Most Underrated Killers

I was just curious about who people think the killers are that are generally frowned upon for their lack of usability when they're actually very plausible, they just require a different skill level/playstyle.

People usually base killers off their lethality/map control, but if you have enough of one, the other doesn't matter half as much. For instance, pig is a totally plausible killer, but people look down on her just because people play her traps incorrectly (yes, they're rng to an extent, but being smart and using pressure and all that jazz makes them very usable), and when you run into a good pig... you lose pretty quickly.

Thoughts on other killers who are underrated?

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Clown. He has great chase and his antidote isn’t used enough. Great add ons too

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

Trickster, he is fine when you learn him perfectly. Not perfect but also not weakest.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

Id say Myers. If you have the the right perks you can make him pretty solid and his addons are some of the most interesting/gamechanging in the game.

You can also make some fun builds that surprise people (such as using obsession perks that make you want to harm your obsession) and you can run add ons that are better against your obsession. People don't expect it and it works pretty well.

I think he needs a little love though but I like him a lot

• sleepywynd
    sleepywynd Member Posts: 118

Plague is definitely powerful in this aspect, even if she becomes an M1 killer, she only has to hit everyone once and its basically an expose. Very respectable.

• sleepywynd

He definitely has some powerful addons and I don't see enough of him, he's honestly fun for both sides.

• sleepywynd

Playing against Myers has to be the most stressful thing in the game for some reason. He's underplayed too because people expect him to stay by normal metas.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Doc and Bubba are pretty underrated.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,636

I think Pig is very underrated.

• IWasLeft2Die

Yeah I would put him behind spirit and nurse (he has a little more risks to him than the others) but has very similar rewards. Very underrated

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

Doctor is the number 2 with most kills in red ranks and number 5 overall from stats posted last year. A good doctor is scary. He's my main and I enjoy him immensely!

I wonder if its more of his power is more complex so people get turned off by him, so survivors aren't use to playing against him. Ive seen ranks 10-15 pallet camp and I laugh as I hit shock therapy lol

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

You shouldn't quote kill rates. Those statistics are flawed for a multitude of reasons to being near worthless in terms of actually measuring balance and a killers strength.

He's underrated because most people use him incorrectly. Underrated doesn't mean "strong" though, just better than most people give him credit for.

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

A good blight is deadly. Easily one of the strongest killers, but seems like its a lot of work to learn to play him.

• Harold_Shipman

I tried him and he was incredibly difficult to control. I've seen people pull off some insane hits but I cant imagine it was easy. I guess to many it seems like a lot of effort when you can just pick up spirit and a decent headset and get instant results, but I always have a lot of respect for a good blight.

Plus they always seem to come in 2 flavours: ######### and camp/tunnel, or skilled and just outright awesome people.

• Harold_Shipman

I tried him and he was incredibly difficult to control. I've seen people pull off some insane hits but I cant imagine it was easy. I guess to many it seems like a lot of effort when you can just pick up spirit and a decent headset and get instant results, but I always have a lot of respect for a good blight.

Plus they always seem to come in 2 flavours: ######### and camp/tunnel, or skilled and just outright awesome people.

• PureDoctorMain
    PureDoctorMain Member Posts: 341

Doc. Doc Best killer. Doc best character. In summary

Doc

• IWasLeft2Die

Yeah he is feels like a similar skill demand as nurse but has slightly more weaknesses

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

Bubba is a monster if you know how to maneuver and time his saws. People will constantly be on hooks.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

Relative to an average dbd player opinion, Twins seem to be the most underrated killer. 4th/5th strongest killer in the game being widely regarded as C tier is rather peculiar.

