Racist Killer?

I find it kind of upsetting that the cannibal is able to unlock claudettes face as a cosmetic. I understand he is able to do so with the entire original 4 survivors; but being able to wear claudettes face is actually pretty problematic. We already deal with a lot of toxicity in the community, especially racism/homophobia, so the fact that there is a white killer that is able to actually paint his face black (african american) as a cosmetic is pretty messed up. I don't think this should be a cosmetic in the game still, it was an interesting idea for cosmetics you can unlock via achieving a certain about of kills on a certain survivor, but at the end of the day this is appropriating toxic/racist behavior especially by killers who troll afterwords and use racial slurs.

Comments

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,873

@Tydie said:
    I'm so glad someone said something, I've been concerned about this for a while as well. As an African American myself I found it to be very insulting. This is especially true when you see almost every Cannibal wearing that specific cosmetic.. it kinda hurts deep down because you know they're doing it as a joke and its a running gag in the community.

Pretty much the only time I use any mask that isn't prestige 3 is when a party of survivors are all the same. Then I take whichever mask matches as a kind of "I want to be part of the fun" type joke. That tends to happen most often with Claudette since she is the most popular survivor. I've done it with Meg and Dwight too though.

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134
    I am never for racism in any form, but at what point are we just bullying the racists?
  • Attackfrog
    Tydie said:

@Ayeknill_lava said:
    I'm glad this discussion is finally happening. There isn't a day that goes by where I look at my skin color and think of myself as someone who gets treated less than most people. Because this is the reality I live in day by day basis I'm used to it which is pretty said to say. I don't think it's asking too much to understand our side. Where in the past people have mocked our skin color for being too dark and advertising bleaching cream to make our complexion lighter. In the past Caucasian people were used blackface as entertainment, over doing their lips with lipstick and covering the whole face in black to mock and make us look silly. Black face was used to make a mockery of African Americans. So when i see a Caucasian putting a black mask on. Look at it in my perspective or at least try to. I get that some of you might say.. well he does white faces too.. well in the past Caucasian people didn't make fun of your whole race using some mask did they? No they didn't.

Exactly, I think people forget our history or they just refuse to step into our shoes. The ignorance needs to stop.

Words like that perpetuate the "us vs them"mentality. There is no such thing as "separate but equal" but phrases like the one you just used perpetuate that very separatism.

There is usually a double standard when  things like this are called out (which you just highlighted), which is probably why there are so many "lol"s being thrown out in this thread.

There are very real race issues out there but the issue in this thread is definitely not one of them and focusing on this is a slap in the face to people who experience racism every day.
  • Attackfrog

@Attackfrog said:
    Tydie said:

@Ayeknill_lava said:

I'm glad this discussion is finally happening. There isn't a day that goes by where I look at my skin color and think of myself as someone who gets treated less than most people. Because this is the reality I live in day by day basis I'm used to it which is pretty said to say. I don't think it's asking too much to understand our side. Where in the past people have mocked our skin color for being too dark and advertising bleaching cream to make our complexion lighter. In the past Caucasian people were used blackface as entertainment, over doing their lips with lipstick and covering the whole face in black to mock and make us look silly. Black face was used to make a mockery of African Americans. So when i see a Caucasian putting a black mask on. Look at it in my perspective or at least try to. I get that some of you might say.. well he does white faces too.. well in the past Caucasian people didn't make fun of your whole race using some mask did they? No they didn't.

Exactly, I think people forget our history or they just refuse to step into our shoes. The ignorance needs to stop.

Words like that perpetuate the "us vs them"mentality. There is no such thing as "separate but equal" but phrases like the one you just used perpetuate that very separatism.

There is usually a double standard when  things like this are called out (which you just highlighted), which is probably why there are so many "lol"s being thrown out in this thread.

There are very real race issues out there but the issue in this thread is definitely not one of them and focusing on this is a slap in the face to people who experience racism every day.

