Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Solo survivor in disarray

Haven't played survivor too much in a while bcs all I ever play is killer and holy crap has things gone bad. Killer's tunnel and face camp left right and center, survivors either just gtfo asap and leave me to die on hook, crouch around the map or get grabbed off hook. This is with DS and Kindred 😭. Survivor rank rainbows and whatnot.

I swear things weren't always this bad... Maybe occasionally but ever since the (reasonable) DS nerf, solo survivor has been so #########. Even playing with my friend as a duo we couldn't survive because of tunneling and camping and such. It is a valid and necessary tactic yes ofc, I'm just wondering how it's so easy to get Killer's in rank 1 that can't defend gens at all (even if it is a freddy with thana) and resort to tunneling and camping to get some kills.

This entire day I haven't had ONE enjoyable survivor match, they just left me feeling miffed :/

Yes take a break is a valid option, but I literally never play survivor, maybe one or 2 games here and then every day but 99 percent of the time is on killer (which I have no issue with apart from swf genrush squads, my own lack of skill from time to time and weak ass Killer's that can't defend gens/ no map pressure thus having to use the bandaid Corrupt + Pop + BBQ)

*rant over*

Comments

• Dragonshensi
    Dragonshensi Member Posts: 1,516

I’ve been having a string of awful survivor teammates. As in, they play selfish, don’t help, immediately open the door and leave. A lot of these players never even get hooked once, but open the exit gates and leave. They do nothing but screw over their team. But hey, they don’t care cause they want to play selfish. As long as they get out it’s ok. It doesn’t help when a lot of people on this forum don’t think of this game as a team game, excusing selfish behavior that does nothing but ruin the experience for everyone else.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

I am not sure in which platform you're playing, but if ineffective teammates and camping/tunnelling killers are bringing you this level of distraught, i'd suggest turning crossplay off if you're on PC.

Killers in low/mid ranks don't really grasp the importance of patrolling objectives and it's not their fault, they are learning. Same for low rank survivors which don't know how to counter those tactics. Even in red ranks I've had teammates that spent a noticeable amount of time hiding in lockers and doing anything but objectives.

Since ranks are just a measure of time and not experience/skill I await anxiously for the arrival of MMR.

• kermit_snacc_choke
    kermit_snacc_choke Member Posts: 303

Does turning off crossplay affect que times a lot? That's the only thing I'm worried about

• JesseJH28
    JesseJH28 Member Posts: 483

I've noticed more boosted survivors than anything lately. I'll be thinking something like "Meg! That gens regressing right next to you, I'm on a hook ten feet away, why are you self-caring in the corner!?" And just chalk it up to them being a new player. Get out of the match and they're a better rank than me 🤦‍♂️

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

tunneling is the same as it has always beem

new DS stops tunneling the same way old DS did.

"

you just can't ######### abuse it now by gen tapping and healing mid ######### chase and baiting on totems.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

What are you talking about? You must be a killer player?

I mostly play red rank solo, and there has been so much more tunneling this last week it's ridiculous, camping not so much. It's like the killers expect that no one is running DS anymore - there are maybe 1 per game.

I know that Killers are having a hard time against gen rushing SWF's and bullies, but when they do meet a group of solo's it's like they take their frustration out on us. Even when they are clearly winning :(

Don't get me wrong, I feel that there are mostly fair games right now and the DS nerf is a good thing.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I haven't noticed any difference in the matches at all. The game is still just the game.

• Satori
    Satori Member Posts: 75

Dont try to arque with this guy, this is most biased person i seen on entire forum (except maybe one more but that another story)

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

So by this logic if someone breaks my leg, I should go to Walmart and break everyone's legs in there to get revenge on the person who broke my leg?

I understand that killer sucks, but using your previously bad matches as an excuse to ruin other people's matches who had nothing to do with it is complete stupidity.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,175

Maybe at lower ranks, its very common. Doesn't happen all that much at red ranks. Sure, some still do it. But most of my games are okay. & all I do is solo que as survivor at red ranks, so I gotta disagree with you. A lot of people don't wait for the killer to leave the area so he has every reason to come back immediately. & if he's face camping and he has insta down potential like a LF, then you can punish him by getting gens done.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

So you're comparing playing killer and killing survivors to insulting someone in end game chat or sending them angry messages.