• IWasLeft2Die

But she can function better on multi floor maps and he still has to various obstacles where she can ignore them beyond just pallets. Blight is only slightly behind because of these two. He may have better general chase but he drops on some maps while nurse is the same (and potentially better) on certain maps. She isn't really bad on any map while he can be less good on certain maps

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

It’s people not playing him. If the amount of games I get with 3 to 4 kills is honestly surprising. People don’t expect you to be able to find them immediately cause you can shock half the map. What perks do you run, I don’t find many other doc mains so I’m curious

• IWasLeft2Die

Just so we're clear, are we talking about who is better between nurse or blight or if blight requires as much skill or not? Just wanted to double check

• IWasLeft2Die

Oh yeah that all makes more sense lol. Glad we got on the same page.

Yeah I think blight is definetly easier of the two but he is still one of the most difficult killers (especially console). Nurse is a good bit more difficult.

Seems like we basically agree.

• Altarf
    Altarf Member Posts: 1,045

Because in order for the Twins to work, the survivors have to not know how to counter them. (healing, sticking together, kidnapping Victor, etcetera) Plus, the Twins player has to be willing to mass 4man slug and camp - and if we're judging killers in a tierlist based off sweaty and scummy tactics, then Bubba is S tier because he can guarantee at minimum 2 kills via facecamping. Hell, most killers instantly skyrocket in tier placement if you're willing to go for 4 man slugs at every opportunity. It's unfair to judge Twins while letting them 4 man slug at every opportunity as better than the other killers who aren't allowed to under a tierlist.

But, if you don't want to sweat out, the Twins are completely incapable at most things - they're too inefficient to hook survivors like normal, Charlotte is an M1 killer and Victor is useless against healthy survivors. Combine this with survivors who know how to go against Twins, and you'll see why they're B-C tier at the absolute maximum against good players. Source - I play Twins a lot.

That's just my opinion though, the Twins definitely aren't weak - but they aren't A tier unless the survivors play badly or the Twins player 4 man slugs and tunnels at every opportunity, which frankly is more a sign of how poorly the Twins are implemented than anything else.

• TruffleTurtle
    TruffleTurtle Member Posts: 614

I wouldn't say they are incapable of winning if they don't 4 man slug, but they are definitely slept on. In all honesty that's how ppl played them when they first came out so now everyone thinks that's the only viable way. They can be decent at keeping pressure to everyone if used correctly and combined with perks, can keep everyone injured well too, which then allows victor to snowball them if they happen to group up or fail to punish them.

Point is while I would rank them B, they aren't as bad and dependent on mass slugging as everyone says they are.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Myers for one. People drastically underestimate having 100% always on Undetectable until you decide to end it. So many Survivors get very dumb and very inefficient when they get nearly zero info on where the Killer is. They also very much underestimate T2 having only a 16m TR at base instead of the normal 32m. Giving the Survivors half the warning (or less) that you're coming is actually quite good. Now granted very open maps and Spine Chill kind of ruin him, but his strengths are unique and very much worth it.

Legion for the other. Yeah their power isn't going to down anyone, but it can easily force Survivors to waste a ton of time. Even more if you bring perks that make staying injured a really bad idea.

• IWasLeft2Die

Yeah playing against him can be really rough. I don't see him a ton unfortunately.

(Side note, sorry about me getting a little heated on that one thread a bit ago. I overreacted lol)

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,904

I second this. Mookel Myers can really snowball a match.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

My biased opinion is The Pig, since I play more of her than anyone else.

As has been stated, she has her own innate slowdown mechanism in the RBT's. I've had plenty of games where the first couple of gens popped and then -- nothing -- as I applied pressure to untrapped survivors while their teammates frantically wasted time trying to get active traps off. That slowdown is invaluable.

The ability to get a kill as well with an RBT is also huge. I've had a match where I hooked someone for their death hook and had someone's RBT kill them somewhere across the map -- while someone like Bubba can down multiple people in one attack, only the Pig can get two people simultaneously dead through normal gameplay. When that happens (it's rare, but satisfying), it's completely a game-ender.