Real issues... There is tons out there, it is VERY separatism because We are SEPERATED. I'm holding myself back because I'm very sensitive to this subject. But this is an issue we can change if we brought this up to the devs. I'm a gamer and you are too. So understand our side. Clearly you did not do your history or failed at it because there is a double standard when you are a lighter pigment vs a darker pigment in day to day life. You get treated as a second class citizen if you are a darker tone than WHITE. You get hate speeches thrown at you or you get assaulted for just existing. I don't get why theres tons of "lols" maybe because people like you have never experienced being in our shoes. In peoples shoes who don't get represented that well in social media. The only slap in the face from your comment is the entire thing. So take a seat because you do not understand our struggle your merely talking out of your behind without any experience in our history.

And there is the proof. I am afraid as long as you continue with you "us vs them" attitude, you will never be happy. It is actually YOU who is saying we are different and I can't understand because of the pigment of MY skin....which you assume is white.

I am afraid you are actually the one being racist in our discussion.

• Attackfrog
    Tydie said:

@Attackfrog said:
    Tydie said:

@Ayeknill_lava said:

Did you really just trivialize this situation? " There are very real race issues out there" How can you even say that? You talk like someone who doesn't know anything about being a minority. You can't just deem this case of racism less racist than the next because what does that even entail? racism is racism.

You are putting events in this game on the same level as the salary gap and socio-economic differences, and racial profiling??

This HAS to be A troll post, right? If not...

A very small world you live in. I envy your blissful ignorance. It's ok, other folks will fight the real battles for you.
  • Ayeknill_lava
    Ayeknill_lava Member Posts: 42

@EntityDispleased said:
    Holy ######### when did these people come up here? LF is a serial killer that wears the faces of his victims. And you know, Claudette happened to be black. Would you like Claudette to have never existed at all in the first place and all of the original survivors would be white instead? You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find racist ######### that isn't there. Leave this garbage at Twitter please.

Yeah I get that LF is a serial killer and that he wears his victims face. DBD is a pretty cool game and I'm sure you'll agree! However this is still a game where people have control of it and decided to put a Black face on a Caucasian male. I'm grateful that we have representation in the community having Claudette as a main survivor. No, I would not like it all if it was no representation other than white in the community. But in my opinion which is my opinion and it is racist because it goes back down to the roots of Caucasians from 1830s it was a mockery of our race. I talk from someone who is a minority because I am angry. I am angry and that is valid. Who are you? god? no you aren't you however are offensive saying my anger is not valid and that I am not a minority when I am. You're merely just spreading hate and defending blackface which you are, and you are coming off offensive which overall seems like your goal. so get off this thread.

• BanAnnazX
    BanAnnazX Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2018
    I understand there’s an issue with black face. I don’t think they ever made the masks with that intention, but maybe they need to rethink it because I’m sure some killer could use it maliciously. I am very happy you brought up this issue. Gives it some light to the people in this community that don’t care about these sorts of issues.
  • Tydie
    Tydie Member Posts: 126
    edited November 2018

And there is the proof. I am afraid as long as you continue with you "us vs them" attitude, you will never be happy. It is actually YOU who is saying we are different and I can't understand because of the pigment of MY skin....which you assume is white.

Us vs Them? We just want this so stop. I just don't want these racists to have an outlet on a game I love. Just the other day when I was streaming someone stream sniped me and came into my stream and said "GET RKT N****" after killing me. The guy/girl happened to be playing leatherface with that same stupid Claudette cosmetic. Is this a coincidence? I don't know but it seems to happen a lot.

• Attackfrog
    If LF was black, would it be ok then? Or could he only wear black faces?

By choosing which color skin is ok to wear, we are being racist by definition.

Some day, we will live in a world where a homicidal maniac can wear the skin of people off any color, regardless of gender or race.
  • Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243
    edited November 2018

Lol don't you have anything better todo on a Saturday night then troll with this nonsense. Smh.

Notice all the brand new accounts on this thread...

• Attackfrog
    edited November 2018
    Tydie said:

Us vs Them? We just want this so stop. I just don't want these racists to have an outlet on a game I love. Just the other day when I was streaming someone stream sniped me and came into my stream and said "GET RKT N****" after killing me. The guy/girl happened to be playing leatherface with that same stupid Claudette cosmetic. Is this a coincidence? I don't know but it seems to happen a lot.

Racists will find a way to be racist no matter what you do. We can fight back by not allowing certain words or actions to phase us and stand up for equal opportunities.