The killer is playing the game within the rules and can use whatever tactic they like. Going out of your way to send someone nasty messages over a video game isn't a tactic, that's just called being a idiot.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

I didn't compare them. I said taking out your frustrations on someone who did nothing to you is moronic. Going out of your way to camp, tunnel, and slug people because of someone else's toxicity doesn't make sense.

And obviously endgame toxicity is worse than camping etcetera.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

This seems like the case, in most cases its not even the killer but its the other survivors not doing their job or being helpful. I wish we could stop blaming the killer for everything wrong with the game and put more agency on survivors and their given actions during the match.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Less people are running DS. Which means less games with an obsession. Which means killers joyfully tunnel because there's nothing to stop them. It's not hard to follow.

• Kirkylad

Camping slugging or tunneling isn't toxic it's part of the game and there is nothing wrong with a killer playing that way if he wants to.

• TheOwl
    TheOwl Member Posts: 185

Honestly, I've been finding solo survivor unenjoyable lately, too. It's even to the point where I'd rather play and completely lose a killer match than play another match as a solo survivor. 

While I won't deny that more killers are playing aggressively since the update regarding utilizing camping and tunneling as strategies, most of my lack of enjoyment from playing solo survivors comes from matchmaking. I play at rank 1, and it seems to be a complete draw as to whether I will get decent teammates. I do not expect others to be perfect, and I am not the greatest player myself. However, it is disheartening when I constantly get grouped with players that do not work on any objectives. It pretty much ensures our defeat, and sitting in a queue for so long just to be matched up like that isn't the best feeling. 

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

Jesus, then don't play the game if being insulted gets too mentally taxing. It's not good for your health.

• Kirkylad

They don't that's why a lot of them have quit. Now I have to wait 10+ mins to get a survivor match because of it.

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191

Lol, solo survivor will never be as bad as when people could DC with no repercussions. Nothing like getting matched with an SWF that all DC because they don't like the map/killer.

• kermit_snacc_choke

There's a reason why I said "reasonable ds nerf" if you read the actual post 😀 ofc I know all that. But there is no denying when it comes to the fact that tunneling and camping has gone up tenfold.

• kermit_snacc_choke

Yea the matchmaking exacerbates the issue WAY too much, I'd be fine with tunneling and camping here and there but only if my teammates actually bothered to help counteract it I. E. Not farming, bringing BT, bodyblocking at the right moments, not crouching round the map, not unhook bombing to the point where everyone gets slugged and gets hooked, trade hooks so we dont lose manpower immediately.

There's a lot we can do as teammates, people are just dumb and be like "oh better do gens lol" but when it comes to anything else they hiss. It's ironic yknow, back when old ruin happened, the game would be held to ahalt whilst every survivor ran for their lives to find the hex totem and curbstomp it whilst other survs would just power thru the skill checks and hit great skill checks.

• Kirkylad

It's good that people have left the game and others are having to wait even longer to get into a match because of it. That's a very selfish attitude to have but you seem like the type to not care about anyone but yourself.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

"I want people to pursue a crippling addiction instead of having to wait 10+ minutes to play my epic cat and mouse game, stop being selfish"

Huh?

• Kirkylad

I want both sides to be able to play a game they enjoy and neither feel like they want to give up because people are going out of their way to make a match as frustrating as possible or insulting them, using slurs or telling them to ######### in end game chat by a toxic community that's driving them away.

If you think it's good and you don't care that this is happening and it's driving people away and it's also having a knock on effect on queues making people wait even longer for matches, then yes that's selfish and part of the problem with this community.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407

This is so wrong it is stunning. These tactics while effective are NOT fun. Anything that reduces the fun of a game should be viewed as an existential threat by the development team....but BHVR doesn't realize it yet, that I am not hostage to play games that torture me for the killers enjoyment.

• Kirkylad

The killers having fun and is under no obligation to make sure you're having fun. They can play anyway they please so long as it's within the rules, just like they have over the last 5 years and it's never going to change whether you like it or not.

