The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Matchmaking Woes

I've been playing this game for a while now. I've always been a big fan of the game-play and mechanics of dbd. However, since the latest patch my love for the game is slowly dwindling. This has started to happen because while the game is great, matchmaking has somehow became worse! I'm currently a rank 8/9 survivor main on Xbox. Yet, 9 out of 10 games my killer is either a level 18 -20 or a red rank....... how is that remotely good match making? If they are 18 - 20, they literally have no idea what's going on and the game is boring. If they are red rank they just blow through our team because half the team is level 12 - 14. Am I supposed to believe that no killer exist at rank 5 - 17? I'm told this is an issue too for mid level killers from my killer main friends. How is anyone on either side supposed to enjoy the game when they are constantly mismatched with other players? This has been a persistent problem since I started the game but has grown more frequent overtime. It's just confusing to me how the issues with core aspects of the game are never fixed but yet new cosmetics are pooped out on the regular. I think the prioties of the dev team needs to shift a little bit.

Comments

• TonsterX99
    TonsterX99 Member Posts: 14

I was just streaming and encountered the same issue as killer (I'm rank 11-12 killer and a rank 10 survivor). I had one match that was against red ranks, and the very next match was against 18-19. I honestly don't understand if it's based on rank or skill and it's jarring to try to play any killer you're not used too when you don't know what you're up against. Same with survivor. How am I supposed to get better at looping when the rank 18 doesn't know how to loop and the rank 1 destroys me before I get the chance too.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,403

Matchmaking is bad, no doubt. But i dont know how it was better for you before the patch. I see posts like yours every week. Matchmaking was always bad, lets just hope it gets fixed with the MMR.

• DeRumpRanger
    DeRumpRanger Member Posts: 13

I didn't say it was much better. I would get an equal ranked oppent probably 3 to 4 out of 10 games. So compared to now it was better.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

As Survivor, I played 8 games yesterday and did not get a single Red Ranked Killer.

As Killer, I did not encounter a single Survivor outside of Red Ranks.

That's just my experience, for reference, I play on Xbox without Crossplay.

• DemoFrog
    DemoFrog Member Posts: 193

I play Xbox WITH Crossplay and have the exact same issue.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Last week I had a 16 point rank defecit.

16 points. On a 20 point scale.

• DeRumpRanger

That's wild honestly lmfao. I feel your pain

• StereoHEAD43
    StereoHEAD43 Member Posts: 53

Rank 8 killer here, I keep getting red rank SWF instead of Purple or Green ranks. It's a pain to even play this game as killer anymore

• TMCalypso
    TMCalypso Member Posts: 336

In my own experience it is not fun playing killer as the people I get matched with far exceed my own skill level EVERY GAME. I used to be able to stay in the low purple high green range playing killer...now I can't leave yellow. Lately every group I played with has at least one survivor ranging from rank 1 to 5. My current rank as killer has not left the 11 - 14 range. It doesn't help that I jump from killer to killer randomly as I play them all, including the ones I hate to use. Had one game with all rank 1 survivors. I was beaten down to a rank 15 before that one. I have no clue why a yellow rank killer is going up against 4 rank 1's. Thankfully that was the only time.

I am going to take a guess and say that if you have ever gotten close to the red ranks then the system will pair you with them regardless of where you are at now. As killer, I admit I have a ways to go. The highest I should be facing right now is green ranks. A second guess I am gong to throw out there is that SWF is throwing the system off. What I mean by that is, one person playing in red ranks while the rest are green or yellow would draw in weaker killers. Or vice versa, with one yellow rank survivor and the rest purple/red ranks. Not saying they do this intentionally, just the after affects of a system not designed for SWF.

The reason I make those guesses is because of my experience as survivor. I am currently rank 6 as survivor and the highest I have reached is 2 (that was some time ago though.) I tend to fluctuate between ranks 3 and 7. I should not be in these ranks. At all. I should be in the higher green ranks as...again...I admit that I am not as good as I would like to be. When I play solo I tend to struggle against purple rank killers and red ranks make me into a joke. I should be about even with the green rank killers. What throws it off? I believe it is when I play with friends.

The 2 I usually play with are often busy with work and personal stuff so they just can't put in the time to rank up like I can. One friend should be in the green ranks...but because she has to work, take care of kids, clean...and do almost everything herself, she just can't devote the time...so she is stuck in the lower ranks. That being said, she is fairly good at the game and would far exceed me if she could master looping effectively. The other friend I often play with should be in the purple ranks...but due to time having to work and whatnot, can only stay in the green ranks (plus he consistently gets tunneled and camped whenever he plays, not even a reason for it.) He is far better than me but is prone to letting his rage take control. These are the 2 I play with most. Add one of our other friends who RARELY ever play, and the killers we tend to pull in are pretty much new or inexperienced. when its is 4 of us we NEVER see a killer higher than green. If the 3 of us who mostly play are together, it is usually around green or yellow ranks for a killer. Just 2 of us and it is anyone's guess.

I think it is safe to say that the current ranking system just doesn't, and will never, work as intended. Whenever they so implement MMR finally, I do hope they have it set to track survivor's skills in solo and SWF separately.

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 753

As someone that’s never been red rank killer, barely green. I get so many red ranks. Last week me I got 4 3-4 red rank swfs, one was all four r1. I was playing Hag too with one perk lol

• DeRumpRanger

I'm happy to see it's not just me who gets this stuff

• PlunderingPanda
    PlunderingPanda Member Posts: 112

Personally I hate running for 5 gens. i've done it (not often). But even when I do run for 3+ gens, if the killer hasn't caught me by the time we get to 3 gens, I know they're going to camp me if/when I get downed.

• T0thLewis
    T0thLewis Member Posts: 38

Tell me about it. Matchmaking is abysmal, how is this fair?

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Where are you all playing from? That has something to do with whom you play against...

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

When I play Killer (R11) I tend to face All ranks which make sense due to the matchmaking just wanting to get games going... AKA Not really looking at MMR but looking at Connections

I play on NA East

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

That looks more like a SWF smurf squad trying to use a low rank friend to game the match making to get easier games.

Mind you this can happen naturally but its quiet rare compared to SWF doing it on purpose.

• DeRumpRanger

I agree from all sides the matchmaking should be closer to even. It's just a broken system

• T0thLewis
    T0thLewis Member Posts: 38

Being a rank 7 or 8 is the worst. Constant red ranks who do literally everything to make the game as annoying as possible. Notification distraction, body blocking, genrushing, I am literally just trying to level up killers but with the teams I am getting it's near impossible and I get out with less than 18k bloodpoints every round. Not even enough to go up a level. It's ######### grindy, abysmal and a misery to play killers now.

Either fix the matchmaking or separate ranks into each killers, survs, w.e...

Playing games are now just an annoyance rather than fun, because I get absolutely ######### demolished every round. I literally have to camp endgame to AT LEAST get 1K or 2K and people hate me for it, rightfully. Because I have no chance in winning a single game when I face 1 or 2 red ranks every round. Playing killer is not fun unless I start to de-pip madly which is a bannable offence afaik.