That would be a healthier and more lucrative use of time.
  • BanAnnazX
    Tydie said:

@Attackfrog said:
    Tydie said:

@Ayeknill_lava said:

Did you really just trivialize this situation? " There are very real race issues out there" How can you even say that? You talk like someone who doesn't know anything about being a minority. You can't just deem this case of racism less racist than the next because what does that even entail? racism is racism.

You are putting events in this game on the same level as the salary gap and socio-economic differences, and racial profiling??

This HAS to be A troll post, right? If not...

A very small world you live in. I envy your blissful ignorance. It's ok, other folks will fight the real battles for you.
    Do you think racism and homophobia are not real issues? These are things I deal with every day. And very surprisingly things I deal with in dbd. People say ######### up ######### not knowing who it could hurt. I’m offended you don’t think these issues are a ‘real battle’ but maybe that’s because you a middle aged white military man. Just guessing by what you say. Have a nice week :)
  • EnviouSLAY
    EnviouSLAY Member Posts: 300

This is a serious post to me and a lot of my friends I play with on a regular basis who are POC. I've thought about this ever since the cannibal was released and saw this was a cosmetic you could unlock. I don't enjoy being disregarded and considered a "troll" for trying to make a statement about racism being appropriated in a virtual game. We are the players that keep this community alive and can make a difference.

• Ayeknill_lava
    edited November 2018

@Might_Oakk said:
    Lol don't you have anything better todo on a Saturday night then troll with this nonsense. Smh.

notice the racist self loathing person who has nothing to do but troll. It's called discussing in a forum about a serious subject and participating in the discussion.

• Attackfrog
    edited November 2018

@Attackfrog said:
    Ayeknill_lava said:

@Attackfrog said:

Tydie said:

@Ayeknill_lava said:

Real issues... There is tons out there, it is VERY separatism because We are SEPERATED. I'm holding myself back because I'm very sensitive to this subject. But this is an issue we can change if we brought this up to the devs. I'm a gamer and you are too. So understand our side. Clearly you did not do your history or failed at it because there is a double standard when you are a lighter pigment vs a darker pigment in day to day life. You get treated as a second class citizen if you are a darker tone than WHITE. You get hate speeches thrown at you or you get assaulted for just existing. I don't get why theres tons of "lols" maybe because people like you have never experienced being in our shoes. In peoples shoes who don't get represented that well in social media. The only slap in the face from your comment is the entire thing. So take a seat because you do not understand our struggle your merely talking out of your behind without any experience in our history.

Well I am because you are defending blackface because there is YOU VS THEM if black people are being mocked your laying down and letting them trample you and your ancestors because there is being blackface being thrown at your face constantly and people using it as a troll cosmetic. You can be afraid all you want however I am strong and I stand for things that are offensive. However calling me racist a person who is defending one of the most offensive things in the world... I wish you peace and love because you need it.

I also think you have to look at intent. Claudette mask wasnt put into this game to be malicious. Neither was teabagging (the crouch feature).

I don't really believe this mask is any sort of reference to blackface. Some people might be able to take it there, but only if you let them.

Tbagging is only harassment  if i take it to mean just that. Calling someone a name (ANY name) only holds meaning if the recipient is affected by it.

There are very real social issues that exist whether I, you, or anyone take offense to them or not. I believe that if you are going to get upset over a racial issue, let it be one that holds very real consequences for the victims. What are the consequences of Claudettes mask in this game?
  • BanAnnazX

This is a serious post to me and a lot of my friends I play with on a regular basis who are POC. I've thought about this ever since the cannibal was released and saw this was a cosmetic you could unlock. I don't enjoy being disregarded and considered a "troll" for trying to make a statement about racism being appropriated in a virtual game. We are the players that keep this community alive and can make a difference.

I agree whole heartedly. Being called a troll for my beliefs is disheartening. Maybe some don’t understand what we go through. It wasn’t made with the intent of being used for bad, but it often is. So perhaps the developers need to take it out and remedy the issue. If they take out one.... all should be removed.
  • Tydie
    edited November 2018

@SnakeSound222 said:
    Leatherface is a serial killer who wears the faces of his victims. Claudette just happens to be black. If people want to be racist, then they’ll send you a message before or after the game. I think you guys are thinking too hard about this.

yeah, it makes me feel better to know that the racist gets to call me a slur and also wear a cosmetic to go along with his racism. :)

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243

@Ayeknill_lava said:

@Might_Oakk said:

notice the racist self loathing person who has nothing to do but troll. It's called discussing in a forum about a serious subject and participating in the discussion.

