Why is body blocking a bannable offense when there are perks built around it?

Options
Zixology
Zixology Member Posts: 1,062

We have perks like MoM and WGLF that are built around body blocking for other people.

We even have archive challenges built around taking X amount of protection hits, which can't be done without body blocking.

So why can we get banned for it?

Comments

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

Body blocking is ok as long as it doesn't take the game hostage. If you body block to tank a hit, that's just playing the game. But if you trap someone in a corner until they quit, that's bannable.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

tanking a hit is not bannable. In the unlikely even I'm wrong and it is, I will uninstall this game and never come back.

What the guy said above me is the truth. If you corner a survivor more several minutes and do nothing - that's likely what will get you banned. But blocking killer hits or blocking the killer's path is 100% allowed.

• ItzZane_
    ItzZane_ Member Posts: 965
    Options

Bodyblocking as in sandbagging for example a nea blocks you so the killer could hit you

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062
    Options

I mean... If a killer blocks one person in a corner and refuses to hit them, the game will still eventually end as well.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

Camping a hook is a valid tactic that has counterplay. It has valid reasons to be in the game and the devs have acknowledged that it is a legit strategy. Staying by a hook when there's multiple survivors around or defending a kill at the end game are both very good reasons to camp. Body blocking someone for extended periods of time does not have any gameplay purpose. Perhaps a mod can explain it better.

@MandyTalk @Gay Myers (Luzi)

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,481
    Options

Not if they're the last Survivor.

Even when there still are other Survivors, they have to repair several generators and open an exit gate, on top of starting the two minute timer for EGS. That can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes.

Camping someone on a hook for two minutes is not bannable by any stretch of the imagination. The devs have gone on record stating this many times.

• FrenziedRoach
    Options

Um... no. Camping does not delay the game like cornering somebody in a corner can. If somebody is camping, then the survivors have the means to progress the game anyway by doing the gens. However, if a survivor or killer blocks a survivor into a corner - then that is most definately bannable

Nice try though. Devs have said time and time again camping is allowed... for the past FIVE YEARS they've said that. So move on please.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited April 2021
    Options

I've had to explain this to people a lot before, so I've learned the easiest way to explain it for folks:

Bodyblocking is a tool in survivor and killers arsenal they can use to play the game in various ways.

Bodyblocking is not a bannable offense.

Griefing is a bannable offense.

When you for example, block a survivor in a corner to not let them play and just stand there you are just griefing that one person (Not waiting out a BT, not doing it to even kill with EGC, but clearly just to grief) That is a reportable offense.

I hope that helps.

• FrenziedRoach
    Options

If you want to have a serious discussion and not play word games, that's fine. But I'm getting the definate impression you want to play the religious apologist regarding camping and just play word games.

If that's what you are here for, you can just clear off.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options
  • ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    Options

It isn't. If you're doing something like having four guys corner a killer with WGLF, Botany, Leader/autodidact, and soul guard, and just heal-blocking them in there, then that's bannable under holding the game hostage. But normal bodyblocking as a strategic maneuver isn't verboten at all.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

If you hold the game hostage by doing it then it's bannable.

• RenTheCat
    RenTheCat Member Posts: 212
    Options

Nobody gets banned for anything.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

Camping doesn't hold the game hostage. The person on the hook is going somewhere fast. :) Blocking someone in an awkward corner and holding them indefinitely, where the game cannot get to the ECG is different.

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 752
    Options

i feel like it got glossed over and then ignored very quickly, but survivor v survivor bodyblocking is the problem.

standing in doorways so other people can't get through, standing in front of vaults so people can't use them, trapping your teammates in corners with totems, etc

not everything is about killers.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

Like i said, it is only bannable if what you are doing prevents the game from ending. At this stage of the game, the only way that can really be done is by body blocking 2 survivors in a corner. Even if you body block someone in a corner, the other survivors can still repair generators and the game can eventually end. Same with camping a hook. Eventually the survivor dies.

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927
    Options

The type of body blocking that is bannable is, like, if the killer blocks the last survivor in a corner without closing the hatch. No etc timer, no attacking. The game will literally never end unless the last survivor disconnects.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903
    Options

standing infront of a vault where the killer is chasing the other survivor well they can move somewhere else, that's possibly griefing or AFKing, but probably not bannable, however as you and others have said blocking someone in a corner for several minutes, even if EGC is activated, that would be bannable, mikie trapping someone in a corner to SUCK for Tier 3 from tier 1 on the survivor was suggested as bannable, but blocking them in a corner to rev the chainsaw and down them it is not. so it is a situational thing.

definition of camping: Staying in the vicinity of a hook in various ways, while a survivor is on that hook. Players will be able to get the hooked person inf they are clever enough.

definition of body blocking: standing in a location that blocks a player from moving away from the location.

Determination of how long is allowed is done by the devs though you can't tie a specific number where it changes from not bannable to bannable. thus Camping is not body blocking and is a bad conclusion. Bodyblocking a survivor like that even though EGC can finish the game can still be bannable.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583
    Options

Camping is finite. In a minute or two the survivor will be sacrificed regardless.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

That’s not quite correct. Survivors blocking in other survivors indefinitely in a corner, or dead end can also be banned.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Options

You get banned for bodyblocking someone in a corner etc so they aren't able to play the game.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Sad case of 2 things being called the same.

With bodyblocking they mean trapping a survivor in a corner and then going afk or survivors using some terrain bug to block the killer so he can't move or swing at them.

Trying to take a hit or obstructing obviously isn't bannable. Even bodyblocking a survivor in a corner for a minute is fine to prevent something like ds i think. It's when it's done in excessive amount that there is a problem

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

It's one of the examples where the reporting categories in the report popup really need some work. It just says "bodyblocking" instead of explaining how it refers to blocking in such a way that makes someone incapable of actually playing the game or taking the game hostage.

I'm certain this confusion is perhaps the primary reason you see some misinformed people claiming that people blocking hooks or a Billy keeping them in a corner while revving their chainsaw is against the rules.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I've actually had a Survivor body block me as Killer exactly once. It was a long time ago on one of the Coldwind maps as the Clown. The Survivor somehow had me blocked on the exit point of the tractor in such a way that I could not get off the tractor, I could not double back and get back to the top of the tractor, and I was a little too high to be able to attack the Survivor with my M1. The Survivor basically kept me there until the game was over and the Exit Gate was open (this was prior to EGC).

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815
    Options

Body blocking is specifically allowed in the rules, not bannable, players are specifically asked NOT to report it.

This discussion has been closed.