I have never played any other online game where one side has ever had to consider how much fun the other players are having. Dbd is no exception so they can play however they like and if you don't like that then I'd suggest playing offline games that are played by your made up rules.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Survivors are so badly nerfed and killers are so OP, survivor gameplay is truly in the dumpster fire now and this post reflects it.. I don't know how killers enjoy winning so much.

All slowdown perks need to be heavy nerfed, and there needs to be a perk to stop aura reading. It's getting ridiculous that killers have all these perks doing their work for them and survivors have nothing.

BHVR is too busy listening to only killer mains.

• PsyQuil77
    PsyQuil77 Member Posts: 130

killer main here:

I understand the tunneling and camping is a very "frustrating" (to put it mildly) behavior that you are being subjected to. It's the primary reason that I actively depip to stay in the mid teens. From what I've seen, this is generally a result of one (or more) of these 4 things.

1) The killer just got harrassed by a SWF bully-squad or a SWF with 3 gen-rats and a master looper. This can leave killers quite tilted and many (TOO MANY) resort to this "revenge" strategy, taking out their frustration on (possibly) innocent survivors.

2) A noobish killer got ranked up too quickly and are camping/tunneling out of a sense of panic after seeing what the more experienced survivors are like

3) They have a build that requires tunneling and killing the obsession to work

4) They are just bungholes and horrible people that get their kicks off of the salt in the post chat.

I will admit to tunneling for reason 3 on certain killers, that's just bad RNG that makes you the obsession in those cases. Reason 1 is just you getting the fallout of toxic SWFs. Reason 4? well, this is DBD, Toxic Salt Farmers are everywhere here.

p.s. As a killer main, I am sorry for the behavior of my brethren, please don't let their ill manners ruin your day.

• BodamEscapePlan
    BodamEscapePlan Member Posts: 75

I play both sides with cross-play on (PS4 player) and I haven't gotten a truly toxic match playing as Killer in quite awhile. I generally switch my Killer every map and I don't run meta-perks and lately I've been getting pretty good with Huntress (Whispers-Shadowborne with Trail of Torment & Dragon's Grip or Stridor and Tinkerer if I'm feeling lazy) and I think players respect Huntress so long as you aren't running Iridescent Heads and using the same boring perks. At least, that's my theory as to why I don't run into too many toxic SWF groups.

Playing as Survivor on the other hand (low-level, solo queue) you do see a lot of tunneling off hooks, "camping" near hooks (not even patrolling), and just general Rank 19/20 Killer non-sense. I've finally started to play a lot more games as Survivor so I'm slowly but surely making my way out of those ranks. My problem is I focus on Objectives and being Altruistic too much without getting into enough Chases or getting any points for being Bold or getting hooked very often.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407

It's true, the killers shouldn't have to consider it, but BHVR definitely should. And I'd wager that if you were playing poker or basketball with friends, you wouldn't play in a toxic way. Somehow because of the anonymity of the internet bad manners becomes ok. It's too bad.

You can see it in the Steamcharts, this game isn't invincible the online players are less than half of what they were a year ago. When BHVR messed with the animations and the hitboxes in the previous update the online players plummeted. There's a lesson to learn here, both sides need to be enjoying the game or the game will cease to be.

• Kirkylad

There are many things in this game the either side don't like but it's in the game and it is what it is. Plus this is an online game so every single player is going to have a different kind of play style and that's something you have no control over.

You can't expect everything to be the way you like it in life and change if you don't. That's not how life works so you either except it and deal with it or play something else.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

The fallacy of this logic is it implies that the Killers are trying to ruin games. They are not. They are just taking the easy way out. Not the same thing.

• spirit72
    spirit72 Member Posts: 227

Here's the thing: You can kindasorta make a prediction in the lobby as far as how the game is gonna go. When I see a group of Survivors that all have flashlights, all 4 Claudettes(Claudettes in my experience seem to be the most toxic of all), or all 4 Megs, and so on and so forth, I have a pretty good idea that they're there to abuse the game, and abuse the Killer. So I'll just bow out and let them find another Killer to do that to. Easy Peasy, and no harm done.

Oh.....and I do the same thing when I play Survivor, too.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Seems like people are thoroughly enjoying the game as of late.