Rethinking salt inducing challenges

aylawell
aylawell Member Posts: 119

I'm the type of player that loves completing the rift challenges.. usually they are fun, and some are a real challenge (for me anyway, I'm a decent average pretty much, but by no means an expert)

So when I get ready for a challenge thats a bit involved (I'm sure you know the ones) I prepare the best I can.. whip out my leatherface with perks best suited to try and bang it out (no I don't face camp and honestly try my best not to tunnel)..

But come on.. some of these challenges literally force you to treat the survivors like crap to get it done.. and the salt I receive for completing some of these things is kind of stressful..actually, really stressful.

I don't want to set everyone up for endgame collapse kills, or be forced into bringing Mori's.. or, oddly enough, basement hook challenges (which apparently ppl hate)

I'm not suggesting they just be easy, just not something that's going to get you hated on for trying to complete.. anyone else with me on this?

Comments

• Airless
    Airless Member Posts: 156

BHvr has run out of ideas for challenges about 3 tomes ago. We usually see the same challenges every time and most aren't fun to do and, like you mentioned, make play in a certain infun way. Sadly I don't expect this to be changed soon.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,112

I still remember that Tome one challenge of using NOED to take out 2 survivors endgame. Those were tough times! :D

I prefered the single challenge ones that required certain perks to the "earn 5 devout emblems in silver" ones as they were more involved.

I'd like to see some more unusual ones, such as completing the gen in the main building; find a glowing cell batch in the arena or even taking a hit yourself whilst saving a survivor off the hook in the endgame collapse. Killers are a bit trickier for variety, but maybe defending the main building gen or discover some lore within the realm.

I know there are better suggestions, but I think either more things need to be added to the trials (even as a one off, such as those red thingies), or even allow a set amount of trials to use perks that player may not have to complete a challenge using it.

• aylawell

Tome one dark senses was the hardest one for me.. took me over a year of randomly trying it before I got lucky xd

• OhMissSully
    OhMissSully Member Posts: 19

My favorite are the ones that are near impossible due to bugs and/or highly common playstyles. For example: Tome V, Level 4 "Stun the Killer 4 times in a single match." Right now, with the pallet bug and the way many killers respect pallets, you'd be lucky to get even two stuns off in a single match, let alone 4.

Oh, and that awful Any Means Necessary one from this last tome. You almost need the killer's cooperation for that one.

• Beelzeboop
    Beelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

Just look at these challenges:

Three Iridescent Malicious emblems. You basically need to get a 4k to even have a chance at getting an Iri Malicious.

35 pallets or gens, three times. Totaling 105 break animations. You'd need to break every single pallet on the Game four times to do that. That's over four minutes of just watching the killer's foot slowly move back and forth.

Four survivors hooked in the basement at the same time. Hope no one brought kindred. Insidious Bubba time.

Grabs.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,039

There wont be that much more unusual challenges. DBD-players want it as easy as possible, so they complained about the Challenges in Tome 1, when it takes them more than 1 game to complete them.

So we will have more Challenges which are like "Break 25 Pallets/Generators" or "Repair 15 Generators" and stuff like that. Because those are easy enough for the standard-DBD-player.

But because the Challenges should not be done in 2 hours, they need to be grindy. So yeah, thanks to the players who are not willing to go out of their way (or their Perk Build) for more than 1 game, we have those super-grindy and boring Challenges.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,112

This website has randomly generated win conditions, but some are rather interesting or fun, without being toxic. Worth checking out and maybe BHVR might get some ideas for challenges too:

https://dbd-randomizer.com/DBD-Randomizer.php

• aylawell

I've read this 5 times but I'm still unsure of the meaning..can you elaborate a bit more?

• aylawell

Actually nm, the 6th time was the charm I guess xd, I get it now. Here's something to chew on.. we have stun killer challenges x times in one match.. or even total across however many matches.. why does a flashlight "STUN" no longer apply to these challenges?

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Even better is resetting a pallet with lucky break and stunning them with it

Not like stuns don’t work at the moment just release the challenge!

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

The worst salt inducing challenges are better done by bribing (at least as Killer) burn BPS and signal them to farm, thats the way Ive done some of the worst like "grab people" or "smash someone after running X meters as Oni" (never played Oni, unlocked him for this tome).

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,465

I remember doing that one... Oh god was it annoying. I finally did it but I had to play really badly and scummy to get it done.

I'm talking DS, a pallet stun and 2 head on hits to get it done.

so much so that after the game I was asked why I was so bad. When I told them it was for a challenge and that I was sorry about it; they asked me "Why throw a game just for a challenge?" Hears the answer, because they force you to do some of them in a single match so sometimes you have to.

Some of the challenge encourage toxic play and I'm never a fan of those.