Why do I feel like I have to play Spirit to get kills?

20_Henry
20_Henry Member Posts: 25
edited April 2021 in General Discussions

I have almost 1000 hours in the game which is not a lot I guess. I can no longer play fun builds at red ranks and meta perks on other killers is not working recently either. Even when I lose I black pip so it is a never-ending cycle forcing me to play spirit if I decide I want kills.

Post edited by 20_Henry on

Comments

• 20_Henry

Yeah, they are either really stealthy with sprint burst or play super safe. I know that it is more than possible to do good with other killers but I don't know why this has been happening recently.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I've no clue; I play Myers almost exclusively unless I get a wild hair. I seem to do just fine at the Red Ranks. Pick someone other than Spirit and keep playing them until you can perform at the level you want. There are no shortcuts in this game. While there is some cross over for all Killers, you need to spend a certain amount of time in each one to get good.

• 20_Henry

Is it possible we passively forget these things? Most of my hours are in killer and most were in other killers in which I did fine. Thinking I might need a break.

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

Seems like you have more experience with spirit than the others.

Just need to practice more more the other killers. I rotate between legion, bubba, Clown, huntress, and twins and I get at the minimum 2k on all these killers, moat of the time 4k or 3 with a hatch escape.

• BananaBlooD95
    BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 555

And that's why I really want a decent match making. A somewhat decent player playing Spirit will face good survivor and they will both have a decent match. That same killer player could then play a killer he has no experience like Nurse and face weaker survivor.

Learning a new killer is hard when you get red rank with 1 particular killer because all killer play differently. 100h on Legion only mean you should be good with M1 115%killer at looping, the skill doesn't translate to any of the ranged killer or other killer.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

Practice and play other Killers. Spirit functions extremely differently from most of the roster, wherein you don't play loops with her like you might something like Wraith, due to the whole 'Stand Still, fake phase' tactic. Anyone can do well with any killer in Red Ranks. It just means you don't know how to play other killers well enough, causing other players to out perform you.

Just practice on other killers- Wraith, Oni, Bubba, and Demo are great options for this- and learn how to play everything using their kits. Trapper is also good for this. Hag has a very off-the wall playstyle, so I wouldn't recommend her though- and the range killers are all a little funky in their own way. GF, Myers, and Pig are also great people to practice on, along with Billy. Plague and Legion can be great as well, though again, Plague is a little Funky with range and Legion is a hard sell for most people. Clown, Freddy, PH, and Doctor deny a lot of loops, but they aren't terrible. I don't even know how to describe Twins tbh. Blight is great like Billy and Oni, I just wouldn't learn J-Flick (if it hasn't already been patched yet) since they said it's gonna be leaving soon. Nurse has the Spirit and Hag issue, in which their playstyle is really weird compared to everyone else's, wouldn't recommend for learning loops.

Good Luck! You can do it with practice!

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245

You don't.

I have been a red rank killer for almost 4 years - I main Doctor and also play Huntress regularly and have no issues getting 2-4k.

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

I mean every killer has above an average 50% kill rate in red ranks and the vast majority have above 60%. If the average killer can do it you can too, it just takes time and practice.

• Quake
    Quake Member Posts: 230

I was in the same situation as you when I started the game,i spammed spirit until around r6 if I remember,couldn't rank any higher.

Then the nurse happened.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

Bro...then just depip.... rank does nothing for you, there is no benefit, you don't lose anything going to a lower rank.

Pls focus on having fun first, play killers you like with the perks you like and if that means "being stuck" at for example rank 10, who cares? Enjoy your matches

• Quake
    Quake Member Posts: 230

I was in the same situation when I was new,spammed spirit until r7 I think,couldn't rank any higher.

Then the nurse happened.

I mean if all you care about is getting to r1.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

you can't depip without doing nothing. the safety pip is too easy to get.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

ok then get safety pips, what does it matter, just play what you want with the perks you want and dont care about deranking because you happen to go against sweaty try hards, just derank to where those arent around as much and have some fun

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501

Honestly i suck with spirit even with 6k hours. I play much better with like wraith since i like predicting with my lunge and lunging around an entire loop. Do i still lose against very good teams? Of course but i already know the games kinda unbalanced and wraith won't do as good as say a spirit. His buff makes it though i win most of my games since hes much more rewarding now for your skill. So most of my matches are a 4k. So far i got a 15 streak going.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Perhaps you might need some hours playing survivor, just discovering the survivor POV more and finding out weaknesses against killers you play as that you were not really aware off. A lot of killer mains do not find out about the red stain untill they played survivor. Knowledge of the red stain is quite crucial to red rank killers. But that is not all.

Other examples are: footstep loudness, sound notifications(there is a ring when deathslinger is aiming at you, that gets louder the closer it is to the center of your hitbox, or clown sounding exactly the same if he vaults a window or throws a bottle), visual notifications.

Information is your biggest asset in higher ranks. Knowing what you can weaponize against your opponent gives you an arsenal of mindgames to pick and choose from. This is why survivors sometimes just decide to crouch around the corner, because they know their scratchmarks can appear slightly in front of them and lose the killer. It is why survivors are often caught off guard when Myers vaulted a window faster than they anticipated. It is what allows survivors with inactive pig traps to check 1 box that is the furthest away from all other boxes before they go sit on a generator, and if that box doesnt have a slowdown, they just might sit on a gen anyway untill their trap becomes activated.

Knowing reasoning behind survivor movement is key into being able to catch them with a killer. Spirit is for this exact reason, one of the worst killers to be added to the roster(balancing wise, not power wise). She allows people to climb the ranks fast to the point where people are forced to play her because they werent forced to counterplay survivors at any point in time. This is one of the many, many, many reasons why Spirit needs more interactive counterplay.

• MeepLessThan3
    MeepLessThan3 Member Posts: 85

What fun builds were you playing before tbh?

• 20_Henry

Anything that would be considered outside of the meta like speed builds (nothing that would cause me to play abnormally) and themed builds centred around oppression for example. Nothing specific, I just find the meta builds so boring.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Honestly, it could just be that you're stuck going against extremely efficient teams. It's unlikely, but it could be happenning. Personally I find Blight to be more fun and effective, but then again I go against a lot of hold W players that kind of... Die.