Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Useless Perks

Some perk ideas are scary to think about. As much as I love most of the perks, some are completely unreliable in about 90% of situations. Like premonition. It is a horrible version of spine chill and is literally one more perk to waste bp on in my web. Same with slippery meat. Almost useless without the help of luck offerings and perks. I understand they are not teachable perks and shouldn't be god tier, but come on they are terrible.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited April 2021

I mean....they are literally buffing and adjusting a handful of survivor perks right now; and one of them is controversial it might be too good.

Odds are more will be buffed or adjusted next update too.

However more perks are going to come out that are "meh" faster than ones become decent lol.

• PigsEatBacon
    PigsEatBacon Member Posts: 53

Im aware, but there are far more wasteful perks than ones like BT. It was fine the whole time.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I think I'm one of the only people in the world that likes premonition.

• PigsEatBacon

Truly game changing. Just when the killer was about to get that 4k, TINH comes in mad clutch every time. BHVR seriously needs to nerf.

• PigsEatBacon

Funny enough I run slippery meat often, and its fun, but only with up the ante and vigos jar. Other than that, I could never.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Knowing the direction they are coming from I feel is really good. With spine chill all you know is that they are looking at you so at times you can run into the killer trying to get away.

Don't get me wrong spine chill is clearly superior and has other applications regarding chases but I just think premonition has its good uses as well. The only thing holding it back is its insanely long cooldown.

• Mrs_Fairfield
    Mrs_Fairfield Member Posts: 125

Buckle Up: Unlocks potential in your Aura-reading ability.

You can determine the Recovery progress of dying Survivors by the intensity of their Aura. Allows you to see that your teammates have given up and would rather just bleed out.

• PigsEatBacon

If premonition had no cooldown and the icon just stayed as long as they were there could make the perk pretty decent.

Wait a minute, Spine Chill + Premonition = New Meta. Goodbye lucky break. >:)

• PigsEatBacon

Unlocks potential in ones aura reading ability.

Allows you to see the exact moment your team throws the match.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

Just a reminder:

Not all perks can be meta, good or even viable.

• PigsEatBacon

Just a reminder: I did not say they needed to be. The post implied to focus on 'perks' that were barely noticed. And as for viability, why create them if they have no intent to be used or demonstrated in any way?

• dnj510
    dnj510 Member Posts: 438

I like it, but only if Spine Chill isn't available on one of my survivors.

• lagosta

That's a natural design limitation that games with extended life cycles go through. When DBD was created, perks could have simple and straight forward uses, some aged well (IW), others aged too well and needed to be changed (NOED becoming totem based, Self Care), others aged like milk (Saboteur). Those changes happened mostly bc of the META establishment and Devs tweaking in a preemptive or reactive manner.

During that time, more and more chapters were introduced and, after a while, there is so many niches a perk can be allocated to. Whenever a new perk is introduced to an existing niche, it will shake that subset of perks and inherently one will be knocked into the worst position. Let's look into a brief history of the exhaustion perks, mostly bc no one uses more than one at a time so there is a clear power distinction in the community. Also, I'm leaving Head On and Adrenaline out and just focusing on the ones that potentially give haste for a more streamlined experience.

• 1.0.0 SB: First introduced, base kit for anyone who purchases the game, very reliable and easy to activate.
    • 1.1.0 BL: Introduced with Nea, strong stagger reduction passive along with haste effect. Could be used along with SB.
    • 1.5.0 Exhaustion introduced here, now BL and SB can't be used together.
    • 1.5.1 Lithe introduced here. Still not as useful as SB or granted a passive effect like BL. Arguably the worst.
    • 1.6.0 DH introduced here. <= First instance of the activation button being used to trigger an exhaustion perk. Contender for the best among the community.
    • 3.2.0 Dedicated servers introduced, DH suffers a hit for unreliable i-frames. Still ties for best with SB due to the on-demand activation.
    • 3.4.0 BL is buffed to muffle the stagger sound when activated and nerfed to remove the passive effect when exhaustion is active. Clearly deemed worst in the category by the community now.
    • 4.6.0 SH introduced, but people don't use bc of the current pallet stun bug. Needs to be reassessed by the community once the bug is gone.

There will be always one perk deemed the worst by community and if it is buffed, the second worst will take the crown. The introduction of new perks that fill the same niche require either more gimmicky attached to them (like the activation requirements that have grown increasingly more conditional) or the introduction a new complexity in layer (such as a button to activate DH).

A possible solution to circumvent the issue of more and more perks that don't render others useless is to introduce new mechanics like totems. Now there are perks that help track totems, and a new niche for Hexes. The issue is that it also adds more steps in the checklist of a game that is has been fairly optimized by the community and can lead to boring matches (Clear Ruin, Clear Undying, Repair 5 Gens, Open the Door, Escape) and/or unfriendly experience to new and casual players.

This is an issue that borders closely to power creep/feature creep and there are tons of materials discussing it. I'd advise to take a look, it's an amazing topic for discussion. Some sources related to other games but that can be easily related to the current state of DBD are the following:

MTG: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-2002-01-28

Awesome small video on the topic: https://youtu.be/Bxszx60ZwGw

xoxo

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

I personally find these ones useless off the top of my head:

Breakout - after trying and failing to complete the current challenge to get a killer to drop someone while this perk is enabled I definitely will never use this perk again. I just feel like the proximity you have to be to them is too short, it's too dependent on position to the hook (if they are remotely near you have no chance) and if the killer doesn't swing for you it's also not likely to work. It's telling that the advice for completing the challenge involves trying to get a flashlight or pallet save instead, or use the medikit add-on to give endurance.

Slippery Meat - I am not a big fan of one-and-done perks in general, but this still doesn't guarantee you success with your self-unhook so you could use a perk slot, still not unhook yourself, and it has been completely wasted.

Saboteur - I am not skilled enough to work out which hook the killer is going to, get to it, and sabotage it before they can reach it and hit me, and then hook them anyway. I've tried it many times and it's just not for me.

• lagosta

Saboteur gives you the best sabotage action speed. You can equip Breakout and just follow the killer to the hook, block the first hit, use saboteur and run away or use DH. Unless the killer has STBFL, you can avoid a second hit safely. You just need to start the sabotage immediately after the hit.

• PigsEatBacon

Funny how none of it was relevant towards anything I said.

xoxo

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

There are many very niche perks and some that are only useful in specific builds, but at least these have a use (as said, slippery meat + luck offerings and up the ante can be incredibly OP).

The ones I have a problem with are the ones that are absolutely useless, like monstrous shrine and sole survivor

• lagosta

And as for viability, why create them if they have no intent to be used or demonstrated in any way?

The question above is exactly the one you asked and I went out of my way to explain why all perks are not created to be viable, even by exemplifying a particular niche, a clear timeline of development for this game, and even external material.

My fault, I'm sorry. How can I expect a dialogue with someone who doesn't read what they type? xoxo

• PigsEatBacon

Lmao it's funny how you assumed everything I meant by 2 perks I would like to see changed. Otherwise you would have realized you made no sense the entire time. Pls have a good night xoxo.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

How come they are not buffing more killer perks? Survivors are plenty powerful, killers need some love on the perk side.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

I like Vigil