Lol get a life kid :)

• Ayeknill_lava

@Attackfrog said:
    Ayeknill_lava said:

@Attackfrog said:

I also think you have to look at intent. Claudette mask wasnt put into this game to be racist. Neither was teabagging (the crouch feature).

I don't really believe this mask is any sort of reference to blackface. Some people might be able to take it there, but only if you let them.

Tbagging is only harassment  if i take it to mean just that. Calling someone a name (ANY name) only holds meaning if the recipient is affected by it.

There are very real social issues that exist whether I, you, or anyone take offense to them or not. I believe that if you are going to get upset over a racial issue, let it be one that holds very real consequences for the victims. What are the consequences of Claudettes mask in this game?

Saying that This isn't a REAL social issue.. It's a online game, there is social interaction in the game. You just got contradicted yourself it does have a effect on people because Look at this discussion, people who got effected and your merely shrugging it off. I'm not sure who you are and where you come from where you think it is okay to do blackface but it effects people you see me and other people on this thread being effected by it and telling us that this isn't a issue when we are clearly being effected by it and probably thousands of others who don't have a voice in the community. sit down cause you are not typing on a imaginary computer are you? it is real. WAKE UP. The consequences of Claudette mask in the game is having people mock us and using it as some troll piece and calling us the N word which tends to end up in the game. Take a look into our prespective rather than yours because I can't see how you are justifying it. Maybe it wasn't their intent to be racist in the game when they put it in, but it is and it does offend people. To a majority of people it looks like blackface. I get that t-bagging can be annoying but we are discussing about the blackface at the moment.

• Tydie

@BanAnnazX said:
    I agree whole heartedly. Being called a troll for my beliefs is disheartening. Maybe some don’t understand what we go through. It wasn’t made with the intent of being used for bad, but it often is. So perhaps the developers need to take it out and remedy the issue. If they take out one.... all should be removed.

I agree. Didn't they give this some thought before adding a feature that lets a white man wear a black womans face and run around with a chainsaw. It doesn't exactly make us look good, there are so many negative stereotypes out there about us. They should just remove them all if they remove one.

• MrZapp
    MrZapp Member Posts: 102

The...the ######### is this...what?

• Tydie
    edited November 2018

@Avariku said:
    if claudettes face gets removed as a cosmetic option, I think it's only fair to remove all of them... 
    whites and asians aren't the only ones who deserve to have their faces cut off. 

Yes, they should. I don't recall leatherface ever wearing a black persons face in the movies. Also, asian people don't have a history with people mocking them by pretending to be their race by wearing a mask..

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Tydie said:

@SnakeSound222 said:
    Leatherface is a serial killer who wears the faces of his victims. Claudette just happens to be black. If people want to be racist, then they’ll send you a message before or after the game. I think you guys are thinking too hard about this.

yeah, it makes me feel better to know that the racist gets to call me a slur and also wear a cosmetic to go along with his racism. :)

People will send racist messages no matter what cosmetic they wear. 
  • Ayeknill_lava

@SnakeSound222 said:

It's responses like that appropriate racism things in the community.

• BanAnnazX
    Tydie said:

@Avariku said:
    if claudettes face gets removed as a cosmetic option, I think it's only fair to remove all of them... 

Yes, they should. I don't recall leatherface ever wearing a black persons face in the movies. Also, asian people don't have a history with people mocking them by pretending to be their race by wearing a mask..

As an Asian myself, we do have issues with yellow face being used in media. That’s why I’m encouraging to remove all masks. I’m tired of reading racist comment after a match. To sit here and say it’s not a real issue because it’s a game is ignorant. It’s an issue that’s many of us acknowledge and I’m sorry you few people commenting don’t have the brain capacity to understand that this shouldn’t even be included in the game.
  • Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    edited November 2018

@Attackfrog said:
    Ayeknill_lava said:

@Attackfrog said:

Well I am because you are defending blackface because there is YOU VS THEM if black people are being mocked your laying down and letting them trample you and your ancestors because there is being blackface being thrown at your face constantly and people using it as a troll cosmetic. You can be afraid all you want however I am strong and I stand for things that are offensive. However calling me racist a person who is defending one of the most offensive things in the world... I wish you peace and love because you need it.