She doesn't have any particular power that's overbearing or OP, but she can be played multiple ways. Sometimes stealthy, sometimes aggressively, like using her Ambush attack in loops against a survivor. She's clearly no Nurse of Spirit, but I'm surprised more people don't play her (and some that do, play her incorrectly -- i.e., tunneling a survivor with an inactive trap while the rest of a team powers through getting multiple gens to pop at once).

I also think Wraith is currently underrated as well. He went from a low-tier killer to actually dangerous, even against good survivors, with the buff to his cloaked movement speed.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Plague, Pig, and Twins.

Plague because it’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario. Don’t cleanse and she has easy tracking, counters all healing perks, and an insta down. Cleanse and she gets her better power and I’ve seen some Plague’s get some really good shots with her Corrupt Purge.

Pig can slow the game to a halt with her RBT. She’s not the greatest but for some reason I usually do well with her despite running zero slowdown perks.

Twins are actually pretty good due to being in two places at once but you have to play them very campy and slug a lot :/

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

I run a few perk builds, but right now I'm running the below build:

Whispers: I love static blast but the cooldown is too long, even with order add ons. Whispers guarantees at least 1 hit, or it can show me if somebody is hiding in locker since Whispers activates but Static Blast missed.

Corrupt Intervention: Doctor doesn't have any way to cross map quickly so locking 3 furthest gens gives me time to build up steam.

BBQ: generic perk for locating and BP lol

PGTW: only gen regression in my build when I have time to kick.

Goal is to minimize searching time and apply pressure.

I'm thinking of dropping BBQ for Iron Maiden as it'll give me information, but exposes them at the same time.

Ive had fun with PGTW and Oppression but I find it hard to continously keep kicking gens.

PGTW is okay too, but I am thinking of switching to either Surge or Starstruck to either down another survivor or auto regress gens. This is probably better for my playstyle since I don't have to kick gens.

You can also run Starstruck and Infectious Fright for instant information.

I also had fun with Corrupt Intervention + Thrilling Tremors combo for again slowing game down and information.

• Itz_Stabby_Goku
    Itz_Stabby_Goku Member Posts: 22

Legion, heavily underestimated potential, great slowdown abilities and literally cuts the amount of actual good chase plays you need to make in half. It's just the fact that you are overly punished for messing up that makes them seem worse than they really are.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

He can do a few tricks, but he is definitely one of the weakest. If you drop a pallet early as a survivor, what is the Clown going to do?

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

You are telling me that I can play Clown in a high tournament and win?

• IWasLeft2Die

I strongly disagree. Even otz and other competitive players agree survivors are favored overall and some killers are not tournament viable against teams (especially teams with coms)

• IWasLeft2Die
    edited April 2021

I guess you must be the best player in the entire game. We are not worthy

Honestly though all of the top killer mains have agreed that the best survivors (even without coms) are unstoppable. I just don't believe you. The top survivors will always beat the top killers. It's been shown time and time again.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

Twins, against an uncoordinated group of survivors its a massacare. The do drop off a lot when its a SWF or even just duos since playing in pairs makes them so much weaker but generally solo survivors don't have the brainpower to do that.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

Demogorgon and Blight.

Blight is arguably the 2nd or 3rd strongest killer in the game; he's insane.

Demogorgon is top B tier IMO, he's quite balanced and strong overall, underused and misunderstood for some reason.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 989

IMO, Plague is the best ranged killer and easily A tier material. Hit validation makes her life a bit more difficult, but that's a issue that may be fixed in the future.

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

Demoboi. Pallet shredding and zoning capabilities as well as mapwide teleport. Yes.

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

I just love playing as him. When survivors sees me, they thinking that gonna easy game. I am changing them mind.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

So true about Plague. This is especially potent when she’s played correctly, with an emphasis on getting all 4 survivors infected with base infection ASAP, so that they all passively reach broken early in the game.

I find by mid/late game, the survivors just can’t take it anymore (and I’m talking about highly skilled survivors), and always eventually start cleansing, no matter how stubborn they are.