Is holding one survivor hostage while actively pressuring others holding the game hostage?

wildtrapjake
wildtrapjake Member Posts: 68
edited April 2021 in General Discussions

My example: playing twins on the silent hill map.

A survivor runs up to the top of the stairs where it is a dead end.

I block the small passage out and use victor to traverse the map.

The one survivor is stuck doing nothing during this time.

I'm still downing other survivors and pressuring gens, is this foul/exploit play or a creative situation?

Edit--

To further give example, they were trapped for about 1 1/2 min as I slugged one survivor and pounced another before returning to charlotte and hitting the healthy trapped survivor. (Which then runs through me). I could've technically brought victor back to me first for the double hit, but I was just playing a fun game rather than tryharding.

It was near end game with 1 gen left.

The trapped survivor actually found the occurrence entertaining and praised the creativity of the situation.

I feel like everything is always up to interpretation/perception.

Post edited by wildtrapjake on

Comments

• Ruma
    Ruma Member Posts: 2,069

I got told, that as long as i still pressure and down other survivors, its not bannable.

If you still stay there even if you downed everyone, then it is bannable.

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

I don’t think it is. But it is pretty damn funny

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I wouldn't say you are, since you are still doing stuff with victor...

but it really depends on how long it lasted, like @lagosta said.

if you're just reseting victor when he dies, then if it isn't banable, it should be.

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

If you do this so long they get afk crows be prepared to get a ban if they decide to report you because that is the definition of griefing.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

It's ... unclear. You're still moving the game along with Victor, but you're still preventing one guy from moving the game along. That's probably why they're removing Charlotte's collision after a while of idling her.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

That’s a bannable offense because it’s actually holding a survivor’s game hostage.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

If this is true, then good. That she can block the only entrance to a room with a hook, including the basement, while Victor is out, is ridiculous and shouldn't have ever been possible. And with the new change to BT, it should count too (even though the nerf that came with it was entirely unnecessary)

• wildtrapjake

Was near end game, and just happened to realize it could occur and so decided to use it to my advantage. The survivor actually thought it was an entertaining occurrence in end game chat.

• wildtrapjake

On the contrary I think collision should always be apparent, but map generation should account for this to prevent body traps.

• Viktor1853
    Viktor1853 Member Posts: 943

you should not do that again it is a bannable offense. Just you are holding someones game hostage

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Thank you for answering with some context. I understand a little more now.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309
    edited April 2021

Considering it is bannable to block people for them to die by EGC unless it's done after it has started or "shortly before", there's probably some situations where this isn't considered fine as well. But I wouldn't know for sure, but either way it's probably gameplay the devs would be happy to very clearly discourage.

But it's more the kind of thing that people shouldn't be surprised if the devs made changes to make it impossible to do in the first place if it became a common thing for people to do, like they did when they widened a lot of one-way entrances (like the basement stairs many places) and added alternative paths (like the dropdown in Thompson House) to prevent more "general" non short-term blocking scenarios.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

Preventing a survivor from being able to participate in the game by blocking them in a corner for extended time is considered griefing and is reportable/bannable. The mods have said this multiple times that if you body block a player in the corner for the match where they cannot move you can be reported and banned. It's nice this survivor said it was fine but the next survivor may not and can send video down if you are body blocking them in corners.

• ggezbaby
    ggezbaby Member Posts: 404

i would try to avoid doing that, I believe it’s bannable. also kind of cheap.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

Good rule of thumb is if you have to ask what you're doing banable and if it does seem scummy, it probably is.

Although that particular survivor didn't seem that bothered most would he very upset by this.

• wildtrapjake

@MandyTalk thoughts?

• wildtrapjake

So I guess if we are being really granular, I technically didn't have to ask. I was just curious of people interpretations in this specific example.

I myself would've also given props if this occured to me, while on the flip side if I were stuck for like 5 mins would've been agitated.

• wildtrapjake

As always, that's an interpretation, and not a bad one.

I find cheap to be an interesting description in this case though. I could've alternatively just slugged them?

I feel this situation was more creative (and at least different from the norm).

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Well technically you can body block someone until their reverse bear trap or endgame collapse kills them which would give them three crows and this will not be considered holding the game hostage or bannable it would be a massive douche move but yet not bannable

• wildtrapjake

That's a good point. You could just sit in front of the jigsaw box they need.