It's not blackface. Its leatherface. All people can be carved to fit his face and be in his chili. He does not discriminate.  They used the original 4 characters. Simple as that... if the clown painted his face black with all the stereotypical racist addons, yes, it would be horrendously inappropriate. 
  • Tydie

@BanAnnazX said:
    As an Asian myself, we do have issues with yellow face being used in media. That’s why I’m encouraging to remove all masks. I’m tired of reading racist comment after a match. To sit here and say it’s not a real issue because it’s a game is ignorant. It’s an issue that’s many of us acknowledge and I’m sorry you few people commenting don’t have the brain capacity to understand that this shouldn’t even be included in the game.

So sorry, I didn't realize. It just makes my statement more valid that these masks need to be removed due to how offensive they are.

• BanAnnazX
    Tydie said:

@SnakeSound222 said:

So just because they say it it’s ok? We are encouraging them. We are giving them a tool to use in their inappropriate behavior. ‘Racist people will be racist.’ Yes they will... but let’s not give them the tools and encouraging that behavior.
  • Countfunkular
    Countfunkular Member Posts: 405
    @EnviouSLAY
    I completely understand what you're saying. However, this community is more toxic than you give it credit for.

Is this racist? To some it might be but it's just a simple work of fiction. The devs I'm pretty sure didn't think much of it and kind of shouldn't since he's only wearing the four phases of the Baseline survivors.

Now yes some racist people might wear the face and others like myself where is because of how much we can't stand Claudette.

Has an African-American I don't really find This Racist because again it's Leatherface. Wearing human faces it's kind of his job. He collects... yes this is a serious post but you some they think you might be blowing this out of proportion like when the spirit came out
  • Attackfrog
    BanAnnazX said:
    Tydie said:

@Avariku said:

Somehow insulting people who have a different opinion than you is ok though? Again, the racial double standard. 

Let me ask you this, which nobody has answered yet:

Would it be ok if Leatherface was black instead of white?
  • Ayeknill_lava

@Carpemortum said:

It's not blackface. Its leatherface. All people can be carved to fit his face and be in his chili. He does not discriminate.  They used the original 4 characters. Simple as that... if the clown painted his face black with all the stereotypical racist addons, yes, it would be horrendously inappropriate. 

I get that it wasn't meant to be offensive but developers are in-charge of this game and should of overlooked this with their game art director. This is offensive. There is a reason why in the movies of leather face there wasn't a black face shown that he was wearing, because he would of gotten a back lash from critics. On top of that some of the community who is small minded use this mask to troll and use it as a piece of ignorance by flaunting their racist comments on end game.

• Ayeknill_lava
    edited November 2018

@Attackfrog said:

He isn't so there is no what if.

• Carpemortum
    Tydie said:

@Avariku said:

He doesnt wear a specific race in the movie because he kills who he kills. And wears their face. It was a nice tie in to use the games original characters. 
  • Tydie

@Ayeknill_lava said:

@Attackfrog said:

He isn't so there is no what if.

That's not the point.

• Ayeknill_lava
    edited November 2018

@Carpemortum said:

He doesnt wear a specific race in the movie because he kills who he kills. And wears their face. It was a nice tie in to use the games original characters. 

It's a movie so movie directors had control of what he did not do so the audience wouldn't be offended. However the game art director didn't overlook this

• Carpemortum

@Carpemortum said:

I get that it wasn't meant to be offensive but developers are in-charge of this game and should of overlooked this with their game art director. This is offensive. There is a reason why in the movies of leather face there wasn't a black face shown that he was wearing, because he would of gotten a back lash from critics. On top of that some of the community who is small minded use this mask to troll and use it as a piece of ignorance by flaunting their racist comments on end game.

So as opposed to focusing on real issues and actual  accounts of blackface, you focus on the small, closed minded parts and let them bother you? It's not a racist cosmetic, people can make ANYTHING offensive. Fortnite NFL skins to be michael Vick with a dog backpack. Doesnt mean the cosmetics are to blame. 
This discussion has been closed.