I like standing still sometimes (or continue on a gen to see if the killer even comes my way)

TL;DR

Bbq is a decently designed perk with counter play and even though it’s boring to see nearly every match or boring that I, myself use it nearly every game when I’m killer... if I’m going to suffer I might as well aim for double bloodpoints lol;p

I actually believe that if killer bloodpoints were doubled by default and Bbq ONLY showed auras then it would be used significantly less.. like bitter murmur for example which is technically a far more consistent aura reading perk in my opinion.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

BBQ is a very inconsistent perk, people only really use it for the bloodpoint bonus. Overall, Thrilling Tremors is much more reliable for patrolling generators.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I wouldn't mind if they made me move away from B&C, but not by nerfing it.

• This is the great survivor paradox.

In a week where everyone is complaining about killers tunneling and DS being too weak, somehow survivors still manage to complain about the killer going 40+ meters away after an unhook to chase a different survivor.

Pick your poison.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

It's a healthy perk and has plenty of counter play.

It's fine.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

Give me another perk that did barely anything except double the bloodpoints at the end of the game like BBQ and I'll use that too xD